• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Snarkyfishguts

Mindfulness gets Snarky

Someone barfed at storytime today. 

That’s an awesome way to begin a challenge, right? 

Everybody barfs.

Challenge goals. Right.  Last challenge, I worked on boundaries and mindfulness, and this challenge, I want to hone that a little more.

1. Mindfulness of food. Not just what I’m eating but appreciating the smells, the feel, the taste of food. Paying attention to how I feel after I eat it. 

2. Setting boundaries for work. With a new job it’s easy to get sucked into working all the time, and thinking about work all the time. Every day I’m going to do have a mindful step away from work and into relaxation. Maybe I’ll need more time to step away, and will need to exercise, meditate, whatever helps me quiet my brain.

3. Remember to play. Being a grown up is a serious business. I see kids playing and its a fun learning experience. Not everything is a chore, and I’m going to find joy in everyday living and create fun opportunities. 

• Like 5

In Story Time, we often do a practice round of a song before we really sing it. Today felt like a good practice round. 

Leaving work at work today is a challenge. I got into a  groove at work, and I really couldve just kept going, but I knew it was time to go home. I’m so tired, but this was the last week of being clerk and youth services at the same time, so I can get more done while I’m there, and leave it there hopefully with more ease :)

I have decided to get my flu shot tomorrow. So many kids come in sick, and I dont want the flu!

• Like 3

love your goal of playing more. What will this look like?

9 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I have decided to get my flu shot tomorrow. So many kids come in sick, and I dont want the flu!

This is a very very good decision. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deftona said:

love your goal of playing more. What will this look like?

Have you ever gotten to a frame of mind where everything becomes a chore, even the things you used to enjoy doing? I find myself saying “i’m going to work on this knitting project” or “I’m going to really buckle down and practice italian” or “I have to meet my friends, and hopefully I’ll have enough time to take a nap afterwards” or “today I am going to work really hard at relaxing and being happy” 

work really hard at relaxing? Ugh. And I watched children at storytime and realized they are learning so much through play and enjoyment. They dont just want to out their toys away, That’s boring. They want to find all the cylinder blocks, then all the square ones and take their time to put them away so it all fits. They want to say goodbye to their favorite puppets and hop on giant bear one more time. They want to really look at books and they also really want to rush to the end. They like silly sounds and twirling and glue and they LOVE THE COLOR BLUE (or red,green) and hop up and down shouting “BLUE IS THE BEST!”  They run and gallop and crouch and chase each other or hide in a corner and look at the pictures in a book. But as soon as it’s work, they drag to a stop and figure out how can this be more fun? More messy?  More dancey? Maybe play is the work of children, but I think it should also be the work of adults. That it doesnt have to be perfect, it just has to mean something to us. It isnt judgmental, it isnt passive, and it isnt proper. It’s active, imaginative, silly and sometimes very loud. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

work really hard at relaxing? Ugh. And I watched children at storytime and realized they are learning so much through play and enjoyment. They dont just want to out their toys away, That’s boring. They want to find all the cylinder blocks, then all the square ones and take their time to put them away so it all fits. They want to say goodbye to their favorite puppets and hop on giant bear one more time. They want to really look at books and they also really want to rush to the end. They like silly sounds and twirling and glue and they LOVE THE COLOR BLUE (or red,green) and hop up and down shouting “BLUE IS THE BEST!”  They run and gallop and crouch and chase each other or hide in a corner and look at the pictures in a book. But as soon as it’s work, they drag to a stop and figure out how can this be more fun? More messy?  More dancey? Maybe play is the work of children, but I think it should also be the work of adults. That it doesnt have to be perfect, it just has to mean something to us. It isnt judgmental, it isnt passive, and it isnt proper. It’s active, imaginative, silly and sometimes very loud. 

I like this approach. It's so easy to lose that innocence as we grow older. I think it does take work, and mindfulness, to get it back. It is possible. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Have you ever gotten to a frame of mind where everything becomes a chore, even the things you used to enjoy doing? I find myself saying “i’m going to work on this knitting project” or “I’m going to really buckle down and practice italian” or “I have to meet my friends, and hopefully I’ll have enough time to take a nap afterwards” or “today I am going to work really hard at relaxing and being happy” 

I love this!

I watch the kids at school during their lunch break. The first 15 minutes is play time outside. An adult would go sit on a bench and talk, maybe have a coffee. And maybe stress about what the other person thinks about them :p But the kids just mount the play things and get a good workout in without it feeling like a chore. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

I like this approach. It's so easy to lose that innocence as we grow older. I think it does take work, and mindfulness, to get it back. It is possible. 

I agree with you! It’s not something that comes naturally to me anymore, and practice is gonna be great. 

4 hours ago, Terah said:

I love this!

I watch the kids at school during their lunch break. The first 15 minutes is play time outside. An adult would go sit on a bench and talk, maybe have a coffee. And maybe stress about what the other person thinks about them :p But the kids just mount the play things and get a good workout in without it feeling like a chore. 

It feels good to move :)

I went through a funk yesterday.  Everything was really hard, and I figured out at the end of the day what happened. My mom is reading a book where she complains that the main character is in this relationship that is similar to a relationship I had with “what’s that guy’s name!” And I remembered, and then I remembered a lot of things and it brought me back to an emotional ravine in my heart. Just sitting there and acknowledging what was happening in myself was helpful. I could move forward after that. 

So today I feel like me again, less funky. Dad and I will run errands and then he's making apple pie and ice cream for dinner. Which yeah, sounds amazing.  I’m going to clean and prepare for next week. I feel like I finally have time again to do things. If Things continue this way, I’ll have three longer days at the library and four day weekends. Which is brilliant for illustration and having a life. 

I think the people in my life at work and home are finally understanding I need introvert time to recharge my batteries. Especially my parents are understanding that I need to be separate from them at times and just let my mind sort through the week. And I’m learning that I need to find worth within myself outside of my job, both the library job and the illustration career. 

• Like 3

Checking in...

I lost four pounds last week! Paying attention to my food has been wonderful. I did have a relapse into emotional eating yesterday when I ate my dad’s apple pie. He made it with wheat flour and it was heavier than expected. I shouldve stopped but I let my fear of upsetting him conquer the feeling of “THAT’s ENOUGH PIE”

Back to fruits and veggies, and today, I bought cookbook for like two bucks on amazon called the anti inflammatory slow cooker book. I love slow cookers.  And I am feeling better. 

Leaving work at work was difficult. I promised myself I would work today to prepare for this week, and I am so glad I did. I think this week, I will get as much done as possible so I can relax this weekend without that feeling of not quite finished. MUST COMPLETE PROJECT AT WORK.  But once I started projects at home, and had so much more time at home, I could finally put work out of mind and my closet looks AMAZING. 

I’ve been on Dad duty the last couple days.  It was easier this time. I had more me time. And I could make a nice game of our errands and we worked together well. This is where being a kid and having fun really paid off. We had fun in places that are frustrating to him, like grocery stores. We talked in silly voices and we bought frivolous things like Mickey Mouse shaped Goldfish crackers. Everything was an adventure.  Today I am tired. Having the afternoon to  myself will be wonderful.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Everything was an adventure.  Today I am tired.

This is the tricky part about trying to be a kid again as an adult.  But that's no excuse not to play.  We jsut need to balance with peaceful times.  Congrats on the weight loss last week! 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 3:32 PM, Shello said:

This is the tricky part about trying to be a kid again as an adult.  But that's no excuse not to play.  We jsut need to balance with peaceful times.  Congrats on the weight loss last week! 

I agree with you!  And thanks!

Today, I'm a bit frayed around the edges. 

I WAS NOT MINDFUL THIS WEEK. 

Oh and I'm paying for it today. I'm exhausted, and I can't stop yet. I need to sit down with my calendar and plan out the next week so I can feel the reassurance of a plan. A warm comforting blanket that is a well-planned week. :)

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2018 at 2:55 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I need to sit down with my calendar and plan out the next week so I can feel the reassurance of a plan. A warm comforting blanket that is a well-planned week. :)

Totally identifying with this! I need my loose to-do list to stay sane ^_^

How's your week looking then?

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nol said:

Totally identifying with this! I need my loose to-do list to stay sane ^_^

How's your week looking then?

tenor.gif

Pretty good, thanks!  Actually.... thats not true. It looks insane. Just.... insane. But knowing that, I can plan for some introvert recovery time. Yessssssssss.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sharks are swimming in this week, and I am not at my best today.  

I Lost 1.5 pounds last week, bringing me right under 270 pounds. This is a huge victory to finally break out of the 270’s. I really thought I was going to gain weight back after some poor food choices. Whew.

I think the biggest difference is that I’m sleeping through the night. I’m a little more active through the day, but I’ve stopped eating anything after dinner, and I sleep through the night.  Mom says my eating habits have changed a lot, but I haven’t been writing anything down, so....I dunno?  I’m never hungry except before meals, so I’m eating enough.  I think the escape from the diet mindset has been pretty huge too.

well.I better go get some stuff done before the crazy begins again. Have a great week :)

• Like 4

Today I started working out in earnest. Details in the log of battles. 

I took the day off from the library. I felt sick when I woke up. What happened to October? I feel like my life is becoming blurry again, and I really want to slow down. I'm not having fun, and that's not in the spirit of this challenge at all!  

So here we go. Back to the challenge. Back to mindful eating, back to setting boundaries at work, which I HAVE NOT BEEN DOING, and remembering to find joy in the day.  

• Like 4

Wow, that's awesome!!

Sleeping well, no snacking in the evening, escaping the diet mindset... all sound like major shifts to me!

This is all great for a slow and steady weight-loss and remaining sane.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:00 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I took the day off from the library. I felt sick when I woke up. What happened to October? I feel like my life is becoming blurry again, and I really want to slow down. I'm not having fun, and that's not in the spirit of this challenge at all!  

So here we go. Back to the challenge. Back to mindful eating, back to setting boundaries at work, which I HAVE NOT BEEN DOING, and remembering to find joy in the day.  

Maybe it's time to put some music on and shake it? Always works for me ^_^

tenor.gif?itemid=8576953

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nol said:

Wow, that's awesome!!

Sleeping well, no snacking in the evening, escaping the diet mindset... all sound like major shifts to me!

This is all great for a slow and steady weight-loss and remaining sane.

Maybe it's time to put some music on and shake it? Always works for me ^_^

tenor.gif?itemid=8576953

YES. This is excellent. I dance Carlton style super well too! :D

• Like 1

Hello! 

I am babysitting my nephews this week. And cleaning my brother's house, because I am ALLERGIC to it. the dog isn't there, but i'm definitely allergic to it, and the dust. And the perfume my nephew sprays everywhere. 

But my nephews are awesome. I love spending time with them, and even though I'm pretty sure the house is going to kill me, they make it worth being there.

• Like 2

Well, the good news, i dont have allergies anymore. But I do have laryngitis! And the biggest booger just came out of my nose. It was like cone shaped. Just enormous.  I’m still hanging out with the nephews this week, and tonight is soup and grilled cheese. 

Guys I am so tired. I thought I would get work done this week, but being sick, I just take care of the kids, clean in the morning and sleep in the afternoon for two hours before the oldest gets home. How do parents do this? I am beat! 

Next week, I am back to work. And sleeping. A lot. Lol

This week was funny, because I feel like babysitting and living with my nephews has forced me to take this challenge on to new levels. 

1.  Mindfulness of food. Not just what I’m eating but appreciating the smells, the feel, the taste of food. Paying attention to how I feel after I eat it.  I think this one surprised me and my parents. I set up a “no screens at family meals” policy and it was really great. I had a chance to enjoy what I was eating, and Having my nephews for company filled my emotional hole in a new way so I felt fuller and didnt want to eat as much. Also colds are awesome appetite suppressants.. 

2. Setting boundaries from work   Not only have I not really thought about work this week, I don’t even WANT to think about work this week. Whew. My plate is full. And having the day bookended with kids, I spend my days doing chores in the morning and the afternoons relaxing. Although I napped today. Even better.

3. Remember to play. Being a grown up is a serious business. I see kids playing and its a fun learning experience. Not everything is a chore, and I’m going to find joy in everyday living and create fun opportunities. My nephews have helped me here tremendously. I have been able to let go and do silly dances with the youngest while we wait for the shower to heat up, stayed up watching comedians on youtube with the oldest and laughing at silly antics,and played games and just embraced the need for fun. I have turned chores into missions and quests, and learned the value of choosing your own underpants.:)

i am going to miss hanging out with these guys everyday. 

• Like 1