• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf

Road to Cap (...Part 3)

Back story… in May I decided to go from my runner focused version of myself… this:

giphy.gif

To the Cap version of myself…this:

giphy.gif

Starting stats in May: 6’5”.. 167.8 pounds… (5k time in the mid 19s though!)

First challenge on NF started at 175.2 … last challenge finished at 183..  (Previous challenges: 1st , 2nd )

Long-term goal has been to hit 190 by May 2019… NF involvement has accelerated my progress… almost like a super serum.. I may need to revise that May goal because I think 190 may happen well before then!

This Challenge:

I’m going to be traveling for work right from the start.  This makes it almost impossible to track calories.  Also, I’m going to be limited to an Embassy Suites weight room… soooo most of my usual lift goals will be hard to actually do.  So, going to add in a couple of new things here.

Weight Quest: Starting at 183.6 pounds. Goal, like last time, +2 pounds.

Exercise Quests:

Quest 1: Lift heavy things a minimum of 3 days per week

This should be easy for me… as I generally lift more often. 3 days per week goal due to travel.

Quest 2: Run minimum of 2 times per week at a minimum of 4 cumulative miles. Maximum of 10 cumulative miles.

Run season is here and I want to do a few races and not totally suck.  But I don’t want running to screw up my strength training, so I’m going to severely limit mileage run.

Quest 3:  Benchpress  Finished last quest at a max of 215 @ 6 reps. Goal this quest is to hit 220 @ 6 reps (1.20x start weight)

Quest 4: Squat (Back squat) Really need to work on getting more comfortable with squats… Goal 165 @ 6 reps…

Squat side quest 1: Front squat… 135 @ 6 reps

Squat side quest 2: Goblet squat… 80 @ 6 reps

...I will become a squat master!

Quest 5: Deadlift Finished last challenge with 225 @ 6 reps.. goal this challenge is 240 @ 6 reps

DL side quest: 1RM last challenge finished at 255… goal this quest 275

Quest 6: Straight Leg Deadlift  Russian Deadlift Finished last challenge with 205 @ 8… goal this quest 225 @ 6

Quest 7: Lat Pulldown Don’t want to try to go for some insane amount of pullups (30?) this quest.  But I want to keep a non-DL back exercise in here as a big motivation. 6 reps @ 200 pounds is the goal

Food Quest:

When I’m not on travel, I plan on tracking food intake in MFP. 

Goals: min 3200 calories

Min protein: 1.20 grams * pounds starting weight= 220 grams

Fitness brain quest:

Finish DL and Bench sections of Starting Strength…. I’m too easily distracted by reading other things to realistically expect to finish the whole book yet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Legolas Greenleaf said:

This Challenge:

I’m going to be traveling for work right from the start.  This makes it almost impossible to track calories.  Also, I’m going to be limited to an Embassy Suites weight room… soooo most of my usual lift goals will be hard to actually do.  So, going to add in a couple of new things here.

I'm going to travel for work soon as well, I just don't know when. (It was supposed to be this weekend, but things changed.) Tracking food and heating regular and balanced meals is easily the biggest challenge. I'll be staying at a Holiday Inn Express I'm familiar with from previous visits, and last time, they had finally added a set of dumbbells to their "fitness center". It used to be only cardio machines.

Do you get breakfast at Embassy Suites? Do they provide any good options? The hotel breakfast is one of my biggest challenges...

28 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Do you get breakfast at Embassy Suites? Do they provide any good options? The hotel breakfast is one of my biggest challenges...

Man... the breakfast at the Embassy is half the reason to stay there.  Full buffet of eggs, sausage/bacon, waffles/panckakes/french toast type stuff... then cold food if you want fruit or yogurt... oatmeal... cereal... oh and a made from scratch order an omlette station... all part of your room cost

They also have a mangers reception at night with free drinks and some snacks... which is certainly NOT useful for staying on diet. 

Embassy has the best free breakfast I've found in a normal hotel chain while traveling for work.  I can't stand when places want to charge me $20 for mediocre food or they throw some bagels out there sand say "breakfast" .  But sometimes those are the only places you can stay.  When I can I always stay at the Embassy... Plus have to get those Hilton Honors points!

Man... the breakfast at the Embassy is half the reason to stay there.  Full buffet of eggs, sausage/bacon, waffles/panckakes/french toast type stuff... then cold food if you want fruit or yogurt... oatmeal... cereal... oh and a made from scratch order an omlette station... all part of your room cost

Holiday Inn Express has something similar, though less variety and sadly no omelette station. It is part of the room cost though, which is nice. 

I stay at the hotels work has deals with, and in small towns, that limits the options quite a bit. 

On 9/16/2018 at 1:30 PM, scalyfreak said:

Holiday Inn Express has something similar, though less variety and sadly no omelette station. It is part of the room cost though, which is nice. 

I stay at the hotels work has deals with, and in small towns, that limits the options quite a bit. 

Where you are certainly limits it.  My main limitation is usually the cost.  Employer has set prices they'll pay for certain areas.  Most of the hotels know what that pricing is and lots of them will honor it.  It works out pretty good that way.  But sometimes you get stuck staying places you'd rather not.  Work travel... what ya gunna do

Friday 21 Sept 2018

This week: 182.6 …. -1 pound.. Heading the wrong direction.  But traveling makes it hard to keep track of what / how much I’m eating.

Challenge: 182.6 …. -1 pound

Food Quest:

Calorie Goals: min 3200 calories

This week: N/A – Did not track due to work travel

Min protein Goal: 1.20 grams * pounds starting weight= 220 grams

This week: N/A – Did not track due to work travel

Exercise Quests:

This week:  4 weight training sessions this week

Challenge:  Consistent so far.

Quest 2: Run min 2 times / week at a min of 4 cum miles (6.4KM). Max of 10 cum miles (16KM).

This week:  Runs completed 2; Distance run 8.21KM (~5.13M)

Challenge:  Avg runs per week: 2; Average distance per week: 8.21KM

Quest 3:  Benchpress  Goal this quest is to hit 220 @ 6 reps (1.20x start weight)

This week: 205 @ 8 reps.  I think the 220 is certainly possible.  Just want to make sure to not suffer too bad on form to get there.

Challenge Max: 205 @ 8 reps

Quest 4: Squat (Back squat) Goal 165 @ 6 reps

This week: 135 @ 12 reps  Just working on getting more comfortable with back squats.

Challenge Max: 135 @ 12

Squat side quest 1: Front squat…goal 135 @ 6 reps

This week: N/A – Did not attempt

Challenge Max: N/A – Did not attempt

Squat side quest 2: Goblet squat… goal 80 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 21 SEPT (85 @ 6)

This week: 85 @ 6 reps Challenge complete! Didn’t realize I’d be able to knock this one out right away.  I’ll either keep ramping up on the goblet squat some more, or try to transition it into a stronger front squat.

Challenge Max: 85 @ 6 reps

giphy.gif

Quest 5: Deadlift Goal this challenge is 240 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 21 SEPT (245 @ 6)

This week: 245 @ 6 reps. Really strong leg day today… gob sqt and DL goals complete . Watched some videos of Brian Shaw deadlifting on Youtube.  The guy had some good pointers he was talking about that really helped.  Expect I’ll keep this one growing a bit this challenge.

Challenge Max: 245 @ 6 reps

Brian teaches us that lifting barbells has real life application...

giphy.gif

DL side quest: 1RM goal this quest 275

Quest 6: Straight Leg Deadlift Goal this quest 225 @ 6 COMPLETE 21 SEPT (225 @ 6)

This week: 225 @ 6 reps … did I mention it was a strong leg day? Completed gob sqt, DL, and SLDL goals!

Challenge Max: 225 @ 6 reps

Quest 7: Lat Pulldown Goal 6 reps @ 200 pounds is the goal

This week: 190 @ 6 reps

Challenge Max: 190 @ 6 reps

Fitness brain quest:

Goal Finish DL and Bench sections of Starting Strength.

This week: Read a few pages of DL.  Watched some strength training videos of Brian Shaw and the 2018 Arnold Strongman Deadlift event.  Watching these videos, and reading some SS, certainly contributed to the DL goals above.  

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 3:42 PM, Legolas Greenleaf said:

This one scaring you?

On 9/26/2018 at 1:05 PM, Grumble said:

This one scaring you?

ha. maybe a little.  I did some this week though.  But, as with most of my squat stuff, I've realized I need to keep working form much more right now than weight.  I found I am really having to think about keeping a straighter back so I don't lean too far forward. Lots of ab contraction stopping me from face planting lol

Saturday 29 Sept 2018

Lots of quest boxes are getting checked.  Hopefully I can keep making progress towards hitting them all on this Challenge!

This week: 184.8 +1.2 cumulative pounds… +2.2 from last week. Funny too because my calories struggled all week.  

Challenge: 184.8 …. +1.2

Food Quest:

This week: 2,958… my wife was on an extra clean eating kick for a September challenge she was doing.. made getting those calories in a lot harder!

This week: 197…. I’ll be honest… I ran out of protein bars this week.  I tried to put other stuff in there but it was hard to make up for

Exercise Quests:

This week:  4 weight training sessions this week

Challenge:  Avg days lifting per week… 4.

Quest 2: Run min 2 times / week at a min of 4 cum miles (6.4KM). Max of 10 cum miles (16KM).

This week:  Runs completed 2; Distance run 9.5KM (~5.94M). Slight uptick over last week’s 8.2KM mark.  It may be fall… but in Florida that literally means nothing.  It’s been in the 90s all week and my runs have been in the afternoon. Blah..

Challenge:  Avg runs per week: 2; Average distance per week: 8.85KM

Quest 3:  Benchpress  Goal this quest is to hit 220 @ 6 reps (1.20x start weight)

This week: 210 @ 8 reps.  Slight uptick over 205 @ 8 last week. Realized I need to do more to warm up for my flat bench if I want to hit 220. Certainly can’t just jump on that sucker, knock out a warm up set, and go for it.  My muscles need more warm up than that I suppose.

Challenge Max: 210 @ 8 reps

Quest 4: Squat (Back squat) Goal 165 @ 6 reps

This week: 155 @ 6 reps. Keep working that form and comfort level.  These squats are frustrating to a certain extent.  I know the weight itself is not the issue if the form is right.  Practice practice practice…

Challenge Max: 155 @ 6

giphy.gif

This week: 100 @ 8 reps… yes I tried it this week Grumble.  I don’t think 135 @ 6 will be impossible to get, but I want to make sure my form is right doing it. Front sqts are so different than back squats in terms of back position so… practice again..  

Challenge Max: 100 @ 8 reps

Squat side quest 2: Goblet squat… goal 80 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 21 SEPT (85 @ 6) Increased 25 Sept to 90 @ 6

This week: 90 @ 6 reps… increased again over the challenge goal. Realized this week Goblet squats appear to be a good warm up lift for squat days.   Though if I get much heavier on these I’m thinking I’ll have to just transition to front squats. Goblet squatting with a 90 pound dumbbell is a bit awkward.

Challenge Max: 90 @ 6 reps

Quest 5: Deadlift Goal this challenge is 240 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 21 SEPT (245 @ 6) Increased 25 Sept to 255 @ 6 reps

This week: 255 @ 6 reps… Love the deadlifts… .

Challenge Max: 255 @ 6 reps

giphy.gif

DL side quest: 1RM goal this quest 275 COMPLETE 28 SEPT 1RM @ 275

This week: 1RM @ 275… boom… I really think I can up this a lot more.. which is what I said last challenge when I did 255.  Strength gaining is cumulative though… because I don’t know that I could have gone much higher than 275 last month.   Given I’m doing 6 reps at 255 I’m pretty sure I could take a shot at 300+. Maybe next challenge

Challenge Max: 1RM @ 275

giphy.gif

Quest 6: Straight Leg Deadlift Goal this quest 225 @ 6 COMPLETE 21 SEPT (225 @ 6) Increased 28 Sept to 235 @ 6

This week: 235 @ 6 reps Not sure I’ll try to go any heavier than this on SLDL this challenge. We’ll see though.

Challenge Max: 235 @ 6 reps

Quest 7: Lat Pulldown Goal 6 reps @ 200 pounds is the goal COMPLETE 27 SEPT (200 @ 6)

This week: 200 @ 6 reps Complete! I’ve been completing a lot of these quests early in the challenges.  Maybe a sign I need to up the goals a bit higher.

Challenge Max: 200 @ 6 reps

Fitness brain quest:

This week: First week back in the office after traveling a couple of weeks.  Not a good excuse but it is the truth nonetheless.  Didn't get more than a couple of pages read.

• Like 1

Saturday 6 October 2018

This week: 185.6 +2.0 cumulative pounds…GOAL ACHIEVED… NOW MUST MAINTAIN IT +0.6 from last week 

Challenge: 185.6 …. +2.0

Food Quest:

This week: 3,113

This week: 195

The last few weeks it have been tough to get in enough calories that aren’t just garbage cals.  I need to find ways to just get more healthy calories in that have some protein benefit too.

Exercise Quests:

This week:  4 weight training sessions this week.  Most of my lifts this week were a little lighter and more focused on form. My this week maxes will illustrate that I’m sure.

Challenge:  Avg days lifting per week… 4.

This week:  Runs completed 2; Distance run 6.42KM (~4.01M). I honestly didn’t even know if I’d hit that. I had some heal pain this week so I didn’t run last Sunday.  I also limited the small runs I did do. The runs aren’t worth it if they cause a long-term injury.  I learned that the hard way with my Achilles a few years ago.  I ended up not being able to run or do anything lower body but eccentric calf work for 6 weeks… no fun!

Challenge:  Avg runs per week: 2; Average distance per week: 8.04KM

This week: 185 @ 10 A good deal less than my 210 @ 8 last week. Did more volume and form work this week.  I may take a shot at the 220 @ 6 next week.

Challenge Max: 210 @ 8 reps

Quest 4: Squat (Back squat) Goal 165 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 4 Oct (165 @ 6)

This week: 165 @ 6  COMPLETE I think my focus on just trying to get more comfortable and get better form helped make this feel more comfortable.  We’ll see if I can keep tweaking and get some more gains on this next challenge.

Challenge Max: 165 @ 6

When I become a squat master maybe I too can squat my friends.. 

giphy.gif

This week: N/A I did not make time to work this in this week. May try next week. But, I doubt I’ll take a shot at 135.  This side quest will probably be a failure. But the little I did do feels a lot better.  And, I have yet to read through Starting Strengths front squat section. Maybe it has a tidbit or two to help.   

Challenge Max: 100 @ 8 reps

Squat side quest 2: Goblet squat… goal 80 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 21 SEPT (85 @ 6); Increased 25 Sept to 90 @ 6; Increased 1 Oct to 95 @ 6

This week: 95 @ 6 reps.  I’ve been continuing to work the Gob squat vice the front squat. If you’ve never done both, they are somewhat similar. The gob squat I feel like I have more control of the weight than the barbell front squat though.

Challenge Max: 95 @ 6 reps

Quest 5: Deadlift Goal this challenge is 240 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 21 SEPT (245 @ 6) Increased 25 Sept to 255 @ 6 reps

This week: 245 @ 6 reps… Lighter deadlift week. Did a lot more reps at 225 than usual. Working on not extending the knees too soon in the lift.

This week: N/A – I don’t like to do 1RM type lifts too often. Not sure if I’ll do another this challenge or not.

Quest 6: Straight Leg Deadlift Russian Deadlift (Powerlifting noob was using the wrong name) Goal this quest 225 @ 6 COMPLETE 21 SEPT (225 @ 6) Increased 28 Sept to 235 @ 6

This week: 175 @ 8 reps  . Kept it lighter

Quest 7: Lat Pulldown Goal 6 reps @ 200 pounds is the goal COMPLETE 27 SEPT (200 @ 6)

This week: 180 @ 12.. the trend of lighter than last week continues.  

Fitness brain quest:

This week: I finished the Deadlift section. I actually skipped ahead in the book to programming, which I’ve found very interesting the way he wrote it. I’m probably going to focus on that section this week.  

The only lift quests remaining are Bench at 220 and Front squat at 135.  We'll see if those get attempted this week or not.  Even if they do not, I have had progress towards both goals this challenge.  I also feel good about all of the other boxes I've checked. 

So... little Hurricane coming to my part of the world.. screwing up a work trip and making it so I can't leave heavy stuff as much this week! Boo!

On the plus side, I lifted on Sunday with a more SS type programming.  My goodness, what a difference.  For years i've done a somewhat pyramid type lift, which Rip rips on in his programming section. At best I did sets of 12, 10, 8, 6.  Sometimes just 12, 10, 8.  And i used to do the standard 10, 10, 10. 

Going to the concept of warm up sets to prepare yourself for work sets. And then doing sets across at only 5 reps made my routine much different.  But, as Rip said, I wasn't exhausted by the time I got to the real work sets.  Also, I could feel the impact on my muscle fiber much more in the day or so after... all without getting so drained at the gym that my energy levels crashed.  Basically my lift became a strength training workout and less of an endurance workout!

I can say I doubt I'd even have bought this book if I hadn't read about it at NF.  Thanks NF peeps!

• Like 2

Couldn't get to the gym today... ran a Murph challenge instead... wasn't able to do all 100 pullups because kids came to the playground and took the monkey bars... i kindly let them lol..

1 mile, 50 pullup, 200 pushup, 300 squat, 1 mile.. body weight (don't have body armor).. 45 minutes... given I don't do this type of training, I am spent.  But at least I won't feel so antsy sitting stuck indoors during the storm!

• Like 2

Couldn't get to the gym today... ran a Murph challenge instead... wasn't able to do all 100 pullups because kids came to the playground and took the monkey bars... i kindly let them lol..

That's the most Captain America thing you could have done.

tumblr_nqz8vte2Et1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Personally I'd have told the little buggers to piss off, and I'll explore that more in my forthcoming challenge 'Descent to Deadpool'.

• Haha 4

Thanks everyone.  Luckily we were on the west side of the storm enough that we didn't end up with any damage.  If you've never been near a hurricane, you always want to be on the west side of the storm.  The way the winds spin cause significantly more damage on the east side.  Not far down the road Armageddon basically happened.  Pure luck that a front was coming through that pushed it that way.

Saturday 13 October 2018

Final post and analysis for this challenge.

Hurricane Michael came through and stopped me from doing normal lifts the last week.  But I’ll take that over having my home destroyed.

This week: 184.8… (+1.2)…. So.. last week I was up to 185.6  It is possible I dropped a little due to just water weight.  It is also possible I dropped a little because I ran more this week than I lifted.  Either way, I fall short of my challenge goal.   

Reading the diet section of starting strength… I also might not be following the plan, as Rip says.  I have been shooting for 3200 calories. I think I need to up it a bit to 3500 for the next challenge and see what happens.

Challenge: 185.6 …. +2.0.. .. +1.2… FAIL

Food Quest:

This week: 3,424 .. I actually got close to the 3,500 above… but it is possible my running impacted weight.  Maybe I need to push higher than 3,500.. but I think that is where my starting spot will be for next time.  As this is the ONLY week I’ve hit 3,200 +… I’m calling a FAIL here too.

This week: 196   I have failed on this a bit this challenge. I have not been drinking a night time protein shake as often.  I may need to consciously do this more often.  Missed calories, so missed protein. FAIL It isn’t looking good so far!!!!

Exercise Quests:

This week:  2 “traditional” weight room lifts.  1 Murph challenge.  Hurricane Michael jacked me up this week.  I’m calling the Murph a lift due to the circumstances.  

Challenge:  Avg days lifting per week… 3.75

giphy.gif

This week:  Runs completed 3; Distance run 11.62KM (~7.26M).

Challenge:  Avg runs per week: 2.25; Average distance per week: 8.937KM .. It’s funny.  I ran a little over 35KM the entire challenge.  When I used to train heavy into running I’d run that much each week for sure.  Regardless, I completed the goal for this challenge.  

This week: 195 @ 5  I’ll be honest, I didn’t even try for the 220. The reason why is I actually completed the Benchpress section of Starting Strength and I read the programming section.  Switching over to a more SS version of programming resulted in me dropping the weight down a bit (3 work sets of 5 is different than 12, 10, 8, 6 type lifts for sure). 

I also realized I have a bad habit in my flat bench that I need to work on next challenge. I may start out a little lower even to fix it.  I watch the bar the entire movement instead of the ceiling.  I’m not sure when I picked this up, but I need to fix it.  It is resulting in my pulling my rep very slightly short of touching my chest I believe.  (I also was taught “you don’t need to go more than 90 degree angle with your arms.. which SS says is BS. I always went further than 90 but pulled a little short of touch.  His logic of fully utilizing the range of motion is logical to me… so I’m going to make sure that happens even if it means less weight.)

Challenge Max: 210 @ 8 reps CLOSE but FAIL

Quest 4: Squat (Back squat) Goal 165 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 4 Oct (165 @ 6); Increased to 175 @ 5 12 Oct

This week: 175 @ 5   Squat is getting much stronger, but still needs a lot of work.  One thing I’ve realized is I really need to get warmed up well to get deep enough. I also may work in some yoga during the week to stretch those leg muscles.

Challenge Max: 175 @ 5

This week: 135 @ 2 and 115 @ 5… I MIGHT have been able to do 135 @ 5 but I wouldn’t have been able to do it for 3 work sets, so I dropped the weight.  Overall I improved a fair bit on this, but set the bar slightly too high.    

Challenge Max: 135 @ 2 and 115 @ 5  CLOSE but FAIL

Squat side quest 2: Goblet squat… goal 80 @ 6 reps COMPLETE 21 SEPT (85 @ 6); Increased 25 Sept to 90 @ 6; Increased 1 Oct to 95 @ 6

This week: 95 @ 5 work sets this week. I’m going to keep these next challenge but I’m not sure how high to up the weight. Sure don’t want to drop 115 pound dumbbell on my foot!

Challenge Max: 95 @ 6 reps

This week: 245 @  5 work sets…. Rip said in programming most newer lifters are good with 1 work set for DL… I see why. Was worn out by the last set. Probably go for a slight increase next challenge.   

This week: N/A – Like I said, I don’t like to do them too often. Once a challenge is probably all I’ll do. Takes too much time to warm up for just 1 rep.

Quest 6: Straight Leg Deadlift Russian Deadlift (Powerlifting noob was using the wrong name) Goal this quest 225 @ 6 COMPLETE 21 SEPT (225 @ 6) Increased 28 Sept to 235 @ 6

This week: N/A – Didn’t get it worked in this week.

This week: 190 @ 5 work sets. Feel it a lot more than just hitting that singular, but maybe heavier, set.   

Fitness brain quest:

This week: Benchpress, programming, diet, front squat all complete.   

Challenge: completed Deadlift, Bench, Programming, Diet, Front Squat.. Exceeded the low bar I set for myself.  I think I’m going to order his programming book next.  Some of my lifts have a long ways to go in Novice mode (I’m looking at you squats…) but I’m curious to see what he has to say for lifts when it gets harder to have a large exponential increase in weight each week.  

OVERALL CHALLENGE ASSESSMENT:

From a training perspective, this was a solid challenge.  I didn’t hit the Bench or the Front squat, but I also didn’t even take a shot at the Bench.  It is possible I’d hit it, but I put a focus on the way I was training more than hitting a heavier weight.  In the long-run, I think I’ll be much better off this way.

From a diet perspective, I failed quite a bit.  I didn’t have the dedication, it would appear, to get in the calories needed.  I need to get better at this next challenge.

Overall I’m generally happy with this challenge.  I am curious to see in the upcoming challenges if eating more combined with a more Starting Strength type lifting programing makes a difference.  My weight growth has certainly slowed a bit.  Part of the problem is likely that I’m 17 pounds heavier than when I started my Road to Cap… But I’m not eating significantly more.  This, upon consideration, seems like an obvious problem.

As always, I learned something from the challenge… and Knowledge is power!

giphy.gif