• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy's New Groove

Recommended Posts

If you've been around the forums for a while, this challenge name/theme may sound familiar. And that's because yes, I've done it before.

 

But:

a) I don't care

b) I can't think of a better idea

c) Who needs reasons when it means doing an emperor's new groove challenge?

 

SO. Without further ado, here we go :)

 

SOMEONE THREW OFF MY GROOVE AND I MUST GET IT BACK

 

 

 

This year has been a rough year overall for me. My Grandmother passed on Jan 1st and the grieving process took way more out of me than I ever expected. It also made me look at life in whole new ways (in a positive way), but 

 

But the last few months I've really been focusing on me, and actually am at a point where I feel really awesome.  I just need to get my groove back. 

 

 

 

1) EXERCISE EVERY DAY

 

One thing that I've been focusing on hard the last few months is super structured training. However, one of the reasons why I've always loved exercise is because it seriously helps me manage my anxiety and depression. So I need to exercise in some way, shape, or form, each day.

giphy.gif

 

2) FUN FITNESS

In addition to my strength, do at least one "fun fitness" item each workout.

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

3) GO TO THERAPY

giphy.gif

 

I put off therapy for the summer because I was just so crazy busy. Goal is to go 2x during the challenge. 

 

4) AT LEAST 1HR EVERY DAY FOR MYSELF

giphy.gif

 

This could be reading, playing bass, etc. - doesn't matter. Just focused on me and what I want to do :)

 

5) 35th BIRTHDAY:

 

My 35th birthday is at the end of this challenge (on 10/11). As a part of this coming up, I'd like to write out at least a 1 year plan, if not 5 year plan, of things I'd like to accomplish over the next bit of time. In addition, I'd like to do the fear setting exercise for at least one of them. 

 

A really big decision is also coming up, so that ties into this one!

 

 

OKAY THAT IS ALL. HAPPY NEW CHALLENGE Y'ALL

giphy.webp

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

giphy.gif

 

Can never have to much Emperor's New Groove- Nice challenge

 

QFT

 

This is one of the greatest movies ever. Obviously,  any challenge inspired by one of the greatest movies ever,  is one of the greatest challenges ever. 

 

In terms of awesomeness, not in terms of difficulty! 

 

Yeah, it sounded better in my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

giphy.gif

 

Can never have to much Emperor's New Groove- Nice challenge

 

This was my reasoning when I wanted to do it again. :D

 

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

 

QFT

 

This is one of the greatest movies ever. Obviously,  any challenge inspired by one of the greatest movies ever,  is one of the greatest challenges ever. 

 

In terms of awesomeness, not in terms of difficulty! 

 

Yeah, it sounded better in my head. 

 

hahah HOPEFULLY it will not be that hard. I want an "easy" challenge this time around. The ENG gifs should help :D

 

 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Spezzy bringing her groove back? 

 
Ohyeah Theemperorsnewgroove GIF - Ohyeah Theemperorsnewgroove Kuzco GIFs
 

 

:D:D:D

 

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

 

UGH I love him so much. Such a worthwhile exercise. 

 

Yeah! It's one I used to do more often, and love it. So helpful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

workouts last 2 days:

 

monday:

bench 3x8 at 65kg

squat 3x8 at 90kg

Bottom Up KB Press

Handstand Walk

Inverted Row

GHD Situp

 

tuesday:

block pull EMOM 10 min 3 reps at 275

chinups 

half rep bottom up hack squats

 

Videos! (I have to upload these for coach now anyway :D)

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2018 at 8:13 PM, spezzy said:

AT LEAST 1HR EVERY DAY FOR MYSELF

giphy.gif

 

This could be reading, playing bass, etc. - doesn't matter. Just focused on me and what I want to do :)

 

Does this have a noticeable impact?

 

I have just this minute realized that I don't do this. I mean, I try to do some fun stuff through my day, take some breaks, but I'm essentially multitasking through most of it, or thinking about and managing the list of stuff, or at best not setting aside a specific time, so it's interspersed with all the stuff I "should" be doing. And it's occurred to me now that I probably know better when it comes to how I deal with downtime. If I'm feeling like I'm not getting enough done, it's probably because I don't have enough downtime, not because I don't have enough work time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow a 5 year plan, that sounds something super worth-while but kind of intimidating.  Are you using any sort of template/exercises to work through this that you can share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

 

Does this have a noticeable impact?

 

I have just this minute realized that I don't do this. I mean, I try to do some fun stuff through my day, take some breaks, but I'm essentially multitasking through most of it, or thinking about and managing the list of stuff, or at best not setting aside a specific time, so it's interspersed with all the stuff I "should" be doing. And it's occurred to me now that I probably know better when it comes to how I deal with downtime. If I'm feeling like I'm not getting enough done, it's probably because I don't have enough downtime, not because I don't have enough work time.

 

It helps so much - as long as you keep it unstructured. I've found that if I make a goal that is "Play bass 20 minutes per day" it then becomes something I HAVE to do and no longer something I WANT to do - I don't know if it's some weird sort of goal rebellion or what. 

 

Forcing myself to be like "okay, I've got an hour, what do I WANT to do today" and then do it helps a lot. 

 

If I don't plan on taking time to myself, I just spend time focusing on my to do lists and all of the stuff I'm not getting done. 

 

And completely agree that it's not having enough downtime, not not having enough worktime. Work will always fill the time you give it :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raxie said:

Wow a 5 year plan, that sounds something super worth-while but kind of intimidating.  Are you using any sort of template/exercises to work through this that you can share?

I will definitely share anything I end up using! I'm definitely going to be using the fear setting exercise but I'm not sure what else. 

 

Definitely need to start mapping out a plan though - I've always just been like "I'M SO YOUNG I HAVE SO MUCH TIME" but holy crap I'm going to be 35 in less than a month. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spezzy said:

I will definitely share anything I end up using! I'm definitely going to be using the fear setting exercise but I'm not sure what else. 

 

Definitely need to start mapping out a plan though - I've always just been like "I'M SO YOUNG I HAVE SO MUCH TIME" but holy crap I'm going to be 35 in less than a month. 

*Cries in late 30s*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

*Cries in late 30s*

 

Well, we were in a car accident tonight and if things had gone any other way than they did, we would have all likely died.

 

So. Even more important now, I guess.

 

And completely un age related.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spezzy said:

 

Well, we were in a car accident tonight and if things had gone any other way than they did, we would have all likely died.

 

So. Even more important now, I guess.

 

And completely un age related.

Scary. Were you hurt at all? A bit of a scary reminder to not take this life for granted. Glad you are alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spezzy said:

 

Well, we were in a car accident tonight and if things had gone any other way than they did, we would have all likely died.

 

So. Even more important now, I guess.

 

And completely un age related.

 Did you use your mighty strength to carry the car home?

 

Seriously though, glad you're not injured or worse, and hope everything works out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Scary. Were you hurt at all? A bit of a scary reminder to not take this life for granted. Glad you are alright.

 

10 hours ago, Grumble said:

 Did you use your mighty strength to carry the car home?

 

Seriously though, glad you're not injured or worse, and hope everything works out. 

 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm so glad you're ok. That must have been a terrible experience.

 

Terrifying for sure - injuries are all superficial so will heal with time. Thankfully not our car, we weren't driving, so don't have to deal with all of that. But beyond terrifying regardless. 

 

Skipping the gym today, for obvious reasons. Will take Mads for a nice long walk. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 8:55 PM, spezzy said:

 

Well, we were in a car accident tonight and if things had gone any other way than they did, we would have all likely died.

 

...

 

Shit.

 

Very, very glad that you're okay. Being in a car accident is scary, sometime a day or so after the fact. Again, very happy to hear you're going to heal and be okay. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/21/2018 at 9:57 PM, scalyfreak said:

 

...

 

Shit.

 

Very, very glad that you're okay. Being in a car accident is scary, sometime a day or so after the fact. Again, very happy to hear you're going to heal and be okay. :) 

 

This one will be scary long after a day or two, I'm sure. Most terrifying experience of my life. Therapy monday! Will process with a professional for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HAPPY MONDAY NERDS :D Big update. 

 

HEALTH WISE: 

1) I have therapy today. I will go. 

2) I basically spent the weekend doing nothing of worth other than healing. I'm okay with that. I needed it. 

3) I went to the doctor and got checked out on Saturday. I'm okay, but needed to get my tetanus shot updated and i've been coughing a lot - my doctor thinks it's from the airbags. I go back for a check-up Thursday.

 

LIFTING WISE:

I'm no longer doing the meet I signed up for on December 8th. Instead, I'm doing a meet December 22nd that's a charity meet and is being held at my gym. Ben is also doing that meet, so it will be a fun thing we can do together. This far out it makes sense to switch, and will be way cheaper in the long run (1.5hr each way travel + hotel vs. 5 minute travel and sleep at home). 

 

I went to the gym on Saturday and was glad I did. 

 

Deadlift 3x8 at 300

Leg Press + 1.5 hack squat

Toe to Bar

RDL

 

I will go today if I have time, but I'm not sure I will after taking much of the weekend off. If I don't go today, I'll take the dog for a walk and go tomorrow for sure. 
 

NUTRITION WISE:

I hate logging, but that's my only goal this week. 13 weeks out I'm weighing in at 75.2kg, so I want to see what I can get down to by 6 weeks out and then decide on a weight class. But for now, the goal is to log and see where I'm at this week. 

 

LIFE WISE:

I spent half an hour last night and bought web hosting and set this up: www.staciardison.com

 

It needs a lot of work, but I've wanted to get this up for a lot of challenges past, and the barrier has been that I want it to be perfect. So instead, I'm going to work on it little by little. So this is a start!

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now