Shadowlion's Tiny Challenge

ShadowLion

After too many challenges away, I'm back. It's been a long, strange trip which has, hopefully, made me a wiser shadow lion...

I am building my challenge out of several other small challenges, sort of like challenge "lego bricks."

Tiny Habits

First, I am using the the five day "Tiny Habits' challenge starting tomorrow to kick things off. I expect to roll these over and build on them as I progress through the four weeks of this challenge. They are tiny, and that's the point. If you aren't already familiar with the concept, you can read more about the theory and method of tiny habits here. I will be following these 3 rules the first week of this challenge.

• After I turn off my morning alarm, I will do one visualization
  • After I brush my teeth in the evening, I will floss one tooth
  • After I lay down in bed, I will recall one happy memory

Vegetarian Challenge

Second, I have a goal of eating a vegetarian diet at least 90% of the time by Jan. 1, 2019. I've come to the conclusion that my previous efforts failed because of not really understanding how to keep my macros in healthy balance and get enough of the other nutrients I needed so that I did not crave meat. I'm giving this effort another shot, using this 30 day challenge as a more gradual 60ish day plan. That will overlap nicely with this challenge and next.

Just What the Doctor Ordered

Third. Recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, I need to use a pressurized airway device at night while I sleep. This condition carries a "compliance" requirement with my health insurance. I am still in the "adaptation" window and doing well, but my competitive streak wants to do REALLY WELL. That, and the doctor put the fear into me with what untreated or poorly treated OSA can lead to. Luckily, they have a "coaching" app that assigns points and let's me see ALL THE DATA! My nerdish side is very motivated by that.

lioness-sleeping-and.jpg

This photo of Lion and Safari Park is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Photo of a sleeping (and snoring) lioness. Sleeping good; snoring, not. 

Preparing for the Adventure of a Lifetime

Finally, I am easing into a more active exercise routine using some of the ideas from "Tiny Habits' grafted onto some things I was already doing to decrease the amount of sitting I do at work–stretches at my desk, breaks of stair laps or walking or a few bodyweight exercises. I will track these on my spreadsheet and summarize weekly here. This is part of a larger, secret plan I am hatching with a good friend of mine (with whom I have another 30 day health and happiness challenge going). I will gradually reveal details as they coalesce...

adventure1.jpg

Hmmm, not such a tiny challenge after all, but neither is it one of the overwhelming Shadowlion challenges of old. Finding my balance with four smallish mini challenges rolled into one larger one.

I am still finalizing my point system for the above and will update that in my next post here. 

Woot! New Nerd Fitness challenge, and my first one as a 60-year-old!!!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Following! I'm so glad you are back. Welcome home.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following! I'm so glad you are back. Welcome home.

@Tanktimus the Encourager Hi, Tank! It's good to be back home.

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back!

@Elastigirl Thanks, Elastigirl! (Great signature quotes, btw)

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'll be tracking my daily accomplishments (or lack thereof) the day after as two of my mini habits are at bedtime.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Day One

Tiny Habits

√ After I turn off my morning alarm, I will do one visualization

√ After I brush my teeth in the evening, I will floss one tooth

√ After I lay down in bed, I will recall one happy memory

Vegetarian Challenge

100% vegetarian. Bonus: 2 fruits, 4 vegetables

91 Sleep Score

6:12 Sleep Time

Milestone: Had lowest AHI index yet - 0.8

5 stair laps, desk stretches

Other

X Point system not finalized

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

8 hours ago, Jakkals said:

Following.

Hi!  :cheerful:

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Day Two

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

100% vegetarian. Bonus: 2 fruits, 4 vegetables

Two meals only, plus some nuts for a snack. Not hungry with all the veggies!

Mmmm - Made a bean and quinoa burrito with a little cheese, guacamole and some fresh spinach. I'm liking quinoa and I'm liking my Instant Pot!

90 Sleep Score

6:01 Sleep Time

Milestone: Highest AHI index - 5.4 (higher is not better)

10 wall pushups, 10 modified ring rows, 10 tricep extensions

Other

X Point system not finalized yet

1 hour working on my homework for the online entrepreneurship class I am taking - choosing my audience unit

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

ERMAGHERD SHADOWLION IS BACK! WELCOME BACK! :cheerful::cheerful::cheerful:

On 10/22/2018 at 7:21 AM, ShadowLion said:

I am still in the "adaptation" window and doing well, but my competitive streak wants to do REALLY WELL. That, and the doctor put the fear into me with what untreated or poorly treated OSA can lead to. Luckily, they have a "coaching" app that assigns points and let's me see ALL THE DATA! My nerdish side is very motivated by that.

All this sounds way too familiar and you've proven you can ROCK THIS!

page_72_thumb_large.jpg

On 10/22/2018 at 7:21 AM, ShadowLion said:

but neither is it one of the overwhelming Shadowlion challenges of old.

I can't help but notice a distinct lack of acronyms...

• Like 2

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Day Three

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

Meat day, in accordance with the "phase out" plan, 5 veggies

83 Sleep Score :-(

5:16 Sleep Time

AHI index 1.5

5 stair laps, desk stretches; 10 modified ring rows, 10 tricep extensions

Other

X Point system still not finalized

Day Four

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

100% vegetarian. but ate a lot of junk

90 Sleep Score

6:08 Sleep Time

AHI index - 0.8 

5 stair laps, desk a lot of desk stretches

Other

2 hours working on my homework for the online entrepreneurship class I am taking

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

12 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

ERMAGHERD SHADOWLION IS BACK! WELCOME BACK! :cheerful::cheerful::cheerful:

All this sounds way too familiar and you've proven you can ROCK THIS!

page_72_thumb_large.jpg

D_R!!!!! IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK! :cheerful::cheerful::cheerful:

Planning on rocking this challenge and many more challenges to come!

I will have to see what I can do about the acronyms. That may have to wait until next challenge, though. I do have some acronyms that go with my latest venture.

Hmmm, I do think you just gave me the theme for my next challenge and I know what my challenge feature photo will be! (Not the Amazon - as much fun as that would be to do again - I have something in mind that you will like, given your interest in gaming.)

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Great week 1 !

Thanks, Elastigirl! So far, so good.

Want to keep my momentum strong!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

13 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

was thinking the same thing...

1 hour ago, ShadowLion said:

I will have to see what I can do about the acronyms. That may have to wait until next challenge, though. I do have some acronyms that go with my latest venture

aha!

Cool that you are working on some of the goals with a friend. I'll also be curious to hear.

I'm also working toward ~90% vegetarian. I think it's a good goal, or at least it is for me.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 10/26/2018 at 5:35 PM, Xena said:

was thinking the same thing...

aha!

Cool that you are working on some of the goals with a friend. I'll also be curious to hear.

I'm also working toward ~90% vegetarian. I think it's a good goal, or at least it is for me.

Hi Xena!!!

Acronyms will return. :playful:  And, I will reveal more on the epic adventure plans soon. 

Yes, a good goal. The big thing for me is retraining years of ingrained eating habits and learning to cook in such a way as to get all the essential nutrients from a vegetarian diet. Definitely challenging sometimes, but doable. Maybe someday I can go completely veg, but working my way to 90% over a couple months should have a pretty significant positive impact.

Right now, I am eating meat in meals or snacks three or four times per week, and eating smaller quantities. The goal is to get to one or two times a week, 8 oz or less per week. I can reassess when I get to that point or the 60 day mark, whichever comes first.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

20 hours ago, ShadowLion said:

Yes, a good goal. The big thing for me is retraining years of ingrained eating habits and learning to cook in such a way as to get all the essential nutrients from a vegetarian diet. Definitely challenging sometimes, but doable. Maybe someday I can go completely veg, but working my way to 90% over a couple months should have a pretty significant positive impact.

One thing I'm struggling with is how to cook for guests. I am doing ok for myself, but I don't really know what constitutes a presentable or moderately special vegetarian meal.

Oh...and I'm actually aiming for 90% pescetarian. Forgot to mention, I haven't cut out seafood and have actually increased it a bit. It's still definitely vegetarian about 75% of the time.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Day Five

Tiny Habits

After I turn off my morning alarm, I will do one visualization

X After I brush my teeth in the evening, I will floss one tooth

After I lay down in bed, I will recall one happy memory

Vegetarian Challenge

Meat day, in accordance with the "phase out" plan - one serving turkey, 5 veggies

92 Sleep Score

6:11 Sleep Time

0.8 AHI index 

5 stair laps, desk stretches; 10 modified ring rows, 10 tricep extensions

Other

Day Six

Tiny Habits

After I brush my teeth in the evening, I will floss one tooth

Vegetarian Challenge

100% vegetarian, Bonus: 1 fruit, 5 veggies

100 Sleep Score - WOOT!

8 hours Sleep Time

AHI index - 1.5 

Rest day, just doing stuff around house

Other

1 hour working on my homework for the online entrepreneurship class I am taking

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Good to see you back, ShadowLion! It looks like you're having a good start to the challenge, well done!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Hi, @Rhovaniel! This challenge is going pretty well. Thanks!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

It was a crazy week. I managed to keep up with my challenge goals, but not with posting. Catching up now...

Day Seven

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

100% vegetarian, 2 fruits, 3 veggies

100 Sleep Score

7:33 hours Sleep Time

AHI index - 1.3

Rest day, just doing stuff around house

Other

2 hours working on my homework for the online entrepreneurship class I am taking

========

Day Eight

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

Mostly vegetarian (I meal - 2 oz meat); 2 fruits, 3 veggies

100 Sleep Score

8:00 hours Sleep Time

AHI index - 1.0

5 Stair Laps

Other

1.5 hours working on my homework for the online entrepreneurship class I am taking

========

Day Nine

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

100% vegetarian; Bonus: 2 fruits, 4 veggies

100 Sleep Score

7:32 hours Sleep Time

AHI index - 1.5

5 Stair Laps

Other

1 hour working on my homework for the online entrepreneurship class I am taking

========

Day Ten

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

Meat Day, 1 meal/6oz meat; 3 fruits, 2 veggies

100 Sleep Score

7:45 hours Sleep Time

AHI index - 1.8

No exercise

Other

========

Day Eleven

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

100% vegetarian; 1 fruits, 2 veggies

100 Sleep Score

7:40 hours Sleep Time

AHI index - 1.8

5 Stair laps

Other

1 hour working on my homework for the online entrepreneurship class I am taking

========

Day Twelve

Tiny Habits

Vegetarian Challenge

Meat day, 1 meal/5oz meat; 1 fruits, 3 veggies

100 Sleep Score

8:02 hours Sleep Time

AHI index - 0.7

5 Stair laps

Other

1.5 hours working on my homework for the online entrepreneurship class I am taking

========

Summary

100% on Tiny Habits

Acceptable on Vegetarian eating, on plan. No to so great on veggies this week. 

Did great on Sleep Score and time - 100 for 7 days straight!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

On 11/4/2018 at 3:36 PM, Xena said:

meh. You seem to be kicking ass without it.

Thanks, Xena - It doesn't seem to be that motivating to me or I'd take the time to do it! :biggrin-new:

Catching up - been doing pretty well on most of my goals, just have been short on time... Updating with a running tally of tiny habits and averages of the others so my progress report is not so boring.

Nov 4 - Nov 13, 10 days

Tiny Habits

• After I turn off my morning alarm, I will do one visualization
  • After I brush my teeth in the evening, I will floss one tooth
  • After I lay down in bed, I will recall one happy memory

3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3

Technically, I completed the second tiny habit last night, but I've been flossing all of my teeth every night (a testament to the effectiveness of this habit-forming method!) despite the "one tooth" tinyness. I only did the one tooth minimum last night so I could keep my 17 day streak on the 100 sleep score alive. See below.

Vegetarian Challenge

80% Vegetarian, averaging 5 fruits and veggies per day. Aiming to get to 90% vegetarian and 8+ fruits and veggies per day by Jan. 1, 2019, so sort of okay the last 10 days. Didn't plan well enough for the extra time and shopping it takes to prepare meals these days and I cut corners, though. Filled in with too much cheese and processed carbs just because it was easier. Have a plan to do better on that this coming week. 

:D 100 Sleep Score - 17 days straight!!!!! :D

I'll tabulate each night and average out the minutes and AHI at the end of the challenge. It's all in the sleep app. Unfortunately, the company doesn't have an open API for it, so I can't automatically retrieve the data and run calculations or do visualizations with it. That would be cool. I'm being a lazy programmer and putting off having to enter the data by hand!

To maintain the perfect score, I have to get a least 7 hours each night of time with my device on. I've been generally getting about 7.5 hours, but last night I barely got in bed in time to make 7 before I had to be up this morning. Down to the minute! (Why I did the minimum on my flossing last night. Didn't want to break my streak!)

I am up to 9 stair laps at work as of today, from 5 on Nov. 3, and I am generally doing two in a row instead of one. Almost ready to bump it up to three consecutive at least part of the time and I have picked up a little speed, too. This is 4x per week, as I work one day from home. Walk and do strength exercises the other days. 

Other

Point system still not finalized - I'm dropping this one. As Xena pointed out, it isn't really needed. 

Been doing well with my homework, averaging between 1 - 1.5 hours per day

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the progress. Tiny habits work!

• Like 5

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir