• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Treva

Treva Comes Home: Zombieland/L4D2 & Acoustic/Guitar

On 10/9/2018 at 6:24 PM, Mistr said:

Steve Kamb has a video of doing inverted rows using your kitchen table. This assumes you have a sturdy table. I think the door frame idea is safer.

15 hours ago, WhiteBeltBrowncoat said:

I tried to do the rows using the table once and just about flipped it over onto me. Definitely recommend the door frame version.

Yeah I have a fear that the table rows will kill me by way of potential darwin award.  I'll be working on the door frame version for sure.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:17 AM, Kishi said:

Burpees are definitely a good option for cardio. More good cardio options include mountain climbers, squat jumps, "grasshoppers" (from push up position, take ankle to opposite hand, back and repeat), sit outs (from push up position, twist body into side plank position and stick leg out opposite side). KB exercises for cardio include the swing and the snatch; both will work the heart, with Swings emphasizing the hamstrings and Snatches emphasizing the thighs. Be mindful, however, that Snatches are a more skillful movement and you can bang yourself up if you're not careful with them.

Burpees are a great idea.  Grasshoppers sound hard, but sitouts might be manageable, it sounds like a pilates move.  I will never give up the swing, and I'll think long and hard about Snatches before I try them.

Thank you for the upper body workouts!  I know I can try the supermans, and the door rows sound like a good idea.  I'll have to make sure I'm doing rows properly, and i'll need to look up presses.  I appreciate "strong" and "stronger" sides ^_^ I am learning I have more muscle than I may give myself credit for.  

On 10/9/2018 at 11:17 AM, Kishi said:

Keep in mind - a good way to get better at a thing is to do that thing a lot. There's nothing wrong with assistive exercises, but there is potential for burnout and overloading those movement patterns. So whatever you do, be mindful, and don't be afraid to stop if you get some pain that doesn't feel right.

This is a good warning and I appreciate you being adamant about it.  I am sure I could always get carried away with cross training between the instrument, weights, bodyweight, and cardio, which now that we're laying it out, sounds like a lot.  I'm going to be careful.  this is a new type of adventure I'm embarking on, what with the weights and the muscle building.  Caution is never unwarranted.

I agree with Kishi on supermans. There are several variations that work different muscles in the shoulders. All of them start by lying face down and extending the legs so that only the hips and thighs are touching the mat. Arm options: straight above the head, straight out from the shoulders, "hands-up" with elbows straight out from the shoulders bent at 90º, elbows in at sides with forearms out at 90º, or arms pointed towards feet with shoulder blades squeezed together. The first four came from my physical therapist when I had shoulder complaints. The last one is from a yoga series. Hold 30-60 seconds, relax, and do another set.

MODIFICAAAAATIONSSSSSS thank you so much!!!!!!  These are great!!! Thank you thank you! My first yoga teacher always gave us modifications when learning new movements. 

I'm a big fan of ankle circles. Stand on one foot and do rotations with the other foot, 30 circles each direction. If you want to add a balance component, do it with your eyes closed. ;) You can add in toe raises whenever you are standing around waiting for something. You have tea in the microwave for a minute, do a set of toe raises.

This is a great idea, especially the things I can do while standing around for a minute or so.  My current rotation is a "hurry up and wait" type deal, so a set of toe raises or ankle circles for a few seconds is something I can do.

As for the self-image issues at the gym, looking like you know what you are doing counts for much more than superficial appearance. You can be a badass who goes in and does feats of strength with any type of physique. It won't be long before you are intimidating all those buff guys.

I trust your wisdom.  I know I gang up on myself a bit for superficial appearances, but you're right, being able to bang out reps like I know what i'm doing is more important.  And, actually knowing what I'm doing is the most important.

I hope so!  I was at a wedding rehearsal last night and all the groomsmen looked at me and said "you don't need help moving this piano, you look like you could take down all of us".  The one who went to school with me said "I know I have seen her in the weight room."  

This is the point at which I flail my arms and scream "obscure kettlebell exercises!" because I get uncomfortable.  

So this week!  The tech week from hell!

I made it to the gym sunday (yay), and I discovered adding new things to my routine is hard and I have this bias of "if I'm working out at home, I'm not working out hard enough".  But I did my S&S reps and follows up with 5 sets each side of the ballet exercises (some of those are hard!  Especially the extended side plank) on Thursday.  The whole thing took me 45 minutes, which I didn't expect since my S&S timing was on point.  But I guess 5-6  different exercises taking 5-6 minutes each would constitute a workout, and I did sweat some.  I need to set that time aside, but I'm glad I can just sit at home and bang out a good workout if I'm in a crunch.  

Otherwise, my playing is improving.  My confidence at the instrument is better, and I realized the reason why I am struggling at one instrument in particular is because the repertoire I'm playing is not at all appropriate for the way the instrument is designed.  Now that I have about a month before I have to play there again (instead of doing what I did before, which was pull all the emergency just-add-water pieces I normally can use) so it's plenty of time to work up new pieces that will work better.

And, of course, my feet are not as tongue tied as they were a month ago.  

Diet: Solid (ish), breakfast and lunch are as scheduled.  Dinner sometimes gets a little hinky--I have these black rice ramen noodles I've been whipping up with a traditional miso broth, frozen veggies, baked chicken, egg, and tofu--that's been my healthy version of my favorite ramen, and it seems to be working for the most part.  

Night time cooldown: got a little shafted this week because of coming home at weird times.

Be present: playlist: YES.  Dulcimer: no.  Again

Head for the horizon: My last "big" gig for a while is this afternoon, so I'm looking forward to playing my best this afternoon and after that honing in on learning new pieces and developing my skills some more.

Personal note: LOOKIT YOU TREVA.  playing your best this afternoon.  Progress!!

this is also helped by the fact that the people holding the wedding are completely blown away by my musical shtuff.  They just had this deer in headlights look, blurted "THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING how did you do that.  How did that happen?  did you buy that music?  You a r r a n g e d   i t    y o u r s e l f????" 

It's been eye opening.  I am so used to "that was fine but like you have these three sixteenth notes on the second page at the top that are killing you let's workshop that", that I forget to come down from that level. 

Know thy enemy:

I am realizing these gigs really did take a chunk of time, and I have been using the rest of my time to, well, rest.  I've figured out what learning I want to do next though; I found the next book I want to buy for the spring, and I do feel ready for post-step 2 studying. 

I even sat down and started reading and taking notes on one of my organ magazines/literature pieces.  And I read some of the articles from my new MPPA journals!!!!  They're so exciting and really the kind of research I want to do, except today I am interested in heat stroke.

So, here's hoping my afternoon goes like this

giphy.webp

Happy hunting, everyone.

• Like 3

fun fact: my playing went As the Above Gif Demonstrates and I am pleased, tired, ready to check in all ya'lls blogs, and thank yee kindly for all your support.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, Treva said:

Burpees are a great idea.  Grasshoppers sound hard, but sitouts might be manageable, it sounds like a pilates move.  I will never give up the swing, and I'll think long and hard about Snatches before I try them.

Well, believe it or not, they're very similar motions if you look them up. Grasshoppers are basically just twisting mountain climbers; if you look 'em up on YouTube, there's really not that much to them.

This is a good warning and I appreciate you being adamant about it.  I am sure I could always get carried away with cross training between the instrument, weights, bodyweight, and cardio, which now that we're laying it out, sounds like a lot.  I'm going to be careful.  this is a new type of adventure I'm embarking on, what with the weights and the muscle building.  Caution is never unwarranted.

Mhm. TBF, you kind of remind me of myself, in that you like what you do and you also want to do All The Things to make it better. This can serve well, and it can also hurt you or burn you out, and that is not a thing that makes life better.

Mind, recovery is part of the training. If you can recover well from all of this, then well and good, right? But if you're not recovering - if you're not getting those adaptations - then are you really training, or are you simply engaged in volitional struggle? I would argue no. But, if you can do all that you want to do and recover enough to put up a good effort and not feel the Bad Pains after, well, then that's probably training. :)

I made it to the gym sunday (yay), and I discovered adding new things to my routine is hard and I have this bias of "if I'm working out at home, I'm not working out hard enough". 

i-know-that-feel-gif-8.gif

Still, it's just a bias. It's not actually true. You can get hecking strong without a gym if you've got to.

Really glad to hear that music and medicine have gone so well for you!

And here we are, at the end of all things. How'd it go?

Also, heads up to the involved parties: I have deleted @sarakingdom's posts per her request, and deleted yours Treva for purposes of cohesion in topic. Hopefully, everything here should be in order.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, Treva said:

Personal note: LOOKIT YOU TREVA.  playing your best this afternoon.  Progress!!

this is also helped by the fact that the people holding the wedding are completely blown away by my musical shtuff.  They just had this deer in headlights look, blurted "THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING how did you do that.  How did that happen?  did you buy that music?  You a r r a n g e d   i t    y o u r s e l f????" 

It's been eye opening.  I am so used to "that was fine but like you have these three sixteenth notes on the second page at the top that are killing you let's workshop that", that I forget to come down from that level. 

Awesome! Great job in playing well and recognizing how valuable that is to other people. B) 

On 10/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, Treva said:

Know thy enemy:

I am realizing these gigs really did take a chunk of time, and I have been using the rest of my time to, well, rest.  I've figured out what learning I want to do next though; I found the next book I want to buy for the spring, and I do feel ready for post-step 2 studying. 

I even sat down and started reading and taking notes on one of my organ magazines/literature pieces.  And I read some of the articles from my new MPPA journals!!!!  They're so exciting and really the kind of research I want to do, except today I am interested in heat stroke.

I'm glad that you are taking time to rest and figure out what you want to do next. Excellent that you found research that excites you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

And here we are, at the end of all things. How'd it go?

WAIT WHAT it's the end of the challenge?  Already?  I am actually shocked I thought I had more time!!

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Awesome! Great job in playing well and recognizing how valuable that is to other people. B) 

I'm glad that you are taking time to rest and figure out what you want to do next. Excellent that you found research that excites you.

This was an adventure and it was so nice to have.  Thanks!!

I am glad I am taking rest too.  I may even take this break week to recouperate and appropriately plan next steps.  Thank you as always for the support!!

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

Mhm. TBF, you kind of remind me of myself, in that you like what you do and you also want to do All The Things to make it better. This can serve well, and it can also hurt you or burn you out, and that is not a thing that makes life better.

I appreciate this.  I will burn out quickly without questioning it, and just assume it is normal and I'm not working hard enough.

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

Mind, recovery is part of the training. If you can recover well from all of this, then well and good, right? But if you're not recovering - if you're not getting those adaptations - then are you really training, or are you simply engaged in volitional struggle? I would argue no. But, if you can do all that you want to do and recover enough to put up a good effort and not feel the Bad Pains after, well, then that's probably training. :)

This is really helpful.  I think this is why I moved arm day around and tried to make core day less arm involved, and I think I ended up ditching leg day altogether.  I was just too tired to keep going with it.  I am still not sure why I am so tired.

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

i-know-that-feel-gif-8.gif

Still, it's just a bias. It's not actually true. You can get hecking strong without a gym if you've got to.

yis.  It is hard to to get over dis bias, but maybe that is room for growth?

Agh.  Well.  Let's do a post mortem.  

The Rules: 

1. Cardio and 2. Double Tap

Well: Longsword sometimes happened, but not regularly.  Compound and cardio never really happened, because the additional leg day got to be much with all the leg work I do at the organ.  This got switched to ballet day, and I couldn't be happier with that.

Upper body and cardio: I have found my zone with this one, finally.  In the form of pushups and arm hangs

Abs and cardio: this is a good day that worked

I struggled with balancing the time I needed to practice and the time spent at the gym.    

6. Cast Iron Skillet 

Breakfast: Maybe switch to Ham and Egg on one slice of toast--Yes.  Alternatives also included my favorite kodiak cakes, oatmeal with some granola and almond milk!

Lunch: Salad of high nutrient green + some Asian citrus dressing + Protein (Chicken, shrimp, tuna, quinoa, tofu) + edamame if not too expensive--this is getting to be a lot of work, may switch back to soups

Snack: Trail mix, famous peanut butter banana almond milk smoothie that launched a thousand ships--always works

Dinner: whatever--still working

Dessert: Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt and honey.--Switched back to isolated amounts of chocolate, sometimes with fruit or with peanut butter. 

Road Trip!!

Night Time cool down: couple calling home with yoga stretches and massaging out feet.

This so worked oh my goodness.

Be Present: Make the playlist!  Take one time a week to practice mountain dulcimer

Playlist: YES.  dulcimer: still no.  fail.

Head for the Horizon: Stay on top of musical obligations

SURVIVED THEM ALL.

I did not do any of the score reading/figured bass I had wanted to; I slept instead.

PM practice sessions went well, and I backed off of all souls so I'll have time to get back into new rep.

Know Thy Enemy:

Medicine: Review anatomy, anatomical disorders, biomechanics and physics of body, imaging studies, contrast agents.

Music: Read and take notes on two AGO journals each week.  Get a music theory book, especially something with good sections on counterpoint and fugue. 

This was total fail.

So overall

Diet: worked really well.  A few tweaks and I'm good to go.

Workouts: I found I needed some adaptations, especially when I'm doing heavier practice days.  I found a new set of exercises for dancers that I like!

Road trip/personal growth: I did all my tasks, which I'm so pleased with, but I want to keep working on personal development.  I have made progress on overcoming fear of emails and failing/not matching, and I feel there is space to do more.

Know thy enemy: NOPE.  Not even close.

Overall issue: never enough time!

What to do for next time

Diet: tweak to oatmeal for breakfast (faster), soups for lunch (faster, less weekend mealprep)

Workouts: Tweak to home (strength training/lighter S&S, adapted cardio), or school.  Avoid on heavy days (like going to a church heavy).

Personal growth: continue to work on fear of failure or not producing/emails, press on with doing everything from a place of love instead of fear.  Am less of a hot mess, would like to be calmer and even less of a disaster.

Academic studies: Get back on that goddam horse, as long as I can get the sleep I need to make it worth it.  

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, Treva said:

WAIT WHAT it's the end of the challenge?  Already?  I am actually shocked I thought I had more time!!

See, back in the Old Days, it used to be that you'd have 6 weeks and just keep on grinding. It is not that way anymore. :D

I appreciate this.  I will burn out quickly without questioning it, and just assume it is normal and I'm not working hard enough.

Exactly. You are working hard and you have lots going on. Could you do more? Maybe. But eventually you gotta decide enough's enough. Do what you gotta do and then get back to life.

This is really helpful.  I think this is why I moved arm day around and tried to make core day less arm involved, and I think I ended up ditching leg day altogether.  I was just too tired to keep going with it.  I am still not sure why I am so tired.

See above.

Well: Longsword sometimes happened, but not regularly.  Compound and cardio never really happened, because the additional leg day got to be much with all the leg work I do at the organ.  This got switched to ballet day, and I couldn't be happier with that.

I've found something very similar. I used to do specific leg-strengthening stuff a lot, but nowadays between TGUs and martial arts, I find that one day a week to work on single-leg progressions is all I need.

Also, just gonna point out that dancers and fighters have better legs than power lifters. #ShotsFired #EveryDayIsLegDay

6. Cast Iron Skillet 

Breakfast: Maybe switch to Ham and Egg on one slice of toast--Yes.  Alternatives also included my favorite kodiak cakes, oatmeal with some granola and almond milk!

Lunch: Salad of high nutrient green + some Asian citrus dressing + Protein (Chicken, shrimp, tuna, quinoa, tofu) + edamame if not too expensive--this is getting to be a lot of work, may switch back to soups

Snack: Trail mix, famous peanut butter banana almond milk smoothie that launched a thousand ships--always works

Dinner: whatever--still working

Dessert: Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt and honey.--Switched back to isolated amounts of chocolate, sometimes with fruit or with peanut butter. 

These all sound so good! And it's getting toward soup weather, finally; you can totally make a good, hearty soup to last you and get you the same mix of proteins and veggies.

Night Time cool down: couple calling home with yoga stretches and massaging out feet.

This so worked oh my goodness.

Be Present: Make the playlist!  Take one time a week to practice mountain dulcimer

Playlist: YES.  dulcimer: still no.  fail.

Head for the Horizon: Stay on top of musical obligations

SURVIVED THEM ALL.

I did not do any of the score reading/figured bass I had wanted to; I slept instead.

PM practice sessions went well, and I backed off of all souls so I'll have time to get back into new rep.

Hey, good work! You're doing lots with one instrument already; adding more would just be broken. :D

Although, hey, I seem to recall you had found something called Dark Country? And that it's awesome? Would love some recs if you got any.

Overall issue: never enough time!

I'm glad to see you're working on ways to get around this. It's a chronic (huh? huh?) problem, and it's not going away any time soon, so you adapt to it and find other ways around. And I stand by what I say - you don't need a gym to get life-strong.

Personal growth: continue to work on fear of failure or not producing/emails, press on with doing everything from a place of love instead of fear.  Am less of a hot mess, would like to be calmer and even less of a disaster.

You're doing so much better now that you were. It sounds like you're going back to the trenches, but you're going to get better even then too.

So! On the whole, good job! Way to make it through and figure out what works! Hope we get to see you next time!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, Kishi said:

Exactly. You are working hard and you have lots going on. Could you do more? Maybe. But eventually you gotta decide enough's enough. Do what you gotta do and then get back to life.

This is a very important lesson that I should definitely try to apply to my next challenge.  Fo Sho.

I've found something very similar. I used to do specific leg-strengthening stuff a lot, but nowadays between TGUs and martial arts, I find that one day a week to work on single-leg progressions is all I need.

Also, just gonna point out that dancers and fighters have better legs than power lifters. #ShotsFired #EveryDayIsLegDay

SHOTS FREAKIN FIRED dude I love it YES.

Although, hey, I seem to recall you had found something called Dark Country? And that it's awesome? Would love some recs if you got any.

it is GREAT.  there's a lot on my playlist for the zombie apocalypse in my signature link thing, but here's some of the good stuff 

Dogs of War

Run on for a Long time/God's gonna cut you down  This is a link to a cover of Cash's version

Awake O Sleeper

I'm glad to see you're working on ways to get around this. It's a chronic (huh? huh?) problem, and it's not going away any time soon, so you adapt to it and find other ways around. And I stand by what I say - you don't need a gym to get life-strong.

You are right.  I gotta embrace that.  Definitely.  

You're doing so much better now that you were. It sounds like you're going back to the trenches, but you're going to get better even then too.

So! On the whole, good job! Way to make it through and figure out what works! Hope we get to see you next time!

well shucks.  back to the trenches, but.  better.  Yeah.  Better.  

Yay for a great challenge! 

I thought I wrote more detailed responses last week, but it looks like they disappeared into the ether. You have made tremendous progress over the last year. Now you are at the point of tweaking things to fit as your schedule changes. Keep it up and rock your next rotation!