Mint and Dill and Cumin: Tanktimus Fights his Legalism

Matthew 23:23 English Standard Version (ESV)

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.

I have nothing against mint, dill, or cumin, I use all three. I include the above quote because those herbs are, for the purposes of this challenge, a metaphor for something very important in my health and fitness journey. They represent legalism. Combined with my perfectionist tendencies, legalism can play merry hell with my psyche. While I like to think I don't really struggle with religious legalism, I can struggle with fitness legalism. The way I did paleo was in many ways legalistic: I looked down on non-paleo foods and those who ate them, while justifying my own departures from the true path.

The main problem with legalism is that rules become an end unto themselves, rather than a means. With health and fitness, the "rules" are there to help someone become healthy and fit. Someone who has fallen into fitness legalism cares more about the rules than the goal of health. Checking off the boxes becomes an obsession, and we stray from the path. The problem with the pharisees was not that they tithed their herbs, it was that the rules became the de facto object of their worship, rather than the giver of the rules. A brief note on the history of the Ancient Near East, at the point when these accusations were leveled, the Israelites had been back in Palestine for over 500 years, after an exile in Babylon. According to their own scriptures (Which I call the Old Testament, and believe in), they were sent into exile for unfaithfulness to God. One of the most egregious and ubiquitous examples of that unfaithfulness was in worshiping idols dedicated to other Gods. After the exile, the Israelites learned their lesson; in the 2500 years since Judaism has never really struggled with idolatry. The accusation Jesus was making was that at that time, the pharisees (a sect of Jews popular at the time) had made an idol out of legalism. A more nerdy example might be that player who always derails the game with rules lawyering and sucks the fun out of it for everyone else. Indeed, that person seems to get more enjoyment out of arguing over the rules than from actually playing the game. 

One of the things that has held me back was getting too focused on the rules, rather than staying true to the simpler yet more difficult goal of being healthy. Part of why I enjoy intuitive eating so much is that it's a way to get past the legalism of dieting and simply be healthy. Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full. One of the best ways to learn intuitive eating is to do intuitive eating. One of the best ways to learn to be healthy is to try your best to be healthy. And so, instead of goals and checkboxes (something that helped me once upon a time) I have my list of good things.

• Intuitive Eating is good. I will do that.
  • Healthy food is good. I will make healthy food, then brag about it to show off. That second part isn't necessarily healthy, but it is sure fun. Also, you have been warned: Don't read this thread Hungry.
  • Lifting is good. I will do that, probably following the juggernaut program.
  • Walking is good. I will do that.
  • Stretching is good, I will do some yoga.
  • Tai Chi is good, I will play around with it.

And now, here are some gifs:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

hCa4osi.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 24

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 10/10/2018 at 1:39 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Someone who has fallen into fitness legalism cares more about the rules than the goal of health. Checking off the boxes becomes an obsession, and we stray from the path.

I run into this attitude in so many parts of my life and I agree with the problems it causes. I'm currently struggling with my desire to not define my life by the checkboxes and that I actually do require some sort of structure to stay standing. Good luck with your path! 

• Like 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

I really like the attitude shift in this challenge. I'm following but I'm not promising to keep up :), you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 10/10/2018 at 8:39 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Matthew 23:23 English Standard Version (ESV)

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.

I have probably read this verse dozens of times if not more, but it has never stood out to me so when I saw this I had to go check my bible to make sure it said the same thing (it does).

Will be following along again (and taking notes on the second part of Good Thing #2)

• Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I run into this attitude in so many parts of my life and I agree with the problems it causes. I'm currently struggling with my desire to not define my life by the checkboxes and that I actually do require some sort of structure to stay standing. Good luck with your path! 

Thank you, the temptation to legalism is not simply a religious one. It's sometimes easier to go with complex systems that let us check off boxes than with the simpler yet harder truths that actually work.

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

I think i suffer from wanting everything to be perfect and the rules to be so on point, that i lose all perspective and just dont DO IT... ill be checking in and following along :) xx

Thanks, glad to have you.

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I really like the attitude shift in this challenge. I'm following but I'm not promising to keep up :), you know how it goes. 

Same to you. :D 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have probably read this verse dozens of times if not more, but it has never stood out to me so when I saw this I had to go check my bible to make sure it said the same thing (it does).

Will be following along again (and taking notes on the second part of Good Thing #2)

Make sure you eat first before you check in.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following, with no promises to keep up or eat first...... :) 

• Like 2

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

Mister Chaplain Tanktimus sir? I feel the need to inform you that i told my brother about that last gif of yours. He questioned how a skull can play a trumpet since skulls don't have lips. I pointed out that it doesn't have lungs either but, being a flying bone creature, it's probably magic anyway, so of course "it can do what it wants". A few seconds of silence ensued, and then we both of us as one, simultaneously, "IT CAN  D O O T  WHAT IT WANTS"

best wishes for your less rule-y more good-y endeavors!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Matthew 25:34-40

On 10/9/2018 at 8:39 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

THE POWER OF DOOT COMPELS YOU

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

3 hours ago, Rinna said:

Following, with no promises to keep up or eat first...... :) 

You'll be sorry...

3 hours ago, deftona said:

Here! 

Glad to have you!

1 hour ago, Miaulin said:

Mister Chaplain Tanktimus sir? I feel the need to inform you that i told my brother about that last gif of yours. He questioned how a skull can play a trumpet since skulls don't have lips. I pointed out that it doesn't have lungs either but, being a flying bone creature, it's probably magic anyway, so of course "it can do what it wants". A few seconds of silence ensued, and then we both of us as one, simultaneously, "IT CAN  D O O T  WHAT IT WANTS"

best wishes for your less rule-y more good-y endeavors!

Thank you, and DOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! It most certainly can doot what it wants

2T7RHof.gif

1 hour ago, shaar said:

giphy.gif

THE POWER OF DOOT COMPELS YOU

I thought of you when posting that gif.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I'm with white Ghost, I think I just sort of read over that verse. I loved your explanation of legalist and diet legalism. It's great ad inspiring watching you as you develop a better attitude towards food. And , as I've said before, when I need new recipe ideas, I come here.:friendly_wink:

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

This is great.  As always.   And I follow for wisdom, inspiration and to encourage my ranger brother!

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Following! (And I feel you. It takes some time to get over "The Rules".)

So:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I'm with white Ghost, I think I just sort of read over that verse. I loved your explanation of legalist and diet legalism. It's great ad inspiring watching you as you develop a better attitude towards food. And , as I've said before, when I need new recipe ideas, I come here.:friendly_wink:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

This is great.  As always.   And I follow for wisdom, inspiration and to encourage my ranger brother!

Glad to have you, I need that encouragement.

1 hour ago, Arkania said:

Following! (And I feel you. It takes some time to get over "The Rules".)

Glad to have you!

Today is a good day. I didn't work out, but I did do laundry. Fall is finally here! After a high of 89 yesterday, a cold front blew in, it's currently 48 and going to get colder I think the high was at midnight. I got to wear a scarf, trenchcoat and hat into work this afternoon. Current predictions are that the warmest it's going to get is 69, and that's at 3pm on Friday. It will probably get "warmer than fall should be" again at some point before winter, but I'm enjoying this.

I made lunch.

I roasted a pork tenderloin at 350 degrees for 32 minutes. Now you know me well enough to know by now I didn't just throw it in the oven. I coated it with Himalayan pink salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, ginger powder, lemon juice, and soy sauce. I sliced it and served it over the following.

I boiled some spaghetti noodles and drained them. In the same pot I sauteed a mix of 3 different kinds of cabbage (napa, regular and bok choy) with a hoisin sauce that was in the pan. I put the noodles in that and added more hoisin sauce, then topped it with the tenderloin. It was incredible.

• Like 6

Current Challenge

I also often struggle with failing to see the wood for the trees.  Good challenge mate!

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

1 hour ago, EricMN said:

I always fail this part.

It's not for lack of warning.

1 hour ago, Big_Show said:

I also often struggle with failing to see the wood for the trees.  Good challenge mate!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

You can doot do it! Thumbs-Up.png

giphy.gif

I'm...pretty sure they left some steps out. Did you know that song started as a religious song?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dem_Bones

• Like 1

Current Challenge

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm...pretty sure they left some steps out.

Actually, in the game (Monkey Island 2) it's a massive hint for a puzzle that comes later on, so the steps they left out are intentional. :P 

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Did you know that song started as a religious song?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dem_Bones

Actually, I did. But that's solely because of Monkey Island 2. :D

• Like 2

Active challenges: Improve Ankle Mobility | Walk to Mordor and Back Again | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP

2021 threads: Respawn | Challenge V | VI

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Scripture thread title reference level - Tank :D Excited to see all the good you get up to.

Thanks, glad to have you along for the ride.

6 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

As someone who loves a loophole to rules lawyer through, I’m having a hard time understanding this challenge. Perhaps I’ll learn something here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think of it this way, if the only rules are Love God and Love your neighbor, why do you need a loophole?

Another, perhaps more helpful way to consider it, is looking for a loophole for the fun of finding it is one thing. The Rules Lawyer (legalist) prefers the argument for it's own sake and would rather keep the argument going than move the game along.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Adding to the dootiness:

57fae3fd2fe32.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

commencing lurk mode.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi