Be Strong and Courageous

image.png.2a74ba66e3d4fd7b7376829c139eed04.png

Happy Thursday everyone!! 

So far so good on dumping the holiday/travel weight!

image.png.f1ce5b4e801f769f0d56b9850c638281.png

I know with strength training the scale should not be priority, but I know myself well enough that if I go beyond a certain number, my trooping garb won't fit very well. I also haven't been consistent at the gym. :hopelessness:  To me that's ok at the moment, because as they say, "you can't outrun a bad diet." So getting the diet/weight back in check, and getting to the gym when I can. I have to travel next week for work anyways, so come first week of February it's game on!!!

image.png.5e1b74aedb361de84026cac53a78b20c.png

• Like 1

My Epic Quest: Faith Conquers Fear

2 minutes ago, Rubik'sCat said:

Oh no...I'm sorry your weight has been spiking in January but game on in February is a great attitude to maintain. Great job on ending January on a high note! 

Thanks! That plateau you see there is me in denial not wanting to input the gradually increasing numbers on those days :playful:  My own fault. 1. I stopped going to the gym over the holiday break 2. I indulged too much and too often 3. Traveling for work didn't help at all

My body was not happy the last 2 days (Wed/Thu). I can't remember if I tracked accurately earlier this week. But here are my food diaries! Feeling a LOT better this morning. The caloric goal already factors in my activity (so no fitbit stats), which hasn't really happened this week. I did make myself go to the gym yesterday though. I think that's why I'm feeling so much better today. Between the gym and crushing my sugar cravings things are starting to look up! I can't believe it literally took almost to the end of January. The whole "January is a free trial month" was supposed to be a joke, but turns out it took the whole month to recover from December (well, plus the first two weeks of January...week one was still holiday break from school, and week two was travel, so really it's just been the past 2 weeks or so getting myself in gear) - mentally, physically, and gastronomically. 

image.thumb.png.99d4d79ca0ee8710c239550f4c291938.png

image.png.181dfbc14d0ae25ed53d59046ebc6671.png

image.thumb.png.4ded36aa8aa932368f24b102a8301cd0.png

image.thumb.png.1632142f1a455b56e996b606d5925838.png

image.png.3e64598313f3926dbeff0c0bdef6d627.png

Low carb (not necessarily keto) seems to be pretty effective for me. Just need to hit that protein goal, which may be set a little high, but is working. I do want to be cognizant of how much animal protein I consume, because I have read that some high-protein diets (like Atkins) in the long term can have negative effects. 

Happy Friday everyone!! Only one week left in January...let's finish strong!!!

P.S. Thanks for carrying me through Team. For answering my questions, cheering me out of this rut, and letting me know you got my back :)

image.png.0ddee1cea45612e819f0115cbd0ab497.png

• Like 1

Happy Tuesday all!

If the rest of 2019 is anything like the Free Trial Month, it's going to be quite the rugged journey. Challenge accepted.

image.png.4d8683a05d08e4e5a2ada74a7b836177.png

Sharing some photos from this past weekend. R2 joined us which was AWESOME! It was a beautiful troop; the kids we met at the Children's Hospital were just amazing and it was so incredibly fulfilling to be able to bring just a few minutes of joy to them as they fight their unique battles. 

image.thumb.png.1a972d55beb26c72ed939e3b88ecdcc5.png

image.png.c4cc4b080065994f903518dc04e18572.png

Not sure how much gym time I'll get this week due to business travel again; if anything I'll default to the beginner bodyweight routine in the hotel room. For sure maintaining focus on watching those carbs.

Oh! And I learned something last week! I need to do some additional research but my question was essentially this:

If we eat excess protein and that protein gets converted into sugar, can't our muscles use that sugar like they use straight-up carbs?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The protein-to-sugar conversion (I think it was glycogen?) is processed differently and cannot be absorbed in the same way as glucose, which is why strength trainers can't depend solely on protein for sustenance. 

Ok that was kind of short too. Like I said, need to do more research. Maybe that's why I wasn't feeling so hot during my workout last week.

How is your week going so far?

image.png.99812c4cca4f8df6e9dc4bdd8ed21f92.png

• Like 2

"Powering through this week like Wonderwoman". Pretty much this. ;)

That's quite a dark sided team (unless those are pre-empire stormtroopers? Maybe?). I knew they had cookies but it's heart-warming to see they also have a heart. Good job at the hospital, you must have made quite the impression!

Funny thing about the proteins, so how does our body "eats" our muscles when there's no more sugar or fat available? Now you're giving me incentive to do some research too. Damn!

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

5 minutes ago, Jean said:

That's quite a dark sided team (unless those are pre-empire stormtroopers? Maybe?). I knew they had cookies but it's heart-warming to see they also have a heart. Good job at the hospital, you must have made quite the impression!

Yeah, I'm constantly outnumbered. :highly_amused: Anakin was on our side that day (blue lightsaber!) and we have other Rebels who just weren't able to make it. Our team is balanced pretty well to be honest. Can't really have one without the other! 

3 minutes ago, Ayrihn said:

Anakin was on our side that day (blue lightsaber!)

That's convenient. ^^ R2 counts for 10, anyway, so maybe you should have brought a stormtrooper or two more. ;)

Your costumes are amazing, by the way. I can't imagine how much time it takes you to make that perfect hairdo.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

12 hours ago, Ayrihn said:

f we eat excess protein and that protein gets converted into sugar, can't our muscles use that sugar like they use straight-up carbs?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The protein-to-sugar conversion (I think it was glycogen?) is processed differently and cannot be absorbed in the same way as glucose, which is why strength trainers can't depend solely on protein for sustenance. 

Interesting.I lost weight doing low carb, but when I kept it up while in maintenance, I eventually hit a wall as far as strength training progress. It wasn't until I added some more carbs in that I was able to improve my workout

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Woohoo!! Did goooooood yesterday! 

Since I signed up for Pat's Run, I'm going to shift focus to cardio training for a bit. Yes I know I've been all over the place with trying something and not really sticking to it long enough for results to manifest. Since I want to lower my BFP anyways I figured why not aim to maximize both my running performance and weight/inches loss. Since I've had prior success with keto (I PROMISE I will share that story one of these days) and keto is still doable with a cardio program (vs weightlifting), I'll be focusing on those two up until April 27th, the day of the run. To maintain the muscle I have left (lol), I'm going to restart the Beginner Bodyweight Workout with three modifications: 

1. Alternate dumbbell rows with other back/shoulder weight exercises such as lat pulldown and back raises - to help with posture and reduce the flabbiness in those places ha!

2. Removing jumping jacks - replacing with a run

3. No weights except for the rows/pulldown/back raises - the goal will be building speed and endurance vs. strength.

After the circuit, run. 

Did pretty good yesterday. Did the circuit and got a 10min jog in afterwards. Feeling sore but not dead today. And so far so good on eating intentionally.

image.thumb.png.6d078cb972669633457298b4f1a6265c.png

Blue is carbs, green is protein, red is fat, with the dot being the goal. 10%c/25%p/65%f

image.png.ee880831bcc39e718ea9282bc826038f.png

Is anyone else super glad that January is over? 

• Like 3

Do you think your snack eating has anything to do with your run? Could it be that you are legitimately  hungry  because you are now running? Another thought to consider, I have this weird exercise balance point where some exercise makes me less hungry and then more exercise (especially cardio) just makes me want to eat all the things and I end up overeating. My point is, sometimes it just takes a bit of experimenting to find the formula that works for you. I know you ran yesterday, but if you were in a bigger deficit yesterday, your body may still be wanting more

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 2/6/2019 at 1:20 PM, Elastigirl said:

Do you think your snack eating has anything to do with your run? Could it be that you are legitimately  hungry  because you are now running? Another thought to consider, I have this weird exercise balance point where some exercise makes me less hungry and then more exercise (especially cardio) just makes me want to eat all the things and I end up overeating. My point is, sometimes it just takes a bit of experimenting to find the formula that works for you. I know you ran yesterday, but if you were in a bigger deficit yesterday, your body may still be wanting more

Or hormones :lemo:

Breakfast actually kept me pretty satisfied all the first half of the day. Finally had "lunch" around 2, because I didn't want to wait until too close to the workout. 

image.png.aa998d06158f26c06c645d1f45d35363.png

Feeling ok. Wondering what I was thinking, signing up for a 4.2 mile run. It was impulsive. Why not join with the rest of my company (we're a sponsor for the event) and simultaneously honor the legacy of a fallen hero? Because running is for the birds, that's why not! UGH.

Don't mind me. My body just can't keep up with where my mind wants it to be. 12:46 minute mile after the circuit. 17:46 total time with the cool down. Total 1.18 miles. I used to be able to run a whole 2 miles in that 17:46 time. UGH. Oh well. Tomorrow's a rest day. Ending today on a positive note. Look out, Friday - I'm coming for you!

image.png.d2406e7fdddb6c92d1f9869731bb85e2.png

• Like 1

image.png

Woot woot!!!! Making progress slowly but surely!!! 

I did not like the run while I was running (if you could even call it "running" ha!) but afterward I got that runner's high with almost no post-run respiratory issues (it's an El Paso thing, with the air being so dry, the elevation at around 4,700 feet, and the dust that's been getting kicked up by the wind lately, it's not uncommon for otherwise healthy people to have coughing fits after a run). And this morning not only was there movement on the scale, but I can see some shrinkage in my flabby. Hahahaha! Remember when I said that to fit in my kit I know I need to be at least at or under a certain weight? Well, I got below that mark and it is honestly visible. Like I can tell the difference as if it happened overnight. I can't remember if I've made this comparison before, but it's kind of like suddenly noticing your kid grew a inch - you don't see it as it's happening, you just suddenly notice there's a difference, as if it happened overnight. 

Going to enjoy this rest day and hit the gym hard tomorrow!

image.png

• Like 1

Been home with sick kiddos this week. They're over the worst though; just need to ride out the lingering cough :( 

Decided to cut out caffeine. It's helped, surprisingly! Replacing with decaf coffee and herbal teas  (@Elastigirl!)

image.thumb.png.483d2444ada4e1a8f3f3f131cae74c67.png

https://www.ruled.me/complete-guide-exercise-ketogenic-diet/

Feel like I just can't get a handle on things. I hope to get in a good run today though. And I miss the strength training. 

image.png.21701858867c40ac18f7117b54968cfb.png

• Like 2