• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GodzillaKong

GK refines himself (oh FFS)

284bd97de9ae5f81b5c5cbffc31f3de5.gif

The last couple of challenges I've made great strides. My weight has dropped 7.9kg since the end of July (my target for this challenge is to make that at least 10kg lost, so a target of 114.6kg), I'm working out regularly, eating well and avoiding food temptation far more often than I used to. The path I'm on is a good one and will get me to where I want soon enough. But for all the things I'm doing, I can get better and this challenge is about doing just that. For this I'll be using the world famous system I just invented, FFS. And, as we all know, FFS stands for Food, Form and Sleep. Of course.

1) Food.

9WVx.gif

Fibre - average 15+g a day: it's so easy to go over my RDI of sugar or salt; an orange juice here, a cheeky salty snack here. But fibre. Man, fibre. I am almost always consistently down on how much I should be having, sometimes by as much as half. I average around 10g. I should be somewhere around 30g a day. That's a big old jump, but 15g seems manageable. This means more black beans, kidney beans, brocolli and the like. It also means making a few changes to;
Breakfast - a few challenges back, around the turn of the year, I made it my goal to fix breakfast. And it's a whole lot better than it was. But it can be better. So swap out my protein granola for Alpen or Bran Flakes (helping out with the fibre) on some days, maybe scrambled eggs on toast, or some cottage cheese. Nothing too exciting. But better.

2) Form

tumblr_mdefw3K2qk1qavcvto2_400.gif

On the whole, my form is ok but - yes, you've guessed it - it could be better, especially towards the end of my sets. Big problem tends to be with Burpees, but occasionally deadlifts and squats. My left elbow tends to flare a bit when i curl or bench. I will concentrate on stopping this and making sure my form is more refined.

3) Sleep 

yaa96DG.gif?noredirect

To be in bed with all devices off by 11.

I just do not get enough sleep. I'm usually in bed ok on a weeknight, but distractions can keep me awake beyond 11 or 12 sometimes.

giphy-downsized-8.gif

No, not those sorts of bed time distractions, behave yourselves!

ea482f4eb1dfb889da3af8769de052e3.gif

You know well enough I mean phones and tablets and TV. Stop laughing at the back there!

Beyond that, the usual goals apply; gym 3 times a week, no fizzy pop or chocolates or takeaways etc etc. Oh, and obviously, this will be a Frasier theme. For who else could be more refined?

• Like 5

22 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

No, not those sorts of bed time distractions, behave yourselves!

ea482f4eb1dfb889da3af8769de052e3.gif

You know well enough I mean phones and tablets and TV. Stop laughing at the back there!

Frasier Niles GIF - Frasier Niles Celebration GIFs

• Haha 2

Zero week has not been a good one. Tuesday I felt slightly sick at work. By the time I got home that evening I could barely move I had so little energy. All the blankets and hot water bottles in the world couldn't keep me warm that night. Yesterday I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a freight train and I'm only just starting to feel better now.

fd-s01e23-00.png

I too, know how easy it is to stay up later due to internetty distractions. Last challenge I just set an alarm on my phone which goes off in time for me to get to bed by 11pm. It takes a bit of discipline dragging myself away from a show or thing, especially if I don't feel super tired, but it's been worth it. I wish you deep and restorative sleeps for your challenge. 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bc8e9e54b7566766f 

I am mostly recovered from whatever ailed me last week, but not entirely. Definitely felt that "not totally healthy fatigue" at the gym last night, so tailored my workout accordingly.

Otherwise, it was good to be back in the gym again. Fewer reps/sets meant I could concentrate on my form a little bit more. Just the 2 gym visits for me this week, don't want to push myself too far too soon (finally learning that lesson).

RIBDATE! (For those who still care): My ribs not bothering me as much and most of the time I forget about it completely. Relieved that this didn't turn out to be something more serious. I won't say anything like "hopefully this will be the last Ribdate" because you just know within hours of me saying so I'll find away to fracture them by doing something silly like taking off my coat too vigorously.

I hit 22g of fibre yesterday which is good. Got to bed with everything off by 11 so a good start to the challenge (even though an early start today means I still feel knackered).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

I'll find away to fracture them by doing something silly like taking off my coat too vigorously.

Vigorous de-coating is the height of folly, as you well know. We implore you to shed your outerwear with care and delicacy. Also serious is the danger of cramps from squeezing the shoulders together to try take off a jacket at a nice restaurant where the staff take your coats. One doesn't want to flail the arms and elbows about in the usual inelegant manner and accidentally smack the helpful coat-taker–who is waiting helpfully right behind one where one's elbows would need to move in order to comfortably remove the coat–in the face. But attempting to remove the jacket with minimal movement can lead to unnatural contortions, and, in the inflexible, muscle cramps. I can't be the only person who's done this... right?

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Harriet said:

But attempting to remove the jacket with minimal movement can lead to unnatural contortions, and, in the inflexible, muscle cramps. I can't be the only person who's done this... right?

You are not, don't worry about that! Although I find that putting on jackets can also lead to cramp and general awkwardness, especially if like me you are doing so on a cramped, overheating train. And you actually have to put on a jumper AND a coat because outside the train is bloody freezing and you don't want to invade anyone elses personal space so you kind of just straighten your arms as much as possible without using up any space and you end up looking like you're doing the macarena in a straight jacket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Vigorous de-coating is the height of folly, as you well know. We implore you to shed your outerwear with care and delicacy. Also serious is the danger of cramps from squeezing the shoulders together to try take off a jacket at a nice restaurant where the staff take your coats. One doesn't want to flail the arms and elbows about in the usual inelegant manner and accidentally smack the helpful coat-taker–who is waiting helpfully right behind one where one's elbows would need to move in order to comfortably remove the coat–in the face. But attempting to remove the jacket with minimal movement can lead to unnatural contortions, and, in the inflexible, muscle cramps. I can't be the only person who's done this... right?

That sounds like the helpful coat-taker didn't know what they were doing, to be honest. You shouldn't need to do anything more than push your shoulders back and drop yours arms. At the most, take a step forward while your arms drape back and trails forward behind you.

Incompetent coat-takers will be the end of us all.

• Haha 1

Down to 115.5kg this week. Happy with that, although I think it's a bit anomalous (but weighed myself twice sonots accurate), so not expecting great loss next week. Or maybe it's just my mind monster sewing doubt. Or is it? Have to stop questioning my successes and remember

5eGZQAU.gif

Another light day at the gym yesterday. As with previous day's, feeling better but still feeling a little run down. Monday I think I'll get back into it properly, barring any setbacks. What I did do was concentrate on form (keep that left elbow tucked in!).

All devices off or put aside just after 11. It's weird wanting to check something on your phone and not being able to. But it's good. There's nothing so important it can't wait.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, GodzillaKong said:

You are not, don't worry about that! 

Thank goodness. I haven't witnessed anyone else experiencing this self-inflicted pain and embarrassment. Actually, worst scenario is when there's a handbag or backpack involved. Lucky I'm not in the assassins, I can injure myself just removing my headphones.  Never mind parkour. 

On 10/23/2018 at 11:47 AM, scalyfreak said:

You shouldn't need to do anything more than push your shoulders back and drop yours arms. At the most, take a step forward while your arms drape back and trails forward behind you.

Thank you. I hate to admit this, but these specific instructions are very helpful. It might not have been the coat-taker's fault, it's just that my negligent parents never taught me the art of elegant, hands-free coat removal. 

10 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

I think it's a bit anomalous (but weighed myself twice sonots accurate), so not expecting great loss next week. Or maybe it's just my mind monster sewing doubt. Or is it?

This is the reason I'm not getting on the deadly pressure plate this challenge.

giphy.gif

It makes me a bit crazy, especially since I swing between wanting to lose weight (I am unnecessarily fat) and gain it (I am frustratingly weak and skinny). But congrats on your ongoing progress (with its inevitable variations and all).

No change in weight this week, holding steady at 115.5kg. and after that weekend I will take that as a win because honestly I was expecting the scale to go up.

Switched my cereal to Weetabix. It's keeping me full for longer and helps me with my fibre goals, which are going well. Averaging 22g this week which is well above my target. Still want to do something else with breakfast, but need to figure out what will fit best.

Been sleeping well too. Most nights have everything off by 11pm, or not long after.

Changing things up a little next week. My gym sessions have been a bit of everything; squats, deadlift, rows, bench, etc all on the same day. But I've 'negotiated' an extra schedulee day at the gym so I'll be dedicating 2 days a week to lower body and 2 days to upper body. Hopefully this will mean that I can concentrate more on form instead of rushing a little bit.

Oh yeah, need GIFs. Erm, can't find any decent Frasier breakfast themed ones so here, have some random ones of Roz. Roz is the best (and I'm still totally crushing on her, after all these years but whatever);

0z1XE6B.gif

tumblr_p958dmTghE1vb4dodo1_500.gif

Hetw.gif

• Like 2

Down to 114.8kg this morning, just 0.2 from my target. Sooooo close.

Moved to 4 days a week at the gym and it's definitely the right move. Getting more lifts in without having to rush has been really nice and helped a lot with concentrating on form.

On the negative side I seem to have done myself a mischief in my back. Feels like a pulled muscle, about halfway up, to the left of the spine. Oddly enough, exercising doesn't seem to affect it too much, but it gets worse throughout the day from just sitting. Might be a posture thing. Probably just need a massage chair.

1380766647847.gif

All in all It's been a good week. Hopefully it'll roll over into next week.

• Like 3

Really enjoying 4 days a week at the gym. Not only does it give me more time, but it also gives me a chance to try some new stuff. Yesterday I finally - finally - tried the sled. And I really liked it.

Tlsskdl.gif

Only had 55kg on there (had no reference point as to where to start, so just went with the sled that had the least on there) but definitely going to be a regular exercise now.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 12:37 AM, GodzillaKong said:

Changing things up a little next week. My gym sessions have been a bit of everything; squats, deadlift, rows, bench, etc all on the same day. But I've 'negotiated' an extra schedulee day at the gym so I'll be dedicating 2 days a week to lower body and 2 days to upper body. Hopefully this will mean that I can concentrate more on form instead of rushing a little bit.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:06 PM, GodzillaKong said:

Down to 114.8kg this morning, just 0.2 from my target. Sooooo close.

Moved to 4 days a week at the gym and it's definitely the right move. Getting more lifts in without having to rush has been really nice and helped a lot with concentrating on form.

On the negative side I seem to have done myself a mischief in my back. Feels like a pulled muscle, about halfway up, to the left of the spine. Oddly enough, exercising doesn't seem to affect it too much, but it gets worse throughout the day from just sitting. Might be a posture thing. Probably just need a massage chair.

Keep updating us on how the four day upper/lower thing works! I keep thinking I should switch to four days so my upper body lifts don't suffer, but then I think that doing each lift once per week might make me stall or go backwards. Unsure. It might depend on how advanced one is already. I guess you could do everything twice a week by swapping the accessories around. I.e. doing squat accessories on bench day, deadlift accessories on OHP day, or whatever. Or would that just mean you don't get enough lift-specific stimulus on any one workout? Ahhhh, the options!!! Googling this crap doesn't help, btw, it just makes me more indecisive. So uh, let us know what it does to your progress. 

Good work on losing weight. I tried losing weight last year and it was friggin hard, especially as time went by. BTW 0.2kg is the weight of a syrian hamster. You can do it! 

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

Keep updating us on how the four day upper/lower thing works! I keep thinking I should switch to four days so my upper body lifts don't suffer, but then I think that doing each lift once per week might make me stall or go backwards. Unsure. It might depend on how advanced one is already. I guess you could do everything twice a week by swapping the accessories around. I.e. doing squat accessories on bench day, deadlift accessories on OHP day, or whatever. Or would that just mean you don't get enough lift-specific stimulus on any one workout? Ahhhh, the options!!! Googling this crap doesn't help, btw, it just makes me more indecisive. So uh, let us know what it does to your progress.  

So at the moment I'm doubling up on the big lifts. My schedule looks like this;

Monday: Bench, OHP, Rows, pull downs

Tuesday: squats, deadlifts

Wednesday: rest

Thursday: Bench, OHP, Rows, pull downs

Friday: squats, deadlifts

Then some accessory exercises to fit in around that in the time I have.

It's working for me so far, but it's only been a week. I think it helps that for the moment my primary goal is losing weight from my body rather than adding weight to the bar.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 11:52 PM, GodzillaKong said:

It's working for me so far, but it's only been a week. I think it helps that for the moment my primary goal is losing weight from my body rather than adding weight to the bar.

No running OR burpees? 

Ned Flanders GIF - Ned Flanders Fry GIFs

You still doing bent over or are you switching to pendlay rows?
  • Haha 2

On 11/10/2018 at 11:52 PM, GodzillaKong said:

Okay, interesting. I guess I have a slightly different goals (some impossible combination of get stronger, leaner, more muscular, also get some endurance and find a pair of jeans that fit well... probably total unicorn stuff). Are squats and deadlifts on the same day really tiring? My deadlift hates sharing with other lifts.

13 hours ago, Grumble said:

No running OR burpees? 

Ned Flanders GIF - Ned Flanders Fry GIFs

Not at the moment, although I will admit that some of my sled pushes were dangerously speedy :mellow:

13 hours ago, Grumble said:

You still doing bent over or are you switching to pendlay rows?

Machine :lol:

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Are squats and deadlifts on the same day really tiring? My deadlift hates sharing with other lifts

A little bit, yeah, but not too much. It helps that I'm going for volume and not lifting anywhere near as much as I used to be; 4*15 @ 50kg for squats, instead of the 5*5 @ 130 I was doing earlier this year for example.  When I had squats and deadlifts on the same day doing 5*5 Strongly suggest that properly wiped me out.

8 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

Not at the moment, although I will admit that some of my sled pushes were dangerously speedy :mellow:

So, a slow walk?

Machine :lol:

Oh No GIF - FacePalm Panda Ugh GIFs

A little bit, yeah, but not too much. It helps that I'm going for volume and not lifting anywhere near as much as I used to be; 4*15 @ 50kg for squats, instead of the 5*5 @ 130 I was doing earlier this year for example.  When I had squats and deadlifts on the same day doing 5*5 Strongly suggest that properly wiped me out.

That's a big drop in weight, can you go up a little bit?

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

So, a slow walk?

:lol: I had that coming, didn't I?

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

That's a big drop in weight, can you go up a little bit?

Now that I'm working an upper/lower body split, yeah. I was using them as my finishers before, but no bought them front and centre again and yeah, they're a little easy. I had a fair old gap between doing the 130 and starting this, stupid calf. (Bear in mind that 130 was a personal best that I absolutely struggled through once or twice).