• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stellarhime

Karlie's first challenge

Hello! My name's Karlie, and I'm a college student from Ohio. I've been reading NF articles for a while now, and I decided to finally take some action, and what better way to hold myself accountable than to put it out for the world to read? I enjoy playing video games (nintendo owns my soul), watching og anime, sewing, and I'm kinda a music guru. I'm up to talk about anything nerdy, not just fitness!

My Main Quest:

I've always been skinny, but not strong, so want to build up muscle and be able to lift my dog, who is about 45 lbs.

My SMART goals:

1) Do 2 sets of the NF bodyweight workout 3x a week

2) Eat veggies with at least one meal a day

3) Drink ~40oz of water a day 

4) Increase my calorie intake by 250 every week

These goals seem like they can be achievable even with my hectic schedule. The hardest part is that I do work in a gourmet food store, where samples and chocolate are plenty. I do pretty good though, so I don't see too many issues coming from that. I'm excited to get started, and to have you all along for the ride!

I attached a photo of my dogs too, cause they're adorable and everyone should see them

IMG_0877.jpg

• Like 1

Day 1:

Started out strong! I don't eat breakfast, so I made a lunch of scrambled eggs, potatoes, and broccoli. Then I went to class and got everything done that I needed to, and did 2 sets of the bodyweight workout, though for now I have to sub to wall pushups because I can't do a regular one yet (one of my next goals!) Though for dinner I got off track because my mom surprised me with mexican takeout, and I couldn't refuse, lol. That definitely increased my calories though!! As of the time of writing this, I drank about 30oz of water, so a decent start there too!

I already made my lunch and dinner for tomorrow, and hopefully get in some light stretching on my rest day! 

• Like 3

Welcome to the rebellion! Personally I believe any goal you have is not going to be reached if it doesn't allow for flexibility, I hope you enjoyed the time with mom :) and the dogs are very adorable!!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RES said:

Welcome to the rebellion! Personally I believe any goal you have is not going to be reached if it doesn't allow for flexibility, I hope you enjoyed the time with mom :) and the dogs are very adorable!!  

thank you! It was a nice night! And the dogs are very annoying, but the cuteness makes up for it, lol 

• Haha 1

Day 2:

Tuesdays are the worst for me. I'm on campus from 9am-9pm filled with all kinds of meetings and classes and not much room for anything else. But, lunch was chicken breasts with carrots, and dinner was chipotle, which I got a chicken, rice, and cheese bowl, and a granola bar in between. Still doing okay with drinking about 35ish oz of water, hopefully tomorrow I'll hit that goal since it's a workout day! I think I ate around 800 calories today, so I definitely want to try drinking some milk or buying nut snacks to increase that amount without resorting to junk food. 

14 hours ago, Exylem said:

I'm not sure if you do it, but have you considered bringing an apple or another fruit with you to the campus? It worked for me for some time :)

That's a good idea! I've had bad luck with fruits before cause I would buy a whole bunch and then not eat them, so maybe i'll try buying like 3 apples or bananas and go from there! 

• Like 2

Day 3:

I'm already noticing some small changes, especially in my stomach, ha! I'm not used to eating that much fiber regularly, so my stomach is rebelling a bit. I noticed the protein and veggies combo has me feeling fuller than ever, which makes increasing my calories tough. Once I get to the grocery store again I'll try to find some easy ways I can incorporate that! Today's lunch was scrambled eggs, carrots, and sweet potatoes, and I did 2 sets of the bodyweight workout. Dinner was 1.5 chicken breasts and the leftover sides. On Wednesdays I have a kickboxing class that I paid for, so I got an extra workout(it's less cardio and more technical based, but still gets me moving) My sparring partner kicked the absolute crap out of me, so I left bruised and irritable :( I bought myself a chocolate mocha from starbucks (a whopping 300 calories!) and it helped my abused body and ego, lol. I did drink 40oz of water today, so hurray for small victories! 

• Like 1

Day 4:

Another rest day! 3 hard boiled eggs and more potatoes and carrots were for lunch. My sister and I went out to dinner, so I had chicken noodle soup, a salad, and a roll, so that helped with the extra calories. I also bought some trail mix from my work that's mostly nuts, so hopefully that will help in the upcoming weeks. I also drank 40oz of water again, so yay! Mostly today was dealing with the soreness from yesterday, so nothing new to report. 

• Like 1

Day 5 and 6:

Kinda fell off the horse Friday and Saturday. I woke up Friday morning feeling pretty sick and could only get through 1.2 sets of the bodyweight workout. I also realized that I ran out of veggies to eat, and wouldn't have a chance to go to the grocery store again until Sunday. Plus, I had work all day both days so I couldn't stop to eat or drink more. Not only that, but some personal stuff came up that blindsided me so I had to really focus on getting that under control. Got knocked down a few pegs, but Sunday is a new day, and hopefully in between working and finishing all my schoolwork I can get back on track. No excuses, what's done is done, and it's time to move forward

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 2:00 PM, RES said:

Great job! Kickboxing almost killed me when I tried it last year, but it is a great workout

It is! My instructor tends to really focus on form rather than just working out, so my muscles are engaged, but much less cardio than i expected!  I still go though because I paid a decent amount of money for it :P 

• Like 1

Day 7 and 8:

It's kinda amazing how making your own meals and doing a workout makes you feel like you have your crap together! I went to the store early Sunday morning and got the food I needed for the week, and got back to doing 2 sets of the bodyweight workout again! Lunch was chicken and rice with a veggie medley, and while dinner was planned to be the same, my work had a ton of tortilla soup left over so I took it home and ate that instead of wasting it. A very satisfying choice :D I don't remember how much water I drank, but probably not enough since I was working most of the day. Same goes for the calories, though I did snack a little bit more at work, so I might've added some here and there.

Today I felt awesome, no joke. I ate the leftover chicken and rice for both lunch and dinner, and had a piece of cherry pie my professor baked because we finished a huge project! I did sneak in a class of chocolate milk too, and a handful of trail mix, to up my calories (though I should probably start counting again just so I can keep track of how much I'm eating) And I know I'm supposed to rest in between days, but I felt so pumped that I did 2.5 sets of the bodyweight workout, and did 20lbs weights instead of 10 on the dumbbell rows, but I did cut the reps in half.

I'm proud that I picked myself up after an awful start to the weekend, and I'm ready for what's next!! 

• Like 1

Day 8:

I've become kinda bad at posting, oops! I've had late nights this whole week so staying up even an extra 10 minutes to update sounded draining. Tuesday I ate chicken, potatoes, and green beans for lunch, and chipotle for dinner. I can't remember how much water I drank, but I think somewhere around 30 oz. It was a rest day but also a hectic day, so I didn't do or eat much beyond that

Day 9:

I like the days where I have the time to prepare meals and focus on the workout. Scrambled eggs, cauliflower rice, and sweet potatoes were both lunch and dinner, with a glass of chocolate milk somewhere in between. I again did 2.5 of the bodyweight workout with 20lbs dumbbells and feel like this will be the new routine until I get stronger to do 3 sets! I went to kickboxing tonight too, which I'm really starting to not enjoy anymore, because it's all technical and how to win an actual fight when I joined the class because I wanted to hit things and get some anger out, lol. I paid $55 though, so I'm only still going because of that and because it's almost the end of the semester anyway. I was also spent from the bodyweight sets, so I was tired and my form sloppy, so my instructor kept critiquing me and I was getting more frustrated instead of releasing that frustration. Drank around 30 oz of water again

Day 10:

Another rest day, so I did exactly that, ha! Unfortunately, I had a lack of planning today in terms of my meals, so I ended having an awful chicken sandwich from the dining hall that tasted as bad as it sounds, and pizza for dinner. I honestly felt bad I didn't eat one thing healthy today, and I want to get back to that tomorrow. Honestly, it's incredible to me how my mindset has changed in just these few weeks, having junk food makes me feel gross and tired, but when I eat healthy I notice I have a lot more energy. Though that time of the month is near, so it probably has something to do with that as well. Didn't drink a whole lot either D: it was just a bad day health wise, but I'm taking this opportunity to rest and then hit everything hard again tomorrow! 

• Like 1

Day 11:

I honestly do not remember what I did Friday, probably because I didn't have class or work. I believe I did 2.5 sets of the bodyweight workout, i had chicken and veggies for lunch but pizza was for dinner because all I have were leftovers and I didn't feel like cooking anything. Nothing else of note happened on Friday

Day 12:

I had a long day at work on Saturday, so lunch was more pizza and dinner was leftover soup. I definitely did not eat veggies or drink enough water, and I just felt very bleh and exhausted. I went to bed pretty early and all in all had a boring weekend.

Day 13:

I swear, this weekend was just a blur in my mind. When I wasn't at work, I was just sleeping, so it really was uneventful. Sunday was another long day at work, and when I work long hours in retail, I don't have a lot of opportunities to work on any of my goals. I did drink a lot of water on sunday, so at least I can check that on the list! 

Day 14:

Monday, I got back on the horse after a crappy weekend. Unfortunately, mother nature decided to pay me a visit :( I am all bloated and gross, and I'm craving a lot of sugar and carbs. My body is in a lot of pain but I did manage to make 2 of the bodyweight workout, and I drank about 30 oz of water. No veggies again, but I did have chicken and pasta for lunch and dinner. I've got a busy week ahead of me too, so we'll see how this week goes

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 8:24 PM, RES said:

Great job, yes kickboxing is not a cheap sport by any means

It's not! Even with my student discount it was still expensive. But I only have 3 or 4 more classes left so I'll just stick it out til the end!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 2:34 PM, Deuce said:

Nice work on getting your workout in even though you weren't feeling well.  I'm not very good at that!

Ugh it took everything in me to workout haha! I did have to wait until the advil kicked in, because the thought of working out while my inner organs decide to rebel isn't fun :'D

• Like 1

Day 15:

Tuesday was a very long and exhausting day. I had to rely on leftovers of chicken and pasta for both lunch and dinner because there was literally no time to prepare anything else. I had class all day, went and voted, and then I went to see a concert so I was on my feet all night. I did drink enough water, but that was about it.

Day 16:

I had chicken and rice for both lunch and dinner, but I didn't have time to throw in some more veggies into the microwave before I had to leave for the day, boo! I had a mocha from starbucks and a danish so I definitely increased my calorie intack, lol. I did drink a lot of water, and I made the decision to not do the bodyweight workout because I had kickboxing later that night, and as last week taught me, doing both is kinda murder on my body at the moment. I felt kinda bad I skipped though, especially since the rest of the week didn't go as well either.

Day 17:

This week has been rough eating wise due to the fact I didn't have a lot of time to do the prepwork. I had a turkey sandwich with pretzels and cookies for lunch, but I was determined to have a healthy dinner so I made a lot of scrambled eggs, and had a rice vegetable medley and immediately felt better. I don't think I drank a lot of water, though

Day 18:

Friday I ate like crap. Pizza for lunch and fast food for dinner because that's what was on hand. I worked all day, had half an hour to change, and then it was on the road again to another concert where I stayed for 6 hours before getting home and immediately passing out. I did get a small workout because of all the dancing I did, but definitely not anything near the bodyweight workout. I would've done it before work that morning, but I feel awful if I workout before getting anything to eat, and I didn't want to eat so early. Some excuses and some things to work on, but I just need to do better next time!

Day 19:

More work, yay. Not a lot to eat or drink, lunch was leftover pizza and dinner was a pulled pork sandwich and fries, plus a donut and a bunch of snacks from work (my manager kept giving me them and I'm a poor college student, I never say no to free food!)Though the rest of the weekend I have time to meal prep, I'm excited to eat healthier again! I miss the energy I get and how much better I feel too. I did do 2 sets of the bodyweight workout, which I oddly missed doing! Last month I would've told you you were crazy if you said I'd miss doing a workout. It's the small changes like that that make me excited to keep going and keep doing better so I can hit my goals! 

• Like 1