TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™

Hello everyone, the name's TimovieMan!

Well, the real name is Timothy, at least. I'm 37 and live in Belgium. I'm married and have two kids. My daughter Zoë is 5 (or she will be in two weeks), and my son Lenny is 3-and-a-half.

I'm an avid movie lover (three guesses how I got the nickname - and the first two don't count) and PC video gamer (mostly adventure games, sports games and RPGs). I also took up recurve archery last year.

One month ago, I took it upon myself to get in better shape a bit. The idea behind it was that I wanted to increase my draw weight in archery by the end of winter, because I want to shoot arrows at 90 meters next summer.
Since increasing your draw weight (by 6 pounds is what I have in mind) can be detrimental to your form, I want to be truly ready for it, so my form won't suffer in the slightest.

So I started working out a couple of times per week, a routine involving burpees, planking and superman exercises. I have had lower back problems once or twice in the past, so I very much want a stronger core.

And then I realized, if I'm going to exercise, why not make a little effort to eat healthier and lose some weight? So I decided to limit my soda intake. Nothing too drastic, just lowering my weekly average of 8-12 cans to 4-6.

Now we're one month in, and I'm starting to notice the effects. I've increased my number of workouts to 3-4 per week, added a couple of dumbbell exercises in the mix, and suddenly I'm noticeably walking more upright, I can lift and carry the kids for much longer when they're tired, and I'm no longer completely knackered from climbing three flights of stairs at work. And I lost 5 pounds to boot.

You could say I have already completed my first challenge in a way, but this was all before I even knew about Nerd Fitness. Noticing the effects made me want to dig into the subject of health and fitness more. But with the internet being the internet, it was a real challenge to find reliable information. That's when I started to notice that Steve Kamb's blog posts kept coming up in what I considered "good info". And since I'm very much a geek myself, here I am!

Main goals

Becoming a lot fitter and healthier, so I can be a proper role model for my kids, and so I can keep up with them in all kinds of sports until they're well into their teens. In essence, I want to become their AwesomeDad™.

This translates to:

- Losing 35+ kgs (that's 80-ish pounds) in total
- Being able to do 100 consecutive burpees

After each challenge, I just want to see "weight goes down, fitness goes up". Any amount will do.
Last month I was at 112 kg (247 pounds) and could only do 6 burpees in total. Now I'm just under 110 kg (242 pounds), can do 12 consecutive burpees and 30 total. This needs further improving. 

Challenge quests

Become fitter:
- Aim for a 4-to-5-workout schedule each week. Two bodyweight and dumbbell workouts (preferably on Thursday and Sunday) followed by a day of rest. Two lighter cardio sessions (preferably on Saturday and Wednesday). And one medium bodyweight workout (preferably on Tuesdays).

Lose weight:
- Cut back the soda consumption further (2-3 cans per week tops).
- No more sugar in coffee.

Improve sleep quality:
- Aim for an average of 15 minutes more sleep each night.
- No more coffee after 6pm.

Wish me luck, and perseverance!

• Like 6

Current challenge: Work. Eat. Train. Sleep. Repeat. 

2021 threads: Respawn

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV

Thanks, Harriet!

Actually, sticking to water at home isn't all that difficult for me. I just have to resist the urge to grab a can when in front of the tv in the evening, which is doable.

The biggest issue to overcome will be on nights out. Ordering water at a bar feels stupid, and ordering coffee conflicts with my attempts to improve my sleep. Tea to the rescue? :)

But in other great news: I weigh myself every Saturday morning right after waking up and going to the bathroom. The scale said I lost another 4 pounds this week. Body fat % is up a few percent, but it's measured by a scale, so unreliable. The trend is still very much going down. That's motivation, right there! :D

• Like 5

I joined the Academy! And the Yoga!

Yay, me! :D

Unfortunately that also means I've been reading the resources and following the early topics instead of, you know, actually working out. And that after I had skipped my workout yesterday since I just lacked the energy.

Day one, and I'm already guilty of breaking the "never miss two in a row" rule...

tenor.gif?itemid=5305081

Can I get away with a "I had a good reason?" ??? :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Day one, and I'm already guilty of breaking the "never miss two in a row" rule...

tenor.gif?itemid=5305081

Can I get away with a "I had a good reason?" ??? :)

Maybe. The way I see it, if your tiredness is mild to moderate, you should attempt a workout anyway because 1. subjective feelings of energy aren't the best guide to what you can accomplish 2. it's about making habits and pushing yourself, not achieving an awesome workout. So even doing something small, or just getting started and doing half, would be awesome. If your tiredness is severe to hysterical weeping, then yeah, maybe invest in some time off. 

Anyway, the most important thing is to make a mini new start right now! Today is a new day! Tomorrow is a new new day!!! (OMG that cat looks truly terrified).

Edited to add that I agree with Snarky, you're doing an awesome job by setting up this challenge and being here! Have a cute pusheen gif:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Maybe. The way I see it, if your tiredness is mild to moderate, you should attempt a workout anyway because 1. subjective feelings of energy aren't the best guide to what you can accomplish 2. it's about making habits and pushing yourself, not achieving an awesome workout. So even doing something small, or just getting started and doing half, would be awesome. If your tiredness is severe to hysterical weeping, then yeah, maybe invest in some time off. 

Thanks for the tip.

I should have started and done whatever I could (even if it's only a third or half the workout). I didn't start because I knew I wouldn't be able to complete the entire thing, and just resorted to a "rest is important too" mindset.

• Like 4

I only started the challenge two days ago, but I've been at it for a while longer, so I can safely evaluate a full week today. So, how did I do in the first week of the challenge?

- 4-to-5 workouts per week: I only managed 3 this week. Not a complete fail, but a fail nonetheless.

I skipped one because the one before was more brutal on my lower body than I had anticipated and I was suffering from DOMS and a general lack of energy, and I missed a second one because I had just joined the Academy here and spent WAY to much time going over the resources and lost track of time. I'm not going to let that happen again.

- Cut back the soda consumption to 2-3 cans per week: I had 4 on Friday alone, but those are the only 4 since Thursday the week before that, so in a 10-day period. Technically a fail, but one I can live with.

I also had a glass of orange juice yesterday. Doesn't really count for the challenge, but I'm lowering my overall sugar intake, and I shouldn't have drunk it. Then again, the only reason I did drink it, was because my kids didn't (despite ordering it). That type of situation has already given me a great idea for the *next* challenge. :)

- No more sugar in coffee: pass with flying colours!

I've taken a lump of sugar with every coffee cup I have ever drunk because I didn't really like the taste of black coffee. Turns out that I have ZERO issues with black coffee now! That's either a "WTF was I thinking in my teens?" or a "yay for ageing taste buds!".

I'm also going to try some different types of tea, to see if there's any I like just as much. All in all, I only had 5 or 6 cups of coffee all week and one cup of tea, so caffeine consumption was acceptable as well.

- 15 minutes of extra sleep per night: debatable.

I was at an average of only five-and-a-half hours per night, so now I'm looking at 5 hours and 45 minutes each night. Don't gasp, I'm a night owl with a day job and two small kids. Sleep is a luxury for me.

Anyway, I got one night of only 4 hours (my son kept me up), one of 8 hours (to compensate, I was knackered that day), three of 5 hours and 45 minutes, another one of 4 hours and 45 minutes (no excuse for that one), and one of 6 hours and 15 minutes. While that averages at 5 hours and 45 minutes, the one shorter night where I had myself to blame is something that needs to stop.

- No coffee after 6 pm: failed that on Thursday with one cup of coffee and one cup of tea at 8 pm and 8.30 pm. Passed on the other days.

All in all, it's a fail overall, but it's not that far off the mark. Just a bit more effort this coming week, and I got this.

• Like 3

Off to a good start in the second week. Even though the Nerd Fitness Academy benchmark I did yesterday said Level 3, I wanted to start at Level 1 because I'm adding warm up before the work out and stretches after (which I didn't really do these past weeks).

The warm up was practically harder than the workout itself, so I added my dumbbell exercises:

- 4x5(*) side raises

- 2x10 hammer curls (each side)

- 2x10 one-armed floor rows (each side)

- 2x10 floor presses

- 2x10 wrist curls (each side)

(*) I use 10 kg dumbbells but for the side raises I really should use lighter ones, hence the smaller sets.

All in all, a pretty decent work out, and I'm tired enough to get to bed a bit sooner, which nails the sleep challenge as well. Win-win! :cool-new:

• Like 3

On 9/25/2018 at 6:37 AM, Lady Amezan said:

Great set of goals! The archery sounds cool. It's been a long time since I've done archery but it's a big national thing here in Korea; I can't imagine a better sport for combining strength and finesse! And, of course, nerdy awesomeness.

The finesse is prevalent, imo. There is strength involved in archery, but it's less important, and it's certainly not the most physically demanding sport. But there is indeed a nerdy awesomeness to hitting a target 50 meters away with an arrow... :cool-new:

It used to be a big sport here in Belgium as well, 100 years ago. Nowadays it's a very niche sport with only a handful of clubs in a 60 km radius from where I live. The Antwerp area still has many clubs, though.

But yeah, just hearing that you're from Korea makes me jealous. :P

• Like 2

Second week challenge quest summary:

- 4-to-5 workouts: 3 strength workouts, 1 yoga workout - pass!

- Max 3 sodas: I had 3 yesterday afternoon and those were the only ones. - pass!
They even were 200 ml FuzeTea bottles instead of my usual 330 ml Lipton Ice Tea cans, so not only smaller, but FuzeTea also contains half the sugar and half the calories of Ice Tea. Win!

- No more sugar in coffee: pass!
This one's permanent now. I no longer drink coffee with a lump of sugar, I drink it black.

- 15 minutes more sleep on average: pass with flying colours!
The aim is 5 hours and 45 minutes each night (on average - surprises can happen with the kids).
Monday was 5 hours 45 minutes, Tuesday 6 hours 10 minutes, Wednesday 8 hours 10 minutes (!!!), Thursday 5 hours 50 minutes, Friday 7 hours 5 minutes, Saturday 8 hours 10 minutes (!!!) and today 6 hours 10 minutes.
That's an average of 6 hours 45 minutes. A full hour more than what I aimed for.
I'll try and keep it over 6 hours for the coming week.

- No coffee after 6pm: pass!
I only had three cups in the entire week, and they were all in the morning.

The main goal of "weight goes down, fitness goes up" was a success as well.
My weigh-in yesterday morning was 2 kgs lower than that of last week, and I broke my record for consecutive burpees (15 is still a long way away from 100, though).

I had a minor slip-up yesterday evening with a snack binge and a skipped workout, but it didn't impact my week's results, and I bounced back today, so I'm ready for the next week!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Awesome on all your passing grades! Particularly awesome is the permanent no-sugar-in-coffee change. If we can manage lots of little permanent changes like that, eventually our lives will be automatically epic and we'll have to come up with more and more ambitious and ludicrous 4-week challenges, right? 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

4 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Awesome on all your passing grades! Particularly awesome is the permanent no-sugar-in-coffee change. If we can manage lots of little permanent changes like that, eventually our lives will be automatically epic and we'll have to come up with more and more ambitious and ludicrous 4-week challenges, right? 

That's why we take *small* steps. They're easier to overcome, easier to maintain, easier to keep the momentum going, and they get you to the finish line just as easily.

It's better to walk a marathon and finish it, than to start it sprinting and having to give up after a couple of miles.

And yes, small steps keep the challenges from becoming overly ambitious. :P

Although once you reach your goal, "keeping up the previous challenges" also counts, imo. :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

How did week 3 go?

Poorly. Many days without a workout. Too many. Especially since I can't seem to get myself started on an "off" day.

Week 3 results:

4-to-5 workouts: FAIL.

Only did 2 workouts, and while they were extended with my dumbbell routine, it's far too little.

I started one cardio workout, but quickly stopped since my kids were a tad too interested in the rope jumping I was doing, and I didn't restart again afterwards.

Basically, I did the minimum amount this week, nowhere near the actual goal.

Max 3 sodas: gray area between pass and fail.

I had 4 sodas today, but they were 250ml ones instead of my usual 330ml ones, so it's the same amount as for the goal. :P

I also had two gin-tonics, but since I only drink alcohol about once a month, and since I make no mention of alcohol in the goals, I'm not counting it. :angel:

Nothing but water and coffee on all other days.

No more sugar in coffee: pass.

No more coffee after 6pm: pass.

I drank more coffee than the previous weeks (none on weekdays, but a whopping 9 cups yesterday, and 6 cups today), but all in the morning and the afternoon.

6 hours of sleep on average: gray area between pass and fail.

I averaged exactly 6 hours this week, but that's all because of one longer night of sleep to compensate for all the others. Can't exactly call it a fail, since I averaged 6 hours, but it's not a pass either, imo.

Monday: 5 hours

Tuesday: 5 hours 40 minutes

Wednesday: 7 hours 50 minutes

Thursday: 6 hours

Friday: 6 hours

Saturday: 5 hours 40 minutes

Sunday: 5 hours 50 minutes

Overall a fail. I need to step up my game where workouts are concerned.

• Like 2

Oh no, sorry your week was not as glorious as intended. At least the coffee restrictions seem to have stuck. I guess some of the bigger changes need to be thrown against the wall of habit a few times before they stick for good. It's certainly not my first time quitting sugar :D

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 6:04 PM, Harriet said:

Oh no, sorry your week was not as glorious as intended. At least the coffee restrictions seem to have stuck. I guess some of the bigger changes need to be thrown against the wall of habit a few times before they stick for good. It's certainly not my first time quitting sugar :D

Actually, the only thing bugging me was the low amount of workouts (because I skipped two in a row twice last week).

The rest is very acceptable.

And this week will be different. This week will be better.

I'm already 1/1 for this week.

Gotta keep that up!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

On 10/9/2018 at 5:33 PM, Harriet said:

Love the gif. I've been watching twin peaks for the first time just recently. Coop is my favourite, obviously.

I grew up with that series. Not interested in the new series, though. The original doesn't need a follow-up, imo, especially not 20 years later.

But your reply and love for Coop deserves another thumbs up:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I thought I would pop over and say Hi real fast

On 10/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, TimovieMan said:

That's why we take *small* steps. They're easier to overcome, easier to maintain, easier to keep the momentum going, and they get you to the finish line just as easily.

It's better to walk a marathon and finish it, than to start it sprinting and having to give up after a couple of miles.

This is exactly perfect. adn the small steps are also easier to keep up as you add more small steps.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, TimovieMan said:

And yes, small steps keep the challenges from becoming overly ambitious. :P

Although once you reach your goal, "keeping up the previous challenges" also counts, imo. :)

I fully believe in keeping up previous challenges. At first I did something like "Sit ups 1x a day" then next challenge was "sit ups x1 a day, leg lifts 1x a day" and it grows from there. I also tend to do things that can be done in less than 5 minutes because sometimes that is all the time we have between kids and life and surprises. So one challenge was just "clean island in the kitchen before bed" and now about 75% of the kitchen gets cleaned.  Its much easier to say "in 5 minutes I can get this done" than "Now, I need to go do the whole kitchen."

Challenge looks great btw. Glad to see its going so well (overall).

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

I grew up with that series. Not interested in the new series, though. The original doesn't need a follow-up, imo, especially not 20 years later.

But your reply and love for Coop deserves another thumbs up:

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bbcfe497a6151504d

Hahaha awesome. I'm pretty sure I was too young to watch it when it came out, but retro is the new cool. I didn't even know there was a new series. Is it terrible? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Hahaha awesome. I'm pretty sure I was too young to watch it when it came out, but retro is the new cool. I didn't even know there was a new series. Is it terrible? 

I doubt it. Reviews were good, Lynch is creator again, a lot of the original cast was retained, etc.

I just fear it's going to destroy precious memories. Which is also why I'd be reluctant to watch the original series again now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

I just fear it's going to destroy precious memories. Which is also why I'd be reluctant to watch the original series again now.

I understand this completely. I grew up reading Harry Potter, and I'm not sure if I want to read the author's new material. It feels so weird to see the story added to with new material. But I probably will anyway.

• Like 1

• TimovieMan changed the title to TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™