• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grumble

Grumble gets Shiny

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

How likely? I just did this like an hour ago. Went and got a milk tea and a macaron AFTER I had walked passed the store and spot where I would normally turn. I was annoyed at myself, for even as I was heading there, I knew it was a bad idea and still went.

When I'm impulsively buying myself "treat-like" things -- unnecessary purchases for food or snacks I already have, fancy coffees, etc. -- it's often because I've been feeling stressed or down about something and am seeking to distract myself with these nice things. Other times, it's because I'm feeling REBELLIOUS against the idea of food rules, budgets, or other structures and am trying to reclaim some spontaneity. In the first situation, I'd probably be better served hunkering down and directly addressing whatever it is that is stressing me out. In the second, it's a sign maybe I need to give myself a bit more of a break and relax. 

I doubt you are just doing it just to do it. Think a bit on how you've been feeling more broadly and it might give you some answers. :)

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I thought HARD about getting egg bites from sbux, then egg mcmuffin from McD's, then drove past both and had cereal. I like hot food in the morning, I need to go back to mealprepping my breakfasts.

Definitely get back on the egg train for work! If you've been really hankering for these things, you'd have much better success with a more direct analog immediately available at work (via meal prep, etc.). Plus eggs have a lot of good stuff going on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raptron said:

When I'm impulsively buying myself "treat-like" things -- unnecessary purchases for food or snacks I already have, fancy coffees, etc. -- it's often because I've been feeling stressed or down about something and am seeking to distract myself with these nice things. Other times, it's because I'm feeling REBELLIOUS against the idea of food rules, budgets, or other structures and am trying to reclaim some spontaneity. In the first situation, I'd probably be better served hunkering down and directly addressing whatever it is that is stressing me out. In the second, it's a sign maybe I need to give myself a bit more of a break and relax. 

I doubt you are just doing it just to do it. Think a bit on how you've been feeling more broadly and it might give you some answers. :)

Work has been stressful, doing some paperwork that has disastrous potential if I do it too wrong. (Not immediately, and I have plenty of time to make improvements on problems I come across). i am probably feeling rebellious. I despise externally imposed restriction, even from my wife. I think I always do worse just before and after my army weekend. (I'm actively stressing out talking about this, related. 288 days.)

Definitely get back on the egg train for work! If you've been really hankering for these things, you'd have much better success with a more direct analog immediately available at work (via meal prep, etc.). Plus eggs have a lot of good stuff going on. 

Yea, I bought some more eggs on my lunch, I genuinely enjoy them for breakfast and they always seem to do the trick for being satisfied.

• Like 2

I like the idea that our brains are another form of muscle we can work on. :)

23 hours ago, Grumble said:

I knew that, but I generally like to think I use my brain, so I don't think of it as weak. But, like any muscle, just because it's strong doing one thing, doesn't mean it's strong in all the ways of utilizing it.

The brain isn't just one muscle though. It has the Concentration Muscles, the Language Muscles, the Math Muscles, the Problem Solving Muscles, and all the other ones. The ones we use at work every day are by necessity well developed, but there's really nothing in the world most of us live in, that naturally encourages development of the Mindfulness Muscles. It stands to reason then, that it would be weaker than the others, and need us to start very slow and with a lot of patience, when we start to work on it.

And there's a good chance that I was the nerd who recommended Headspace. That app is where I got my conviction that mindfullness is a skill that can be learned,  an learned patience with the inevitable learning curve that comes with all new skills we try to obtain. I occasionally return to the free trial, but the bulk of my meditation these days is through Insight Timer. It has a large library of free guided meditation sessions, and user settings that lets you filter out the ones that are either religious or spiritual in theme.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

And there's a good chance that I was the nerd who recommended Headspace. That app is where I got my conviction that mindfullness is a skill that can be learned,  an learned patience with the inevitable learning curve that comes with all new skills we try to obtain. I occasionally return to the free trial, but the bulk of my meditation these days is through Insight Timer. It has a large library of free guided meditation sessions, and user settings that lets you filter out the ones that are either religious or spiritual in theme.

I tried it. I like it. I've been using it for the last few days. I haven't noticed much, but what I have is my brain being, just a little quieter, a little better to focus. Not giving in to my multitasking mind as often as I used to. It definitely helps. But it's a trial. I'm gonna take a look at Insight Timer next week.

• Like 3

my brain being, just a little quieter, a little better to focus

That's your Mindfulness Muscles growing stronger....!

Glad to hear you like Headspace. If you have Alexa, you can activate the Headspace skill and get one free ten-minute session every day, no additional subscription required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried it. I like it. I've been using it for the last few days. I haven't noticed much, but what I have is my brain being, just a little quieter, a little better to focus. Not giving in to my multitasking mind as often as I used to. It definitely helps. But it's a trial. I'm gonna take a look at Insight Timer next week.

Wow, you got started already! Awesome skills! Today I tried extra hard not to let my mind wander too much during my very short meditation because I read that mindfulness meditation changes the expression of GENES that promote inflammation in the body (and therefore, maybe possibly depression). I want that magic epigenetic medicine.

• Like 1

I've had my perceptions fucked with twice this week (brain as a muscle (or multiple muscles) and looking at improvement as a skill tree). Ya'll have done nothing but enrich my life, so thanks for that. You also make me think more like an adult, which is some serious bullshit. Bah.

It feels good to be back in the groove of working out (almost) every day. 

RUN

16:17, Tuesday November 06, 2018
3.01 mi
27:58 mins
9'18" pace
157 bpm
530 cals

This run sucked. I *think* it should have been faster, but I was working on improving my cadence, in this case my ability to turn over my legs faster, and I think I've surpassed my noob gains on this one. I made it to 146 SPM previously. I can (un)comfortably run at that speed for multiple miles. Bumped it up to 150 today and got my ass kicked. Slowest 3 miles I've run since September.

RUN

18:38, Wednesday November 07, 2018
3.01 mi
27:17 mins
9'04" pace
149 bpm
538 cals

Dialed it back a little bit last night just to enjoy my new audiobook while I ran. 3rd best pace and best HR to date. Couldn't be more pleased.

I don't know if I am going to get my 2nd workout in, which would normally be tomorrow, or if I'm going to count my massage as my 2nd. 

Who cares. I'm getting a massage tomorrow.

Lifting: 1/3

After my disaster Tuesday, I've managed to make it two days without buying a bunch of crap. Today has been less good.

Self Control: 2/7

Stretching continues to improve. moved my grip in about an inch on the PVC. Also, I can now sit comfortably in a full squat, getting in touch with my inner preschooler. Eventual goal is to be able to just hang out down there as comfortably as I could be standing up.

I'm trying to be like a successful kickstarter #stretchgoals

Stretching: 3/7

Wash Wacky GIF - Wash Wacky Fun GIFs

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I can now sit comfortably in a full squat, getting in touch with my inner

Woot on what I've heard called 'the third world squat'...love the preschooler image...

third-world-squat.jpg

When I'm home, or sometimes just for fun, assume that position...I can sit there for about a minute or so and still get up. Guess I should be working on my endurance there, still prefer standing than squatted down, but it is fun (i also sometimes try to pick stuff up this way, instead of bending over, easyish way to incorporate the movement into your day)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, farflight said:

Woot on what I've heard called 'the third world squat'..

That's what I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember the name. I'm definitely close to that. End goal is to be able to OHS with excellent form. 

Happy Tuesday. 

Late start this week, but had a busy end of the week that definitely detracted from my online time spending.

Southern California is on fire. Again. We ended up hosting some friends who got evac'd. Everything turned out alright, but helping to keep a 5 yr old happy when they just got their birthday party canceled is trying.

Also, that killed my saturday morning run when I went outside and the whole city smelled like an overused campfire. I noped right back inside. At least Sunday i got in 7 miles at Disneyland in what turned out to be an excellent day.

Monday was a rest day, and I took it of for Veterans day, so I did what any good Vet would do, projects for their partner. Mrs Grumble decided we needed to change out a display cabinet in the dining room, so I shanghaied the brother-in-law and got it done. At least the free food was worth it.

And getting back into the thick of things, I'm doubling up on my workouts. Doing one of my new favorite routines, a full body landmine workout, and following it up another 3 mile run. Plans to run at an easy 9:15 pace. (I can't quite believe I just typed that with sincerity) I'll get back on the posting train tomorrow with results.

Stretching continues to improve. I finally made it to parallel in a sumo stance! Next goal is to keep a vertical back in OHS practice. That's gonna take a while. 

Related, groupon massage sucked. Need another massage to recover from that one. Balls.

Considering this weekend, I'm surprised I didn't buy everything. And I barely bought anything! I bought so little I can even track it still. (Obviously not counting meals) A churro, and... that's it. I can't speak for grimbles adopted aunt, who bought her a minnie mouse, stitch, and some pins, although i did buy her a lightsaber (not extraneous, lightsabers are serious business) that not only did she ask for, but chose to build herself. I'll let you judge whether she's proud of herself or not.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

• Like 4

Awwww, is that your own halfling? She's adorable. And getting to build one's own stuff as a kid is awesome. All she needs is someone to duel with. Gotta start learning those combat skills early. Ooops, I mean, um, clearly violence is wrong and I would never encourage it, um, maybe she can watch a heartwarming film about cooperation and teamwork instead. 

Yeah, I'm not sure how seriously to take the unhealthy air quality warnings here in the bay area. All I know is I'm sick of staying inside and I want to go walkies.

So terrible about the fires - glad you're in a position to help out friends. stay safe!

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

Related, groupon massage sucked. Need another massage to recover from that one. Balls.

well that sucks. i had that experience with groupon one too many times and started researching the vendor outside of groupon before deciding to buy. i actually rarely buy from groupon anymore unless i know exactly what i'm getting.

9 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

So terrible about the fires - glad you're in a position to help out friends. stay safe!

Thanks, fortunately we're near the less deadly fire. I can't even imagine a fire bad enough to destroy a town.

9 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

well that sucks. i had that experience with groupon one too many times and started researching the vendor outside of groupon before deciding to buy. i actually rarely buy from groupon anymore unless i know exactly what i'm getting.

Yea, this has definitely turned me off for most groupons.

17 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Awwww, is that your own halfling? She's adorable. And getting to build one's own stuff as a kid is awesome.

Yea, Disneyland has a BYOL station and I set out all the pieces for her, everything on there except the base handle is grimble chosen. And yea, she's pretty darn cute.

All she needs is someone to duel with. Gotta start learning those combat skills early. Ooops, I mean, um, clearly violence is wrong and I would never encourage it, um, maybe she can watch a heartwarming film about cooperation and teamwork instead. 

What do you mean needs? We dueled Monday in the backyard. I won, but only because my force powers are more keenly developed and she couldn't reach me on the roof.

Yeah, I'm not sure how seriously to take the unhealthy air quality warnings here in the bay area. All I know is I'm sick of staying inside and I want to go walkies.

Bay area? You should be fine, The Camp Fire is over 150 miles from frisco-ish. 

THE SHEER JOY OF LIGHTSABER WIELDING! 

It was followed up by this scene 45 minutes later.

Image may contain: one or more people, people sleeping, child and indoor

Learning to wield the force is tiring business.

• Like 3

On 11/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, Grumble said:

I just need to find an app or meditative podcast that doesn't equate to spiritualness because that does absolutely nothing for me. Or the clear your mind stuff. If I could clear my mind I wouldn't need meditation.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I like Insight Timer. There is a timer  (duh!) you can set with different sounds, and there are some teachers. My favorite is Tony Brady; he does sometimes make spiritual references, but they are more in the context of just being a good human being rather than in a particular tradition  (i.e., he borrows from everyone). He's Irish, so bonus for the accent. :) Kind of comes off like a sensible Irish grandpa giving common sense advice. 

• Like 1

SO much for the daily updates. Ah well, we have another challenge upon so lets wrap this one up and see how we can improve next time.

In the short and sweet.

Finished my 10k in 1:03. I'm calling this a win, I was 11 minutes past what I planned, but I did not plan for a 1000ft elevation gain over the course of the run. But it's still my fastest 10k to date, so I'm super happy with the results.

I also learned I need to trail run more.

Managed to keep up with the two lifts a week, and added a bodyweight session at home to get the time in. Stronger is stronger, doesn't matter whether its with barbells or bodyweights.

Guess what. I ran my farthest distance with this training yet and my shoulder never hurt. The stretching will continue until morale improves.

The self control on buying shit was hit and miss. I had some good days, had some bad days. More bad than good, but thanks to you wonderful people I've started to learn some of what are my triggers for shopping. Conversation is good for the soul, and apparently the wallet too.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Harriet said:

So you tried headspace? That's awesome. I might try it, too, especially since I think there's a free trial :)

I did, and I liked it. And if you have alexa, as @scalyfreak mentioned, it's a free on there forever. I haven't used it enough to see how often it repeats, but right now, I'm super pleased. I even used what I've learned to shut my brain off last night to go to sleep when it wanted to get in touch with it's inner zoomies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I did, and I liked it. And if you have alexa, as @scalyfreak mentioned, it's a free on there forever. I haven't used it enough to see how often it repeats, but right now, I'm super pleased. I even used what I've learned to shut my brain off last night to go to sleep when it wanted to get in touch with it's inner zoomies.

What are zoomies?

53 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

congrats on the 10K!! that is a hell of an elevation gain.

It really was, Particularly a consecutive mile and a half near the beginning and a half mile at the very end that was almost 500ft itself. It suuucked.