• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

farflight

Episode 35....Farflight's not f-ing dead!

Was thinking of doing a big theatrical come back, but screw it, I'm at work and haven't posted in a long freaking time. So the creativity will come back in a challenge or two.

I miss my warriors. I miss moving heavy things. Got lost after separating from wife unit, filing for divorce, canceling gym, and moving to a new residence (after a couple moves).

I'm happy where things are right now, life is good, and I'm starting to get that itch again...I need to get stronger! Can't afford a gym yet, but I know I've got enough mass (read as: bodyweight) and dumbbells to still do some sort of strength training routine.

My current thought is to attempt some modified form of steve's advanced bodyweight workout (or add some significant stuff to his beginner's). 

Needless to say, my sword arm has forgotten its strength over the past 3 months. I'm sorry I abandoned you my brethren...I'll make it up is sweat, blood, and moving heavy things!

Hail to the WARRIORS!

P.S. Will update when I've got a more laid out program plan

• Like 2

Reserved:

Okay...my birthday present to me next week (tuesday turn 35) is to start doing the advanced bodyweight circuit with modifications

for those unfamiliar with the circuit:

• 10 one legged squats – each side [warning super-difficult, only attempt if you’re in good enough shape]
  • 20 body weight squats
  • 20 walking lunges (10 each leg)
  • 20 jump step-ups (10 each leg)
  • 10 pull ups [or inverted body weight rows using your kitchen table]
  • 10 dips – bar stools
  • 10 chin ups [or inverted body weight rows with underhand grip]
  • 10 push ups
  • 30 second plank

Here is my proposal...

10 one legged squats (will attempt while holding onto door frame for balance)

20 bodyweight squats (shouldn't be a challenge unless the one leggeds drain me

20 lunges (don't think modifications will be needed)

20 jump step ups (NEED IDEAS HERE)

10 pull ups (will use chair for assist as I cannot do a regular pull up yet)

10 dips (trying to find something to rest hands on, I might try using my saw horses)

10 chin ups (similar to pull ups, will use chair as assist)

10 push ups

plank

I'm hoping to be able to do this to some degree. Will report back when I've tried a round. I'm open to input regarding order of exercises or replacements.

Equipment that I have in the home:

Over door frame pull up bar with resistance band

bowflex dial weight (up to 52.5 lbs each) dumbbells (kinda awkward for chalice squats, but doable)

Foam roller

2 plastic saw horses from harbor freight

Some plastic tubs and other various things associated with home ownership 

Edited by farflight
reviewed the routine

5 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

tenor.gif

Good to see you. :)

image.png.88cebe5403e5e47d747c7a3f5fcd8d2d.png

Thanks scaly! Just got something in my eyes over here....must be a dumbbell or something...GOOD TO BE GETTING BACK!

3 hours ago, farflight said:

Okay...my birthday present to me next week (tuesday turn 35) is to start doing the advanced bodyweight circuit with modifications

That is an awesome way to approach gifts and special occasions. I like it a lot. Level-ups instead of objects. Hmmm. Now I'm thinking about asking myself for kickboxing or something rad for Christmas, instead of asking someone else for, I don't know, socks and chocolates. Not that socks can't be rad. 

Weekend updates: woot!

Yesterday was typical saturday, cleaning, resting...then this happened...

image.thumb.png.b9c5a1a8120e09e37218d007cdef104a.png

Sunday was church, actually got a form to really "join" rather than just sit in the back namelessly...sheesh adulting...

Learned how to make cinnamon raisin bread...kinda ate half a loaf myself....

Notes on the advanced bodyweight circuit...

Not coordinated/strong enough to do one legged/pistol type squats, so modding those to regular squats, will up to chalice squats once body remembers the motion

Lunges aren't an issue, will add weight by end of week

pull & chin ups are freaking hard, even with a chair for cheating support. Manage 6-7 each round of the circuit, will stick with it

pushups are a tad challenge after the pull ups, but getting them in

planks remain typical

Next work out day will be Tuesday/Wednesday I suppose. 

Peace out!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, Grumble said:

Why do you need ideas on the stepups? Do you have zero steps?

Fine...don't yell, I did em...they were actually a nice little breather...

Man..I SUCK at getting presents for myself...(see below)

image.thumb.png.3110b08ed07a07b26c1d756d286c734b.png

Still can't do the one leggers...will watch some videos about variations or other ways to get the movement. Still doing "cheater" pull/chin ups with my feet on a chair but I'm making myself 'earn' the help. Managing about 7 of each with leg assist before I almost slip off the damn bar. Haven't tried the dips yet and my saw horses are pinned behind my truck with two flat tires (hey, its in the garage at least)

Trusty companion is out of the walking loop again. Was on anti-inflammatories last week, seemed okay, started with SHORT FREAKING walks and she's limping again. Gonna ask vet about supplements for joints or shit she could eat. So it will be a solo walk tonight...happy birthday to me!

At least I got to eat 2/3 rack of ribs with parents and a friend

EDIT:

Also, I have a new goal for the new year...

image.png.2e87ec5c0b708d73fe122d2934486818.png

• Like 1

Yesterday was a crash and burn dietarily. Went to folks house to help with yardwork (and free dinner), didn't realize it got dark at freaking 6 already. So no yardwork, but ate a REALLY good rice, cheese, and chicken casserole...like REALLY ate it. Then went to a friends house for donuts. 

Got home and realized it was 1030 and I'd only done 7k steps. Didn't bike, didn't walk, didn't do shit....and it felt awful. 

Tonight I've got the bodyweight circuit and at least a walk. Will see what happens.

Personal update: had meeting with lawyer on monday, hopefully papers will get signed soon.

1 hour ago, farflight said:

Yesterday was a crash and burn dietarily. Went to folks house to help with yardwork (and free dinner), didn't realize it got dark at freaking 6 already. So no yardwork, but ate a REALLY good rice, cheese, and chicken casserole...like REALLY ate it. Then went to a friends house for donuts. 

Got home and realized it was 1030 and I'd only done 7k steps. Didn't bike, didn't walk, didn't do shit....and it felt awful. 

Tonight I've got the bodyweight circuit and at least a walk. Will see what happens.

Personal update: had meeting with lawyer on monday, hopefully papers will get signed soon.

Some days we just aren't going to win. Take the L and soon for a better day tomorrow.

Well, got the workout in yesterday at least. Between weather and a hurt puppy, walking motivation is getting slim (dog has a wierd limp that seems to vanish when she sees a squirrel, but otherwise limps along. Gonna give her maybe two weeks rest to see if it goes away, and yes the vet is clueless). Getting too cold to bike as well (could maybe o bike more if I had some people to bike with but its too cold to be out there alone).

Inner elbow tendons don't seem to hurt as bad as the other days after the chin/pull ups. Here's hoping either form/strength is the reason for the decreased pain!

Planning on getting sawhorses down this weekend. Possibly do some painting of doors and go to lowes to get paint samples....

image.png.3ea30e9f35b039368de7b83952eea01f.png

2 hours ago, farflight said:

dog has a wierd limp that seems to vanish when she sees a squirrel

Can dogs have psychosomatic injuries?

tenor.gif

I hope your pup gets better soon at any rate. 

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Can dogs have psychosomatic injuries

Unsure...I'm a school psychologist, not pet psychologist...

By wierd I mean: see's squirrel, wants to go upstairs, I open the back door...*ZOOM* no problems

We got for a walk, it comes and goes (and she loves walks...I mean, about as much as this pooch...giphy.gif)

So, I'm just gonna hafta get used to walking solo...time to suck it up and adult more

32 minutes ago, farflight said:

Unsure...I'm a school psychologist, not pet psychologist...

By wierd I mean: see's squirrel, wants to go upstairs, I open the back door...*ZOOM* no problems

We got for a walk, it comes and goes (and she loves walks...I mean, about as much as this pooch...giphy.gif)

So, I'm just gonna hafta get used to walking solo...time to suck it up and adult more

I had a golden retriever with hip dysplasia, and he could forget about it for a little while if he was excited about something. For humans a mild pain is most nagging when we have nothing else to distract us, but can be ignored temporarily if something occupies our thoughts. Maybe dogs are the same? 

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

I had a golden retriever with hip dysplasia, and he could forget about it for a little while if he was excited about something. For humans a mild pain is most nagging when we have nothing else to distract us, but can be ignored temporarily if something occupies our thoughts. Maybe dogs are the same? 

They are. I don't know about psychosomatic injuries, but I do know they are smart enough that you can induce placebo in them and get the same effect from a sugar pill as you do from a mild sedative.

@farflight What you're describing sounds a lot like the early symptoms of my Sidekick's arthritis. And yes, dogs can get that without being ancient... Sidekick was diagnosed at the age of six. It can't be treated, but it can be managed. We worked out a good system with out vet, and are doing a combination of lifestyle changes (compared to before the diagnosis) and medication.

If the limp is still there two weeks from now, and your vet remains clueless, I suggest you get a second opinion. Sidekick's quality of life is night-and-day better now that we know what she has and how to treat it. If your dog is in a similar situation, both you and her will feel better once you have a treatment plan in place.

• Like 1

Regarding the puppers...she should be able to avoid most of the breed specific health issues, she's a good ole feral mut rescue mix. Continuing to let her rest this week, despite the glares and sighs she gives me daily....

I must've pulled a chest muscle when I was moving doors the other day (starting to paint various things in the house). Didn't do any circuits this weekend but I did rip off wall paper, ripped up edging (anger therapy), and moved doors and painted. There was a 10.5 mile bike ride yesterday which was a good break from wiping wallpaper paste off an ugly wall (pics to follow)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farflight said:

Didn't do any circuits this weekend but I did rip off wall paper, ripped up edging (anger therapy), and moved doors and painted. There was a 10.5 mile bike ride yesterday which was a good break from wiping wallpaper paste off an ugly wall (pics to follow)

Ripping things is strength work, right? Although I guess it depends on how thick the wallpaper is. If previous owners or tenants just pasted new layers of wallpaper over the old ones, it could be like tearing phone books in half - total strongman feat, for sure. Apparently in our apartment the current owners found layers of newspaper on the walls which helped them figure out when the old tenants had been chased out (by nazis, I think. We don't really know who lived there or what happened to them). Anyway, I think you should paper secret messages under your new wallpaper. Unless you're painting. But wallpaper is cool again, definitely. 

Before picture of bathroom, nice pee yellow...or as mother says..."lemonade"

image.thumb.png.a4f60f7e0fd8de8754f5c60498b61273.png

results after "oh lookie, the paint bubble down there...lemme just pull that off to even out the surface..."

image.png.010915206f977e241695217d40a66c28.png

And finally paint colors...

image.png.e9ee67e1f78dac9abf8ea4a4dcf40d4d.png

not 100% sure on the purple, might end up with navy horizontal stripes...

...and @Harriet, the wallpaper was easy peasy to pull off. The edging was more fun to rip shit outta the ground with nothing but brute strength :-D

• Like 2

I like the grey. It looks like the colour of the cats my family had when I was a child.

the-burmese.jpg?itok=Bk8jNddk

The red is nice, but pretty dark. It might be overwhelming if you paint the entire room that colour. Maybe just one feature wall? Or you could paint the whole room red, then install creepy red lights and call it your slaughter bath, that's also a valid design choice.

• Like 2

Thanks for that paint judgement :-D  ...I'm doing horizontal stripes dark color on light. Leaving the purple family and going towards blue.

Managed to complete the circuit last night. Still not able to do ten (10) chair assisted pull/chin ups, but routinely getting 7-8, saw horses don't work for dips, so I've cut those out, as well as pistol/one legged squats are too difficult at this time. 

It does seem leg heavy (in my opinion, but I'm getting it done)

So here is the circuit:

20 Squats (chalice starts next week with dumbbell)

20 lunges (10 each leg)

20 jump step thingies

7-8 chair assisted pull ups

7-8 chair assisted chin ups

10 pushups

20-30 second plank

30 jumping jacks

all that 3 times

I did manage to go run 2.5 miles @Grumble , I guess cycling is helping, I really didn't strain at all, actually...enjoyed it a little...

Also, I haven't had a "real" cigarette in a month...granted I'm hitting up an e-cig regularly, 1.8% nicotine by volume and 1 cartridge lasts 2-3 days (1 cartridge = 1.5 packs per company website). I'm not coughing NEARLY as much...so thats one monster down for now. I know I'll need to kick the e-cig eventually too

ONWARD!

to-infinity-and-beyond-gif.gif

image.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, farflight said:

I did manage to go run 2.5 miles @Grumble , I guess cycling is helping, I really didn't strain at all, actually...enjoyed it a little...

I'm sorry, I couldn't quite catch that. I've been staring at a screen and my eyesight's a little off today. 

Hmm Ok GIF - Hmm Ok Seriosuly GIFs

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2018 at 11:31 AM, Grumble said:

I'm sorry, I couldn't quite catch that. I've been staring at a screen and my eyesight's a little off today.

Oh hush you...You heard me...

Finally figured out that "runner's high" thing this morning. The "runner's high" came to me when I realized the following: "Oh...today's friday...BODY CIRCUIT DAY...I don't have to run!!"....I've been light headed and slurring my words ever since...BOOM...

I did run last night...not enjoyable. 2.5 miles in about 20 minutes. Walked home due to stitch in side. Body circuit scheduled for this afternoon followed by PAINTING!!! 

WOOOoooo000....damnit

• Haha 3

On 11/2/2018 at 10:02 AM, farflight said:

Oh hush you...You heard me...

:D

Finally figured out that "runner's high" thing this morning. The "runner's high" came to me when I realized the following: "Oh...today's friday...BODY CIRCUIT DAY...I don't have to run!!"....I've been light headed and slurring my words ever since...BOOM...

No Thats Not How This Works GIF - No ThatsNotHowThisWorks ThatsNotHowAnyOfThisWorks GIFs

I did run last night...not enjoyable. 2.5 miles in about 20 minutes. Walked home due to stitch in side. Body circuit scheduled for this afternoon followed by PAINTING!!! 

Any reason you decided to run at a 8 minute pace? That's kinda fast.

WOOOoooo000....damnit

Horitzonal Running - Pitch Perfect GIF - Running GIFs