• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

This is going to sound really wimpy, but I need an answer if possible.  I've restarted Stronglifts 5x5 for the umpteenth time in my lifetime and I've noticed a pattern.  I go steadily for about 3 weeks and then I have to stop due to knee pain.  I'm afraid to end up injured, but I don't want to stop working out this time.  Realizing that part of the problem is that the weights are heavier (I'm back squatting 62.5 lbs last workout... I'll pause so you can finish snickering), this is a recurrent problem for me that I'd like to kick so that I can continue to progress. Suggestions are needed if any of you hardcore lifters have any.

Thanks in advance!

There are far more experienced lifters than me here, so they might be able to help you more, but one thing I would suggest it might be is your stance. It might not be what's affecting you, but I know when I get knee pain, that tends to be the culprit. Are your feet wide enough/too wide? Do your toes point in the right direction? That sort of thing. 

I just did another workout to be sure.  It's a burning pain that pulls away from the joint.  It only happens when I squat deep, so Squats, Barbell Rows, and Deadlifts.  It goes away as I finish those exercises and comes back when I start again.  I've checked my stance as much as possible and I don't think it's wrong.  I'm careful to keep my heels about shoulder width apart and angle out my feet and knees so they go out over each other.  I've been resting from Sunday until today, so it wasn't so bad.  I just need to know if this is normal and I need to just work through it or if I should be concerned.  

For reference, I'm a 5foot1.5inch female that's about 100lbs overweight(254lbs) and is just starting to level up her life (again).  I want to avoid pitfalls if possible.

I'd probably look at adding some glute work in, women are already prone to valgus collapse (knees caving in), and it gets worse when you're holding up more bodyweight - it can add some discomfort, as well as actual injury. You can also explore other knee dominant movements as an alternative to barbell squats, such as split squats, goblet squats, reverse lunge, skater squat, etc.