Wolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the Resistance

WolfDreamer

I'm trying something different this time and having some fun with a themed challenge. I'm really excited about finally rolling this one out. Before we begin, though, a few things to get out of the way. You can skip straight to the challenge if you'd like:

Spoiler
  • I'm continuing with my running habits, but I have dialed it down a bit for a few reasons: things at home have gotten a little more stressful, and I'm developing pain in my upper thighs that hurts worse when I run.
  • I started a physical challenge (my idea) for the Wolf and Iron Facebook group that I call 100for100. It is at least 100 reps of any bodyweight exercises for 100 days. Challengers can do the same movement (such as 100 push-ups) or mix it up, as long at the total number of reps equals 100. This will be incorporated into this challenge even if not explicitly stated.
  • I live a busy life with three kids at home, a career as a teacher, and a part-time job, so most of my participation in this challenge will depend on if any of that interferes. You'll just have to be patient and gracious with me if I drop off in posts and my goals end up not being "daily" as intended.
  • Nutrition and water intake is not explicitly mentioned in this challenge but should be implied.

Without further ado, let's begin:

While conducting research in the university library, Wolfen uncovered a letter, yellowed with age but pressed and preserved in the pages of Man Makes Himself by Gordon Childe. Wolfen's eyes widened as he read the header at the top:

Dr. Henry Walton Jones, Jr.

Barnette College

Hamilton Hall

Grove Avenue

Fairfield, NY

The letter was dated May 13, 1960

Surely this was a joke, or some fake letter forged by a creative university student. Regardless, Wolfen read on.

To Whom it May Concern:

If you're discovering this letter in the pages of the book in which I left it, your curiosities might be exactly what I need. With the help of some colleagues who will remain anonymous for reasons you may come to learn later, I have uncovered a secret war going on in our world of which only a few are aware. A group of scientists has discovered the existence of exotic matter (henceforth abbreviated XM). XM is a very powerful energy whose origin and potential are still in question, but it is believed it has existed for centuries. There are stories of Roman soothsayers who encouraged the construction of important buildings upon sites they claimed were "charmed" with mysterious energy. Indeed, mysterious and "magical" portals that channel XM from an unknown location have been discovered near iconic and influential locations whose history and origins are also shrouded in mystery, the types of places my colleagues and I frequent as researchers (temples, monuments, places of worship, etc.). Scientists are allegedly researching ways to capture and harness the energy of these portals.

Unfortunately, because of an accident in which members of the research team were exposed to XM, the secret of XM has not remained a secret. I'm not certain how, but word of this mysterious and potentially dangerous powerful energy has reached people with greater influence than you or me, people whose names you would probably recognize but which I will not reprint here for security reasons.

You may be wondering what this has to do with you. Because you are even aware of the existence of this book, it is clear you are an intelligent and open-minded person.

Wolfen tightened his lips. He had just pulled the book of the shelf because the title caught his attention. He read on:

In the time since word has spread of XM, two groups have formed with the goal of capturing and harnessing this energy. The first faction, known as The Enlightened, is an elite group of very powerful people who believe XM is the secret to the evolution and progress of mankind. The Enlightened wish to take control of XM and harness its powers to take humankind to the next level (whatever that means). The details of how and what that would entail are still shady, which is why it is so concerning. In addition, several known members of The Enlightened have a reputation for taking and abusing power and their intent may be the same for XM.

The second faction is The Resistance. Their intent is to capture XM in order to keep it out of the hands of The Enlightened because they fear the power of XM would be used to manipulate and control all of humanity. Like many "resistance" movements, however, this faction doesn't seem to have as much influence as The Enlightened (both financially and culturally) but this may change over time. In addition, Resistance members tend to be wreckless in their endeavor to keep XM out of the hands of The Enlightened.

As an archaeologist, I can attest to the presence of "energies" at many of the sites I have visited. This is why I have fought to obtain and protect treasures that are located at these sites. Unfortunately, at my age I may not be able to protect these sites much longer, unless I can recruit some new explorers willing to research portal locations in their area and travel to these "portals". I won't tell you which faction you should join (but anyone who knows my reputation could probably guess which I prefer) because you have a will of your own, and I don't have the resources to force you to choose. In fact, you might not have even finished this letter.

If you're still reading, though, I am grateful. I encourage you to do a few things before you begin:

1. Do some research: read up on everything you can about "Ingress," including the two factions I mentioned; there may be information about possible portals in your area.
  2. If you uncover the location of nearby portals, research these sites, as well and visit them.
  3. My hope is that by the time you find this letter, researchers have come up with a way to extract and store the XM quickly and efficiently. Research this, as well.
  4. You guessed it: I need you to explore these sites and extract as much XM as you can. But be cautious and aware of your surroundings. This could be dangerous since there are others who also want XM for their own purposes.
  5. See if you can ascertain why or how the places you visit are capable of drawing XM; is there some history behind the place or object that makes it "worthy" of such energy?

I don't know what kind of shape you are in at the moment, but true explorers need to be fit for a lot of physically demanding activities: hiking, climbing, crawling, fighting, running, and lots of walking. So much walking. And you need to have a keen eye to both find what you're looking for and to make sure you aren't being followed. I will let you "work out" the details based on your own physical needs.

If you're still with me, I know you are exactly what I need. Don't write back because I would rather not know who you are.

Good Luck,

Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr.

Wolfen immediately left the campus library and straight to a private place on campus to start his research. A search for "Ingress" uncovered an app designed by Niantic Labs, a "game" in which "players" join a faction, seek and capture portals and extract XM. It couldn't be a coincidence that this app seemed to match nearly everything the letter described. More research uncovered information about XM, the Niantic project, each faction, and much more. Wolfen also discovered that there were several portals nearby, some glowing white, some blue, and some green and fields of bright "energy" of either blue or green passing between portals.

He couldn't resist. Wolfen downloaded the app to his phone. Based on what his heart and head were saying, he joined The Resistance. His adventure was just beginning.

Goals:

CornyTangibleBeauceron-size_restricted.g 

Explore: walk at least 12,000 steps/day M-F.

UnhappyVigorousArmednylonshrimp-size_res 

Get Fit:

• continue the #100for100 challenge: at least 100 bodyweight movements per day
  • 3 sets 3 days/week that includes the following:
    • Avoid traps: 15 hi-steps
    • Sword-fight: 15 side-to-side arm swings
    • Duck-and-dive: 5 burpees
    • Fist-fight: vary jabs, punches, hooks, and uppercuts (Boxtastic app?)
    • Explore caves: low crawl for 10 "steps".
    • Climb cliffs: 5 pullups
    • Run: continue running schedule, but include 3x100 yard sprints at least 2 days/week

MatureHairyFairybluebird-size_restricted 

Research:

• continue research for school (first priority)
  • look up information on various portal locations before exploring them.
  • The purpose of this challenge is to become more connected to "place" using an app that both encourages you to walk and explore more and calls your attention to places you might otherwise have just passed by or glanced at without thinking. Therefore, when you visit these "portals" really look at them, study them, all while being mindful of what you learned from your research.
  • Document these findings.
  • Read at least one article/week from National Geographic or similar publication
  • Read at least one book-length work of history/archeology/anthropology (i.e. something Indiana Jones might read). Historical fiction is acceptable, as long as it is rooted in truth.

• Like 8

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

27 minutes ago, Arkania said:

Now I am watching Indi :D

Thank you!

You're welcome! :)

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

• WolfDreamer changed the title to Wolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the Resistance

I loved the idea of Ingress, but didn't much like walking around staring at my phone all the time. (I know it's what people do these days, but I can't tell you how many people I see walk into the light post outside our house each week. It's comedic.) It is a neat way of finding little landmarks in your area, though. Looking forward to following your challenge as usual ^_^ 

• Like 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

2 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I loved the idea of Ingress, but didn't much like walking around staring at my phone all the time. (I know it's what people do these days, but I can't tell you how many people I see walk into the light post outside our house each week. It's comedic.) It is a neat way of finding little landmarks in your area, though. Looking forward to following your challenge as usual ^_^ 

Yeah, I totally get this, but that's not how I play. I've already scoped out the places before I visit and know their location, so it's not necessary for me to look at my phone while I walk to the portals. I'll walk to the place, take a good look, study it, then open the app and voila! Portal captured (or hacked, depending).

8 minutes ago, annyshay said:

giphy.gif

As always, great to have you. 

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Tentative book list (may grow as I go):

The Bridge of San Luis Rey -- Thornton Wilder

The Name of the Rose -- Umberto Eco

The Shadow of the Wind -- Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Gates of Fire -- Steven Pressfield

S. -- J.J. Abrams & Doug Dorst

Call it Courage -- Armstrong Sperry

The Head of the Saint -- Socorro Acioli

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Wolfen said:

The Shadow of the Wind -- Carlos Ruiz Zafon 

Big love! :wub:

8 hours ago, Wolfen said:

S. -- J.J. Abrams & Doug Dorst

On my list, too.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Arkania said:

Big love! :wub:

Yeah, I've heard great things, so it's next on my list. Reading Bridge of San Luis Rey right now.

10 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Usually I skip over the role-playing sections of peoples challenges but this one really captured me! Best of luck with your challenge - I love how you've integrated the app to your story.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I'm kind of proud of it. I'm glad it captured you. Hope you stop in to see how it goes.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

If anyone would like to follow me on Goodreads, my profile link is here.

Meanwhile, I found this Reddit thread titled "What would Indiana Jones have read?" After seeing this, I'm adding a goal to my challenge:

• read at least one scholarly article about archaeology/history/anthropology per week

Already visited some important locations as part of my adventure. I'll update you later today.

Until then, enjoy a good laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 0 Day 1 & 2 Update:

the-f-ble-indiana-jones-actually-changed

• walk at least 12,000 steps (M-F): 2/2
  • continue the #100for100 challenge: at least 100 bodyweight movements per day: 2/2 (I'm actually 9 days into the challenge, so I guess it's 9/100)
  • specialized workout for challenge starts tomorrow
  • continue research for school (first priority): studying or the end of the month MAT exam
  • listened to a podcast episode of the TED Radio Hour titled "Hidden," which discussed hidden things such as bacteria, parasites, and archaeological sites.
  • downloaded and started listening to The Lost City of the Monkey God, which is very much a recent true story that mirrors many of Indy's great adventures: the search for an undiscovered lost city somewhere deep in the jungles of Honduras. The searchers face deadly snakes, disease-carrying insects, quick-mud, jaguars, dense jungle, and a potentially dangerous indigenous population as well as a local drug cartel.

snakes-snakes-1.gif

• look up information on various portal locations before exploring them: 1) My first portal location was the clock tower on the WVSU campus. According to university archives, the clock tower was a gift from the university alumni in honor of the school's centennial celebration in 1991. The design was for a clocker tower that was 34 feet tall and 54 feet wide with four clocks and an automatic set of bells (called a carillon). The frame of the clock is made of steel and is reinforced with concrete block with a 2-4 inch marble veneer. Two memorial walls extend from the base of the clock with plaques commemorating past university presidents, as well as donors and the names of former university students who died while serving their country. This is a prime location for a portal because the clock tower has become the "icon" of the university, both on a literal and spiritual level. In addition to playing the Westminster chimes common to a lot of clock towers, as well as the number for each our (i.e. five gongs for 5:00) the clock also plays the school's Alma Mater and can be heard all across campus. 2) My second portal location was a sculpture called "La Vista" (or "The Vision") that was designed and created by a man named Cubert Smith (recently deceased). (Personal note: Cubert was the father of the woman who introduced my wife and I to each other). The sculpture was designed to commemorate the 30th anniversary of integration at the university (which before 1956 was an all-black college). The historical context of the sculpture speaks for its significance as a portal.
  • currently reading The Bridge of San Luis Rey. The writing is compelling, and the story is so far intriguing. Based on what I have researched, this should be a good one.

indiana-jones-gif.gif?w=640

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Is it this one?
(OMG I loooove Douglas Preston! And Licoln Child! *buys the book* :D )

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

200.gif

Haha! If you only knew how accurate this was.

Thank you for following. Always great to have you along for the journey.

TanNauticalAyeaye-size_restricted.gif 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

FYI:

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Haha! If you only knew how accurate this was.

This is how I make up most of my challenges and days...

7 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Thank you for following. Always great to have you along for the journey.

TanNauticalAyeaye-size_restricted.gif 

Happy to follow even if I don't have anything useful to say. I really do love reading your challenges because sometimes I wish I could do HALF the stuff you do. Maybe one day.

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

4 hours ago, Deuce said:

This is really cool.  I'd never heard of Ingress!  How dedicated do you have to be to play?  Can you be a casual player or does it require a lot of commitment?

It depends. You can play casually, but it takes a while to level up that way, and the higher your level the more you can do in the game. I'm just slightly above a casual player. There are obsessed players who approach the whole thing as if it's real. It's fascinating, but I'm too busy for that.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Loving the theme! Following for general awesomeness and to see where your adventures take you :)

• Like 2

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

13 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Loving the theme! Following for general awesomeness and to see where your adventures take you :)

Thank you! And it's always awesome to have you along.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week One Update (M-F):

Apologies, gang. I'm battling a sinus infection, and life's responsibilities are really catching up to me. But here goes:

• Walk at least 12,000 steps/day (M-F): 5/5
  • continue #100for100: 5/5
  • workout interval routine 3 days/week: 3/3
  • running: 3/5
  • schoolwork: worked through three literacy assessments with a student for research, completed a chapter discussion on using resources for Internet inquiry and tweaked a Weebly for a final project.
  • portal research: findings to be posted soon
  • Hoopla crapped out on me, so I haven't been able to listen to Lost City of the Monkey God. However, I am determined to finish The Bridge of San Luis Rey this week (it's a short book, so no excuses). I also picked up a copy of The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard, and I'm pretty excited about it.
  • Read an article on National Geographic about the "lost city" of Tanis (a fictional version was featured in Raiders of the Lost Ark).
  • Saturday morning I ran 5k on trails while listening to this really awesome playlist:
  • Saturday all of our daughters were spending the afternoon and night with someone: my youngest stayed on the university campus with my oldest, Bianca stayed with a friend, and Gracelynn stayed with my mother. So my wife and I had a relaxing afternoon, evening, and night together. We originally had plans to go see A Star is Born, but my wife said, "You know, we're always going, going, going. Why don't we just stay in?" So other than going out for dinner at our favorite Asian place (where I had a sashimi variety platter), we just lay around the house and enjoyed spending time together in the peace and quiet.
  • Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

This is awesome and I’m sorry I’ve been missing it. 

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

16 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

This is awesome and I’m sorry I’ve been missing it. 

It's all good, brother. You're here now, and that's what matters. Thank you.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I took the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) today. If you're not familiar with it, it is one of two test options for being accepted into a Master's degree program. The other is the Graduate Records Examination (GRE).

According to test-prep site Magoosh, "the MAT is an IQ test. IQ tests are not purely tests of knowledge. Instead, they try to use different types of knowledge (verbal, mathematical, spatial, etc.) to measure your brain’s ability to make connections. An IQ test is designed so that nearly the whole population scores around the average, even if they study. Moreover, your IQ is pretty stable throughout your adult life. Though you learn more as you get older, your IQ stays about the same." Magoosh also says that the average MAT score is 400 and that scoring just 25 points above the average is rare.

On their site, Magoosh provides a chart of test score percentiles:

• 400-404 = 50th percentile
  • 405-409 = 60th percentile
  • 410-415 = 70th percentile
  • 416-420 = 80th percentile
  • 421-425 = 90th percentile
  • 430-440 = 95th percentile
  • 450-600 = 99th percentile

The required score for entry into the Educational Leadership Studies program (to which I am applying) is 392.

I scored a 422. :)

• Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler