• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dsavage

Dsavage is back from Dr-ordered timeout!

Alright nerds. You may have forgotten me. Life conspired to take me out of the game for way too long. I ended up with more responsibility at work (lame excuse I know). I also messed up my shoulder so thoroughly that I needed a huge surgery and almost a year of recovery.

But that's all behind me now. I've put all the pieces in place.

Protein? Check.

Gym membership? Check.

A fridge full of Costco chicken? Check.

Let's do this. I'm starting out about 15lbs too fat so my plan is to go back to the diet that worked before (Paleo) and ease back into things with a good mix of riding to the gym for cardio and a shit ton of powerlifting/Olympic lifting for exercise.

Over the next 3 weeks my goals are:

1. Hit gym 4 days/week

2. Transition back into Paleo

3. Drop 2lb/week

I'll update more tomorrow.

Also: is there a non-facebook messanger place where y'all chat these days? I miss IRC. Discord? WhatsApp?

• Like 2

It's been over a year, so you get a welcome back cheer.

Related image

Do you have a specific workout plan? I'm always curious as how PL and OLY lifts are combined in a program.

On 9/24/2018 at 12:22 AM, dsavage said:

I also messed up my shoulder so thoroughly that I needed a huge surgery and almost a year of recovery.

Geez man... what did you do that required that kind of reconstruction??!?!? Sounds painful... does it at least have a good story? I like stories...

13 hours ago, Legolas Greenleaf said:

Geez man... what did you do that required that kind of reconstruction??!?!? Sounds painful... does it at least have a good story? I like stories...

I did that once! 

I tore my biceps tendon doing push-ups...

It was not as heroic as I and hoped my first surgery worthy injury would be.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Legolas Greenleaf said:

lol was it at least a LOT of push ups?

I have no idea, to be fair they were decline pushups with my feet on a top bunk.

On 9/26/2018 at 11:44 AM, Grumble said:

Do you have a specific workout plan? I'm always curious as how PL and OLY lifts are combined in a program.

Cards on the table? Not really. In fact last week I only got one weight workout in (and a couple quick cardio sessions). In the past I have worked with personal trainers who took an approach where you started the session with some oly lifting (cleans mainly), since those... seem worst to do if you're already fatigued. After that we'd jump into deadlift/squat/bench. In the past I've done things like 5x5.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:03 AM, Legolas Greenleaf said:

Well, the short answer is... I don't really know. About 4 years ago I took a pretty hard crash on my longboard after, and I kid you not, watching The Secret Life of Walter Mitty where he skates in Iceland. I decided I should longboard down my street. I crashed pretty hard at the bottom and had trouble sleeping on that side for a few weeks. It was ok for a while, but later I was doing alot of rock climbing and had a few falls where I caught myself with one arm. Over a few months it just started deteriorating and I decided to see a Dr and a Physical Therapist. So by the time I went under the knife they:

• Re-attached a frayed bicep tendon
  • Put in 5 stitches for a torn labrum (I think this was from the climbing falls)
  • Filed down a bone spur
  • Examined but chose not to touch a partial rotator cuff tear (I think this was from the longboard thing)

It's been a long process. I was in intense pain for about 6 weeks (medium/low pain for quite a while after). At around month 4 I got the clear to do a little scuba diving in Thailand. At month 6 I was finally allowed to start working out. It was a slow process, I couldn't do a pullup or pushup. Lots of atrophy in my bicep. I've tried to stay reasonably active, at least can do 12 pushups and one pullup, which is pretty bad but sort of normal for out-of-shape me.

So I'm still hanging in there. Officially still on the re-entry ramp to fitness. What's happened in the last week? Sit down and I'll tell you. I'm not going to be crushing any powerlifting records soon, but I'm going to try and hang onto the a reasonable level of fitness by my fingernails.

First off, I'm going to India. Again. Going to try to make good food choices there. It's the 2nd trip this year. My job is crazy, as we've grown from 3 to 40 people in my group, I end up spending an unreasonable amount of time just sharing context to new team members. 

I did manage to bike to the gym and get in some cleans and deadlifts. I can do 2 pullups now. Progress!

As for the rest of the week, well I didn't have much success getting to the gym but I do have something I'm excited to share with my old NF buddies (Is Brodin even still around? Flex? I don't recognize too many people other than the ever-awesome @RedStone )

As of monday I closed a purchase of over 3 acres of land in the mountains. There's nothing on the land except for a Yurt, a sauna, and a teepee. I work from home, and there happens to be a t-mobile tower across the valley, so I can spend all my time in the yurt once we finish the solar installation and install a signal booster (should take me from 10megabit to 25megabit). 

The best part? I talked my wife into naming our little mountain place "Stedding Summit". In the Wheel Of Time series a stedding is where the ogier (incredibly strong but gentle non-humans) go when they need refuge and peace. It seemed appropriate. https://imgur.com/gallery/nQqViZ5

q1QuV-cOMQrPOj-xC_GuT3junOStU_f0kwOCGkVr

That's not particularly fitness related but whatever. I will say that for 48 hours I carried giant stones up and down a hill, and deadlifted a trailer hitch stuck in the mud and pushed it around. I got more activity in a day than I think I've had in the last couple weeks. Mountain life == best life.

That's all. Maybe I'll go drop by some of y'alls threads now and say hi.

Current goal: actually drop 5 pounds before India.

• Like 3

I mean, it already has a yurt so. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Grats! And yes, @Br0din is still around, Flex, not so much. Because of you I've had IRC open the last few days/week. Almost no activity, but a few names up there. Swing by!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dsavage said:

The best part? I talked my wife into naming our little mountain place "Stedding Summit". In the Wheel Of Time series a stedding is where the ogier (incredibly strong but gentle non-humans) go when they need refuge and peace. It seemed appropriate. https://imgur.com/gallery/nQqViZ5

This makes me inordinately happy.

Image result for ogier wot funny