• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron's Spandex Season Begins

On 9/19/2018 at 12:23 AM, raptron said:

HELLO ALL: HERE IS A FREE FLEXIBILITY RESOURCE I JUST GOT TODAY.

It's gymnastics focused, but relevant for folks working on splits and overhead mobility. 

It's interesting to see the overlap/various with some of the circus resources. :) You may want to download it now if you are interested because I'm not sure how long it'll be hosted on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9b20kpo9i0venm/10 Minute Shoulder and Flexibility Circuits_v2.pdf

THANK YOU!  This looks super helpful

3 hours ago, @mu said:

Awesome thanks for sharing! I recognised a few Cirque Physio drills and some GMB stuff too.

That bit was very interesting to read:

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think it's a little similar with strength - sometimes it takes a little while or extra work to be able to apply raw strength gains to skills. For example in climbing if someone trains explosive pull ups or whatever it doesn't always translate straight away to climbing more explosively without additional mindful practice.

When you can put force into something -- say in a leap or jump, you can sometimes push to try to get close your passive range of motion by any means necessary, which can translate to bent legs, flexed feet, turning out/unsquare hips, etc. The control isn't really there to get them to the same place without the use of force (think a needle against the wall/pushing against something versus trying to get it without or a split on the wall versus a hanging split) until you really start to train it specifically. You technically can REACH both of those but don't have the strength to get there/support yourself or the control to make it look nice or not cheat through.

Day 1.3

bc957296580c4bb13bd846980fad871c.png

I had to hustle and get this workout through to make it out to dinner with a good friend of mine -- I guessed a reveal/twist in Sharp Objects, having not read the book, and she said she'd buy me dinner. HOWEVER, we accidentally spent $180 on our meal because we went fancy... We split it this time. :P 

Workout √√

Mobilized pecs √√

My workout plan for the rest of the week is holding strong in my mind. I did just schedule a dry needling consult/appointment for next Monday too, so I can at least try a session of that before my vacation. :) 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, raptron said:

When you can put force into something -- say in a leap or jump, you can sometimes push to try to get close your passive range of motion by any means necessary, which can translate to bent legs, flexed feet, turning out/unsquare hips, etc. The control isn't really there to get them to the same place without the use of force (think a needle against the wall/pushing against something versus trying to get it without or a split on the wall versus a hanging split) until you really start to train it specifically. You technically can REACH both of those but don't have the strength to get there/support yourself or the control to make it look nice or not cheat through.

Makes total sense. :) Also jumps are frickin' HARD yo! Much awkward coordination.

• Like 1

Day 1.4

giphy.gif

The full days of work training this week and last week (seriously... I lived in the conference room for 6 work days) added up to make me very freaking tired.

I had planned to go gymnastics practice, but I left work a bit early to get a haircut. While I had the best intentions, once I got home, I just took a nap instead of gearing up to go back out to gymnastics. There's a reason I usually don't go home before trying to make it to the gym. :P

However, with the plan of lifting tonight, practice tomorrow, and lifting Sunday, I'll get in 4x lifting I had hoped for this week. 

• Like 1

pinkguy.gif

Day 1.5

c80e297f3ad57183c28138a8c6e988b7.png

These went pretty well, tbh. The gym was weirdly empty until pretty late, so I was able to get through things relatively quickly. I actually did all of my deadlift sets after 290# at 275# because I was sharing a bar with someone and was too lazy to unload it farther than that. 

Day 1.6

I decided to forego tumbling on Saturday because my left hip has been bothering me and it's the kicking leg for all tumbling, so I thought I'd be good for once and give it a break. Most of my practice was on balance beam. I started doing handstand step-down into back walkovers on the high beam as preparation for when I want to do a back walkover out of my back handsprings for my acro series (fingers crossed). They were a mixed success, but a good step in the process. I also work on a bunch of back handsprings, getting them back up to the high beam with all of the mats. I threw in a bunch of front walkovers for a good bit as well. Solid day for acro on balance beam.

Ended with some sprint conditioning and stretching. I went to a comics event after practice for a bit, made corn and scallop chowder, read on the porch, took a nap, and then met my friend out for a few drinks. 

Day 1.7

c0916437a03606bf75e6b3e87b7ad096.png

Got up Sunday feeling pretty good, so I went to the gym and got this workout done. Right hip is still being twinge-y after squats, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the week before. I did some rings L-sits for core work plus some attempts at static handstand holds, but I was noodling around all over the place -- I think my abs forgot that they're supposed to participate in handstands too. :P

Workout √√√√√√

Mobilized pecs √√√

Day 2.1

I had a physical therapy consult this morning with a new place that does dry needling. I have to self-pay because I've already run through my covered PT visits for the year (and they don't take my insurance anyway). It's a bit frustrating to not be able to describe what it is that is wrong with my shoulder, especially because it usually doesn't HURT anymore, it just feels like something isn't letting me use my muscles correctly. I also have good mobility so the mobility tests usually fail to turn up anything too "OFF" but the guy was very nice and patient listening to me grasp at trying to describe it. We did some testing, he gave me some warm-up exercises to add in to my workouts, and we did a dry needling session. It was weird, but I guess I'll see if anything feels different/better in the next week or so. Right now it just feels bad. 

I made another appointment for when I'm back from vacation and we're mostly going to see about short term solutions before my powerlifting meet on Oct 13, but hopefully come up with more helpful things in the long-term after that.

UMMMM -- I leave for Europe tomorrow, you guys! 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, raptron said:

I also have good mobility so the mobility tests usually fail to turn up anything too "OFF"

I hate when this happens. But at least the guy listened as opposed to saying everything looks awesome, go home.

HAVE AN AWESOME TRIPPPP!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I hate when this happens. But at least the guy listened as opposed to saying everything looks awesome, go home.

Yeah, I'll be trying to come up with more defined ways of describing my problems with it before our next appointment so I don't feel so silly. :)

Rest of Day 2.1

242H.gif

250c58c84657d6446df4ac807d4dde54.png

Workout 

Mobilized pecs 

My flight out is tonight at 7pm. I plan on lifting at least twice on vacation -- especially since I was able to cram my lifting belt into my backpack. I only could fit one set of workout clothes, but I can just wash them after I wear them. It'd be kind of cool to get a work out in in each city, but I am not TOO pressed about it. :P 

Ahhh, I'm excited. I'll probably not check in too much because I'm not bringing a laptop and am not a huge forums-on-my-phone person, but I'll definitely be instagramming it up.

• Like 5

Catching up too!

This shoulder thing... :huh: it has improved though, right? It's pretty annoying when you feel something is not quite right but are not sure how to fix it.

Enjoying Europe I hope (where in Europe?)

OK, HI! I AM BACK.

I went to Munich for Oktoberfest, Budapest to visit a couple of friends, and Barcelona because Barceloooona + I had never been there before and would feel a bit silly going to Europe to only go to places I've already visited + got a direct flight back to Boston for a very cheap. Thoughts/reflections:

• I trained twice, like I had set as a goal, but not 3x like I had set as a reach goal. √√
  • I only did pec mobilization once, but I did other PT things 3x. √
  • Walked an average of 12 miles/day so it's not like I was inactive 
  • Vacation was relaxing and convenient because most of my travel was with one of my best friends who is super easy to please
  • However, by the end, I did have some decision fatigue because super easy to please people don't usually bother to give much input on decision-making, so I did 98% of the planning and 98% of the decision-making on this trip
  • But that just means doing LESS STUFF, which is okay sometimes!
  • It's always fun to know people where you are visiting, but when you are somewhere you don't know anyone, you can meet very unexpected people!
  • Naps are always great
  • We stumbled upon a drag performer who did saxophone versions of the lyrics instead of lip syncing and WHAT?!! THAT IS REVOLUTIONARY! I LOVE IT! I WANT MORE OF IT!
  • The timing to plan workouts was hard with the schedule of staying out late/napping/meal timing
  • I missed my workout schedule and semi-healthy eating habits (omg I need vegetables ASAP) a ton by the end of vacation

Unfortunately for my theme, I wore not very much spandex, but anyway:

Dirndl-ing it up

36fe3e3adf38e23ec09ab229b1d6dd8a.png

Drunk park handstands in Budapest

49f73d0f187c49deeebd71a18b21f157.png

Labyrinth park handstands in Barcelona

f6c068fbec53543d1fed9434c06e135f.png

Finish the Challenge/Pre-meet PLAN

Friday - lift

Sat - gymnastics practice

Sun - rest + meal prepping

Mon - lift my openers for the meet

Tues - gymnastics

Weds - 50% 1rm weights for big 3

Thurs - full rest

Fri - rest but maybe some light yoga

Sat - MEET DAY~

• Like 3

What a trip! Really cool pics! That last HS one is purrrrrfect!

On 10/5/2018 at 10:36 PM, raptron said:

super easy to please people don't usually bother to give much input on decision-making

ha ha that's so true!

I'm excited about your meet! When was your last one?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, @mu said:

I'm excited about your meet! When was your last one?

Last December! It's been a little while. I've tested my maxes once... I think, since then and saw improvements for squat and deadlift. Bench HAD improved back in May but it's deteriorated over the summer. I had hit 150# for 2 back in April or May but have been struggling with 135# recently. It's a bummer, but I'm trying not to let it get me down. I think it's related to my shoulder weirdness.

I submitted my openers and am planning to open with a 260# squat, 125# bench, and 270# deadlift. I'd have liked to start higher on deadlift, but it's just so unpredictable for me that it's better to just play it super safe with my opener and crank it up from there. I'm just planning to SHOW UP and see what happens, given that my training cycle has been pretty weird the last few months. :P 

tumblr_inline_mnxk2eIspX1qz4rgp.gif

Day 3.5

"Welp I'm off program now so anything goes" workout. I wanted to make sure I did all 3 lifts, so I did top sets at

5 x 2 x 255# squat

5 x 2 x 125# paused bench

3 x 2 x 285# sumo deadlift

Then went out for some dinner and drinks with folks from the gym. I'm slowly worming my way into the community, haha.

Day 3.6

First gymnastics practice in two weeks! Some front tumbling passes, which went nicely, on floor. Then I went through beam basics before working on back handsprings (back on that fear grind) on the low beam and front walkovers. I'm also working on handstand + step-down into back walkover to try to get used to the connection I'm aiming for in the future -- back handspring into back walkover for a new acrobatic beam series. On floor, I also tried to connect front walkover into back handspring without a pause, but it is surprisingly hard. That would be a really fun series to do on beam though. Someeeeday. :P 

I kept it light because I didn't want to get too crazy with the powerlifting meet on the horizon. 

Day 3.7

Sunday I felt very cooped up from having no plans Friday or Saturday night (A RAPTRON AT REST GETS VERY BORED), so I lurched out of the house around noon. I did some errands, walked around some various flea markets and pop-up shops, got tea, got a waffle, wandered some more, met up with a friend for a bit, etc.

Some hours later, I wandered home and I made a LARGE batch of shredded chicken with peanut sauce + rice + roasted broccoli with some rice vinegar and sesame oil. I have 4 packs for lunch over the week plus lots of extra chicken for dinners.

Workouts: √√√

Pec mobilization: √√

Schedule from my previous remains the same as we go into week four slash MEET WEEK. :) 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, raptron said:

Schedule from my previous remains the same as we go into week four slash MEET WEEK. :) 

EXCITING!!

• Like 1

uky4daz.gif

(Not spandex but relevant anyway)

Day 4.1

My openers went really well! I did...

3 singles at 260# for squat

8 paused singles at 125# for bench (just checking)

5 singles for deadlifts at 270#.

Other than warming up, I didn't do anything else and left the gym. I made a tomato based chicken, red bean, and cauliflower stew. It was a bit spicier than I intended, but still pretty good for something I threw together with no plan. 

My weight is a bit high/outside my weight class following my vacation -- which is not a surprise at all! On Friday, I weighed in at 152 lbs, but this morning I'm at 149.2 lbs (just de-bloating, really). I need to be under 148.8 lbs during weigh-in on Saturday morning to compete in the class I signed up for. I've generally been between 146-148 in recent months, so I expect it'll gravitate back down naturally now that I am back in my home setting.  I'm 99% sure I'll dip under the weight limit easily just by not eating like an asshole over the next 3-4 days. :P 

I will say that not thinking about scale weight is one advantage to gymnastics meets! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, raptron said:

I will say that not thinking about scale weight is one advantage to gymnastics meets! 

Squat booty FTW! :lol:

Day 4.2

I went to gymnastics practice and didn't really do much, haha. I warmed up on floor but our director (whom we all have a beef with) has opened up our gym reservations to yet another local area team, which would be kind of neat if we had more space. We do nottt, however, so there were an absurd number of people in the gym. And it was really hot in there because we're having a weird October heatwave... Basically, I just went to practice to complain about being hot and that the gym was too crowded. :P

I did some bars basics, but my calluses have pretty much evaporated (except for my deadlift ones, which are not in the same place). Bars was kind of painful and I didn't want to spend too long there because I don't want rips in advance of Saturday. I did beam dance basics, my back handsprings (#handspringseverypractice) on the low beam without mats, and some handstand into back walkovers again on the high beam. I figured out a good cue for keeping my back walkovers straighter ("watch your hands the entire time!") so that is a good thing at least.

Finished up with ankle prehab and some shoulder PT and left about 15 minutes early. 

148.2# this am. :encouragement:

• Like 4

glad to see the weight came back without too much strife! would you have just competed in the bigger weight class and potentially been outmatched by those on the higher end of that spectrum?

13 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

glad to see the weight came back without too much strife! would you have just competed in the bigger weight class and potentially been outmatched by those on the higher end of that spectrum?

Nah, I would have spit in a cup on my drive over. :P Still might if I'm really close, haha! It's a 15# class. I don't really want to be up against 165s. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, raptron said:

Nah, I would have spit in a cup on my drive over. :P Still might if I'm really close, haha! It's a 15# class. I don't really want to be up against 165s. 

Not saying that extra weight gives some extra oomph, but yea...

Glad you got back down. Almost time for you to kick ass and chew bubble gum.

• Like 1

Prep week is going WELL, please pay attention to your legs & arms, and do not twist an ankle or a wrist the day before! :P no seriously!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, @mu said:

Prep week is going WELL, please pay attention to your legs & arms, and do not twist an ankle or a wrist the day before! :P no seriously!

Hahah, for real! I definitely was extra cautious at practice. :) 

giphy.gif

Day 4.3

Stuck to my light weights for squat, bench, and deadlift.

Squat 3 x 5 x 155#

Bench 5 x 5 x 95# w/pause

Deadlift 3 x 5 x 185#

3 single pull-ups, hah. And then I left! Belt and shoes in tow. :)

Day 4.4

Rested! Finished a book that started out enjoyable in a fluff read kind of way and quickly descended into terribleness (my friend lent it to me), watched Atomic Blonde finally (omgggggggg. I'm in love), and finished up Alyssa Edwards' Dancing Queen show on Netflix. Some of the dancers (WILLOW!!!!) are so amazing. It makes me want to work on my flexibility more, hah.

Finish the Challenge/Pre-meet PLAN

Friday - lift

Sat - gymnastics practice

Sun - rest + meal prepping

Mon - lift my openers for the meet

Tues - gymnastics

Weds - 50% 1rm weights for big 3

Thurs - full rest

Fri - rest but maybe some light yoga

Sat - MEET DAY~

147.6# this am. I HOPE MY HOME SCALE IS ACTUALLY ACCURATE, lol. 

I've got clothes for yoga during lunch today. After work, I'll pick up a bunch of meet snacks (yesss) and try to get to bed a bit early.  Maybe by 10pm? Luckily the meet is pretty close, so I will probably get up around 6 AM for the 7 AM weigh-in.

Some of the people I'm doing the meet with are doing their weigh-ins today, but I have a meeting that goes until 5 (optimistically) and there's no way I could make it out to get weighed in before the window closes at 6:30 pm, with rain traffic and having to rely on a ride. So instead of being fun and getting dinner with the crew, I'll just hole myself up in the house hahah. Maybe I'll make cookies. :P

• Like 2