• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Deuce

Deuce Chapter 1

Introduction

My name is Deuce and I'm a long time challenge stalker, first time participator.  I'm hoping that committing to a challenge will help me make some forward progress.

Main Quest

My main quest is to feel at peace with myself.  To me, that means...

1. Moving about the world without pain and liking what I see when I look in the mirror (body)
  2. Feeling confident and courageous enough to step out of my comfort zone (mind)
  3. Knowing that I am worthy of love (soul)

Challenge Goals

For my first challenge, I'll be working on habits.  I am aiming to complete things a certain number of times during the week rather than focusing on a particular outcome.

1. Workout four days per week
    I am currently focused on physique over performance, though getting stronger is always nice.  I have chosen an upper/lower split with moderate to high rep ranges, and I plan to stick with that through the end of the year.
    16 points possible

2. Fast five days per week
    I am currently practicing intermittent fasting; I eat from 1 pm to 9 pm and starve stay really focused the rest of the time.  Ideally I'd keep my eating window the same every day, but I'm actually around the house on the weekends and it's nice to participate in family meals when I can.  So I'm choosing "practical" over "ideal" and fasting only on weekdays.
    20 points possible

3. Track seven days per week
    I'm really good at tracking and being mindful of what I eat Monday through Friday, but all hell breaks loose over the weekend.  I'm not looking to be a complete downer on my days off, but I would like to be more aware of the food decisions I'm making.
    28 points possible

4. Earn a (stupid) cardio BONUS one day per week
    I like weight lifting.  I even enjoy walking DB lunges which is like a weight lifting + cardio super (painful) exercise.  I really, really, really do not like cardio.  Hearts are kinda important, though, so I'm going to encourage myself to spend more time challenging it.
    4 super special bonus points :star: possible

Grading

I can earn up to 64 points for completing this challenge.  Actual reward ideas TBD.  Super special bonus points :star: tracked separately and good for a separate (TBD) award.

• 90-100% = 57-64 points = A
  • 80-89% = 51-56 points = B
  • 70-79% = 44-50 points = C
  • 0-69% = 0-43 points = F
  • Like 5

Progress

Week 0

Doesn't count toward final grade!

1. Workout: 3/4
  2. Fast: 4/5
  3. Track: 5/7
  4. Cardio: 0/1

Not bad for a vacation week.

Week 1

2. Fast: 5/5
  3. Track: 7/7

Week 2

2. Fast: 4/5
  3. Track: 5/7

Week 3

1. Workout
  2. Fast
  3. Track
  4. Cardio

Week 4

1. Workout
  2. Fast
  3. Track
  4. Cardio

• Like 2

giphy.gif

Monday's Workout

• Warm-up
  • Arch Hold + Hollow Hold: 20 sec. x 2
  • Band Pallof Press: 30 x 10 + 10 sec. hold x 2
  • Deadlift: 95 x 6, 115 x 6, 135 x 6, 155 x 6
  • Goblet Squat: 10 x 10 x 3
  • Leg Curl: 15 x 12 x 3
  • Walking DB Lunge: (15 x 2) x 12 LR x 3
  • Seated Calf Raise: 40 x 10 LR x 3
  • Like 3

giphy.gif

Tuesday's Workout

• Warm-up
  • Front + Left + Reverse + Right Plank: 21" x 4
  • Braced 1-arm Row: 5 x 8 LR, 15 x 8 LR, 25 x 8 LR, 37.5 x 8 LR x 4
  • Bench Press: 45 x 6, 65 x 6, 85 x 6, 100 x 6 x 4
  • Pulldown: 90 x 11 x 3
  • 1-arm DB Shoulder Press: 15 x 11 LR x 3
  • Curl: 30 x 13 x 3
  • Rope Pressdown: 35 x 13 x 3
  • Chest Supported Rear Delt Fly: (5 x 2) x 14 x 2
  • DB Lateral Raise "Pour" with Hold: (5 x 2) x 14 + 5" x 2
  • Like 2

In an effort to maintain my fast in a slightly more comfortable fashion (I'M STARVING TO DEATH OVER HERE) I am making a lot of tea and attempting to enjoy it.  So far, I am successfully making a ton of tea, but the enjoyment factor is... lacking.  Turns out dead leaves in hot water tastes like dead leaves in hot water.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

giphy.gif

Wednesday's Workout

• Warm-up 

• Arch Hold + Hollow Hold: 20 sec. x 2

• Band Pallof Press: 30 x 10 + 10 sec. hold x 2

• Squat: 25 x 6, 45 x 6, 65 x 6 x 4

• Romanian Deadlift: 45 x 12 x 3

• Leg Extension: 15 x 13 x 3

• Glute Bridge: BW x 13 x 3

• Standing Calf Raise: 20 x 11 x 3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Good plan with good goals, and a realistic approach!

Nailed it!

Now ya just gotta get in the groove!

Thanks!  I'm working on it.

This week is a little weird because I'm off on vacation tomorrow so I'm jamming a lot of training into a short period of time.  A little burnt out, but knowing/convincing myself it's just temporary and pushing through.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Rebellion!

And I agree - cardio sucks.

Have you tried sneaky cardio?

I’ve found rowing, jump squats, sled pushes and tiptoe “running” on the treadmill band with the machine off (acts almost like sled pushes) to be good workarounds for my brain.

Because running makes every organ feel like it’s trying to Claw its way out of my body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Because running makes every organ feel like it’s trying to Claw its way out of my body.

Now there's a visual... :lol:

• Like 2

On 10/20/2018 at 11:40 AM, RES said:

Great plan! Can I ask what you're doing for cardio? It doesn't all have to be dreadmill running :D 

I have no real plan, honestly.  Possibilities include mountain biking or hiking on weekends, Muay Thai kickboxing class, heavy bag work (kick boxing), jump rope, kettlebell complexes of some sort, maybe a DareBee.com workout or two...?  I should probably actually schedule something but my motivation is hovering somewhere around zero for this bonus goal.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:36 AM, darkfoxx said:

Welcome to the Rebellion!

And I agree - cardio sucks.

Have you tried sneaky cardio?

I’ve found rowing, jump squats, sled pushes and tiptoe “running” on the treadmill band with the machine off (acts almost like sled pushes) to be good workarounds for my brain.

Thank you for the welcome!

I like the idea of sneaky cardio... though I pictured something more along the lines of ninja training than sled pushes. :D  Thanks for the ideas!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I ended Week 0 with a vacation, which is either the best or worst way to start a challenge.  I'll let you know in four weeks.

giphy.gif

Currently struggling mentally with the scale.  Last week I did really well sticking to my goals (vacation aside) and saw absolutely zero significant changes in my weight.  Now I'm not actually looking to lose weight, I could care less what I weigh, but I am looking to lose a significant amount of fat and that should be reflected on the scale.  I'm not changing anything yet, it's too soon to know whether my plan is working, but it's something that my mind has been spinning on.  It's different than past experience dictates and that has me worried.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Hey Deuce! I understand your struggle with the scale, I think we all want instant gratification, haha! I'm a complete beginner with this kinda stuff, but I think it's really important not to expect dramatic changes just in a week or two since you just got started. Easier said than done though, I know!! But I'm cheering you on, and I know soon you'll start to see small changes that will excite you for more!! :D 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 10:11 AM, Deuce said:

though I pictured something more along the lines of ninja training than sled pushes

Ninja training sounds even better! :D 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stellarhime said:

Hey Deuce! I understand your struggle with the scale, I think we all want instant gratification, haha! I'm a complete beginner with this kinda stuff, but I think it's really important not to expect dramatic changes just in a week or two since you just got started. Easier said than done though, I know!! But I'm cheering you on, and I know soon you'll start to see small changes that will excite you for more!! :D 

BUT I WANT CHANGES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!

giphy.gif

Thanks for the cheers.  I appreciate them!  :)

• Like 1

giphy.gif

My seasonal GIFs are gonna get a lot less interesting in November.  I'll have to get more creative for Turkey Day.

Monday's Workout

• Warm-up
  • Front + Left + Reverse + Right Plank: 21" x 4
  • 1-arm Pulldown: 15 x 8 LR, 35 x 8 LR, 55 x 8 LR x 4
  • Overhead Press: 45 x 6, 65 x 6, 85 x 6 x 4
  • Seated Cable Row: 80 x 11 x 3
  • DB Hex Press: (30 x 2) x 11 x 3
  • Rope Face Pull: 35 x 14 x 3
  • DB Lateral Raise: (10 x 2) x 14 x 3
  • Hammer Curl: (15 x 2) x 15 x 2
  • Rope Overhead Extension: 30 x 15 x 2
  • Like 2

giphy.gif

Tuesday's Workout

• Warm-up
  • Arch Hold + Hollow Hold: 21 sec. x 2
  • Band Pallof Press: 30 x 11 + 10 sec. hold x 2
  • Deadlift: 75 x 6, 105 x 6, 135 x 6, 165 x 6
  • Goblet Squat: 10 x 11 x 3
  • Leg Curl: 15 x 13 x 3
  • Walking DB Lunge: (15 x 2) x 13 LR x 3
  • Standing Calf Raise: 20 x 12 x 3
  • Like 3

On 10/29/2018 at 8:36 PM, stellarhime said:

Keep going Deuce!! You got this!!

On 11/4/2018 at 1:56 PM, RES said:

How are things going?

Thanks for checking in, Nerds.  I am chugging along but hellaciously busy.  Haven't had much time for posting as of late!

I am finding, however, that my desire to look good isn't providing much training motivation.  I think I may need to set some performance goals for myself... or maybe concrete physique goals as opposed to just looking better.  Playing with the idea of getting all Assassiny next challenge and doing some bodyweight stuff.  Dunno.

• Like 1

Glad to see you again!! I agree that just focusing on the appearance aspect of fitness is a poor motivator. And I understand how you feel, I want abs and to look toned and all that! Not to repreach what Steve has said, but appearance is a consequence of fitness :D maybe focus on what makes you feel good and those performance goals, and the body you want will follow with hard work and diligence! I believe in you!! 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 11:27 PM, Deuce said:

Currently struggling mentally with the scale.

There are people who are able to see evidence of their hard work on the scale, but I am not one of them.  Even after a few years of consistent working out, I am still only about 5-10 pounds down from where I started, and body fat % (as measured by my "smart" scale) has barely moved.  I wish that my pants felt looser than they did last year, but they don't.  I would be lying if I said it wasn't frustrating at times, and if the scale was my primary motivator, I would probably have given up in discouragement long ago.  

What I have discovered is that what keeps me going finding things that I really enjoy doing (and finding new things when I get tired of what used to be fun).  At first it was bodyweight exercises, and then when that became too routine, I started trying to do things with the strength I had built up.  I have delved into parkour, tricking, gymnastics, OCRs, and various calisthenics skills.  Now, a couple of years down the road, I have noticed that even though neither my weight nor my waist size has changed, I feel better about myself, I have more confidence and I swear I look better in the mirror even though the scale doesn't back that up.  

I think finding activities you love (even if they change over time) will make a world of difference, not just for your body image but also for your motivation levels.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 6:33 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I would be lying if I said it wasn't frustrating at times, and if the scale was my primary motivator, I would probably have given up in discouragement long ago.  

So Much This!!