• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriets Year of Energy: Act II

52 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I think everyone deloads their squats more often than they want to, myself included. That said, form is EVERYTHING. Worship the Goddess of Form and pay her tribute by deloading and focusing on how you lift instead of how much.

Body weight squats are great for adjusting form and paying close attention to hip and knee alignment. Doing a dozen or so as warm-up before you do barbell squats, goes a really long way towards keeping your form on track.

Ah, the goddess of form must be a shapely wench indeed. And I can certainly incorporate some bodyweight squats as warm up. Thank you :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ah, the goddess of form must be a shapely wench indeed. And I can certainly incorporate some bodyweight squats as warm up. Thank you :)

Form is life. Form is love. Embrace Form. For She is all.

Use a mirror. You have a basic grasp of what good form looks like. See where your weaknesses are (ankles, hips, etc) and focus on those areas (stretching, strengthening with accessories). The squat mornings will go away eventually. Unless you're doing low bar, then you'll be doing them to a degree forever. 2mggm6.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grumble said:

The squat mornings will go away eventually. Unless you're doing low bar, then you'll be doing them to a degree forever. 

Wait, what? I'm definitely trying to do low bar. Are you saying there's a little bit of hips rising first in the low bar squat normally? 

12 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Wait, what? I'm definitely trying to do low bar. Are you saying there's a little bit of hips rising first in the low bar squat normally? 

Little bit. A lot of it is because the low bar squat requires you to push your butt back to keep the bar in line with your hips. Which then makes you bend over a little more, very much like the deadlift.

Our very own powerlifting jesus as a great video comparing high bar and low bar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

Little bit. A lot of it is because the low bar squat requires you to push your butt back to keep the bar in line with your hips. Which then makes you bend over a little more, very much like the deadlift.

Our very own powerlifting jesus as a great video comparing high bar and low bar.

Powerlifting Jesus, yay! Lol, you didn't mention there's a part where he drops his pants and mimes a low bar squat to demonstrate the incorrect way of defecating in the woods. That was my favourite bit :D

Okay, I've been doing as low as possible because I felt that warrior=powerlifter=low bar. But given that I feel my posterior chain is taking over and doing work I want my quads to do, it might be a good idea to try high bar and even front squats as well. I want balanced overall strength, and right now I feel my hams are pulling ahead of my quads. 

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Powerlifting Jesus, yay! Lol, you didn't mention there's a part where he drops his pants and mimes a low bar squat to demonstrate the incorrect way of defecating in the woods. That was my favourite bit :D

Why on earth would I ruin the surprise?

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Okay, I've been doing as low as possible because I felt that warrior=powerlifter=low bar. But given that I feel my posterior chain is taking over and doing work I want my quads to do, it might be a good idea to try high bar and even front squats as well. I want balanced overall strength, and right now I feel my hams are pulling ahead of my quads. 

You're still early in your lifting career, get that balance, you can always go back to low squat when you want to really focus on the PL only stuff or you start getting ready to do competitions.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

week 4 of challenge and CM finally finds Harriet! oops. sorry about that! read your OP and this page so I will go back and catch up later but i'm here now!

Hiiii! The more the merrier!

• Like 1

Wooo, got my 15 deadlifts in 3 sets. Unexpectedly stronger than last week. Maybe thanks to more aggressive approach and high volume light sets (just did over 40 reps at 50% of my heavies. It was hard in a different way). Will try 150 for first time next week.

Then didn't have much energy left for OHP. Felt sleepy and flat. Then flat and nauseous whilst doing my inverted rows. I skipped the dead hangs because yuck. 

I must find something to eat for breakfast other than milk & protein powder. Rolled oats might be a necessary deviation from my attempts to avoid unprocessed carbs. I just haven't felt like eating much in the mornings, and certainly not eggs. The day before yesterday I had eggs for lunch, was in pain and nauseous for a couple of hours, then threw up copiously and felt better. Why would you hurt me, eggs? 

49 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I must find something to eat for breakfast other than milk & protein powder. Rolled oats might be a necessary deviation from my attempts to avoid unprocessed carbs. I just haven't felt like eating much in the mornings, and certainly not eggs. The day before yesterday I had eggs for lunch, was in pain and nauseous for a couple of hours, then threw up copiously and felt better. Why would you hurt me, eggs? 

oh that's awful! i've been making a baked oatmeal but i do put 8 eggs in it for added protein. can you do greek yogurt though? with flax seed maybe and other fun stuff on top?

36 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

oh that's awful! i've been making a baked oatmeal but i do put 8 eggs in it for added protein. can you do greek yogurt though? with flax seed maybe and other fun stuff on top?

Cottage cheese and fruits is a pretty common lunch meal for me. I could do that or yoghurt for breakfast and swap something savoury for lunch. Mmmm, yoghurt is delicious. Will it power my OHP? Must try it and find out. 

I was wondering how you got to 5 pages so quickly since I last checked-in (although, admittedly, it's been too long since I did!), and then I saw the jeans conversation! haha!

I love it! And I get it! I found a pair of jeans that fit me just right last spring, for the first time EVER! It may seem vain but it's such a good feeling! The brand is Esprit (I know we have a similar body type so it might help).

This summer I also splurged on a pair of wide leg jeans with a high fitted waist, it's def what you'd call a statement piece, but man they're comfortable! I don't know that it's necessarily the most flattering on me (it does check the butt-flattering box), but I just feel so good when I wear them that I don't care!

The jeans (obviously looks different with big hips, but still gorgeous imo):

hearty-select_78216303

Try everything, you never know what will make you feel great :)

Also, you've been smashing this challenge!

ActualQuaintDoe-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nol said:

I was wondering how you got to 5 pages so quickly since I last checked-in (although, admittedly, it's been too long since I did!), and then I saw the jeans conversation! haha!

I love it! And I get it! I found a pair of jeans that fit me just right last spring, for the first time EVER! It may seem vain but it's such a good feeling! The brand is Esprit (I know we have a similar body type so it might help).

This summer I also splurged on a pair of wide leg jeans with a high fitted waist, it's def what you'd call a statement piece, but man they're comfortable! I don't know that it's necessarily the most flattering on me (it does check the butt-flattering box), but I just feel so good when I wear them that I don't care!

The jeans (obviously looks different with big hips, but still gorgeous imo):

hearty-select_78216303

Try everything, you never know what will make you feel great :)

Also, you've been smashing this challenge!

ActualQuaintDoe-max-1mb.gif

It's because I use it a bit like a journal and just update frequently.You  know,  "Today I squatted 105" "Today I ate eggs" "Today jeans are evil". You're absolutely right about the try everything. Imagination is no substitute for data. I haven't really been smashing the challenge, I've had a cold and dropped most of my quests except for the meditation and continuing with things I was already doing. Oh well, even one new habit is a win. 

• Like 1

Doom. Apocalypse and doom. The gym is closed tomorrow because of air pollution. There will be no squats, nor benches, nor inverted rows.

Doom also because of evil clothing shops designed to make me unhappy. Hidden because nobody should be obliged to read another rant about jeans and body image.

Spoiler

A courageous second attempt at shopping for jeans (or trousers) has crushed my self esteem into pulp. I can't tell if the mirrors and camera phone are lying to me, or if they're accurate but horrible. I don't think it's possible to be a 5'6" human from the front and a 4'6" lego brick with toothpick ankles from the back, though. Or maybe it is. I don't know any more. I also hate the empire of skinny, stretchy denim, and women's pants in general. Even the sodding "wide leg" trousers I tried were only wide from the knee down. Why? Why is everything for women designed to be tight? It seems like overweight men are allowed the dignity of pants that don't squeeze and showcase everything. I'd buy men's jeans but MY LEGS ARE TOO SHORT and now I'm typing in shouty caps letters and I want to cry.

39 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Doom also because of evil clothing shops designed to make me unhappy. Hidden because nobody should be obliged to read another rant about jeans and body image.

Hide contents

A courageous second attempt at shopping for jeans (or trousers) has crushed my self esteem into pulp. I can't tell if the mirrors and camera phone are lying to me, or if they're accurate but horrible. I don't think it's possible to be a 5'6" human from the front and a 4'6" lego brick with toothpick ankles from the back, though. Or maybe it is. I don't know any more. I also hate the empire of skinny, stretchy denim, and women's pants in general. Even the sodding "wide leg" trousers I tried were only wide from the knee down. Why? Why is everything for women designed to be tight? It seems like overweight men are allowed the dignity of pants that don't squeeze and showcase everything. I'd buy men's jeans but MY LEGS ARE TOO SHORT and now I'm typing in shouty caps letters and I want to cry.

Hidden because that's what we're doing now...?

Spoiler

I realize that it might be difficult to remember that the problem is with the jeans and not with you, so I'm going to volunteer to remember it on your behalf, so you don't have to worry about it. :) 

Skinny, stretchy denim is not your friend, it seems. That's because skinny and stretchy denim is wrong. You should avoid it, just to spite it.

Here is the important thing though: You don't have to wear pants, denim or otherwise. You can spend the rest of your life in maxi skirts, you can convert to yoga pants, you can do whatever you want... which by the way includes cutting off the long legs on men's jeans and force them to adapt to you. Most importantly, if shopping for pants makes you unhappy, don't do it. Take a break from clothes shopping and especially from pants. You can get back to it later, if you really want or need to. 

• Like 1

Hey, hi!

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Reveal hidden contents

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Reveal hidden contents

I realize that it might be difficult to remember that the problem is with the jeans and not with you, so I'm going to volunteer to remember it on your behalf, so you don't have to worry about it. :) 

Skinny, stretchy denim is not your friend, it seems. That's because skinny and stretchy denim is wrong. You should avoid it, just to spite it.

Here is the important thing though: You don't have to wear pants, denim or otherwise. You can spend the rest of your life in maxi skirts, you can convert to yoga pants, you can do whatever you want... which by the way includes cutting off the long legs on men's jeans and force them to adapt to you. Most importantly, if shopping for pants makes you unhappy, don't do it. Take a break from clothes shopping and especially from pants. You can get back to it later, if you really want or need to. 

I haven't been here much this challenge because <insert excuse> but I've been following along via e-mails. I was on my way in to offer advice and support, but I could sum it all up as ^what she said^ because every word of that is true.

A recent fashion-themed TedX Talk I enjoyed included the following lines: "She never did find that perfect pair of pants. Turns out, she doesn't like pants. She likes dresses." I'm going to go see if I can find that in case you are interested.

Spoiler

Even if you do love jeans, they are difficult, and you deserve to give yourself an absolute buttload crap-ton of grace about them. I have literally one brand of jean that does not make me a miserable unhappy Gemma, so that is all I buy ever because I don't deserve to be made a miserable unhappy Gemma by  overpriced fabric. Trying on other brands is self-flagellation. And the jeans that make me feel fabulous might - probably will - look like a potato sack on many other women.

If you want to find that perfect pair of jeans, treat it just like if you want to bench press a specific number of pounds. This is an unexpectedly difficult thing you are trying to do. It seems like it shouldn't be, but it is.  Trust the process. Trust that you will get there, or you will decide on your own that this is not the goal you want to chase right now. Understand that it takes time. More time than you want it to take. And pour grace and understanding ALL OVER YOURSELF every time you bravely try something and it doesn't work out exactly like you meant for it to.

It is really, really, very truly really NOT YOU. It's them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

It is really, really, very truly really NOT YOU. It's them.

The problem is, after seeing myself in the changing room mirrors, I can't pretend it's the jeans' fault any more. It's my shape. I just didn't realise it because I look normal from the front. I took some more photos from different angles, and I think the changing room mirrors are particularly evil and distorting. But still. I now think I should probably try to lose about 4kg.

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I will take a break. I don't even know what else might suit me and I feel embarrassed walking around in my current ill-fitting clothes, but I'll have a think about what might work. Thanks for being kind to me when I can't manage it myself. 

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

A recent fashion-themed TedX Talk I enjoyed included the following lines: "She never did find that perfect pair of pants. Turns out, she doesn't like pants. She likes dresses." I'm going to go see if I can find that in case you are interested.

If you want to find that perfect pair of jeans, treat it just like if you want to bench press a specific number of pounds. This is an unexpectedly difficult thing you are trying to do. It seems like it shouldn't be, but it is.  Trust the process. Trust that you will get there, or you will decide on your own that this is not the goal you want to chase right now. Understand that it takes time. More time than you want it to take. And pour grace and understanding ALL OVER YOURSELF every time you bravely try something and it doesn't work out exactly like you meant for it to.

Thanks for dropping in, and for the ted-talk. Her idea of dressing to feel authentic and powerful is good. I really struggle with not making being beautiful the most important goal, even if I know it's not right, even if I feel like I fail at it a lot of the time. Maybe I need to crowd it out with feeling powerful instead of trying to go cold turkey. I'm a bit short on grace at the moment, but thank you for the kind reminder.

28 minutes ago, Harriet said:

The problem is, after seeing myself in the changing room mirrors, I can't pretend it's the jeans' fault any more. It's my shape. I just didn't realise it because I look normal from the front.

Hold. The. Phone.

What exactly does "normal" look like? I used to be firmly convinced that it was "everyone except me" and since I'm almost 100% sure that you and I don't look the same, by my logic, you do look normal and the changing room mirrors are lying to you. It's still the jeans' fault, by the way. Absolutely and completely their fault. And since the completely fail at making you feel powerful (which also is their fault), you should break up with them and move on.

Think of it like shoe shopping... if you accidentally grabbed a pair that was two sizes two small, you would become annoyed at the shoes and you would exchange them for a pair in the correct size. You would not immediately assume that the problem is that your feet are the wrong size, and attempt to make them smaller. When you do feel ready to start shopping for clothes again, try to think of it that way. And remember Gemma's bench press comparison.  :)

Lastly, an article Metro published in 2016 about why jeans are the absolute worst. Just to remind you you're not alone in disliking them. And unlike what that article claims, no, they are NOT a mandatory part of a woman's wardrobe. Not if you don't want them to be. ;)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

What exactly does "normal" look like? I used to be firmly convinced that it was "everyone except me" and since I'm almost 100% sure that you and I don't look the same, by my logic, you do look normal and the changing room mirrors are lying to you. It's still the jeans' fault, by the way. Absolutely and completely their fault. And since the completely fail at making you feel powerful (which also is their fault), you should break up with them and move on.

Since you mentioned having longer legs, I think it very likely we do not look the exactly the same. I'm going to take "the changing room mirrors are lying to you" and hold on to it like a life vest until the evil feelings go away. 

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Lastly, an article Metro published in 2016 about why jeans are the absolute worst. Just to remind you you're not alone in disliking them. And unlike what that article claims, no, they are NOT a mandatory part of a woman's wardrobe. Not if you don't want them to be. ;)

Thank you for the article. And thank the spirits of the earth that someone else feels the same way. It's proof that I'm not mad. Or at least not uniquely mad, which would be quite lonely. 

Wheee, we hired a car and drove for 6 hours to get out of the "very unhealthy" air in the Bay Area. We are now at a nice beach place (I think it's a beach... it was so dark when we arrived that I must take it on faith). There are no barbells, but I guess some push ups, squats and shadowboxing would be better than nothing. Also, nature is relaxing, relaxing reduces stress hormones, and reducing stress hormones is part of my overall health and fitness goal. So it would be counterproductive to stress about the lack of barbells. It's practically my job to chill out. Oh, and my homework is to write a short story in 5 days to be critiqued by my class. Seems fine. I mean, short stories are short. 

• Like 1

Aaaaaah! Fresh air, sea breeze!!!

8b84e9fc103a07567706882707113d9395dff88a

I totally sympathise with you and your body issues! I still struggle with feeling too short, and envying people with long legs, or thin legs (but especially people with both).

The only thing trying clothes on at the store ever produces, is making me feel depressed and self-conscious :(

You're not alone, so many of us have this issue. My skinny, long-legged best friend envies my curves and small waist and it still seems weird to me that someone so lean and balanced with beautiful long legs could ever be unhappy about how they look, but they do!

I don't have solutions to share, just a warm internet hug and the belief that self-esteem can be built up, it just takes time :)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nol said:

You're not alone, so many of us have this issue. My skinny, long-legged best friend envies my curves and small waist and it still seems weird to me that someone so lean and balanced with beautiful long legs could ever be unhappy about how they look, but they do!

QFT.

It's very easy to forget that someone whose shape we look at with envy, looks at us the same way, just for different reasons. If you ask your tall friend, she'll probably express envy at your curves and cleavage, and she would completely fail to understand why someone who has these things she wants so badly, is unhappy about them.

I recently read a book (the title escapes me at the moment) where the female protagonist spent almost a page venting to the male one about how unfair it is that even the most beautiful of women is firmly convinced she is ugly, because of insecurities instilled in her by the society we live in, while even the most unappealing man finds it surprisingly easy to genuinely believe that he's hot and sexy, thanks to that very same society. At the time of reading it I thought the author was over-simplifying it and trying too hard to make her point, but there's a kernel of truth to the whole thing. The vast majority of women in today's "civilized" world would genuinely struggle if asked to make a list of the things we like about our physical appearance, because we are not used to looking at our own bodies as something beautiful. We're used to seeing them as "not good enough unless I change".

Yet another auto-pilot setting we need to change.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nol said:

Aaaaaah! Fresh air, sea breeze!!!

8b84e9fc103a07567706882707113d9395dff88a

I totally sympathise with you and your body issues! I still struggle with feeling too short, and envying people with long legs, or thin legs (but especially people with both).

The only thing trying clothes on at the store ever produces, is making me feel depressed and self-conscious :(

I don't have solutions to share, just a warm internet hug and the belief that self-esteem can be built up, it just takes time :)

giphy.gif

Thank you for internet hug :)
In fact I do have a friend who has complained about her lack of hips/butt, the things I have an abundance of. 

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

QFT.

It's very easy to forget that someone whose shape we look at with envy, looks at us the same way, just for different reasons. If you ask your tall friend, she'll probably express envy at your curves and cleavage, and she would completely fail to understand why someone who has these things she wants so badly, is unhappy about them.

I recently read a book (the title escapes me at the moment) where the female protagonist spent almost a page venting to the male one about how unfair it is that even the most beautiful of women is firmly convinced she is ugly, because of insecurities instilled in her by the society we live in, while even the most unappealing man finds it surprisingly easy to genuinely believe that he's hot and sexy, thanks to that very same society. At the time of reading it I thought the author was over-simplifying it and trying too hard to make her point, but there's a kernel of truth to the whole thing. The vast majority of women in today's "civilized" world would genuinely struggle if asked to make a list of the things we like about our physical appearance, because we are not used to looking at our own bodies as something beautiful. We're used to seeing them as "not good enough unless I change".

Yet another auto-pilot setting we need to change.

Lol, yes, there are plenty of men who never think twice about whether they're good enough. I think it's changing a little as advertisers are realising they can create and profit from body insecurity in men, as well. Two wrongs, eh? My mood is returning to normal, now that I'm away from the evil mirrors. I guess I should be patient and happy, and know that lifting and diet will continue making small positive changes to my figure.

• Like 1