Be Strong and Courageous

Thank you everyone who came with me on this first chapter of my journey! You helped make it possible - through advice, encouragement, accountability, and positive vibes - and I wouldn't be where I am today without you! Thank YOU for making a difference.

Unfortunately my kiddos were sent home from school sick today, so will have to improvise and postpone kicking off the next chapter for a couple days. But I will be checking in. :fat:

@Elastigirl @Jean @TimovieMan @Sloth the Enduring @Arkania @Rubik'sCat

• Like 6

My Epic Quest: Faith Conquers Fear

image.png.50c44bf3298b7f95ada8b1c790bf36ca.png   image.png.2c57a1c7b08fc5c54daf8ddb3b05155c.png

Ok, just a quick update. I'm using the "down time" I have to formulate my game plan for this next chapter. 

I'm going to go with a 5x5 routine comprised of the following exercies: Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row, Overhead Press, and Deadlift.

Since the gym at work only has a pulley system and dumbbells, I will be getting creative with most of these:

Squat --> Dumbbell Squat https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/dumbbell-squat

Bench Press --> Dumbbell Bench Press https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/dumbbell-bench-press

Barbell Row --> Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/bent-over-two-dumbbell-row

Overhead Press --> Dumbbell Shoulder Press https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/dumbbell-shoulder-press

Deadlift --> Cable Deadlift https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/cable-deadlifts

I also intend to throw in some extra cardio just because, and will probably incorporate exercises from the beginner bodyweight routine just to mix things up.

In other news, yesterday I received official approval from Rebel Legion for my Princess Leia kit! I am super excited because I constructed the garment and belt myself and the approval affirms my skills and provides a creative outlet to not just share those skills but also contribute to my community. I'm a real Rebel now!

19197-A.jpg       image.png.ea01da117cd2576e1326df4ff937702f.png

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't like the new plan.

I should probably try to get to a real gym.

Or settle for dumbbell squats at a lower weight, because I can't hold on to much more than 40lbs in each hand, and I can tell that trying to squat with a pulley barbell impacts form and increases risk of injury.

I did get a little cardio in. Can't say I "ran" a mile because it was more of a 60/120 exercise at a 6.0/3.0mph pace. Let's see how the knee feels tomorrow.

Until such time as I can afford a gym membership, it's back to the drawing board; this time starting with the tools I have (pulley systems and dumbbells) and modifying the workout plan, rather than the other way around. 

Nevertheless, today was not a defeat. God will make good of it, somehow!

image.png.a88ce7a321e1f99cba0cb7681c0449cf.png

• Like 2

Don’t get discouraged so soon. If you don’t like this plan there are plenty of dumbbell plans online. I won’t suggest one because I’ve never done one.

A tweak you can do is swap out the squats/ deadlifts for Bulgarian split squats (squat with one leg behind you on a bench) and/or lunges (I’ll suggest reverse lunges because they’re knee friendly) and/or step ups. 40# in each hand should be plenty.

They’re not an exact match for squats and dead’s, but they’ll allow you to hit your legs and glutes hard.

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Don’t get discouraged so soon. If you don’t like this plan there are plenty of dumbbell plans online. I won’t suggest one because I’ve never done one.

A tweak you can do is swap out the squats/ deadlifts for Bulgarian split squats (squat with one leg behind you on a bench) and/or lunges (I’ll suggest reverse lunges because they’re knee friendly) and/or step ups. 40# in each hand should be plenty.

They’re not an exact match for squats and dead’s, but they’ll allow you to hit your legs and glutes hard.

I will certainly take your advice! Pretty sure I messed up yesterday because my back is more sore - not injured, just sore - than my legs so I must have done SOMETHING wrong. Either improper form due to extra weight or too much weight or both, I'm not sure. I just don't want to stop improving!

Ok, new game plan. Not exactly like the 5x5 routine, but I think it will be a challenge and a good next step for the time being.

image.thumb.png.c56f5db3a8b985b3e41b5fc5d09e7e79.png

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

I've downloaded the JEFIT app and created my plan so I can track it. The goal is to do M/W/F - Workout A/Workout B/NF Bodyweight Circuit, with some cardio thrown in on T/Th. 

image.png.67873110b1297d10e35425ba9e80b3ec.png

This should be fun!

• Like 2

Well, that was interesting, to say the least.

Not sure how I feel about doing each exercise 3x in a row vs spreading them out throughout a circuit. Jury's out. I want to do some research on the differences between the two methods. Also not sure how I feel about taking 1 minute rests between each exercise. That is a long, boring minute.

Because it wasn't a circuit, I went with 8 reps for each exercise, which is fewer than what the NF circuit calls for. However, I feel like I got closer to muscle failure. Not necessarily a goal (is it supposed to be with this type of routine?), just an effect I noticed.

Using the dumbbells - only 10lbs in each hand - vs the barbell for squats has its pros and cons.

• Pro: I can stand in front of the mirror and get a good look at my form
  • Con: To avoid hitting my legs during the exercise I have to hold the weights out a little

Unless I'm doing it wrong.

In any case, that set my shoulders up for failure. Went from squats to pushups, got through one set of pushups just fine, second set was difficult, third set I died out at nine. Like I had every intention of pushing back up but as soon as I started the movement the muscles just stopped and I literally collapsed. Thought about just staying there and taking a nap. 

Lunges were next. Definitely prefer the walking lunges - can you believe that! Looking back at Day 1 of the NF program my comment was "don't like lunges." I found myself losing a lot of balance trying to perform the lunges in one spot. Definitely doesn't allow for pushing up through the heel but rather pushing back through the toes. 

Unless I'm doing it wrong?

No issues with the dumbell row. Same exercise just 3 sets in succession. Can probably up the weight.

The plank though. Oh my goodness. My shoulders. Didn't feel hardly anything in my abs because my shoulders were done. Made it through one 60s rep, took the 60s rest as per the app, then crashed and burned after 50s on the second rep. Could've been because I thought I could get by without my Thor music because for rep three I cranked that song, closed my eyes and actually made it through the whole 60s. My arms were shaking though!

Didn't figure out until after the fact how to add "aerobic" exercise to the workout, so the app didn't count the 3 sets of 50 jumping jacks. Oh well. 

Happy Friday y'all!

circuits vs.  rep sets; Both are good, It's  probably a good idea to swap them out occasionally. Circuits build up more over all endurance, reps sets build up more strength. Doing them in reps sets takes longer, but it is good to do them. And the rest period in between is super important. It allows your muscles to rest, and you can come back fresh and do the next rep more efficient.

Woohoo on the 60 second plank! Sometimes for planks, I'll do them with my arms bent , so my elbows are on the ground. That gives me more of a chance to focus on the abs

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 12/1/2018 at 5:18 AM, Elastigirl said:

Sometimes for planks, I'll do them with my arms bent , so my elbows are on the ground. That gives me more of a chance to focus on the abs

Possibly a stupid question, but I thought they were supposed to be done with the elbows on the ground!? How else do you do them??? :o

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

2 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Possibly a stupid question, but I thought they were supposed to be done with the elbows on the ground!? How else do you do them??? :o

With your arms straight,palms on the ground. Not a stupid question. Different places show them different ways. Like I told Ayrihn, I actually prefer them with bent elbows. I think that focus's more on the abs.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

With your arms straight,palms on the ground. Not a stupid question. Different places show them different ways. Like I told Ayrihn, I actually prefer them with bent elbows. I think that focus's more on the abs.

That's like a push-up without the actual push-up. Doesn't that mean that your arms do most of the actual work, not your abs?

I'm sticking with the bent elbows. :)

• Like 1

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

That's like a push-up without the actual push-up. Doesn't that mean that your arms do most of the actual work, not your abs?

I'm sticking with the bent elbows. :)

That's how it always felt to me anyway. 

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

That's how it always felt to me anyway. 

Yes I do my planks on my elbows as well :) Definitely more ab work there!!!

@Elastigirl thank you for the insight about circuit vs rep sets!! I feel a lot better about the routine now.

I actually swapped out the last two exercises today - 1. because I couldn't figure out how to use the pulley machines for the calf reps (?) and 2. it was getting crowded and I was just standing there looking like a goof. Instead I did a quick 1/2 mile on the treadmill. Did a 1/2 mile warm up too. Maintained an almost 10 minute mile pace. Needed to burn some emotional energy anyways. I can feel my endurance building slowly but surely. Don't tell anyone, but I think I might actually be growing fond of running again. I was never good at being fast, but I liked going far. So far no negative effects with the short bursts I've done. Hm. 

image.png.0053ff21acb837f9918f3f12a74b0c80.png

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 2:56 PM, Rubik'sCat said:

Very impressive Fit-Bit numbers. I misread the screenshot too. I thought..is she really doing 960 front lat pulldowns and 240 bicep curls?! :D

You've also inspired me to begin the NF Beginner Body Workout too, so thank you.

Maybe someday I'll get those numbers! Haha! 

The way it tracks is weight by reps...so 40lbs for 8 reps. For the dumbbell ones the weight is per hand, so for example 10lbs each/20lbs total for the shoulder press :) 

So excited to see you're taking on the Beginner Bodyweight Workout!!! It's definitely transformational - be sure to take a "before" photo on Day 1 to compare with upon completion. You may not see much or even any movement on the scale, so the photo will be encouraging. As a good friend once told me, "You diet to lose weight, you work out to change your shape." So while you may not lose "weight," you will change your shape for the better! I'm looking forward to following your journey!

• Like 1

No running Friday. The knee was crack-a-lackin. Hoping the rest I gave it over the weekend will be good enough to allow a short run after today's strength session.

I skimmed an article, that was actually a snippet of a podcast, which I did not listen to, because it was answering the question "which comes first - cardio or weights" for maximum effect? 

The bottom line was strength first - then cardio. Didn't stick around long enough for all the research behind the conclusion, but I just wanted to share in case anyone here was curious. 

Have to really focus on keeping the macros tight this week. Got hit by 3 significant punches over the weekend:

• General holiday yumminess EVERYWHERE
  • Holiday "hustle and bustle" interrupting routine meal planning
  • Increased appetite - like clockwork

I've been pretty good about posting details on the workout side of things...now to take another "courageous" step and commit to sharing my calorie tracker. I'd rather keep that to myself because:

1. When I cheat, I go into denial and intentionally don't track it, and to be transparent with this I will have to track everything
  2. I'm afraid of being judged - not to be confused with being held accountable
  3. With everything else in life, trying to keep to a diet as well as making time to accurately track both exercise and diet can actually become stressors for me and  when I get to a certain point that crosses the threshold between "stressed" and "utterly overwhelmed," diet is the first to go - I know that there will be weeks when the challenge will seem impossible - but I will do my best

Happy Monday all!

image.png.dce29064cd9f4247da4d6a91392a0594.png

• Like 1

I don't think you need to worry about being judged for eating more than your goal, most of us have been there. On your point number three, that tracking and exercise become stressors, is there something you could shift so it wouldn't be as much of a stressor? Because you are right, they are stressors. Sometimes it works for me to have an ideal plan and a fall back plan. Maybe when you're stressed, only workout 2 days a week, or pledge to track 3-4 days a week if you can't make all the days. For me having an easier fall back plan keeps me from just giving up altogether. Realizing that it doesn't always have to be perfect, good enough actually does help me make progress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I don't think you need to worry about being judged for eating more than your goal, most of us have been there. On your point number three, that tracking and exercise become stressors, is there something you could shift so it wouldn't be as much of a stressor? Because you are right, they are stressors. Sometimes it works for me to have an ideal plan and a fall back plan. Maybe when you're stressed, only workout 2 days a week, or pledge to track 3-4 days a week if you can't make all the days. For me having an easier fall back plan keeps me from just giving up altogether. Realizing that it doesn't always have to be perfect, good enough actually does help me make progress.

I'm perfectly fine with (deserved) um...constructive criticism; it's more the "all you ate today were 6 boiled eggs and two protein shakes? That's not good for you!" *eyebrows up, look of superior disapproval, head shaking* type stuff. Because I have been known to go to very limited extremes at times - especially after a day weekend of poor eating decisions. I learned to fight it off when I was following keto, but it still bothers me. As for things not always having to be perfect - you're talking to a recovering perfectionist and I'll admit I do have my episodes of relapse :unconscious: 

That's what I love about being here. We're all here to become better, cheer each other on, give advice, and pick each other up on those not-so-perfect days. Yeah Team!!

image.png.b302dea475145198c2a400cc5eb238b5.png

• Like 1

OK. Missed the gym yesterday but did get to go outside for a change for a nice jog with a buddy. Wasn't aiming for time or anything, was just happy to have a workout partner. Times include warm-up/cool-down (walking) :) 

542F8175-091D-4912-82A0-1548619AE029.jpeg

Not sure how to share my food diary yet. Been pretty busy this week so haven't had time to figure it out. I think the added running has messed with my appetite anyways so macros and calories are all out of whack. I woke up at 3:00 this morning with a rumbly in my tumbly and that was after at least a 1322+ calorie day - I may have snacked on some Cheetos and cream cheese frosting while dinner was cooking and no I didn't track them so figure tack on at least 300 more calories. I might also recalculate my macros. I've used calculators for "cutting" and "powerlifting macros" and IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) and I haven't been able to stay within range. Don't want to go back to strict Keto with the emphasis on strength training just because with everything I've read the carb deficiency will hinder muscle growth. It seems I tend to not hit the protein goal and then go over either on fat or carbs, sometimes both.

image.png.4dd951c689cfd0664c4eb63ccfa613b3.png

Does anyone know - when strength training and trying to lose *fat* (not necessarily *weight*) is it better to cut carbs or to cut fat? I know technically protein should be about 1g per lb of bodyweight (yeah I don't usually achieve that even with protein shake supplements), but then where should the fat/carbs fall? Especially if I'm not hitting the protein goal? I'm kinda lost in all the info out there, so I'm letting the exercise do most of the work and then just doing my best to use food as a fuel source without negating the progress made with the exercise. It's working-ish, scale moved down this week (after moving up last week so not much of a net loss...) but I really prefer having left and right limits as opposed to just winging it. Hm.

I don't know. I'm all over the place today. Sorry about that. Have a trooping event tonight so I'm counting that as my workout. May the Force be with You!

P.S. Figured it out. Better to take a screenshot from the actual site; doesn’t look like the app has a sharing option without making everything public or making people sign up. Here’s yesterday. FYI I weighed in at 154.7 yesterday. I'll throw in the weight tracker maybe once a week.

2F8EFD1A-DDC7-4AD9-9F23-D708544110A8.jpeg

Great job cutting down on the sugar and increasing protein intake though. This sounds like my problem too. I'm what they call "skinny-fat". 

Fats contribute 9 kcal/g opposed to protein and carbs contributing 4 kcal/g, so cutting down on the foods with lots of the bad fats will cut your calories, so that's super great for weight loss for one thing. The ones you definitely don't want are saturated and trans fats.

The recommended ratio would be 45%, 35%, 20% (carbs, proteins, fats). That's just what popped up on Google but it's not one size fits all.

And by the way, it's 0.8 to 1.1 g / kg of body weight (1 kg = 2.2 lbs).

I hope this helps.

• Like 1