• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

arpeggione

Anyone else kinda burned out?

Hi guys,

today I left the gym before I was even half finished with training because I understood that I had put my body under too much stress the past weeks.

I feel I am getting weaker, not stronger. I have low appetite although being on a hypertrophy plan (used to be constantly hungry), I could sleep all day and have occasional light knee pain (I have never had any problems with my knees before). I am still very motivated mentally and I look forward to every session, but my body says no.

Anyone else ever had that problem? What helped you? How did you manage to relax and not freak out thinking about losing all your gainz?

I will try not to work out at all the next couple of days, eat more, sleep more and focus on something else, like painting, making music and binge watching Netflix.

Anyone who wants to complain about a similar problem, or discuss a solution, I am all ears (eyes).

I've had some really bad days in the gym. But they tend to be mixed in with good days and okay days, I haven't had long streaks where everything was bad. That said, I keep tweaking things when they don't work for me. I've changed up the sets, reps, and types of exercises I do, giving up on anything that repeatedly sucked despite me trying really hard. Like barbell rows – I gave them 6 months and still couldn't get it right. Or moderate rep deadlifts. Anything heavyish over 6 reps makes me feel sick. Or low rep bench press – it's too easy to misjudge how close to failure I am, and the roll of shame gets less and less tolerable the heavier I go. Anyway, I should add that now that I'm focusing on sleep in my current challenge, I really noticed that bad gym days happen after bad sleep. No amount of pep and good mood can compensate for a bad night's rest. You could also post your actual training programme, and some of the more experienced lifters might be able to tell you whether it's too much. Or you could just assume that it is too much given your persistent tiredness, and reduce sets or number of exercises per session. Knee pain is something to discuss with a professional if it gets beyond very mild, I guess. Keep in mind joints and ligaments might not get strong as quickly as muscles. As for the appetite.. it might have levelled off because you're not getting stronger? I found I was hungriest when I was getting strong fastest. My progression has slowed down now, and so has my appetite. Maybe appetite follows strength, just a thought. 

It sounds like you need a deload and some rest. I don't think you'll lose your gains in less than about 2 weeks.

I second this recommendation. Deload. Focus on stability and range of motion exercises and definitely keep moving, just at a lighter level. Get sleep. Eat at a maintenance level. Give it a couple weeks and see how you feel. Heavy training periods have to be cyclical.

In addition to eating enough, make sure you are getting enough sleep. (Basically, what @Harriet just said.)

Also take a look at what else is going on in your life. And give yourself a break. It's okay to not be 100% at your best in the gym if you have a lot of stress at work or in your personal life.