• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grumble

Grumble gets Shiny

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

Got my stretching in with my PVC pipe. And had to hide it from grimble. Cause everything's a toy. training for her to become a jedi master

giphy.gif

FTFY

Also, great job with the running! Continue to be impressed with your progress

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

Got my stretching in with my PVC pipe. And had to hide it from grimble. Cause everything's a toy weapon of opportunity. 

• Like 3

These are all very good ideas. Whole heartedly approve.

I ran this morning. On a treadmill. It was awful. I was going to run tonight, but we went bar hopping. Whoops.

Also, Dallas is very wet today.

• Like 1

I'm not dead!

Although I made a concerted effort. Thursday night bar hopping ended at 5 am friday morning with my flight at 12. I was very tired. There was lots of recovery involved.

Firefly Serenity GIF - Firefly Serenity Bunk GIFs

Saturday's run did not happen. It turned out the "5k" was a 5k relay and they would not let me run solo. So running didn't happen. Instead we had a date night and went indoor skydiving! Twas fun. I had very serious face. I might post a pic later.

Firefly Serenity GIF - Firefly Serenity MalcolmReynolds GIFs

Sunday was more slacking. Watched the Dodgers lose. But I had people over, which made it better.

Nathan Fillion Firefly GIF - NathanFillion Firefly Jam GIFs

Tuesday, my first real run in a week (I don't count that bullshit on the treadmill. I feel like a fat hamster on a wheel staring off into the void). 

RUN

16:23, Tuesday October 30, 2018
2.5 mi
23:41 mins
9'27" pace
154 bpm
465 cals
Just an easy run to get back into the groove. Moved good, but not great. Hip still bothers me, but I think it's related to the road running I've been doing where one hip has been consistently higher than the other.

Wednesday's run, however, was another matter. My fastest 5k time to date. So another PR.

RUN

11:44, Wednesday October 31, 2018
3.13 mi
26:29 mins
8'47" pace
159 bpm
544 cals
So didn't quite hit my run time, but I feel like I came pretty damn close.
Mel Fire Fly GIF - Mel FireFly NiceShot GIFs

I'm buying less this week. I don't count last week. I was traveling. I was with my boss and coworkers who drink, I didn't have to pay for it.

This week I have been extra snack shopping twice, as opposed to 4 or 5 times so far. Haven't even looked at amazon. Feeling weird about it. there's definitely some... compulsion? urge? Not sure what the word I want here is. 

Back on the PVC train too. I definitely missed the daily stretching while I was gone, and totally forgot to do it at home until Sunday. I'm noticing that even with my stretching, and I am seeing improved mobility, my shoulder still starts to ache when I'm swinging my arm back. I may not be able to improve my arm swing by any more than I have. As my long runs get longer, I'll have a better read on it. Hopefully by January I'll be able to get that on lock.
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

whaaaaaat bummer about the "relay" but isn't indoor skydiving so fun?!

SO FUN.

We did two flights and the second one was the "high altitude". The pro even let me go for the last 20 seconds. Really want to go do the real thing now. Need to lose about 8-10 more lbs before I can go without a waiver. (It's a pride thing.)

7 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I went looking for a hamster gif on account of your dreadmilling. I found this instead:

giphy.gif

THis is so much better that it's not even the same universe.

• Like 2

Happy Monday!

Does anyone have a pair of legs I could borrow while mine heal?

Oy.

Friday.

Lower body HIIT

45248747_281161125844674_474810337956829

These were good. Legs were tired but not destroyed.

But wait, there's more!

Saturday:

RUN

17:46, Saturday November 03, 2018
5.52 mi
53:16 mins
9'39" pace
158 bpm
1018 cals

*dead*

Wash Firefly GIF - Wash Firefly Serenity GIFs

TBF, the run itself was fine. I could have gone much longer than the rx distance. It's just the recovery aftermath on sunday, especially with it being an army weekend and working on the second floor. (The elevator exists, but so does a very good chance of getting stuck in it. Again)

Unfortunately, I only got two actual workout days in during the week. So, not my goal, but didn't do less than in the past. Still, room for improvement.

I was armying again this weekend, so it makes it hard NOT to buy things, like food, but outside of that I kept the budget very much under control. It felt good, I didn't feel like I should be guilty about anything, and was able to move on with my day, albeit a bit hungover (this is what happens when you run into your 1st SGT at the pub saturday night.) I'm not off to a great start with a starbucks stop this morning. I need... something? to help control this, cause it's definitely impulsive. 

The daily stretching is starting to payoff. My run saturday night did not bother my shoulder much at all. I'm also getting better at keeping my shoulder and upper back relaxed. 

Let's kick this week off with a bang, shall we?

Aim To Misbehave - Firefly GIF - Firefly Misbehave AimToMisbehave GIFs

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

yowwwwwch! my legs hurt looking at that tabata.

It was rough, but not brutal. The squat jumps after 3 rounds of holds sucked, but otherwise I was full bore on the rest of them. I totally believe you could do them.

39 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

what do you get/need at starbucks? anything you can pre-plan for and start creating small habits to make it easier to NOT go?

To put it in perspective. I made coffee this morning. Then bought more coffee at starbucks. I also bought a breakfast sammich. WHile I had food at work, albeit milk and cereal, and whey powder.

It may sound stupid, but I wonder if daily meditation would help with impulsive purchases? I only mention it because I personally find myself making unplanned purchases when I'm discontent for some reason and have a gap or uncomfortable feeling to pave over. So maybe you could meditate on the feeling of having enough and being complete in the moment, nothing missing. And then have a phrase to say that reminds you of that feeling when you walk past the tempting spots. Because if it helps you keep walking for even 20 seconds, how likely are you to turn around and go back?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Harriet said:

It may sound stupid, but I wonder if daily meditation would help with impulsive purchases? I only mention it because I personally find myself making unplanned purchases when I'm discontent for some reason and have a gap or uncomfortable feeling to pave over. So maybe you could meditate on the feeling of having enough and being complete in the moment, nothing missing. And then have a phrase to say that reminds you of that feeling when you walk past the tempting spots. Because if it helps you keep walking for even 20 seconds, how likely are you to turn around and go back?

How likely? I just did this like an hour ago. Went and got a milk tea and a macaron AFTER I had walked passed the store and spot where I would normally turn. I was annoyed at myself, for even as I was heading there, I knew it was a bad idea and still went.

I'll give the meditation thing a shot. I just need to find an app or meditative podcast that doesn't equate to spiritualness because that does absolutely nothing for me. Or the clear your mind stuff. If I could clear my mind I wouldn't need meditation.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grumble said:

How likely? I just did this like an hour ago.

Ahh, well if you're wilfully planning macaroons  then it's more serious than a temporary lapse. 

51 minutes ago, Grumble said:

If I could clear my mind I wouldn't need meditation.

That's sort of like saying if I could pull 400 pounds I wouldn't need to work out. Mindfulness meditation is very hard and annoying when you first start. But every time you pull your attention back to your breath (or whatever), you've used your focus muscle and made it a smidgen stronger. You also... sort of "shed" little bits of unimportant brain lint that have been building up in your brain pockets. At least, that's how I feel. 

I'm not into spiritual stuff either (unless it's my own invented prayers to the spirits of the earth, beseeching them to grant me valour and equanimity), but mindfulness meditation has been a good antidote to those nagging feelings that something is wrong, which some of us are tempted to fill with wine. Or macaroons. Ahem, I don't want to push you if you think it's not for you. But one that I liked was "Guided Meditations for Busy People" by Bodhipaksa. Bodhipaksa is the good twin of the evil vampire Bodhi, from Baldur's Gate II. He has an oddly soothing, scottish accent, and doesn't push any spirituality on you. I mostly used the first 5 meditations on the album, which are about 7 or 8 minutes long. Nowadays I just do 5 minutes of unguided meditation. Another Nerd suggested headspace, which is non-religious and has different guided meditations on offer. I think it has a free trial, so that might be your best option if you're not sure.

Another thought, just quietly spending time in nature has a similar protective effect against nagging feelings of wrongness for me personally. Just a possibility in case you can't even with meditation. 

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ahh, well if you're wilfully planning macaroons  then it's more serious than a temporary lapse. 

It wasn't willful so much as setting myself up for failure. All I had to do was make a left turn instead of a right and avoided the whole thing.

That's sort of like saying if I could pull 400 pounds I wouldn't need to work out.

I see what you're saying, and I think I may have misspoke. (Also, I can pull that much and I stopped to go run a marathon, so what the hell do I know?)

Many of the meditation apps I've used, even the ones "designed for beginners" all start with "clear your mind" with little or no help on the how part of that. 

Mindfulness meditation is very hard and annoying when you first start. But every time you pull your attention back to your breath (or whatever), you've used your focus muscle and made it a smidgen stronger. You also... sort of "shed" little bits of unimportant brain lint that have been building up in your brain pockets. At least, that's how I feel. 

Interesting. 

I'm not into spiritual stuff either (unless it's my own invented prayers to the spirits of the earth, beseeching them to grant me valour and equanimity), but mindfulness meditation has been a good antidote to those nagging feelings that something is wrong, which some of us are tempted to fill with wine. Or macaroons. Ahem, I don't want to push you if you think it's not for you. But one that I liked was "Guided Meditations for Busy People" by Bodhipaksa. Bodhipaksa is the good twin of the evil vampire Bodhi, from Baldur's Gate II. He has an oddly soothing, scottish accent, and doesn't push any spirituality on you. I mostly used the first 5 meditations on the album, which are about 7 or 8 minutes long. Nowadays I just do 5 minutes of unguided meditation. Another Nerd suggested headspace, which is non-religious and has different guided meditations on offer. I think it has a free trial, so that might be your best option if you're not sure.

I might try headspace. I've looked at the app a handful of times without actually using it.

I know somebody that has the Bodhipaksa audio, so I'll borrow it from them first. I cant justify 15 bucks for something I might not like.

Another thought, just quietly spending time in nature has a similar protective effect against nagging feelings of wrongness for me personally. Just a possibility in case you can't even with meditation. 

One of the downsides of living in Los Angeles, there's not much nature nearby, albeit it is one of my favorite ways to get away and where I have done all of my writing.

17 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Disclaimer: this is a lie, sorry. 

I don't care. This is now my truth.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I see what you're saying, and I think I may have misspoke. (Also, I can pull that much and I stopped to go run a marathon, so what the hell do I know?)

Many of the meditation apps I've used, even the ones "designed for beginners" all start with "clear your mind" with little or no help on the how part of that. 

.....I picked a weight so far above what I can lift that it would be absurd to even imagine it. Sigh.

Oh, okay. If they just say "now use your mind to levitate" without saying how, that's kind of stupid. You have to focus on something, like your breathing, and just bring your mind back to it whenever you notice it wandering (noticing that your mind has wandered is also a muscle that can be very weak at first). It also helps if you first spend a few moments non-judgementally noticing sounds and sensations so they're less distracting when you start focusing. I like Bodhipaksa because he's non judgemental and sometimes reminds me to focus just as I'm getting distracted. Also, I only do like 5 or 6 minutes per day because I'm not sure more is more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

noticing that your mind has wandered is also a muscle that can be very weak at first

Mind. Fucking. Blown. Ive never actually thought of it like a "weak" muscle. 

You may have completely flipped my script.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Grumble said:

It wasn't willful so much as setting myself up for failure. All I had to do was make a left turn instead of a right and avoided the whole thing.

berating yourself for something you're body obviously wants pretty badly isn't going to help. i have success not buying extra snacks when i know i have a variety at home or at work to choose from. protein powder probably isn't going to cut it if you want a bfast sandwich and a bfast sandwich isn't going to cut it if you want a macaroon.

11 hours ago, Grumble said:

@Harriet speaks truth! it's absolutely a muscle to be worked on.

11 hours ago, Grumble said:

Haha. Grumble, I'm currently in a phase where I'm trying to view everything as like lifting-- improvable through consistent effort--because seeing things as fixed and innate has been seriously limiting my hopes and ambitions. When I started lifting, it was a revelation because the progress is so clear and legible. Not like wondering "has my painting actually gotten worse?" or "am I getting stupider as I age?", because the plates say NO, you got exactly 5 pounds stronger. Talent helpful, but not required. So yeah, everything is a muscle, woooo. 

• Like 1

Only had a half hour to workout yesterday, so I did a quick arms and core session. Eventually I'll dial in my schedule, hard to do when you're working on the weekend, but Sunday is two days before my next run, making it the ideal leg day. Which it will, because I haven't done squats in a month. One observation I had, since most of my work is going to be running, I'm probably not going to be seeing 1rm lifts. Instead, I'm going to ease off the very heavy lifts and absolutely dial in my form. I know I can improve, so why not take the opportunity and do so. 

Lifting sessions: 1/3

As mentioned earlier, I had a bad day to start the week. I think I ended it well. grimble had dance monday night and normally while she's warming up in class, I head over to the bakery and get an egg tart. (how TF am I still 240?) I did not do that. Definitely some willpower invovled, but as with anything, willpower can become discipline, which can become habit. Off to a good start. I thought HARD about getting egg bites from sbux, then egg mcmuffin from McD's, then drove past both and had cereal. I like hot food in the morning, I need to go back to mealprepping my breakfasts.

Self Control: 1/?

While I was doing my arm stuff yesterday, I was working on getting that stretch workout in, ie doing overhead cable curls and bringing the cable above and beyond my head and my shoulder never bothered me. I also started doing Overhead Squats with the PVC bar, it's letting me work on form and mobility without needing to worry about weight, even just bar weight. It helps.

Stretching: 1/7

20 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

berating yourself for something you're body obviously wants pretty badly isn't going to help. i have success not buying extra snacks when i know i have a variety at home or at work to choose from. protein powder probably isn't going to cut it if you want a bfast sandwich and a bfast sandwich isn't going to cut it if you want a macaroon.

Hey, I if I wanted your common sense I would have posted asking... Oh. Carry on!

20 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

@Harriet speaks truth! it's absolutely a muscle to be worked on.

I knew that, but I generally like to think I use my brain, so I don't think of it as weak. But, like any muscle, just because it's strong doing one thing, doesn't mean it's strong in all the ways of utilizing it.

• Like 2