• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Katerina

2nd Challenge

6 hours ago, Katerina said:

Also, I am doing a low back squat, not a front squat, so where I am starting to run into trouble is that I can pick up anything on that rack, but getting the barbell from pick up to behind me starts to become a challenge at 40. I can do it, but I wouldn't try it at 50 for reasons of risk (knowing the limits of my own upper body strength). I am guessing you are going to tell me to move over to the (quasi-machine) rack. :)That would solve the issue. 

Speaking of working with the rack (which I haven't done--my son showed it to me briefly, but since I was squatting 30 and deadlifting 40 at the time, it didn't seem anything to really worry to much about since the unattached barbells go up to 60), I assume I can also use it to deadlift? 

Oooh, I think I just understood what you're doing. You're actually leaning over to pick up a mini barbell off a stand that's well below chest height, right? Yeah, I think your ability to get it into place safely will rapidly be outpaced by your leg strength. I would be lucky to hang clean (i.e. "flip" to chest height) half of what I squat. Plus the hang clean looks like it would be the kind of move you should get some tips on from a trainer. The rack is good, it's easy to use. You set the empty barbell at chest height, put the plates in, and step under it. Boom, it's in place, no manoeuvring necessary. Plus you can set the safety pins at a height just below the bottom of your squat, so they won't fall as far if you fail & drop them, or trap you if you accidentally lean forward while failing a lift. Most definitely start using the rack. I guess you could deadlift in the rack but I'm not sure what the benefit would be... unless it helps you get the plates on? Can you get your son to show you everything again? You should see at least one proper set up of every lift. 

• Like 4

On 11/7/2018 at 9:35 AM, Harriet said:

Plus you can set the safety pins at a height just below the bottom of your squat, so they won't fall as far if you fail & drop them, or trap you if you accidentally lean forward while failing a lift.

Only works in power rack, I don't trust squat racks to catch a dropped barbell. Honestly, if you're falling, dump it behind you and scoot forward in a hasty manner. Better embarrassed than damaged.

• Like 2

Yep, safety first. We don't even have squat racks, just power racks. And the gym I was at before had an incredibly sturdy squat rack with fixed arms at one height. I had to be careful not to drop too low. Like the stupid bench with its too-high safeties. They should design equipment for haflings and half-orcs alike. 

Ok, so this morning was an adventure. I went to a new gym with free weight options, and wow, a real bar is heavier on its own and more unwieldy than the fixed stuff I had been using. An email to set up an appointment with a personal trainer for educational purposes has already been sent. 

Out of curiosity, what is the average weight of just a bar on its own?

On 11/10/2018 at 10:05 AM, Harriet said:

Standard bars are about 20kg or 45 pounds, I believe.

You believe correctly. Standard bars in US gyms weigh 45 pounds.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:58 AM, Katerina said:

Thank you. I may in time, but I am still adjusting to thinking of myself as someone who lifts instead of the uncoordinated middle schooler who hated gym class and was always picked last for teams (even though this is X years later). My identity for a long time has focused on the muscle between my ears. :) I am far more comfortable in a bookstore than in a gym. Feel free to chuckle, but my recent personal victory was asking one of the gym employees to show me how to do squats and deadlifts. I HATED having to ask for help, and I still am working through my hatred of mirrors everywhere. (And this is where the crazy comes in. :) )  

So, late to the party, but welcome to the Warriors. As I'm sure you've noticed, most people here aren't your stereotypical muscleheads. One of the reasons I joined (and have stayed) NF is because people here have interests beyond just lifting. And who are incredibly  friendly and non judgemental. We're nerds (or, in my case, a nerd who is shit at nerd things) and that's what makes us great. So, welcome.

On 10/27/2018 at 11:40 AM, Katerina said:

Maybe your evil twin? :)

I feel I must warn you that Grumble is definitely the evil twin. There's no easy way to say this but...

He runs.

For pleasure.

That's... That's not normal.

Max-Greenfield-Disgusted.gif

Don't let that put you off too much. He's a great guy. But just... Be aware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

I feel I must warn you that Grumble is definitely the evil twin. There's no easy way to say this but...

He runs.

For pleasure.

That's... That's not normal.

Hahaha. I agree that's not normal, but at least you know the point of his divergence from the pale. I don't think I have revealed mine yet--muhahaha. (I can tell you it's not running.)

Thank you kindly for the welcome :)

I am not sure what you mean by "shit at nerd things." Now I am curious: what do you mean? 

Yes, I am very much enjoying the company here. Interesting people!

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sooooo How is your lifting going?

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095be9e793746e586c41

Thank you for checking on me. My cat would kill me if I tried that, but as a result of starting to lift, I can now deadlift my neighbor's dog. Why would I do such a thing? Because I sometimes get to dog-sit, and her cage is essentially on a table. I could not do this over the summer. Odd measure for progress, but hey. . . :)

Otherwise. . .it kind of feels like I am going backwards, but I know that is irrational. Let me explain. :)

So I did go to a (full) gym on Saturday--racks, removable weights, etc. I have had zero experience in that environment, so it was frankly disorienting.

I did my squats with just the bar, and I will have to adjust to the longer length. But doing them with just the bar felt like I was going backwards even though if a standard bar is 45 pounds, and I had been squatting a shorter bar (pre-fab, bells cannot be removed) of 40, then I figure the work was equivalent. Since then, I started taking a look at Starting Strength and found out that my approach to the rack was quite literally ass backwards and that I should not do that again. So, nice right hook to the fledgling confidence--ha, ha. Oh, well!

I added weights for my deadlift, but again, getting used to the longer length made me really have to pay attention to form (even more than usual) because it was different. 

I used the bar by itself for chest presses; at my previous gym I had been using dumbbells. If the bar is 45# though, this was improvement; between the dumbbells, I was using 30#.

So basically, I did what I could on Saturday and spent the rest of the day playing mind games with myself about how much I haven't accomplished. So yeah, that was fun. (Eye roll directed at self) I will be setting up an appointment with a personal trainer (just one appointment) to try to dispel both the disorientation and the ignorance. Hopefully, I can get that squared away this week. If not, my stubborn ass will just muddle through the best I can this week.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Katerina said:

So basically, I did what I could on Saturday and spent the rest of the day playing mind games with myself about how much I haven't accomplished. So yeah, that was fun. (Eye roll directed at self) I will be setting up an appointment with a personal trainer (just one appointment) to try to dispel both the disorientation and the ignorance. Hopefully, I can get that squared away this week. If not, my stubborn ass will just muddle through the best I can this week.

Sounds like your first time with real barbells. It also sounds like you increased the weight on everything, and you just have to get used to the new equipment. I think the next few months are going to be super exciting for you as you perfect your form and watch the numbers increase rapidly. I won't tell you not to be disappointed when things don't progress as smoothly as you hoped (I do it, too). But you'll see pretty quickly that a single bad session isn't a big deal. Anyway, I think you can be super excited about your next few sessions, they're going to be awesome :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katerina said:

I did my squats with just the bar, and I will have to adjust to the longer length. But doing them with just the bar felt like I was going backwards even though if a standard bar is 45 pounds, and I had been squatting a shorter bar (pre-fab, bells cannot be removed) of 40, then I figure the work was equivalent. Since then, I started taking a look at Starting Strength and found out that my approach to the rack was quite literally ass backwards and that I should not do that again. So, nice right hook to the fledgling confidence--ha, ha.

You're doing something new for the first time. If your first attempts were perfect, you'd be a complete freak of nature. You'll get there, as long as you keep trying and cut yourself the same amount of slack you would someone else who id trying to learn barbell lifts for the first time. :) 

Also, major props and points to you for going to reliable sources for learning more about the big barbell lifts. In addition to Starting Strength, there are several good YouTube channels that can teach you more about lifts: Buff Dudes, Athlean-X, Meg Squats, and Alan Thrall, are all solid when it comes to knowledge and safe advice, and they all have very good how-to videos on the lifts included in the Starting Strength program. Those four taught me how to dead lift. :) 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Katerina said:

I am not sure what you mean by "shit at nerd things." Now I am curious: what do you mean? 

Stuff like gaming; I enjoy it, but I am oh so very bad at it. I'm not sure I've ever won a race on Mario Kart.

6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

In addition to Starting Strength, there are several good YouTube channels that can teach you more about lifts: Buff Dudes, Athlean-X, Meg Squats, and Alan Thrall, are all solid when it comes to knowledge and safe advice, and they all have very good how-to videos on the lifts included in the Starting Strength program. Those four taught me how to dead lift

Many thanks! :)

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sounds like your first time with real barbells. It also sounds like you increased the weight on everything, and you just have to get used to the new equipment. I think the next few months are going to be super exciting for you as you perfect your form and watch the numbers increase rapidly. I won't tell you not to be disappointed when things don't progress as smoothly as you hoped (I do it, too). But you'll see pretty quickly that a single bad session isn't a big deal. Anyway, I think you can be super excited about your next few sessions, they're going to be awesome :D

Yes, it was my first encounter. (First gym didn't have them, so even though the pictures I have seen *should* have told my brain that there were some significant differences, I didn't really give it much thought. Then there was the whole new place thing. I am grateful to the man who was in the room. Nice guy. I think he didn't want to offer much advice-wise (so much could go wrong, be perceived wrongly, etc.), but he offered to help me unload someone else's weights just left there. (I didnt need his help--they were not that heavy--but I thanked him nevertheless.) Although he didn't say much, he was approachable, and that helped to take down the awkward stress a little.

Thank you for the words of encouragement :) Life has already gotten better; a couple of months ago, I thought I was going to be very limited because of age and history (I have had several children and had been told in the past that I had a diastasis recti. I also had abdominal surgery a couple of years turn ago. Turns out, my physical therapist said I didn't have a da, which was very freeing. My core is weak, so I have been working with her to fix that, but to know that I am not condemned to significant aging in my late 40s is. . . amazing.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

Stuff like gaming; I enjoy it, but I am oh so very bad at it. I'm not sure I've ever won a race on Mario Kart.

Well, if that is how we are defining "nerd," I'd best hand in my membership card now. :/ My boys tried to get me into Skyrim several years ago, but between total lack of time and finding the camera angles dizzying, that ended that. 

On 11/10/2018 at 10:05 AM, Harriet said:

Standard bars are about 20kg or 45 pounds, I believe. There were some weird lighter ones at my old gym, though. 

LIghter ones, usually 15-25 lbs. are often called technique bars. I've been using them at my gym working on my OHS. Much rather work on balance with 15 lbs above my head as opposed to 45 until I'm confortable.

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Also, major props and points to you for going to reliable sources for learning more about the big barbell lifts. In addition to Starting Strength, there are several good YouTube channels that can teach you more about lifts: Buff Dudes, Athlean-X, Meg Squats, and Alan Thrall, are all solid when it comes to knowledge and safe advice, and they all have very good how-to videos on the lifts included in the Starting Strength program. Those four taught me how to dead lift. :) 

How did you get my youtube account?

Speaking of Buff Dudes. They just released a shoulder video where they really go in depth with the why of the workouts and focus on keeping shoulders injury free. Even if you're not into bodybuilder type workouts, it's a good watch.

8 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

If you have fun, then who cares?

3 hours ago, Katerina said:

Well, if that is how we are defining "nerd," I'd best hand in my membership card now. :/ My boys tried to get me into Skyrim several years ago, but between total lack of time and finding the camera angles dizzying, that ended that. 

Definitely not the defining traits of nerds. 

18 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Pffft. Like that matters. :P

Says the nerd who just went to Vegas for a Rocket League championship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I found Alan Thrall on Youtube and have been watching his videos. In fact yesterday I found something about how he fixed his good-morning-squat, which is what I need to do, too. I like him somehow. You can trust someone with so much long hair, because there's a person with patience. And you can trust someone who's about as thick as a small bear, because there's just more of them to trust. Well, that's how I reason it anyway. Also, he doesn't use misogynistic insults as motivation, like some do:

Spoiler

Recently read a programme by a well known dude that went a bit like this: "Don't be a pussy" "Don't get stuck in vag land" (presumably where all the weak, pitiful people with female anatomy languish) "What do you mean I'm misogynist??? I'm the most respectful walking pair of balls ever invented, just telling the unvarnished super-truth! If you think I'm sexist you're an oversensitive, menstruating, hysterical lady-pussy!!!" Okay, that last bit is an exaggeration, but only slightly.

21 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I found Alan Thrall on Youtube and have been watching his videos. In fact yesterday I found something about how he fixed his good-morning-squat, which is what I need to do, too. I like him somehow. You can trust someone with so much long hair, because there's a person with patience. And you can trust someone who's about as thick as a small bear, because there's just more of them to trust. Well, that's how I reason it anyway. Also, he doesn't use misogynistic insults as motivation, like some do:

Thrall is good and he's gotten much better. His youtube channel hit this sophomore slump period where he was trying to find his footing and I was less than impressed. But his current stuff is excellent. 

Whiles a bit of an ass, Mark Bell has some amazing knowledge to impart. Dude's an encyclopedia of lifting knowledge, and one of Alan Thrall's mentors.

21 minutes ago, Harriet said:
  Hide contents

Recently read a programme by a well known dude that went a bit like this: "Don't be a pussy" "Don't get stuck in vag land" (presumably where all the weak, pitiful people with female anatomy languish) "What do you mean I'm misogynist??? I'm the most respectful walking pair of balls ever invented, just telling the unvarnished super-truth! If you think I'm sexist you're an oversensitive, menstruating, hysterical lady-pussy!!!" Okay, that last bit is an exaggeration, but only slightly.

Dear Mr Wendler, just stop.

• Like 1

Welp, my first personal training session ever is scheduled for Saturday morning. In addition to making sure I am doing things properly, I am hoping that this will ease my transition into the lifting room (at the new place). Unlike where I had been going, the racks and whatnot are in a separate room. I always feel discomfort slightly less than I would feel walking into the men's locker room. No one has been rude or anything (and truth be told, I'd rip someone a new one if they were), but I still feel like I am trespassing. Stupid maybe, but there it is. I hope actual instruction will help me feel less self-consciously out of place.

• Like 2

It's not stupid, I felt very self-conscious too, at first. Especially when I was looking around trying to figure out which were the power racks and which were the squat racks, where to find kettlebells, and so on. But once you've done it a few times you'll know what exercise you're doing, where it is, and you'll just walk right up to it, and, if necessary, say "Hey man, how many sets do you have left?" like a boss. 

• Like 2

I think we all felt the same way the first time we started lifting at the gym. @Harriet is right, you'll soon fit right in. You soon realise that most people don't care and are too self absorbed to notice. As long as you don't curl in the squat rack. 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, Katerina said:

And I also am not anti-ed; I am (also?) a teacher. :) (I figure if you have a MEd, you are likely a teacher.)

Yay teachers! (Technically I'm a faculty development coordinator. I miss teaching.)

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, GodzillaKong said:

We're nerds (or, in my case, a nerd who is shit at nerd things) and that's what makes us great.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, Katerina said:

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:57 AM, GodzillaKong said:

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:48 AM, Katerina said:

Yea, if "Nerd" = "Gamer" then I'm in the wrong place myself. I'm only just barely competent at Tetris. I wouldn't recognize a Skyrim setting if you painted it on my ceiling.

giphy.gif

13.png

In other news - delighted to hear that you are seeing a trainer to get some solid basics on the barbells, absolutely brilliant next move. I say this specifically as the woman who tried to figure out low bar back squat by reading books about it for two years before breaking down and hiring a trainer - which gave said trainer a big large impressive pile of form problems to help me correct!

• Like 1