Home Is Where The Heart Is

Tides

Time for my next challenge! I did complete my last challenge, though it was a bit of a struggle. Now that work has a steadier routine established, it's time to focus on my next goals. In my last challenge, I re-read Level Up Your Life, and it reinforced for me my choice to join the Nerd Fitness Academy. That being said, I've really neglected that program lately, and I need to do better. Especially when it comes to doing anything other than just sitting on the couch and watching TV. So for this challenge, it's all about getting some Academy routines set up. Let's jump right in!

Raksha's Challenge Goals

Goal One: Walk at least 1 mile in the morning 5 days a week

This goal transfers from my last challenge, where I began the habit of morning walks 4 days a week. I actually found it to be a very enjoyable way to begin the day, and so I want to continue this habit as well as expand it. So I will commit to walking for 5 days a week for all 4 weeks of the challenge period.

Goal Two: Start Building The Batcave

I am an introvert, no question. So the gym has never been an option in my mind. So exercise has never been a big thing for me, because how can I work out if I don't go to the gym? Flawless logic! However, reading Level Up Your Life did help remind me that the gym isn't the only option for working out. Ideally, I would like to eventually set up a nice little home gym. To start, however, space must be found. And that means I need to clear some space. I have a corner of my room filled with books on bookshelves. I love to read, but usually do so on my ipad. Only a handful of actual paper books get read from my shelves every year. I think that corner would be perfect for a home gym. So here's my goal: Get that corner cleaned out! Go through all of the books and either sell them, move them to a different location, or donate them to charity. By the end of the challenge, that corner should be empty. 

Goal Three: Time To Be Epic!

Reading Level Up Your Life reminded me that there needs to be goals that aren't just Academy goals. I need to map out my Level 50, as well as begin to shape my Epic Quests. So during this challenge I will write up what my life at Level 50 would be like, and I will also plan out and post some Epic Quests to work on over the years. Life has to be about more than exercising, and I want to solidify some of my passions and hobbies into concrete goals. I want to level up in all aspects of my life. 

• Like 4

~ The Tides Rise And Fall ~

Battle Log of the Tides

Week 1 is going well. I walked every morning this week, Monday thru Friday, completing my 5 day requirement for Goal one. For Goal two, I'm planning on spending some time this weekend going through my books and starting to sort things out. Hopefully I can make some good progress. For Goal three, I haven't really had time yet to start that one. I will be planning on getting my Level 50 write up done by next weekend, then start thinking about Epic Quests.

• Like 1

Battle Log of the Tides

On 9/23/2018 at 9:26 PM, Raksha said:

Thanks, I'm enjoying the progress so far! I ruthlessly combed through my massive collection of books and pulled out only those I read often or couldn't part with. Probably 75% of my collection was cut. Next weekend, I will box it all up and donate it.

That's fantastic! I did the same a few years ago and only kept what "sparked joy" (thank you, Konmari system). I still have way too many e-books, but since that's only taking up virtual space, I figure I can let that slide :)  Nice to meet another Academy member here!

On 9/27/2018 at 5:25 PM, Ambera Wave said:

That's fantastic! I did the same a few years ago and only kept what "sparked joy" (thank you, Konmari system). I still have way too many e-books, but since that's only taking up virtual space, I figure I can let that slide :)  Nice to meet another Academy member here!

That was my thinking as I did it! Do I absolutely love this book, and really enjoy reading it? If the answer was no or not really, or anything other than a resounding yes, it got cut.

I've just finished boxing up all of my books, actually. I'll be dropping them off at the donation center on Monday. After that, it's get to work on rearranging some furniture and planning out a workout space. I continue to walk in the mornings, 5 days a week (and even Saturday too!). I also am making progress on brainstorming some quests and goals for the future. By the end of the challenge I hope to have some filled in on my Academy character page.

• Like 1

Battle Log of the Tides

Nerd Fitness 4 Week Challenge Post-Challenge Reflection

Name: Raksha

Challenge Number: 3

Duration: September 17th, 2018 - October 14th, 2018

Guild: Rebel

——————

Goal One: Walk at least 1 mile in the morning 5 days a week

What did you do to help your success?: I made it part of the goal to do my walking first thing in the morning, when I know I will have the drive to do so!

What would you do differently next challenge?: Having the 5 day goal during each week kept me motivated without being too perfectionist. It also gave me a couple of days of rest if needed.

Continue this goal next challenge?: Yes, this is an excellent way to wake up for the day, I’ve found. I definitely want to continue this.

Goal One Score: 5+ days a week for 4 weeks completed = 100% A

Goal Two: Start Building The Batcave

What did you do to help your success?: I went into this challenge with a plan. I knew I needed space for my home gym area, and that would mean sacrificing some of the many books I’d accumulated. I knew I’d keep some, and I knew where I was going to put them. Systematically cleaning the book shelves helped me tackle this huge challenge.

What would you do differently next challenge?: Nothing. This went smoothly.

Continue this goal next challenge?: Nope, this one is done!

Goal Two Score: Corner Empty! = 100% A

Goal Three: Time to Be Epic!

What did you do to help your success?: This built on the last challenge. Re-reading Level Up Your Life helped give me a structure to build from, and to use for brainstorming. I’ve added some new quests to my profile, and have a better idea of where I want to go from here.

What would you do differently next challenge?: Nothing. This is a one and done. 

Continue this goal next challenge?: Maybe, by creating new quests and organizing my existing quests.

Goal Three Score: New quests & goals created = 100% A

———————

Final Overall Challenge Grade: 100% A (PASS)

Final Challenge Notes: This challenge has gone very well. Dropping the challenge to 3 quests helped me focus more, and gave me a better chance for success. I know my quests may seem a little tame compared to others, but I feel like I’m setting myself up for good changes that will carry thru my life long term. I’m trying to change my life permanently, and get off the yo-yo of weight loss and gain. This challenge is a step in the right direction.

Battle Log of the Tides