• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

deborahjade

DeborahJade respawns in 2018

Hi, I'm Deborah and I'm going to keep this simple (as perfectionism paralysis stops me from doing too much)! I'm also going to not put any pressure on myself to comment on other threads. Hopefully this is all coherent as I'm writing this on 4-5 hours sleep due to a fussy 1.5yo.

I figured it is time to stop thinking and just dive in. I have started challenges around 3 times but never managed to complete more than 2 weeks. However, the only way to strengthen my discipline muscles is to use them so here goes my latest attempt.

"Big Picture" goal
Defeat the Sugar Beast!! I use sugar as my crutch for everything. And I've come to realise that it has negative effects on my mood and how I feel physically. I've been disciplined in avoiding sugar as a crutch for the last 9 days and I want to keep that trend up. I have been telling myself that it is better to be the same weight I am and have great food habits, than to be thin and have awful habits of mindlessly eating whenever I see sugar or free food.

3 S.M.A.R.T. goals (to support this main quest)

1) Drink, drink, drink 2.0L+ water each day - as thirst is a big trigger for eating... all the water and tea and even add some fruit juice for flavour if it keeps me hydrated.

2) Walk outside (of the house and yard) at least 5 minutes each day - I feel better and eat better when I have been active. I participated in Steptember and was really active, but have dropped the habits. I want to rebuild them as permanent life habits.

3) Say no to the sugar beast at least 80% of the time.  I'll track how I am eating in the morning, afternoon and evening as the last two are my main trigger times. That way I can at least feel like I've achieved something when I look at the mornings!

I've lurked around NF articles, forums and the Academy for a long time and I want to actually put what I learn into practice.
Things I like: reading (especially fantasy and science fiction), cooking, eating, crafting, outdoors, gardening,  plus a million other things!

• Like 1

Welcome back! Nice looking and admirable goals, be careful using fruit juice though because it also contains sugar (sneaky stuff) :lol: The sugar beast is a tough one to beat, most times I think he's just playing dead :( 

On 10/23/2018 at 9:48 PM, RES said:

Welcome back! Nice looking and admirable goals, be careful using fruit juice though because it also contains sugar (sneaky stuff) :lol: The sugar beast is a tough one to beat, most times I think he's just playing dead :( 

Thanks RES. I have been thinking about that sneaky sugar in juice and maybe trying out some other water flavouring like tea infusions might work better. I'll just check anything I use to make sure there is no hidden sugar. The main goal is to cover up the taste of the water as sometimes I really can't stand it.

• Like 1

Things I've learned from Days 1-3

• I feel good. My mood is better when I don't overindulge in food or sugar. I must remind myself of this when I am faced with temptation.
  • I was quite pleased with my behaviour on Wed as I made rum-free rumballs for my team at work. I intended to have just one in the morning, but ended up having 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. So I didn't give myself points as as these are the small battles I want to fight as I know the rabbit hole they lead down.
  • I haven't been 100% strictly measuring my water (as that drives me nuts) but I know that I am having at least 2.0L on the days I mark it.. I can usually tell because I get quite thirsty when I drink less. I'll have to measure the drink bottle I use as I am guesstimating that it holds 600ml.
  • Sleep deprivation is not an excuse for saying Yes to Sugar. My brain says Sugar but is never the solution.

ch1_wk1_1.png

• Like 1

Things I've learned from Days 4-7

• I still feel good... even though I've been fighting a horrible cold for the last 5 days. I just imagine how much worse I would feel if I was using sugar to try and feel better. And I think I am on 16 days of minimal sugar!! W00T!
  • The longer I stick to my goals, the easier this is.
  • I am totally pumped that I mentally said no to seconds of caramel apple slice at Bible study morning tea this week. I had many many good justifications for eating it.. but I chose not to. Yes!!!
  • Epic water fail! Right now my lips are dry and I feel thirsty. Apparently I tend to drink less than 2.0L of water per day unless I deliberately try to drink more. So for week 2, I will fill up my bottle and then pour it into cups to drink (I prefer cups). That way I can see how much I've drunk. I'll fall back to my trusty routine of aiming for a bottle between 6-9am, 9-12noon, 12-3pm and 3-6pm. That will put me on 2.4L and every three hours will be a mental trigger to check my progress.

ch1_wk1_2.png

• Like 1

Welcome the rebellion!

As a former water hater (Just give me some flavor, please!) I think I found conversion when I stumbled upon sparkling water (particularly the coconut pineapple from ralphs/kroger). It gave me my water intake, but helped me from being bored to tears drinking it.