• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anim07734

NFA: Dungeon Delver

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Getting over that 30 second threshold meant that I could no longer count them, which was disappointing.

When your tuck front levers leveled up beyond the mini's threshold, advancing your training to something like tuck front levers with one leg extended, for example, should have served to put your AMSAP back into the mini's allowed time range.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hazard said:

When your tuck front levers leveled up beyond the mini's threshold, advancing your training to something like tuck front levers with one leg extended, for example, should have served to put your AMSAP back into the mini's allowed time range.

Sure, I get that but I'm sure you can appreciate that going from 32,23,19 (74 seconds) to 4,2,2 (8 seconds) can be disappointing, just because I was able to beat the cutoff by 2 seconds for one of three holds.  I feel like a bit of a baby complaining about this though... :D 

With regard to the 20 rep cap, after having thought about it over the weekend I respectfully withdraw the suggestion.  I could think of countless ways to game that system, and in order to account for it would require tons of new rules.  

On 10/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I have a question about the AMRAP limits.  I can understand why we wouldn't want to allow rep farming just for points, but would it possible to put a cap on them instead of just throwing them out?  For example, If I have an AMRAP of 50 pushups and I do 47 and hit failure, I am not putting in much less effort than someone with an AMRAP of 19 who gets in 18.  Would it be possible to allow for exercises with AMRAPs higher than 20, but put a cap on them so only 20 of them count?    I ran into this issue with AMSAP as well, because when the challenge started my tuck front lever AMSAP was about 10 seconds but by the end I was up to 32 seconds (but only when fresh).  Getting over that 30 second threshold meant that I could no longer count them, which was disappointing.

So the long answer to your question is: the 20 AMRAP limit that we use for most minis is a compromise developed over a couple years to accomodate the most people while still forcing them to advance.  While higher rep ranges have their place, we generally focus on strength training, where progress requires you to periodically move to a harder difficulty.  As shown in this chart (from Practical Programming for Strength Training, and featured in Strength Training 101 on the NF blog):

14jbF_aGplRLIWdLQefrTGvqgJo1fu6CL3nJPrdO

The benefits of strength training are best served at AMRAP ranges under 20.

The 30sec AMSAP limit is a similar compromise, but has less research available to support it, so I'm open to discussing a different threshold number.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:23 AM, Hazard said:

As Hazard suggests, you're expected to advance your training program as the mini progresses.  In the past, we ran minis where you had to pick a few exercises at the start and those were the only ones that counted for the mini.  The biggest complaint was that it prevented people from advancing when their performance improved, especially if the mini lasted multiple challenges.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:23 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Sure, I get that but I'm sure you can appreciate that going from 32,23,19 (74 seconds) to 4,2,2 (8 seconds) can be disappointing, just because I was able to beat the cutoff by 2 seconds for one of three holds.  I feel like a bit of a baby complaining about this though... :D 

With regard to the 20 rep cap, after having thought about it over the weekend I respectfully withdraw the suggestion.  I could think of countless ways to game that system, and in order to account for it would require tons of new rules.  

Keep in mind that while most programs have discreet steps along an exercise progression, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own steps in between them.  One of the biggest advantages of bodyweight training is that we have infinite variety to explore.  If one step in a progression is too easy and the next too hard, play around in the area between them until you find something that works for you.

Using your front levers as an example, you can try partially extending one leg instead of jumping straight from tuck levers to a full one-leg lever.  Or try an angled lever with one or both legs extended to adjust the difficulty.

All that said, we try to vary the focus of the minis to compliment the most common goals we see people pursuing and to maintain interest and motivation.  If anyone has suggestions for activities they'd like to see, let us know and we can discuss how to include them and score everything fairly. :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

So the long answer to your question is: the 20 AMRAP limit that we use for most minis is a compromise developed over a couple years to accomodate the most people while still forcing them to advance. 

Thanks for the explanation.  It makes sense.