• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grumble

Grumble gets Shiny

Hi, my name is Grumble, and I'm a sufferer of SOS.

It's an expensive and painful disease. It has occasionally affected my relationship with my wife. It has definitely affected my relationship with my wallet.

Shiny Object Syndrome is real people.

Image result for shiny gif

I've got two races during this challenge. A 5k on OCT 27th and a 10k on NOV 17th.

Race goals:

5k for 26 min or better

10k for 52 min or better

Goal pace is between 8:20 and 8:30 a mile

No big. Easy runs. No challenge at all. >_> <_<

Image result for firefly panic gif

I've been lifting twice a week, either doing a HIIT or a Jim Stoppani program. Might up that to three times a week. The runs are all feeling good, and so long as I don't do a lower body session AND a run in the same day, I feel like I'm doing alright.

Muscular Man GIF - Muscular Man Firefly GIFs

I'm buying too much crap during the week. Need to stop this (it's mostly junk food, small portions, but still). I don't have a plan for how to do this yet or how to reward it. More to follow.

Firefly Serenity GIF - Firefly Serenity Simontam GIFs

I bought a 5' pvc pipe. I own a lacrosse ball and a foam roller. I have no excuse to not be more limber. I also have no plan. I have acquired a copy of Supple Leopard and will be going through it. I will update with specifics once I start reading it and can break down how I can incorporate details into the challenge. UPDATED
I will do passthroughs and other shoulder work with my pipe every day. I have pain in my shoulder when I run so I know it's due a lot to my form, so part of my regiment will be heavily focused on shoulder mobility. I will also spend a lot of time working on running form in regards to my shoulders and upper back.
Image result for river tam kick gif
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Grumble said:

Race goals:

5k for 26 min or better

10k for 52 min or better 

Goal pace is between 8:20 and 8:30 a mile

I know you have been getting into running, but I'm not sure how much you have competed in the past.  As someone that has run quite a few 5ks, 10k, 15ks, etc... Unless your 5k goal is a really easy low bar you set for yourself, it can be hard to extrapolate the same pace into the 10k.  If your recent best 5k time is 26m and you are pretty winded after.. you'll be REALLY feeling it trying to keep that pace through a whole 10k.

Good luck though! I hope you crush them both! Just don't go out on the start of that 10K so aggressive that you hit a wall mid race!

giphy.gif

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Legolas Greenleaf said:

I know you have been getting into running, but I'm not sure how much you have competed in the past.  As someone that has run quite a few 5ks, 10k, 15ks, etc... Unless your 5k goal is a really easy low bar you set for yourself, it can be hard to extrapolate the same pace into the 10k.  If your recent best 5k time is 26m and you are pretty winded after.. you'll be REALLY feeling it trying to keep that pace through a whole 10k.

Good luck though! I hope you crush them both! Just don't go out on the start of that 10K so aggressive that you hit a wall mid race!

giphy.gif

My 5 and 10k pace in the past have always been fairly matched. So it's not a goal without precedence. It's just ambitious overall.

27 minutes ago, raptron said:

Get that stretch on.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Tried doing that and my hip locked up.

27 minutes ago, raptron said:

Is it a Halloween 5k? :D:D:D

(I love costumes. Sorry, not sorry.)

It is, but I am not run costume prepped.

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

It is, but I am not run costume prepped.

Oh, a little facepaint! A headband! A themed shirt! It's not like you have to wear a mascot outfit or anything. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Oh, a little facepaint! A headband! A themed shirt! It's not like you have to wear a mascot outfit or anything. :P

You say that like I want to halfass things. :P

I guess. I'll do something and post it.

17 hours ago, Grumble said:

You say that like I want to halfass things. :P

I guess. I'll do something and post it.

do it. we once were not prepped for a halloween 5K and decided to be basic b*tches (starbucks cup with PSL written on, puffy vest, black spandex pants, knit hat or scarf)... oh look i found a picture!

14955856_10100543808161439_2303286647789

also hi! hello! GL with the challenge! i totally thought it was going to be this kind of shiny...

tenor.gif?itemid=9167820

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

do it. we once were not prepped for a halloween 5K and decided to be basic b*tches (starbucks cup with PSL written on, puffy vest, black spandex pants, knit hat or scarf)... oh look i found a picture!

14955856_10100543808161439_2303286647789

AH, you so basic!

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

also hi! hello! GL with the challenge! i totally thought it was going to be this kind of shiny...

tenor.gif?itemid=9167820

It's still possible. Feel free to add any shiny related gifs to my thread. I just happened to be thinking of firefly when I made the title.

31 minutes ago, raptron said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5069665

The best kind of pressure.

PSA: Kari Byron is the biggest nerd boner tease in the history of ever.

• Haha 1

RUN

18:36, Wednesday October 17, 2018
3.02 mi
27:05 mins
8'59" pace
150 bpm
526 cals

Hey, look at that. Another Wednesday night PR. Need to take another minute off my time in two weeks. Gonna have to do a big jump in my tempo. I think I can do it, I definitely run faster when in a pack. 

Oh, and I did this after a full body Landmine workout. #humblebrag

30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest (unilateral exercises it's 30 seconds per arm then rest) 3 rounds

Everything was done with a 25 lb plate.

Landmine sprawl (like a burpee but controlled and without that stupid pushup)

Lunge to Press (Unilateral)

One Arm row (Unilateral)

Floor Press to Situp (Unilateral, also, these situps sucked. Core is weak and flabby)

Standing Oblique Twist

Pull and press (Unilateral (kinda) Row with one arm, at the top of the row switch hands into a press)

I have brought one of my PVC pipes to work and have used it every day so far mostly doing shoulder passthroughs and around the worlds. So far so good.

• Like 2

Oooh, impressive that you're running and lifting at the same time. I think you should design a streamlined costume so that it doesn't affect your running times. Do not dress up as a giant lobster. Or a pterodactyl. Those would have significant drag factor. Superheroes, on the other hand, are naturally sleek because of all the spandex. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Those would have significant drag factor.

Or if I may offer a different kind of significant drag...

(Which also would significantly increase your finish stage time)

But heyo, so fab!! And Grimble could do your makeup. What could possibly go wrong there?

giphy.gif

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Oooh, impressive that you're running and lifting at the same time. I think you should design a streamlined costume so that it doesn't affect your running times. Do not dress up as a giant lobster. Or a pterodactyl. Those would have significant drag factor. Superheroes, on the other hand, are naturally sleek because of all the spandex. 

I did contemplate the Trex costume, but as much as I sweat, I might die. Thinking a Where's Waldo might be the best option.

42 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Or if I may offer a different kind of significant drag...

(Which also would significantly increase your finish stage time)

But heyo, so fab!! And Grimble could do your makeup. What could possibly go wrong there?

giphy.gif

Image result for im fabulous

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Thinking a Where's Waldo might be the best option.

Omg yes. Mr Red did a WW costume once. So much swoon! And easy and comfy! And to be worn in a crowd! I super heart

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RedStone said:

Omg yes. Mr Red did a WW costume once. So much swoon! And easy and comfy! And to be worn in a crowd! I super heart

After the drag convo, I assumed this meant Wonder Woman. 

propertybrotherswonderwomens2017.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 10/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, raptron said:

After the drag convo, I assumed this meant Wonder Woman. 

propertybrotherswonderwomens2017.jpg

admittedly that was my first thought as well...

GOOD LUCK GRUMBLE!!! Running sucks, I've dabbled...You could always go basic with a scream ghost costume, chase the other runners!

Just one thing to remember!

image.png.3b60026e3d7cc4adf73978cbfc3a00bf.png

• Like 2

On 10/19/2018 at 1:35 PM, scalyfreak said:

I need those red boots. Right now.

The Scott brothers and I are about the same height, I could should probably steal his boots.

17 hours ago, farflight said:

admittedly that was my first thought as well...

GOOD LUCK GRUMBLE!!! Running sucks, I've dabbled...You could always go basic with a scream ghost costume, chase the other runners!

You're back!

The scream is def an idea, dunno about the running with a mask on though. Maybe I could go as death from BIll and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Just one thing to remember!

image.png.3b60026e3d7cc4adf73978cbfc3a00bf.png

So say we all.

41 minutes ago, jenglish said:

Sticking around for other fast warriors.

Image result for gotta go fast gif

• Like 1

WEEK ONE COMETH

Catchup

Thursday. Easy 2 mile run with grimble.

RUN

16:55, Thursday October 18, 2018
2.07 mi
18:52 mins
9'07" pace
148 bpm
337 cals

Saturday. 5 mile PR run. left hip was achey. Need to roll out more. Same with my right knee. Rolled out my quad and I could feel the tendons under my knee being obnoxious. I don't stretch enough. But enough whining. I RAN 5 MILES without stopping.

RUN

10:17, Saturday October 20, 2018
5.01 mi
47:46 mins
9'32" pace
152 bpm
888 cals

Got my stretching in with my PVC pipe. And had to hide it from grimble. Cause everything's a toy. 

This week is going to be fun. Get to go do runs well outside of my normal area, like Dallas outside. Gonna be in TX most of the week for work. Should be fun.

• Like 3