Maigs Continues with the Baby Steps

Maigs

This challenge is probably going to be pretty boring in terms of my goals but exciting in that I'll be starting my new job Wednesday. I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing, tweaking things as I feel necessary, and hopefully actually turning these baby steps into full blows habits that I just do instead of arguing with myself about. Wednesday I start a new job with a CPA firm which is very exciting for me since I will finally be getting the experience I need for my CPA license, but also scary since change is always scary. I'm jumping in at the start of this firm's busy season that doesn't end until mid-April so I have no idea what the effect will be on my spoon supply, but I expect I'll be glad for the baby steps. My last job was mentally rough on me for the last year or so, which is probably why I've been stalled out on my health and fitness goals. Hopefully this new job will be as good as I'm hoping and I can get re-energized

Eat like a reasonable human being (2000cals)

This is exactly what it sounds like. Eat a reasonable amount of reasonably healthy foods. Right now I'm aiming for the standard 2k calories a day. That is just below my calculated TDEE when I put myself as "lightly active" so it should be a small deficit with my planned exercises. Grading is based both on quantity and quality of what I eat

Stretch Daily 

I'm extremely inflexible and my right hip especially has been tight enough to bother me. I want to do my best to stay injury free so I need to keep myself loose.

Quit being over-caffeinated

This has gone amazingly well. I have cut down from 4, sometimes 5, caffeinated drinks a day to 1. Since I started the slow cut (one less a day each month) I have only gone over my goal once and that was done intentionally, with thought, and with no regrets. For now I'm just wanting to stay at one, I may try to cut that out by the end of the challenge, but I'll see how I"m feeling with the new job before deciding anything

Running/BBWW

Running - I've been working on not hating running and being much smarter about it this time around than I have in the past. Relatively short runs with no specific plan on pushing for improvement, just getting out there. The goal is three runs a week:

Intervals - 2 minutes running, 3 minutes walking x 3. Currently doing this around a 9:30-10 minute/mile pace but as I get better that naturally has been going down

Temp run - 5 minutes running, 5 minutes walking x 2. Currently at about 11:30-12 minute/mile pace with the same comment as intervals

Long run - 10 minute run at what ever slow ass speed I need to go to run the entire thing. Currently at about 12:30 minute/mile pace

BBWW - I added in some strength work as well. A relatively easy and short workout I can do in my living room just to get me in the habit. I modified Steve's BBWW (details in the spoiler below). I was doing it 3x/week but with the new job and with running being my main focus I'm changing my goal to twice a week. Like my running goal, I have no specific plan on pushing for improvement, just want to get it done

Spoiler

Squats x 10

Pushups x 5

Lunges x 5 each leg

DB Rows x 5 each arm (currently using a 10lbs weight)

Plank 20 seconds

RDLs x 5 - currently using a pair of 15lbs dumbbells. Will probably either change these to single leg RDLs or cut them out. TBD

Burpees x 5 - currently doing a version without the pushup or jump at the end. Burpees suck and I'm easing into them

So that's it. Basically exactly like my last challenge with was very similar to the challenge before that. If I keep on keeping on I'll eventually get there, right?

• Like 8

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

13 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

So that's it. Basically exactly like my last challenge with was very similar to the challenge before that. If I keep on keeping on I'll eventually get there, right?

Right! Cheering you on this challenge, and looking forward to hearing about the new job.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

3 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I'll eventually get there, right?

Yes!  You will!  :-D

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

3 hours ago, Maigahane said:

but also scary since change is always scary.

But a change is as good as a rest! You'll be awesome. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I haven't followed a Maigs challenge in a while. Now I will.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

20 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Right! Cheering you on this challenge, and looking forward to hearing about the new job.

17 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Yes!  You will!  :-D

17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

But a change is as good as a rest! You'll be awesome. 

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I haven't followed a Maigs challenge in a while. Now I will.

Welcome all! Hopefully I don't disappoint (you or myself). Like I said, change is scary, but this should be a change for the good. I'm really hoping the new job is energizing and helps kick my butt into gear. I'm tired of my challenges (and just me in general) being whining about being frustrated and stuck instead of making real progress

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maigahane said:

Welcome all! Hopefully I don't disappoint (you or myself). Like I said, change is scary, but this should be a change for the good. I'm really hoping the new job is energizing and helps kick my butt into gear. I'm tired of my challenges (and just me in general) being whining about being frustrated and stuck instead of making real progress

I for one am just going to miss the random ranting about Kevin :( (just kidding. I really think you needed to make this change!) 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I'm proud of you for taking on change! It'll only be scary for a little bit, and then it will be awesome, because you are (hopefully!) working with competent peoples.

Following along for incremental change. It's the best -most sustainable- kind.

• Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

So, let's get this party started

Monday

Well....except for the food it was a good day. I had too many treats, which on their own wouldn't have been so bad, but all together were too much. I got out for a run, did some domestic rangering, and took advantage of my second to last day of unemployment and relaxed. Oh, and I went grocery shopping and realized later that I did a horrible job of planning for the week.

Tonight was going to be a crockpot meal that only needs 3 hours so not an all day while at work thing, but I forgot that tonight we're meeting with Hub's cousins again. So it will have to wait until the weekend and I just have to hope my avocado lasts that long. And tomorrow we're having friends over at 6 but I probably won't be home until after 5 so I won't have time to make (and teach Hubs to make) chili like I'd planned so he's going to make pasta instead.

Had my normal breakfast. Then finished off the LAST of the cookie dough balls (2). Then had leftover mexican casserole for lunch. Then ate a huge scone I bought while grocery shopping. Dinner was leftover lasagna we got sent home with Saturday and a fudgcicle for desert. I have no idea how many calories were in the scone or lasagna but I would guess I ran closer to 2500 calories than 2000. If I had stuck to one of the treats it would have been an A, but with all three I'm calling it a C

Calories: Unknown.

Grade: C

Stretch Daily 

Done

Stuck to one caffeine again

Running/BBWW

Got out for my intervals run. According to my TomTom my paces were 9:53, 9:41, and 10:08. Not shabby though the last run is definitely my hardest and I struggle to keep my breathing under control much more than the first two

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I for one am just going to miss the random ranting about Kevin :( (just kidding. I really think you needed to make this change!) 

Lol. With changes Boss had made at the end I probably wouldn't have had many dealings with Kevin even if I'd stayed but still, I'm certainly glad to definitely not have to deal with him going forward. And it's petty, but I will laugh my ass off if Trevor leaves in a few months leaving Boss with just Kevin.

7 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

I'm proud of you for taking on change! It'll only be scary for a little bit, and then it will be awesome, because you are (hopefully!) working with competent peoples.

Following along for incremental change. It's the best -most sustainable- kind.

Thanks! I think too many people let fear of scary things hold them back. Yeah, it's scary, but this should be a very good change. And I really think I'll like my new boss which is huge

• Like 2

Following as best as I can. Life has become quite busy, but I'll be here as much as possible cheering you on!

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

Good days are good!  Food will be better tomorrow!

• Like 1

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

4 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Lol. With changes Boss had made at the end I probably wouldn't have had many dealings with Kevin even if I'd stayed but still, I'm certainly glad to definitely not have to deal with him going forward. And it's petty, but I will laugh my ass off if Trevor leaves in a few months leaving Boss with just Kevin.

I haven't followed one of your threads for some time but I instantly remembered about Kevin upon reading this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Congrats on the new job! I like your plan of making small changes  while you adjust to big changes in work

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Following!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

On 10/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I haven't followed one of your threads for some time but I instantly remembered about Kevin upon reading this.

Lol. I feel kinda bad I complained about him enough to make him internet famous. If only he weren't so....incompetent

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on the new job! I like your plan of making small changes  while you adjust to big changes in work

Thanks! The new job is definitely going to be an adjustment

8 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following!

CQ is back!!

On 10/16/2018 at 10:52 AM, Cheetah said:

Good days are good!  Food will be better tomorrow!

Hahahaha! No it wasn't. I'm going to claim an actual zero week that we're apparently going to act like I don't have food goals

On 10/16/2018 at 10:37 AM, RhiaWolfe said:

Following as best as I can. Life has become quite busy, but I'll be here as much as possible cheering you on!

I'm not sure how well I'll keep up on this challenge. The new job is going to keep me quite busy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Hahahaha!

Tomorrow will be better-ish!  :-D

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

Quick update before game night starts

Tuesday

So definitely not a great food day. I spent the day cleaning and prepping for the new job. I ate too many cheezits again, ate an entire frozen pizza (not huge, but more than a lunch needs to be). Then we met up with Hub's cousins again and got fed taco salad and cookies. I ate way too many cookies of course. I actually felt almost sick to my stomach on the drive home

Had my normal breakfast, lots of cheezits, frozen pizza, two reasonably sized servings of taco salad, and like 5 ooey, gooey, fresh from the oven cookies.

Calories: Unknown.

Grade: D

Stretch Daily 

Done. Hip is feeling basically back to normal

Stuck to one caffeine again

Running/BBWW

Did BBBWW. Attempted single leg RDL's and proved that I have no balance. I did them unweighted and used an end table for balance

• Like 4

Just now, Maigahane said:

I will do my best

That sounds perfect!  Making an effort makes it a win. 

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

and like 5 ooey, gooey, fresh from the oven cookies

Cookies don't have any calories until they cool from the oven.

True Story.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2018 at 9:35 AM, jonfirestar said:

Me too...on missing Kevin and needing to make the change!

On 10/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yup

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Lol. I feel kinda bad I complained about him enough to make him internet famous. If only he weren't so....incompetent

Was just thinking that maybe the reason I like hearing about Kevin so much is that he makes me feel like I really have my shit together by comparison. And I don't even know Kevin.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

32 minutes ago, Xena said:

Was just thinking that maybe the reason I like hearing about Kevin so much is that he makes me feel like I really have my shit together by comparison. And I don't even know Kevin.

I kinda worry I overestimate my shit-together-ness because I've been comparing it to Kevin and (to a point) ex-Boss

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Attempted single leg RDL's and proved that I have no balance.

I have to do these for my PT and I'm soooo bad at them. But after doing them consistently, my balance is getting better and I can get now get through at least one set of 12 without doing an impression of a Weeble. Make sure your gaze is focused on something in front of you and that helps keep your balance. Try to keep your core engaged too. You'll find you need to reset your balance less the more you do them. 

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"