Time for a Character Respawn

TheDitz

Since I left for vacation on August 4th my life has been put through the spin cycle and I’ve been out of whack. For various reasons I stopped lifting, my junk food intake has gone up, and my depression and anxiety seem to be back in a rough way. Tasks have been piling up and there were times I felt like I was drowning. I decided to embrace the darkness instead of pushing back.

Though the darkness of laziness, fear, and indecision can be warm and comforting in the short term, it was extremely damaging on my psyche. Over the last two weeks, I’ve decide to make a change and get my life back. I made a list the things keeping me from moving forward and started taking them on, one by one, slowly but surely. I know it’s going to take some time but I’m starting to remember who I am and who I want to become. I am a Skald, the Norse warrior poet, though I’m using the word poet here VERY loosely. I want to start lifting again and writing more. I want to work on consuming less and producing more.

The last two challenges I went overboard, giving myself more objectives than I could handle, and even adding some non-challenge related challenges. This time I will keep it simple.

1. Mobility work 3x per week. The goal here is to spend 10-15 minutes, 3x times a week to stretch and roll out my muscles. It’s something I hate doing but know it needs to get done.
  2. Write 5x per week. Though the goal is to write for at least 10 mins/200 words every day I don’t want to overload myself and the point of failure. Small wins lead to bigger wins. This can be a blog post, writing in my journal, or responding to someone on the form. It can be in a notebook, on the computer/phone, or on a scrap piece of paper I throw away. It doesn’t matter. As long as I write, it counts.

“But, Joe, I thought you wanted to start lifting again?” I do and I will but it will be outside the focus of this challenge. Since I’m going on vacation in a week I now I won’t do any working out, no matter how much I tell myself I will not. This way I can focus on other objectives and work on adding in the lifting next challenge. Right now I want to focus on what I know I can do anywhere: stretching and writing.

• Like 1