• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Renatus Aurelius

René's Handstand Pushup - Oct 22 Challenge

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

As an aside, if you’re serious about gaining higher level handbalancing skills you might want to consider eventually adding flexibility training into the mix as that’s notoriously slow to develop.

I am, and will be looking at a more serious routine for flexibility very soon.  Currently I'm doing long, deep static stretches after workouts, and am specifically training toward a full straddle.  I'm abut 60% down.  Long, long way to go, but progress is pretty swift so I'm hopeful to be there in 6 months or so.  

Thanks Mad Hatter!  Im terrible at engaging with others on their own threads and stuff but I'll make it a point to check out what you've got going on, as well as the other commentors.  I just don't have much of value to add, so I often stay silent. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Renatus Aurelius said:

Long, long way to go, but progress is pretty swift so I'm hopeful to be there in 6 months or so.  

Noob gains FTW!

I'd be a little cautious about adding timeframes for skills and flexibility but if it motivates you then go for it. :) 

17 hours ago, Renatus Aurelius said:

Thanks Mad Hatter!  Im terrible at engaging with others on their own threads and stuff but I'll make it a point to check out what you've got going on, as well as the other commentors.  I just don't have much of value to add, so I often stay silent. 

Haha no worries, it's mostly a load of BS anyway. ;) 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 2:33 AM, Renatus Aurelius said:

I just don't have much of value to add, so I often stay silent. 

For the most part, discussions on threads are just chatter anyway.  Even chatter without adding value, it still builds the sense of community, so don't feel like you have to add value to join a conversation :) 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2018 at 1:20 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Yes I really don't recommend learning on carpet or grass or squishy surfaces in general. You need the finger tip sensitivity! 

This could be a big part of why I have such a hard time using fingers instead of my lower body to balance. I learned on gymanstics mats, but most of my handstands since then have been on grass, carpet or sand. Only recently have I started doing them on solid ground.

• Like 1

For the most part, discussions on threads are just chatter anyway.  Even chatter without adding value, it still builds the sense of community, so don't feel like you have to add value to join a conversation  

1000% this.

This community is such that you never know what kind of friendships, legit good life and fitness advice, etc. will flow out of ‘idle chatter’. It’s all part of the process, and even a thumbs-up is a good way to interact if you don’t have much to say.

Gifs also work

Re: compression clothing, yes! I’ve found the exact same thing when working on balance poses in yoga - something about the tightness reminds my body where it is and that my core should be tightened. Helps that I can actually feel my core in space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This could be a big part of why I have such a hard time using fingers instead of my lower body to balance.

Yep. I also think it's easier to develop a habit of walking to save balance instead of using the fingers.

17 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

Re: compression clothing, yes! I’ve found the exact same thing when working on balance poses in yoga - something about the tightness reminds my body where it is and that my core should be tightened. Helps that I can actually feel my core in space.

Huh, interesting. I've always preferred working out in leggings and a top but mostly because I hate when stuff gets in the way. Never thought compression clothes could give proprioceptive feedback.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2018 at 11:33 AM, Renatus Aurelius said:

I am, and will be looking at a more serious routine for flexibility very soon.  Currently I'm doing long, deep static stretches after workouts, and am specifically training toward a full straddle.  I'm abut 60% down.  Long, long way to go, but progress is pretty swift so I'm hopeful to be there in 6 months or so. 

Are you using a particular program for the straddle?