• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian: Lean & Mean

This is going to be another crazy month-ish for me, life wise, so we're going super basic again, team. Let's do this.

If you're just tuning in, I am a librarian/writer/teacher/climber/meditator/kickboxer/vegetarian/rogue-loving dude.

• Work out: 3x/week. 
  • Bring healthy snacks to work every day: 5x/week.
  • Work on presentations and promotion file 4hrs/week.

Around the end of the challenge things should settle down a bit and maybe I can start shooting for some more ambitious goals.

Totem on my desk to inspire me in the mini: 

KnnPpgJm.png

• Like 3

Week 1 day 1!

I slept so badly last night. Rather, I fell asleep early, and was out in minutes after I hit the pillow, but I woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so I feel like hell.

I came in to work to Get Shit Done anyway; I may go home and crash after lunch, but I got caught up on some necessary stuff and put in a couple of hours on Wednesday's presentation. I really wanted to work out today, but I don't think it's happening.

I emailed my kickboxing gym this morning to see if there's anything I need to know before coming in for a karate class, which I've never tried. My plan is to do that next week.

Work projects: 2/4

Healthy snacks: 1/5

Super stressed out this week, but that goes with a busy week (& presentation) and a ton of life/home stuff going on (nothing bad, just too many balls to juggle). Sleep and meditation and exercise will help.

Told my boss I'm taking sick time for the afternoon because my head's throbbing from insufficient sleep, then rode the wrong train to the end of the line, then a very middle of the road David Bowie song came on shuffle play and I felt tiny tears in my eyes, so yeah I think maybe I need to lie down for an hour

• Like 1

Hi friends! 

Still alive, still pretty swamped. This week should be a little better than last week, but it's not starting off great. There's a meeting across town that I have to attend and didn't get notified about, so that loses me half a day that I thought I had free to catch up on projects, and since I won't be on campus that loses my planned workout today.

Last week:

Workouts: only 1/3. Did make it to a tough kettlebell class on Saturday morning that I'm still feeling.

Healthy snacks: 5/5. Fruit and/or fat free yogurt every day.

Project work: 4/4 and delivered one of my presentations. I've got about three weeks to the next one.

I've been eating salads like a motherfucker and feel good about my diet habits lately. Yesterday I made African sweet potato & peanut stew with kale, that I'm having over rice for lunches the first part of the week and it's very good.

Saturday night I went out with a friend for karaoke, had three beers (I usually stop at two) but over a period of several hours.

This week:

Hoping to try out a karate class Weds night.

Have time budgeted for projects, if nothing goes wrong.

I'll be mostly cramming my workouts in the back half of the week, which I don't like to do, but I'll try to get there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

African sweet potato & peanut stew with kale

Yeah I'm definitely going to need this recipe. 

K thx bye.

(Oh and good job and stuff on the other awesome wins. Congrats on the 1 finished presentation and good luck on the other!)

20 hours ago, raptron said:

That stew with rice sounds :fire emoji: :fire emoji:. 

12 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Yeah I'm definitely going to need this recipe. 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Umm yeah me too!

It was incredibly easy. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/african-peanut-sweet-potato-stew/

Consolations from yesterday's cross-town meeting rush: I got off early, and got a free lunch to bring in today.

• Like 2

Week 2 so far:

Workouts 0/3. Ugh. I'm feeling down from lack of activity.

Project work 2/4 hours. Put in an hour of presentation work before lunch. I think this is going to be the easier one to write, which, thank god for that since I have less time.

Healthy snacks 2/5. On course.

ETA: Another hour on the promotion dossier. Holy crap, it's due in a month.

22 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Workouts 0/3. Ugh. I'm feeling down from lack of activity.

I also have to withstand a fair amount of work pressure at the moment, and mostly the type of things that I actually like to do (coding). I get very very focused (completely engrossed might be the right word), and it's quite tempting to miss a workout just to finish this or that little bit. And my mind is so FULL. It's very hard to make space mentally and physically (to work out for instance, but also to cook etc..). If I'm not careful, I'll go non-stop for weeks and then crash. This is a bit of a case of the devil twin under cover you know :P

4 hours ago, @mu said:

I also have to withstand a fair amount of work pressure at the moment, and mostly the type of things that I actually like to do (coding). I get very very focused (completely engrossed might be the right word), and it's quite tempting to miss a workout just to finish this or that little bit. And my mind is so FULL. It's very hard to make space mentally and physically (to work out for instance, but also to cook etc..). If I'm not careful, I'll go non-stop for weeks and then crash. This is a bit of a case of the devil twin under cover you know :P

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. And sometimes (often) it's the more responsible choice to blow off the gym to get work done, and when that happens I try to at least make the decision consciously and own it. It's frustrating when it keeps happening consistently and I lose my fitness momentum, as I feel is happening this month. Your "mind is so full" statement really strikes a chord with me. I feel like I can't pause to get my breath lately.

This week's a little better than last week. Next week will probably be about the same, and then I'm hoping things will calm down.

My plan is to go to a KB class after work tonight. I used to do that about every other week, until our car problems cropped up a year or so ago. It's gonna be tough to go at the end of a workday.

Eagle-eyed spotters may recall that I declared that I was going to try a karate class this week -- they're actually doing reviews and belt tests this week, so not a good week to pop in for my first class, and then next week I'm traveling for a conference. I've got it on my calendar for the following week, though.

Worked an hour each on presentation and promotion dossier (4/4). The promotion stuff is damn near done. I've got a month to turn it in, but I think most of the writing is done. I just emailed one person who's promised to write me a letter of support, and she promised she'd have it done soon. I've got a week from Tuesday blocked off to work all day on my presentation, so if I chip away at that and don't leave it all to do in that one day, I should be in good shape.

Oh, and I got out and took a good walk when I felt myself crashing from sitting at my desk all day. (And got a coffee.)

There is a big-ass tray of cookies in the break room. I have already eaten more of them than I meant to.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

And sometimes (often) it's the more responsible choice to blow off the gym to get work done, and when that happens I try to at least make the decision consciously and own it. It's frustrating when it keeps happening consistently and I lose my fitness momentum, as I feel is happening this month.

Years ago, I was training with a friend who had a young child and we got into that topic a bit. The 'responsible' thing to do for her was to take care of her baby, but she also told me that it was as important and as much the responsible thing to do to make sure she attended to her own space (e.g. training). It made her feel a “better mother” NOT to care about her child 24/7.

There is both outer and inner pressure about what is supposed to be the “responsible” thing do, but it's not necessarily right nor that helpful. Sometimes things don't calm down on their own at all,  you will need to calm things down for your own good I think.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, @mu said:

It made her feel a “better mother” NOT to care about her child 24/7.

mhm not that she was not caring all the time :P but training was a way to better take care of her child by caring about herself, that's what I mean

1 hour ago, @mu said:

mhm not that she was not caring all the time :P but training was a way to better take care of her child by caring about herself, that's what I mean

I totally follow the logic. It's hard to make the choice between self-care and external responsibility, but sometimes choosing self-care makes meeting one's external responsibilities go better in the long run.

To summarize: Life is complicated

So today I've again been driving across town to be in search committee meetings all day, but once again the consolation is that I got fed lunch (salad) and got off earlier than I would have on a regular day in the office. So it's 4:30 and I'm home in pajama shorts, managed to run an errand or two on the way home, and will have time to cook dinner (bok choi & tofu and other veggies with noodles) before my online D&D game this evening. I'm pleased that I live in a world where I can play D&D with friends who have moved to New York and Portland.

Last night I went to a tough kickboxing class after work, and I'm pretty proud of myself for not wussing out and going home to slob around on the couch instead.

• Like 2