• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber's All Owl's Eve Challenge

Owl-right, time for some goals! (Don't worry, no more owlful puns.. in this particular paragraph..)

Eat at least 1200 cal by 8pm, but no more than 2100. This is a repeat, with a twist. I've mostly gotten over the mental hurdle of eating 'so much' so that the little green numbers are less intimidating than they once were. Unfortunately once I let PB back in, well, things got out of hand pretty quickly. Mainly just trying to eat somewhat within the realm of maintenance until my brain finishes healing, but also be more mindful of how quickly I finish a jar.  I'm going to try and post my numbers here daily to see if that helps with consistency.

Weekend water warrior-- at least 120oz water on the weekends. I drink a lot of water during the week, but I don't do as well on the weekends for some reason. Which means waking up feeling dehydrated and icky. In the past, tracking has helped, so that's the plan here. (Note: tea counts, breakfast doesn't.)

Core. Try some different stuff to find something that I don't hate. Pretty simple. Surely there is a form of core-focused exercise that I'll stick with for longer than a week. I had ab DOMS from something I did last week, so that was.. well, actually it was terrible.

But it was a reminder that I've been avoiding it for too long.

Cooking-- 2 new recipes by the end of the challenge. Preferably something pumpkin-y because I'd forgotten how much I like it. I thought I hated pumpkin for years because I hated pumpkin spice. (Specifically it's the nutmeg. I'll eat a great many things but nutmeg, sage and I are sworn enemies.)

Check boxes:

☐  clean out closet (again)

☐  sort paperwork (again)

☐  Read one classic by the end of the challenge (TBD)

Rolling goals:

Daily Devo

Duolingo

Skin care

Walking. 8,000 steps minimum. Bonus level: 10,000. 

#Yoga365 730. Bonus level: 2 sessions/day. (Aiming for 3 bonus during work week, and 1 weekend day.) Also, front split practice needs to be happening more than once/week.

Spoiler

Yes, that's two (2!), placeholders for the price of one!! Am I an awesome friend or what? :D

giphy.gif

Edited by JustCallMeAmber
GOOOOOOOOOALS
  • Like 3

On 10/16/2018 at 3:01 PM, RedStone said:

giphy.gif 

Well, that's not exactly the hooters I had in mind when I titled my challenge.. :panda:

*flees from bad joke*

giphy.gif

On 10/16/2018 at 4:40 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

giphy.gif

SOON. ish. Still working on it.

giphy.gif

On 10/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, Grumble said:

Waiting patiently for goals...

Image result for owl gif

Hour three of watching this gif trying to determine if real or puppets..

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Well, that's not exactly the hooters I had in mind when I titled my challenge.. :panda:

OMG you're the best :lol:

Zero week:

Rolling goals:

Daily Devo 7/7.

Daily duo 7/7.

Skin care 6/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 50 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 7. Yay!

#Yoga365 730. 7/7. Bonus 3. Boo. Don't forget front split practice! Check!

Forgot to mention a couple of things. 1st, the original post now has goals.

2nd, OHP PRs (one for reps, one for weight) Friday, and running PRs Saturday (total distance, and average time for 3 of the 4 miles). Unexpected, so quite happy on all counts :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Image result for owl gif

We're owl about goals here.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

2nd, OHP PRs (one for reps, one for weight) Friday, and running PRs Saturday (total distance, and average time for 3 of the 4 miles). Unexpected, so quite happy on all counts :D

giphy.gif

These dusty old puns need a wipedown. 

owlet-moist-owlet.jpg

• Haha 1

Wonderful, I want to know what recipes you come up with. I find myself in the land of squash (America) and am unsure what to do with the glut of new and unfamiliar produce.

I... I'm not sure I can bring myself to add another owl gif. It's all the huge globular eyes and the twisty necks, they're making me feel dizzy. Maybe I could compromise with a nightjar.

Behold. This slightly weird bird is the tawny frogmouth, a master of disguise. I should say "these birds", for there are two. At least as far as I can see. There could be more, who knows?

tawny-frogmouths.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

Image result for owl gif

We're owl about goals here.

Yep. The goals, and also the owl riding a toy pony gifs

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, Gemma said:

giphy.gif

These dusty old puns need a wipedown. 

owlet-moist-owlet.jpg

I feel like that's an accurate interpretation of how irritated the owl would be lol

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

Wonderful, I want to know what recipes you come up with. I find myself in the land of squash (America) and am unsure what to do with the glut of new and unfamiliar produce.

I shall pass along any and all recipes that are of reasonable success.

giphy.gif

(Ok that one's a little trippy even by my standards lol)

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

I... I'm not sure I can bring myself to add another owl gif

We also take donations of any other gif it passes your fancy to post...

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

Behold. This slightly weird bird is the tawny frogmouth, a master of disguise. I should say "these birds", for there are two. At least as far as I can see. There could be more, who knows?

tawny-frogmouths.jpg

especially awesome animals like this!! :D

• Like 1

i has pumpkin recipes... :D

chili! any squash goes well.

baked oatmeal - making this this weekend!

custard - have had much success with this in previous years. can make in a pie dish as a dessert. i added an extra egg and a tbsp of rice flour to thicken it up. I think i used a less ripe banana too to help too

also frozen globs of pumpkin puree are great for smoothies!

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i has pumpkin recipes... :D

chili! any squash goes well.

baked oatmeal - making this this weekend!

custard - have had much success with this in previous years. can make in a pie dish as a dessert. i added an extra egg and a tbsp of rice flour to thicken it up. I think i used a less ripe banana too to help too

also frozen globs of pumpkin puree are great for smoothies!

My hero! I was wondering what to make tomorrow for dinner. Chili will be perfect because it's supposed to rain. I even have the ingredients :o

giphy.gif

Also, yes, please to all of the above. The baked oatmeal especially sounds divine.

• Like 2

Week 1 in the books. Let's have a look at the scores, shall we?

Eat at least 1200 cal by 8pm, but no more than 2100. 4/7.. ish. Had no trouble getting to minimum. But also over by a not inconsiderable amount too often for my own good. Filing under work in progress. (It gets filed under 'get yer crap together, missy!' if trend continues.)

Weekend water warrior-- at least 120oz water on the weekends. (Note: tea counts, breakfast doesn't.) 192 and 196, respectively. Much better.

Core. Try some different stuff to find something that I don't hate. This week featured hanging knee raise variations and some random planking because I was short on time.

Cooking-- 2 new recipes by the end of the challenge. Mmm. Chili.

Check boxes:

☐  clean out closet (again) Aaaaand I forgot about this completely :lol:

☐  sort paperwork (again) Samesies

☐  Read one classic by the end of the challenge (TBD) Welp, as with the last time I put specifics to reading goals, a book that had been on hold long enough I'd forgotten about it found its way to me. So step 0 will be to clear that, step 1 will be choosing a title, and then actually reading it.

Rolling goals:

Daily Devo 7/7.

Daily duo 6/7. Oh hey, it's been at least a day or two since I've complained about app failures. :rolleyes:

Skin care 6/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 51 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 7. Yay, 2 weeks in a row!

#Yoga365 730. 7/7. Bonus 3. Boo. Don't forget front split practice! Check!

So, since we're nearly to the 1 year nerd-iversary of the walking goal (squee!), and 2nd for yoga (sheesh!), I figured I'd mention that I picked out my reward: I signed up for NF coaching :)

giphy.gif

Spoke with coach for the first time Friday and I feel like it's going to be a good fit. I'm quite looking forward to not muddling through my own program and learning new things.

Week 2. Begin.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

So, since we're nearly to the 1 year nerd-iversary of the walking goal (squee!), and 2nd for yoga (sheesh!), I figured I'd mention that I picked out my reward: I signed up for NF coaching :)

giphy.gif

Oooh, let us know how the coaching works out for you. 

21 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

congrats!! what perfect way to reward yourself :) 

Thanks! I've spent much of the preceding week or so like this:

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oooh, let us know how the coaching works out for you. 

Will do! :)

I very much like the coach's disposition. She's made it clear up front that this is a team effort, not a dictatorship. (So I'll have a say if there's something in the plan that I really, really hate doing lol)

• Like 3

On 10/30/2018 at 3:07 PM, RedStone said:

Ooooh new coach! Very exciting!!! Keep us posted :D 

Will do! :)That 1st phone conversation was 45 minutes, so I feel like they really want to get to know where you're coming from and where you want to go, versus just handing you a basic template and letting you muddle through it. (For a painfully shy introvert such as myself, that used up most of my words for the week. But it was so worth it, and it got easier as we went, which was definitely a good sign.)

• Like 3

I'm beginning to wonder myself if I should get a coach to dial in my form before I start getting into my double digit runs. It's just so expensive.. Money and things. 

Enough about me. Are you going to be doing more form check videos for your coach? How does the remote training work?

18 hours ago, Grumble said:

I'm beginning to wonder myself if I should get a coach to dial in my form before I start getting into my double digit runs. It's just so expensive.. Money and things. 

I suppose you could always try it for a couple of months to see if it feels like a good investment? I won't lie; I put off spending any $$ until I was really certain it was worth it to me. I'm nothing if not cheap.

18 hours ago, Grumble said:

Are you going to be doing more form check videos for your coach? How does the remote training work?

Yep, all the form checks for all the lifts, plus some other BW movements. (Which has meant more lessons in perception vs reality lol) Right now it is not dissimilar than posting them here, i.e. upload to YouTube and share a link. She did mention something about doing a live session, which I'm not sure how that will work yet.

They use an app called Trainerize, which is pretty cool, though perhaps not the most intuitive interface ever. Basically the coach loads your workouts in your calendar and you track the sets/reps/weight within the app. It also has video demos for everything, so if there's stuff that I'm not familiar with (spoiler: there's a lot), then I can watch a quick demo right during the workout. I have it linked to MFP and FitBit so she can see all of my macros, etc. plus my stats whenever I weigh myself, etc. Nice, centralized way of communicating my data and getting her feedback.

• Like 1