• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber's All Owl's Eve Challenge

On 11/1/2018 at 1:45 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

Will do! :)That 1st phone conversation was 45 minutes, so I feel like they really want to get to know where you're coming from and where you want to go, versus just handing you a basic template and letting you muddle through it. (For a painfully shy introvert such as myself, that used up most of my words for the week. But it was so worth it, and it got easier as we went, which was definitely a good sign.)

Just out of curiosity, do you think you would have been able to have as quality an interaction within a similar time frame doing live text chatting? If so would that have been preferable in terms of introvert battery? Just thinking about practical solutions for introverts!

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:32 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

I suppose you could always try it for a couple of months to see if it feels like a good investment? I won't lie; I put off spending any $$ until I was really certain it was worth it to me. I'm nothing if not cheap frugal and budget conscious.

I'm helping.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:32 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

Yep, all the form checks for all the lifts, plus some other BW movements. (Which has meant more lessons in perception vs reality lol) Right now it is not dissimilar than posting them here, i.e. upload to YouTube and share a link. She did mention something about doing a live session, which I'm not sure how that will work yet.

They use an app called Trainerize, which is pretty cool, though perhaps not the most intuitive interface ever. Basically the coach loads your workouts in your calendar and you track the sets/reps/weight within the app. It also has video demos for everything, so if there's stuff that I'm not familiar with (spoiler: there's a lot), then I can watch a quick demo right during the workout. I have it linked to MFP and FitBit so she can see all of my macros, etc. plus my stats whenever I weigh myself, etc. Nice, centralized way of communicating my data and getting her feedback.

That's very nice. I'm using an app called training peaks that allows a trainer (if I had one) to do the same for my running stuff. We'll see how November goes, and I'll have a chat with Mrs Grumble.

• Like 1

Week 2 complete.

Eat at least 1200 cal by 8pm, but no more than 2100. 4/7.. ish. Had a little bit of trouble getting to minimum by the end of the week, then being way over in most cases. Nutrition is to be discussed with coach this week. Hopefully will get a better strategy moving forward.

Weekend water warrior-- at least 120oz water on the weekends. (Note: tea counts, breakfast doesn't.) 180 and 144, respectively. Sunday's would've been better, but opted for a Diet Dr Pepper at lunch since I hadn't had one in a number of months. Tasty, but heartburn city.

Core. Try some different stuff to find something that I don't hate. Tried hollow hold to superman. (That was graceful, lemme tell you.

)

Cooking-- 2 new recipes by the end of the challenge. Much cooking this week. I tried an almond crusted salmon and a pumpkin soup, which I wasn't crazy about

either one. Made NNP's  mexi-cauli rice to go with burrito bowls, which was yummy! Also made this which I believe CM had shared on one of her threads? It was pretty tasty even with the turkey sausage I used.

Check boxes:

clean out closet (again) B)

sort paperwork (again) So, half point here? I went through and tossed the junk, filed the insurance (well, actually everything but the bank statements) stuff. So mostly done.

Read one classic by the end of the challenge (TBD) Read two books so far, neither of which fit the category. :lol:

BUT, I did start one, so I'm making progress!

Rolling goals:

Daily Devo 7/7.

Daily duo 7/7.

Skin care 6/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 52 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 6. Woo! Made it through an entire year! :o

#Yoga365 730. 7/7. Bonus 5. Don't forget front split practice! Check!

But still not making an effort to do more than once/week, which is causing me to lose some flex.

tenor.gif?itemid=12429723

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, RedStone said:

Just out of curiosity, do you think you would have been able to have as quality an interaction within a similar time frame doing live text chatting? If so would that have been preferable in terms of introvert battery? Just thinking about practical solutions for introverts!

I've been mulling this one over for awhile. I think there's a certain.. flow to conversation over the phone or in person that is somewhat lost in text. For me, text is easier to rattle off answers to questions, etc, but it's harder to convey emotions related to those responses. Which does make it less draining, but maybe at the expense of conveying your full meaning. And even texting/chatting/posting can be draining. (Which is why I sometimes post ALL THE THINGS! one day and ghost the rest of the week lol) Supposed to be scheduling another call for this week, so we'll see how that goes. Her number one point of emphasis is Communication/honesty, followed by TRY (even if you're nervous, give it a chance), take ownership (of yourself/responsibilities/health, etc) and Community (i.e. you're not in this alone; it's ok to ask for help). So if I feel like the calls are costing me too much mentally/emotionally, I will speak up.

23 hours ago, Grumble said:

I'm helping.

Lol, thanks! Frugal has a nice ring to it I think. (Better than 'miserly' at any rate :lol:)

23 hours ago, Grumble said:

I'm using an app called training peaks that allows a trainer (if I had one) to do the same for my running stuff. We'll see how November goes, and I'll have a chat with Mrs Grumble.

Cool! That's what you post your run results from, yeah? Good luck, and I hope that it works out for you!

Also, before I started running, I always imagined a running coach to be something along these lines:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Cool! That's what you post your run results from, yeah? Good luck, and I hope that it works out for you!

I'm currently using fitbit for that. I haven't figured out how to import my fitbit stats into training peaks directly.

1 minute ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Also, before I started running, I always imagined a running coach to be something along these lines:

giphy.gif

You know, so did I, until I started talking to real runners. Running is as much about form as any lift. 

17 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I'm currently using fitbit for that. I haven't figured out how to import my fitbit stats into training peaks directly.

Oh, oops lol. You can tell how often I look at anything other than the time/splits in the app. I didn't even realize you could look at your times compared to previous runs til Saturday.

giphy.gif

Although, I have to say it's weird that training peaks and fitbit won't talk to each other? So many people use fitbit you'd think it would be pretty well ubiquitous.

20 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Running is as much about form as any lift. 

..that explain a lot.

giphy.gif

But truly, I think I'm finally starting to realize that everything is a skill tree. Being bad at something doesn't mean you'll always be bad at it, provided you actually try to improve it. I think too many people, myself included, start to use "I'm bad at this" as an excuse to never try at all. Me, I'm not a great conversationalist, so I tend to avoid talking. Oddly enough, that doesn't actually make you better at talking to people. I think I'm learning to embrace my weirdness more, or at least maybe realizing that it's ok if other people think I'm a little odd..

Huh, that got a little more deep than I intended. Here's an owl playing maracas:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

But truly, I think I'm finally starting to realize that everything is a skill tree

Wut.

fuuuckkkkkk.

I'm really gonna have to sit down with myself and re-evaluate a lot of things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

But truly, I think I'm finally starting to realize that everything is a skill tree. Being bad at something doesn't mean you'll always be bad at it, provided you actually try to improve it. I think too many people, myself included, start to use "I'm bad at this" as an excuse to never try at all. Me, I'm not a great conversationalist, so I tend to avoid talking. 

"I certainly have not the talent which some people possess, of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done. When the opportunity of levelling up arises, I have the tendency of placing points in the destruction tree, whilst neglecting persuasion."

"My fingers do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many bard's do. They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression. But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault--because I will not take the trouble of slaughtering mud crabs for experience. It is not that I do not believe _my_ fingers as capable as any other bard's of superior execution."

"You are perfectly right. You have employed your time much better in conjuration practice. No one admitted to the privilege of hearing you, nor any wayward bandit incinerated by your flame atronarch, can think anything wanting. We neither of us perform to strangers." 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095be2322d565431566b

• Like 3

21 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Tried hollow hold to superman. (That was graceful, lemme tell you.)

wait, can we go back to this?? i definitely would look like a fish if I tried to do this.

also yay food! yes i love that spaghetti squash pizza thing-o. sorry the salmon and soup were meh. but you tried new things!

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

Wut.

fuuuckkkkkk.

I'm really gonna have to sit down with myself and re-evaluate a lot of things.

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

"I certainly have not the talent which some people possess, of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done. When the opportunity of levelling up arises, I have the tendency of placing points in the destruction tree, whilst neglecting persuasion."

"My fingers do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many bard's do. They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression. But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault--because I will not take the trouble of slaughtering mud crabs for experience. It is not that I do not believe _my_ fingers as capable as any other bard's of superior execution."

"You are perfectly right. You have employed your time much better in conjuration practice. No one admitted to the privilege of hearing you, nor any wayward bandit incinerated by your flame atronarch, can think anything wanting. We neither of us perform to strangers." 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095be2322d565431566b

giphy.gif

50 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

wait, can we go back to this?? i definitely would look like a fish if I tried to do this.

Fish-like would be an accurate description. (Or in my case, maybe just some invertebrate..)

10 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I would die.

Yeah, that's exactly what it looked like when I did it. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

also yay food! yes i love that spaghetti squash pizza thing-o. sorry the salmon and soup were meh. but you tried new things!

I think the fish would've been better grilled instead of baked. The soup, well, that needed some help. Edible, but just not much flavor to it for some reason. But yes, new things are good! Add some xp to the cooking talent tree ;)

• Like 2

I think the fish would've been better grilled instead of baked. The soup, well, that needed some help. Edible, but just not much flavor to it for some reason. But yes, new things are good! Add some xp to the cooking talent tree ;)

pumpkin is very flavorless. we associate pumpkin flavored things or pumpkin smells to the SPICES that are typically in a pie. not the pumpkin itself. i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere... ANYWAY it usually needs help to be enjoyable to humans. wolves on the other hand...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

pumpkin is very flavorless. we associate pumpkin flavored things or pumpkin smells to the SPICES that are typically in a pie. not the pumpkin itself. i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere... ANYWAY it usually needs help to be enjoyable to humans. wolves on the other hand...

1st off, that video is amazing! Who knew wolves liked pumpkin?

2nd, I don't think it's flavorless so much as an extremely mild flavor. It's like coconut in the sense that it almost needs something sweet to actually taste like itself. That was something that I omitted from the recipe; apple juice and honey. I figured I could balance it with savory spices because my brother doesn't like sweet soups (like panera's squash soup), and he was eating over. Live and learn.

On a slightly different tangent, the most evident pumpkin vs pumpkin spice flavor for me has been with celestial seasoning's sweet harvest pumpkin. (Which is also the only tea I've ever seen that comes with stevia in the teabag.) It legitimately tastes like pumpkin.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 1:03 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

But truly, I think I'm finally starting to realize that everything is a skill tree. Being bad at something doesn't mean you'll always be bad at it, provided you actually try to improve it.

You just had to hit me with that right at the beginning of my vacation...

That's good timing. That means I have relaxed relaxing days ahead of me that will let me spend time actually thinking about important things. Like this one.

"Everything is a skill tree."

https://media.giphy.com/media/KJHINXxzWX7A4/giphy.gif 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

That's good timing. That means I have relaxed relaxing days ahead of me that will let me spend time actually thinking about important things. Like this one.

Maybe thinking about life in terms of skill trees.... is a skill tree itself. Maybe the moment you switch to thinking about everything in terms of skill trees is the moment you got the *finally understands the fundamental skill-tree nature of the universe* perk. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

You just had to hit me with that right at the beginning of my vacation...

https://media.giphy.com/media/KJHINXxzWX7A4/giphy.gif 

As long as the thought in no way interferes with your enjoyment of said vacation :)

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Maybe thinking about life in terms of skill trees.... is a skill tree itself. Maybe the moment you switch to thinking about everything in terms of skill trees is the moment you got the *finally understands the fundamental skill-tree nature of the universe* perk. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

As long as the thought in no way interferes with your enjoyment of said vacation :)

giphy.gif

THe derpiest derp that ever derped. I want it.

giphy.gif

Thumbs Up! GIF - DodgeBall Comedy Agree GIFs

Brain breaking brilliance. 
  • Like 3

Week 3 summary:

Eat at least 1200 cal by 8pm, but no more than 2100. Abandoned this week due to illness. Not sick enough to be sick, but sick enough to want all the foodz and sleep.

Weekend water warrior-- at least 120oz water on the weekends. (Note: tea counts, breakfast doesn't.) 134 and 144, respectively. Not my best work, but got the job done.

Core. Try some different stuff to find something that I don't hate. Hanging leg raises.. sort of.. I did one leg at a time.

Cooking-- 2 new recipes by the end of the challenge. No new stuff this week, unless you count bone broth. Cooking got bumped yesterday, due to an incident involving a shop vac, a fireplace and an improper filter. Fortunately I'm part squirrel and freezer is full of previously prepared meal prep.

Check boxes:

clean out closet (again) B)

sort paperwork (again) Still need to finish by the end of this week.

Read one classic by the end of the challenge (TBD) Working my way through Bleak House, hoping to finish before loan ends.

Rolling goals:

Daily Devo 7/7.

Daily duo 7/7.

Skin care 6/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 53 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 5.

#Yoga365 730. 7/7. Bonus 5. Don't forget front split practice! Check! But still not making an effort to do more than once/week, which is causing me to lose some flex. Really I feel like I should be making more of an effort overall to improve versus just maintaining current flexibility. 

giphy.gif

^^My cats do this. Same snarky look too. (The dog also sucks at fetch, but more because he prefers 'keep away' to that whole 'retrieve' thing, and also he has ADD.)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

^^My cats do this. Same snarky look too. (The dog also sucks at fetch, but more because he prefers 'keep away' to that whole 'retrieve' thing, and also he has ADD.)

My cats chase things, then lay down on top of them and look confused, like they lost them. Not the brightest buttons. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

The dog also sucks at fetch, but more because he prefers 'keep away' to that whole 'retrieve' thing, and also he has ADD.

ADD is just alternative spelling of dog.

Image result for owl and dog gif

(tangentially related, but too cute not to share)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

My cats chase things, then lay down on top of them and look confused, like they lost them. Not the brightest buttons. 

giphy.gif

"What? I don't remember seeing any toys here.."

18 minutes ago, Grumble said:

ADD is just alternative spelling of dog.

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Image result for owl and dog gif

OMG.:wub: This is so Dudley with every kitten that has ever passed through our house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

"What? I don't remember seeing any toys here.."

giphy.gif

OMG.:wub: This is so Dudley with every kitten that has ever passed through our house.

Sweeeeet. I had a golden retriever. I miss him. He was super, hyper, painfully excitable. He would wake me up by wagging his tail so hard it thumped against the walls of the hallway outside my room in the morning. 

• Like 2

Week 4 summary:

Eat at least 1200 cal by 8pm, but no more than 2100. Was doing better, but have skipped 3 meals since Saturday. At least yesterday was because I legitimately wasn't hungry and not just too busy and/or forgot. 

Weekend water warrior-- at least 120oz water on the weekends. (Note: tea counts, breakfast doesn't.) 142 and 160, respectively. Got the job done.

Core. Try some different stuff to find something that I don't hate. Hanging leg raises with my feet touching is doable. New thing this week was working on hurdlers during yoga.

Cooking-- 2 new recipes by the end of the challenge. No new recipes, but did a twist on an old standby that was tasty. Works for me.

Check boxes:

clean out closet (again) B)

sort paperwork (again) Boo. Did not get finished.

Read one classic by the end of the challenge (TBD) Working my way through Bleak House, hoping to finish before loan ends. Boo. Did not get finished.

Rolling goals:

Daily Devo 7/7.

Daily duo 7/7.

Skin care 6/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 54 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 6. 500 steps short of 7/7.

#Yoga365 730. 7/7. Bonus 4. Don't forget front split practice!

Did not get quite as much done as I originally hoped, but I shouldn't complain too much. Considering how much time I spent battling my own brain, I am glad I got as much done as I did. I think I will be spending some time trying to reconnect with my inner cheerleader. I miss having enthusiasm for things. 

200w.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bf6be105553354a6f3

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Hope you get to spend time with the people you love :)

• Like 1