Fail to Plan = Plan to Fail

Tides

Wow, time for my 4th challenge already! I've successfully integrated walking into my morning routine, cleaned out my living spaces and gotten rid of a lot of useless clutter and knickknacks, gotten pretty good at completing at least 5 days of 10,000 steps, and have renewed my interest and commitment to the Nerd Fitness Academy goals and ideals. Where to go from here? I think it's time to take a close look at my goals and start creating some plans. For this challenge, I will be going through the academy modules and planning out a rough timeline of quests and other elements. I'm a huge planner in everything I do, and I know that having a written roadmap will help me stay accountable and on track. I'll also be working on a few other things to help me get started strong on a few bigger goals I have. So here we go!

Raksha's Challenge Goals

Goal One: Create an Academy Roadmap and Timeline

By the end of this challenge, I will have gone through the 3 Academy modules, written down the quests contained therein, and planned out a month of progress incorporating those three modules and several of the quests. Since some of the quests are easy to accomplish, and some take a longer amount of time, I feel that this planning will allow me to complete several quests in the most efficient manner. Plus I want to make sure I don't miss anything that can be connected to other goals or quests. 

Goal Two: Begin the Workouts

One area of the Academy I'm already familiar with is the workouts. I had sporadically completed the first body weight workout, but never really fully committed. That changes now. I will complete the 1st level of body weight workouts (that workouts 1A and 1B for fellow academy member) consistently. I will workout 3 times a week, probably Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, completing either 1A or 1B. This will continue for the whole challenge.

Goal Three: Find my Zen

As the school year progresses, I find that my temper gets shorter and shorter, and that my stress rises and rises. I snap at the kids when I get stressed, or get a little sarcastic when they ask a question for the fourth time that day. I know I need to learn to manage better, so that's going to be a specific goal during this challenge. So, the goal is multi-faceted. First, I will make myself pause before responding to the kids negatively. I made a little sign for my desk to help me remember. I am also going to set aside time daily for a relaxing activity, such as working on some art or completing a puzzle. I have reminders ready to help keep myself calm and collected, even when the kids get a little silly. I'll be tracking my stress relief efforts versus my mess ups and see how I do.

• Like 1

~ The Tides Rise And Fall ~

Battle Log of the Tides

23 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Sounds awesome! I've done the same thing to try tick off as many of those Academy quests as possible. Now I've done a bunch of the easy ones it takes more focus because there are a lot of long-term ones left! Good on you for making a plan, and best luck for sticking to it! :D

Thank you very much! I find that I'm the most motivated when I am crossing things off of a list and working towards 100% completion of a goal. I got into video games for the same reasons, because it was an immersive activity that allowed me to cross things off a list and work towards 100% of a goal. I'm the type who sits there in Zelda and fishes for 3 hours because doing so will catch me the Hylian Loach and earn a piece of heart. It's all about completion, and knowing that I can work towards changing my habit in a way that pleases my brain and tricks it into wanting more. 

• Like 1

Battle Log of the Tides

53 minutes ago, Raksha said:

Thank you very much! I find that I'm the most motivated when I am crossing things off of a list and working towards 100% completion of a goal. I got into video games for the same reasons, because it was an immersive activity that allowed me to cross things off a list and work towards 100% of a goal. I'm the type who sits there in Zelda and fishes for 3 hours because doing so will catch me the Hylian Loach and earn a piece of heart. It's all about completion, and knowing that I can work towards changing my habit in a way that pleases my brain and tricks it into wanting more. 

I'm the same! When I played Skyrim I printed off a 30-page list of all the quests to conplete. I probably went slightly mad searching every nook and cranny of every dungeon, but it was very fun and satisfying ;)

I find the star system in the Academy quest list is very helpful because you can use it to filter out all the ones you don't want to do. I'm not interested in rowing or cycling so I don't need those clogging up my to-do list!

>_<

Guys, what do you do if your biggest obstacle to success is your own inability to remember to do things? Because I apparently have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to remembering to complete workouts. I made notes, put them up, even looked right at them and had coherent thoughts that this was indeed a thing to be done, and then poof! next thing I know it's late at night and I'm tucked into bed and just drifting off when I remember I forgot to complete my workout. The first week of the challenge was good. I did my workouts Monday, Wednesday and Friday as planned. Week two comes up (that's this last week) and bam, nothing! I miss all three days without even realizing my failure. Now, I have been adding walking to my lunch break routine now, but still, the task was so simple and my brain just so oblivious! Bah, I've got to do better this week!

The other tasks are proceeding nicely. A roadmap is coming together, at least of the overall timeline of the main academy quests. I'm not even going to look at the guild quests yet. Who knows what wormhole that will open. Of course now we're heading into the holiday season, and the urge to set it all aside is strong. I prevail so far, but the struggle is real.

On the zen front, things are going better. I've found a very therapeutic way of dealing with stress at school, and it's productive as well! I need a couple thousand tiny butterflies for a project being planned for the end of the school year, and so I've traced several hundred already and prepared a stack to be cut out. When I feel stressed or need a moment, I cut out a few butterflies! It gives me time to pause and breathe.

Battle Log of the Tides