Wow, I stink at titles... A New Rebel Intro

Hello everyone! My name is Sam and I'm new to the rebellion. Growing up I was that quiet chubby girl who was always in the library or music room. About six years ago I did a complete fitness overhaul and got myself in really good shape. I stayed there for three years until life smacked me upside the head.

I had been fighting anxiety and depression for many years - it was actually what spurred me on to try and get in shape in the first place. Unfortunately my genetics decided that that wasn't going to work for me, and the floodgates were opened. My depression and anxiety became so severe that leaving my room to use the bathroom or get something to eat was terrifying.

I kept pushing through, as it was my last semester of college, but everything was falling apart. Despite continuing to exercise and eat well, I started putting on loads of weight - a side effect of medication, stress, and insomnia - which was incredibly distressing and discouraging. But I was positive that I could just graduate and start living like a "real adult" everything would be fine. Of course that was just wishful thinking. Two months after graduating and beginning my first "real job" I was fired.

So I had to move back home, humiliated, feeling like a total failure, and hating everything about myself. 

The next two years are...hazy. I spent most of my time in bed feeling completely apathetic. The rest of my time was spent forcing myself to attend therapy and think of reasons why I shouldn't kill myself, because it was incredibly easy to think of reasons why I should. Over the past year I've really started to come back to being myself. Re-entering society, holding down a steady job, and finding joy in doing things again. 

Except exercise. I tried going back to what I was doing when I initially got in shape only to come to a horrible realization: it was tedious and boring. I spent two years wanting to die. Now I want to live. And living should be fun. I don't have time for boring and tedious. My search brought me to Nerd Fitness and I cannot wait to dive in and have some fun with fitness with all my fellow nerds. 

After all, it's dangerous to go alone. 

• Like 3

Welcome!

You've already come a long way.
Have you found some form of exercise that you do enjoy?

• Like 1

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

I really like swimming, but chlorine mildly irritates my skin, so I can only go once a week. I also like strength training as long as I have some good music. Yesterday I tried the Basic Bodyweight Workout. It kicked my butt in a good way, even if I only barely made it through the second set. Tomorrow I'm aiming to make it through at least one exercise in the third set. I also take my dog on walks and wander around playing Pokemon Go - but I admittedly stink at consistency in those activities.