• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Scalyfreak

Scalyfreak stumbles along, sort of

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

 

Good guess, but no. The RLCS event is at the Orleans. :) 

 

That would have been my second guess.

 

Damn. Now I want Oysters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops, I liked the weird face twice. Oh well, it deserves it. I would have trouble not asking it questions. 
"How did you die, mysterious one?"
"What secrets can you see with those glittery green owl eyes?"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Oops, I liked the weird face twice. Oh well, it deserves it. I would have trouble not asking it questions. 
"How did you die, mysterious one?"
"What secrets can you see with those glittery green owl eyes?"

 

It's Vegas, you probably don't want to know either of those answers.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Grumble said:

 

It's Vegas, you probably don't want to know either of those answers.


You guys. I am going to write this down in my writing journal (where I've been collecting silly ideas). It should become a story one day. But obv I need to visit Vegas. For research purposes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 12:56 PM, scalyfreak said:

Not weird either. (Actually not,  by Vegas standards. )

 

20181110_125615.jpg


I like to imagine he comes alive at 3am, when all the party goers have fallen asleep. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 3:56 PM, scalyfreak said:

Not weird either. (Actually not,  by Vegas standards. )

 

20181110_125615.jpg

 

22 hours ago, Harriet said:


I like to imagine he comes alive at 3am, when all the party goers have fallen asleep. 

Giant croc versus Vegas all you can eat midnight buffet. Coming soon to SyFy channel.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

 

Giant croc versus Vegas all you can eat midnight buffet. Coming soon to SyFy channel.

 


But in order to stop him eating the guests, they have to start offering strange meat* at the buffet.... 

*Definitely not the remains of people who tried to cheat at cards

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 6:04 PM, Harriet said:

Now, instead of a few hours of laying half awake and a few hours of sleep, I fall asleep quickly and regularly sleep through the entire night. 

I am envious. Some nights are good for me; some are bad, and there is no obvious pattern. Perhaps in time with regular workouts  (sigh).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2018 at 11:35 AM, farflight said:

What tends to work best for me is realizing everything is okay, no matter what. Life, reality, the universe, EVERYTHING IS okay, I just might not be okay with it.

Marcus Aurelius would approve :) If you haven't read The Meditations, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, time for another update. I am officially back from vacation, and today was the longest work day ever.

 

1.Physical stress management

1a. Go to the gym three days per week.  Progress this week: 0/3 Progress overall: 8/12

1b. Stop eating like you’re still in college. Giving up on this one, at least the tracking part. I will continue to pay attention and make smart choices to the best of my ability though. I wil restart this when I am not travelling half the challenge period. Progress 7/28 Forfeit

 

2. Mental stress management

This is going to be the exact same as the last challenge:

2a. Mediate every day, without fail. I replaced this with vacation, and it was awesome. Now, I get the fun, fun challenge of navigating Family Events through the holidays. Mediation must resume at all costs! Progress: 13/28

2b. Get enough sleep. I slept great while I was on vacation! Progress: 15/28

 

3.The Happiness Factor

Now that I have a working definition of happiness, it’s time to start working actively to getting myself to that point.

3a. Set up a full recycling central at home, so as little as possible goes in the trash.

Partially on hold since I am not at home. Am reading in the Facebook group, to educate myself while I'm waiting to get back home.

3b. Get a hobby.

1st choice: Tabletop RPGs, focus D&D 5th Edition.

2nd choice: Build a new gaming PC. 

I have been thoroughly distracted from all other hobbies by the NaNoWriMo emails I apparently have been subscribed to since I signed up for Camp NaNo in the summer. So since writing seemed like so much fun suddenly, I installed QuollWriter and imported my world building notes and stared taking down ideas. I've also wandered around on the NaNoWriMo website and started posting in the SciFi forum, and I'm reasonably certain I found @Gemma on there as well. Building a world for my story is way more fun than I expected! If anyone knows anything about closed water recycling systems of the kind necessary for orbital space stations inhabited by humans, please share... :) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

 

 

I have been thoroughly distracted from all other hobbies by the NaNoWriMo emails I apparently have been subscribed to since I signed up for Camp NaNo in the summer. So since writing seemed like so much fun suddenly, I installed QuollWriter and imported my world building notes and stared taking down ideas. I've also wandered around on the NaNoWriMo website and started posting in the SciFi forum, and I'm reasonably certain I found @Gemma on there as well. Building a world for my story is way more fun than I expected! If anyone knows anything about closed water recycling systems of the kind necessary for orbital space stations inhabited by humans, please share... :) 

 

Hey - I see you!

 

"NaNoWriMo ate my brain" is a very real thing, and my principal excuse for why my current challenge has fallen entirely off the rails and I haven't been on these forums in weeks. Worldbuilding rocks. I spent more time than I should admit yesterday researching pros and cons of particle beam vs. pulsed-energy weapons, and contemplating the possibilities of a vibrational energetics based magic system.

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gemma said:

pros and cons of particle beam vs. pulsed-energy weapons,

 

That sounds like one of the most fascinating rabbit holes ever...! I am very much looking forward to researching cybernetics, when I get to that part of the world building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 9:10 PM, scalyfreak said:

 

I have been thoroughly distracted from all other hobbies by the NaNoWriMo emails I apparently have been subscribed to since I signed up for Camp NaNo in the summer. So since writing seemed like so much fun suddenly, I installed QuollWriter and imported my world building notes and stared taking down ideas. I've also wandered around on the NaNoWriMo website and started posting in the SciFi forum, and I'm reasonably certain I found @Gemma on there as well. Building a world for my story is way more fun than I expected! If anyone knows anything about closed water recycling systems of the kind necessary for orbital space stations inhabited by humans, please share... :) 


Wow, are you writing a science fiction novel? That sounds awesome. Building worlds is the power of gods, so writers must be in some way divine. 

 

16 hours ago, Gemma said:

 

"NaNoWriMo ate my brain" is a very real thing, and my principal excuse for why my current challenge has fallen entirely off the rails and I haven't been on these forums in weeks. Worldbuilding rocks. I spent more time than I should admit yesterday researching pros and cons of particle beam vs. pulsed-energy weapons, and contemplating the possibilities of a vibrational energetics based magic system.

 


OMG you're both writing science fiction novels??? This sounds completely excellent. Do you both already have experience writing? It seems kind of daunting to create n entire world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a short creative writing class in high school, but aside from that I haven't really taken classes in creative writing at all. I've been dabbling in it for as long as I can remember, and read books about it, but that's it. A very large portion of my day job is to write process documents, learning guides, and practice scenarios, so my brain has well developed writing muscles , they just aren't used to working on a novel. About six months ago, a friend at work introduced me to NaNoWriMo and encouraged me to try out Camp NaNo.

 

And now I'm working on building a world for a small group of people who run a bar on a space station near an asteroid belt, so I can get to know them, and write down their story. :) 

 

World building was daunting, because I started out having no idea what I was doing. My friend introduced me to this excellent world building template, and now it's fun. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I took a short creative writing class in high school, but aside from that I haven't really taken classes in creative writing at all. I've been dabbling in it for as long as I can remember, and read books about it, but that's it. A very large portion of my day job is to write process documents, learning guides, and practice scenarios, so my brain has well developed writing muscles , they just aren't used to working on a novel. About six months ago, a friend at work introduced me to NaNoWriMo and encouraged me to try out Camp NaNo.

 

And now I'm working on building a world for a small group of people who run a bar on a space station near an asteroid belt, so I can get to know them, and write down their story. :) 

 

World building was daunting, because I started out having no idea what I was doing. My friend introduced me to this excellent world building template, and now it's fun. 

 

Awesome! Dabbling is great. Dabbling is much, much better than never starting because you don't think you have the expertise.

 

I love the template, especially "Species restrictions on professions".... "Damnit Louis, I've told you three times this week I can't accept your application. You know we don't make astronaut helmets for cybernetic space horses!"

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2018 at 9:08 PM, Harriet said:

"Damnit Louis, I've told you three times this week I can't accept your application. You know we don't make astronaut helmets for cybernetic space horses!"

 

Quoll Writer has a feature they call Warm-Up, where it gives you a random prompt that you just have to start writing from. It allows you to enter your own prompt if you prefer. I have saved this one for future warm-ups. :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.