Lateral Planet Gets Serious

Lateral Planet

So in the last couple of months I've been good at sticking to an exercise plan but I've been a little too indulgent when it comes to nutrition stuff. As a result, I'm making progress in my weight loss but it's been very slow, at about one kilo (two pounds) per month all year. Time to kick things up a notch by getting serious about eating well!

Exercise Quests

1) Pushups challenge 3x a week

2) Beginner Bodyweight Workout 1x a week

Nutrition Quests

3) No junk food 6 days a week

4) No deep-fried food at all

Lifestyle Quests

5) Daily affirmation

6) Don't fall asleep on the couch

OK, so there's a lot more going on than just nutrition stuff, but those two challenges are going to be the hardest, I reckon. I've been letting myself snack a lot lately so I'm sort of going cold turkey to try and get that back under control. On the other hand, I love myself enough to allow myself a small treat once a week ;) I've also had quite a few chips (fries) in the last couple of weeks, so I probably could stand to do without for a while.

Exercise Quests are pretty standard. I've got an app that prescribes me a pushups workout, and I'm currently working up from doing 10 knee pushups to 20. Slow and steady! But I also want to do more general bodyweight stuff; I just haven't made the time for it lately. I also do a fair bit of running (meaning walks with intermittent jogging) with Zombies Run.

It's been a while since I did some miscellaneous quests. I'm pushing the boundaries of my comfort zone with the affirmation thing (anxiety's a bitch), but I thought I'd give it a try. There's a NF Academy quest tied to it, and Steve's email today was all about establishing a new identity and maybe some regular reminders of what I'm becoming couldn't hurt. Also, I want to regain control of my bedtime. It's very easy to get too comfy on the couch in the evening, under a blanket and a lap puppy! So I intend to be realistic about how sleepy I am (no more "Just one more episode") and actually go to bed when I ought to.

Phew, it's finally cooling down outside, time to get ready for the Zombies Run race! Wish me luck :D:D

• Like 3

I'm officially the 56th fastest person in the world! Well, 56 out of 90, and it's only the first day of the virtual race, but I'll take it ;)

1087105691_2018-10-1919_05_52.png.161fd9fc67dd635000682193c3ffe484.png

My actual time was 38:22, a full 1:40 faster than my previous personal best! But because it's a race they also count the three minutes I paused in the middle for a rest (my running buddy has little legs, I have to look after him!) Puppy and I are both currently sprawled out on the tiles of the dining room floor to cool down. We're absolutely knackered, but in a good way :D:D

• Like 3

Sure glad I went for that run yesterday because it's thunderstorms today and it'll probably keep raining all week! Did some pushups this morning and cleverly decided not to risk a walk because it just started bucketing down!

Had a treat yo' self morning as a reward for yesterday's performance. The posh op shop (fancy second-hand clothes) was having a sale so a couple of friends and I checked it out. I didn't find anything on sale but I got a new top and a dress anyway. Then we went to IKEA; apparently the jars I wanted have been discontinued but it was still nice for a walk and a chat. Then I went to a nice kitchen shop I had a gift card for (which also happened to have a sale on, yay!) and got a whole bunch of cool stuff. It's been a nice day!

• Like 2

All set and ready for the week ahead. I made a batch of lamb and veg soup for my lunches. Even with all the overtime I'll be able to have dinner at home, so that's one less thing to worry about. And I have plenty of fruit and some bread to snack on if the mood strikes. My work desk is currently a chocolate-free zone!

Went for a walk today, apparently the weather man was a liar because after yesterday's storm there wasn't a cloud in the sky today. Also did the NF Flexibility Challenge, just for funsies. Won't get another chance for a walk til Friday at least, but I should find time for some pushups in the evenings.

Also, I'll need to do a wardrobe cull before long; after yesterday's splurge I'm almost at the point where I have more shirts than coat hangers!

• Like 2

The challenge has started and I'm already in good spirits! I weighed in this morning, having lost a kilo since last week, which means the last challenge was definitely a success. I think the main factor last week was eliminating unhealthy snacks altogether for a couple of days. That rule is a big part of this challenge so I'm hopeful I'll soon be back on track to be below 70kg by January!

• Like 2

So far so good! Monday went well as far as nutrition goes; I had a couple of slices of bread and butter or a banana during the day when I started to get peckish. I know it sounds pretty boring, but I figured if it's actual hunger (as opposed to boredom hunger) a slice of bread ought to satisfy, and I think that worked.

I didn't do any exercise, though. Mondays are hard, especially after nearly 12 hours at work! I did, however, manage to get up and go to bed once I started to feel sleepy.

I don't have any hard and fast rules about what constitutes an affirmation. Basically, any firm thought that makes me feel good about myself will do, even  just to say "I've got this!" Yesterday I was just reflecting on my weight loss while on the drive into work and that felt very positive.

Today is also going well nutrition-wise, but I'm going to have to put an effort in to do some pushups later!

• Like 2

Phew, just did my pushups and really starting to feel the burn! I had to split the last set into two smaller ones and have a break in between. Reckon I'll have to do that more often from now on; the next workout needs me to do 19 and I'm only just getting the hang of 10!

Everything else is travelling well. It was a close thing with dinner, which I had to buy from the staff cafeteria, but they had some nice gyoza on offer. Unfortunately what they described as green beans turned out to be mostly asparagus (yuck) so I probably didn't have as much veg as I ought. But still no snacking, that's two days in a row!

• Like 2

Aww, seeing this running really makes me want to get out and try running again. I've actually started dreaming about it a little bit. There is now way my young self would believe that haha.

Well done on those push ups. I really need to get back on my stuff! :)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Tateman said:

Aww, seeing this running really makes me want to get out and try running again. I've actually started dreaming about it a little bit. There is now way my young self would believe that haha.

Well done on those push ups. I really need to get back on my stuff! :)

I saw you're doing well with your walking goal, so you're on your way! I certainly fantasise about being a better runner: either being able to actually jog a whole 5K without walking, or just not being completely wiped for about an hour afterwards every time! But those are a way off yet, and worlds away from 15-year-old LateralPlanet's running goal: never ever run again because it's the worst ;)

• Like 2

I built in my one day a week with snacks allowed precisely to account for days like today. I think today's portion of soup must've been from the bottom of the pot, because there wasn't much lamb or veg in it, just water and risoni. I mean, it was tasty but not at all filling, which is pretty dire when there was another eight hours til dinner. I ran out of fruit and the bag of bread I bought was already going mouldy! So I helped myself to a small bag of chips (crisps) after lunch. Now I just need to be extra vigilant about my hunger levels for the rest of the week.

• Like 1

Guys, I'm so knackered right now. Today's affirmation was along the lines, "You're doing the right thing taking on all the extra overtime, you can make it til Friday!" The fatigue is starting to make itself known, but hopefully in the next 12 months I'll be paying for a wedding, honeymoon snd a house deposit, so I've got to grind while the getting's good. Next week won't be so tiring, yay!

Did my pushups tonight, and I split a couple of the sets for safety. The next workout is the test to see if I can level up. I already know I won't, but I'm quite happy to redo this level. When I started this plan I worried I'd get discouraged by a lack of progress, but even though my improvement is not as linear as the app demands, I can definitely feel improvement so I'm soldiering on.

All good nutrition-wise. I made sure to buy some more fruit on the way to work this morning so I wouldn't get caught short like yesterday.

• Like 1

Phew, it's been a couple of days! Nothing very exciting happened. On Friday I was just so wiped I had a nap as soon as I got home. With all that overtime I did seven days of work in the space of five days, so I took a lazy weekend to recover. Did some baking because a coworker gave me some eggs; her chickens are laying them faster than she can eat them. Went for some walks but didn't do any running. Did my pushups test last night and managed 15 knee pushups, which is not bad, but I'm repeating the level.

I'll do a proper summary of the week's results in a bit, but I just got to work (wasn't I just here??) and should probably hop to it before the boss catches me on my phone ;)

• Like 1

Week 1 was OK. I mean, I didn't feel awesome for a lot of it, but I think that's more to do with overworking myself rather than other poor fitness habits.

1) Pushups challenge = 3/3

Done! I'm redoing the level to work up from 10 to 20 pushups.

2) Beginner Bodyweight Workout = 0/1

Honestly, I could have made time on the weekend, but I didn't.

3) No junk food = 5/6

I had some chips earlier in the week, and then I got a bit carried away when taste-testing the chocolate meringue kisses I made on Saturday and had some chocolate as well

4) No deep-fried food = 6/7

I was doing so well until we chose fancy burgers and hot chips for lunch on Sunday. I was halfway through my chips when I remembered this was a rule, d'oh!

5) Daily affirmation = 7/7

Feels a bit weird making a conscious effort to make positive statements to myself, but I'm doing it, shutting that anxiety brain down.

6) Don't fall asleep on the couch = 7/7

Win! I did have a nap on Friday afternoon, but I made sure it was in bed. Brought Fiancé and puppy in with me, too, it was a very nice cuddle pile :D But no accidental naps!

Result = I don't actually know; didn't get a chance to weigh myself this morning. But just going by feelings I don't think there was much downward movement. I think the combination of exhausting myself with work and not exercising very much (I did lots of pushups but not much walking or anything else) probably didn't do me any favours. And I suspect that even without snacking my sugar intake may have gone up; I had a couple of quite sugary breakfasts.

I'm going to resume sugar tracking this week just to keep that in chack. I'm also going to have a lot more free time for exercising so I ought to manage a bit more movement. Also it's payday on Thursday so I'll see a bit of the reward for all the hard work I've done lately, that should keep me motivated! 

• Like 1

Monday was kind of mixed. I didn't do any exercise, far too sleepy! And I had a fair amount of sweets, so there goes my junk food allowance for the week. Actually it's fair to say I had more than I should've.

Also, my blue jeans are starting to get worn out! I'll try to lose another kilo and then see if I can replace them with size 12 jeans instead of another set of 14s. Awkwardly, the 14s are quite loose but the 12s I've got are a bit too tight around the tummy to comfortably wear all day. Also awkward, my black work pants feel loose and they're size 12, because size is an illusion and ladies' clothes shops are full of lies. Anyway, once I'm down to 75kg I'll go shopping, and in the meantime I'll just wear the blue jeans around the house and the black jeans out in the world.

• Like 1

Tuesday is a day for exercises! Did pushups this afternoon while I waited for the sun to cool off enough for a run. Gotta say, it was rather nice suddenly halving the reps, but I know they'll be back in the high teens again before long. Then I took the puppy for a run, the first since I broke my record a week and a half ago! I wasn't nearly at that level today, but it was a pretty respectable speed all the same.

The main thing is that we're done with crazy work for a while, no more overtime for a couple of weeks, yay! It's very nice being home before dark, and not just because it means I get to go running.

• Like 1

How did I not see/get this added to my list to read. I am so sorry I missed so much.

Congrats on the 5K. That is an awesome time. And I am glad to hear your done with overtime for a bit. I know that can be very draining.

I bet puppy was happy to go for a run again as well.

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

37 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

How did I not see/get this added to my list to read. I am so sorry I missed so much.

Congrats on the 5K. That is an awesome time. And I am glad to hear your done with overtime for a bit. I know that can be very draining.

I bet puppy was happy to go for a run again as well.

Haha no worries, thanks for stopping by! ;)

Thanks! Yep I was pretty dead by the end of last week, but it'll be worth it come payday! Not to mention extra time at home for the next two weeks.

Fiancé usually takes puppy for a walk when I can't, because the puppy gets very cranky after a day or two without a walk! He sure does love to run, and I'm slowly getting better at keeping up with him :D

• Like 1

Had to go down the lolly aisle at the supermarket today. Halloween isn't a thing in Australia but you never know if one of the local kids might be into it; I don't want to be yet another mean lady who wasn't ready to hand out lollies! So I just got a box of Cadbury favourites, I only like half of those anyway so there's less temptation for me ;) Also I found out my supermarket's moved some stuff around, and now the chips are with the lollies so now that's an entire aisle I can just skip, very efficient!

• Like 1

It's been a good day! I took puppy for a run this arvo, we even had a go at running up a hill. My GPS went weird, though; it said I did the first kilometre in six minutes, which... no, I was walking most of the time so it should've been closer to 10. Oh well, at least it went weird in my favour ;)

Didn't have much sugar, and we didn't have any trick or treaters either, so now I have a box of chocolates to ignore/nibble at when the challenge allows. 

But the best thing is: we actually made some progress on wedding planning! We took some time this evening to pick two venues and send inquiry emails to them. Our big problem was decision fatigue; there are just too many options! But now we've broken through and just have to wait for a response, then we can really get the ball rolling! Proud of us :D

Woot! Did my monthly weigh-in this morning and the downward trend has resumed! Things stalled a bit last week I think because I spent the whole time sitting at my desk, but now my routine is back in place things are rolling again. The next crazy work week is the last one in the challenge, and it's a doozy. Not much overtime, but very late night shifts instead. But if I'm not starting work til 3:00 in the afternoon there's plenty of time for exercising in the morning!

Something international Rebels may not know about Canberra, Australia, is that it's also known as the Bush Capital. It's lovely, there's lots of wildlife and bushland and wide open spaces, no concrete jungle like Sydney or Melbourne (eww). Unfortunately, it means when the bush catches fire, often so does the capital!

So it was a heck of a thing when I got into work this morning to find the news headline basically read, "There's a giant out-of-control bushfire coming straight for YOUR HOUSE, Lateral Planet!"

There's no evacuation order yet, but we're being told to get our stuff sorted, so I'm getting ready to bug out as soon as word comes. So I'm hitting pause on the challenge for now and will keep fingers crossed that things get better before they get worse!

Edited to add: I just saw an update that said as well as the fires, there's a thunderstorm warning and a haze of dust coming in from inland, and that people with asthma should stay inside and not do any vigorous exercises. So definitely no challenge stuff for a day or two until my lungs are fully functioning again. At least it just started raining here at home, hopefully it's also raining where it's needed!

OK here's what's up. They downgraded the warning level overnight so we're no longer on standby. The fire's still uncontrolled, huge, and walking distance from the suburbs, but I guess they must be confident things will improve soon.

They weren't wrong about the asthma, my lungs haven't quite been working at 100 per cent capacity so I'm just taking it easy. I'll get back in business once the fire's out and the air is fresher.

On the other hand, I could eat better! Last night we were pretty wiped so we just got KFC for dinner, which I haven't had since Boxing Day. I remember that because of the irony of buying a bunch of activewear in the sales only to then have KFC for lunch. Then I wanted some comfort food (anxiety is exhausting, yo) so I had some ice cream. Ate better today, though, and planning to tomorrow as well!

Week 2 recap: Week 2 was half-cancelled so I won't do my usual post-mortem. It was mostly good, all things considered, although I did have some chocolate over the weekend (hormonal cravings strike again!) The bushfire is now controlled but I might have to take it easy exercise-wise for a couple of days until the air is clearer. I should manage a walk this afternoon though.

Result: This morning the scales said 74.4kg! I don't know if I believe that, but it's the only measurement I've got, so I'll take it. If true, that means I've lost 10 kilos (22 pounds) since my maximum weight! :D:D

I missed out on walkies yesterday. I was on my way home but the weather was looking a bit ominous so Fiancé and puppy went early in case it rained. But I managed to do some pushups! Didn't do too badly, considering I hadn't done any exercise since last Wednesday.

The weather did change after all, and it'll be rainy all day today and tomorrow. No chance of a walk for a while, hopefully the puppy won't go completely stir-crazy before the sun comes back! In the meantime I can do some more pushups and focus on resisting chocolate cravings.