• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chrisharry

Need some advice regarding gym routine/ diet and gout

I am hoping someone can help me out here as I am really struggling. 

So background info... I am 32 and have been overweight forever! I started getting gout about 10 years ago usually once a year. About 2 1/2 years ago I started taking cherry capsules and cut meat back to 3/4 times a week and red meats maybe once a fortnight. 

At the start of this year I decided enough was enough and wanted to drop of the 17 stone I was at. I started eating healthier and less and started doing cardio. Managed to loose 2 stone by May and decided with my brothers encouragement it was time to hit the gym to push further and start weights to tone/ loose more weights.

So started hitting the gym following his plan he set me Day 1 Chest and Tris, Day 2 Back and Bis Day 3 Legs and abs day 4 shoulders and abs which I needed to fit in my week as well as some cardio. Gym wise things were going well. I could tell I was gaining muscle and my body weight was improving. As part of the routine I had to up my protein and reduce the impact carbs so I would be eating more meats chicken and veg, beef chilli with no rice etc and have a whey protein shake after the gym. After a few weeks I started getting gout pains in me toe which eventually led to a flare up in the top of my foot which put me out of action and in agony for 2 weeks.  I started back up again 2 weeks later reducing the meat a little and had another flare up within a week which had the same effect.

So I started really looking into what I could eat to get my protien and keep my gout levels down...

Meats - high/medium
Pulses - medium

Nuts - some are medium to high but I cant in them in large quantities anyway as its just unrealistic

Veg - Peas, spinach mushroom etc - all medium purines- basically any veg that has reasonable amount of protein in.

Quorn/ Tofu - Also a no go.

Seaitan - I have a wheat intolerance !

I also read online that whey protein can block up the kidneys and cause an increase in uric acid levels and they should also be avoided. Seriously... where can I get protein from??

It basically leaves low fat dairy and too much dairy is also bad for you! 

I have bought from vegan protien powder made with hemp, sunflower seed and peas to see if that helps but feel it will be blocking the kidneys the same.

Gout friendly diets are high carb and veg which isn't what I am looking for either.

So about 2 months ago I pulled something in my upper back pretty bad and have laid off the gym since. I managed to eat fairly healthy but to be honest not amazingly but still managed to drop another 1/2 a stone before putting a bit back on, on holiday.

So now I am 14st 4. I started back at the gym this week and my toes been sore on and off all week... Mainly on.
I am feeling completely demoralized right now on how to make this work when I am really trying to make positive changes to my life.. 

Any advice or anyone who can relate will be appreciated! 

22 hours ago, chrisharry said:

I am feeling completely demoralized right now on how to make this work when I am really trying to make positive changes to my life.. 

Any advice or anyone who can relate will be appreciated! 

My advice? Focus on getting as much protein as you can while not inflaming the gout, but not on any specific macro goal. Chances are, regardless of what you do, you will be lower than a lot of people will recommend, and that is okay. 

Here's the deal. It's not like you have to stop lifting just because you can't get the recommended amount of protein, you might just need to change your goals around. With a lowered protein intake, you might have trouble recovering, you might not see as large improvements in your lifts as someone who eats more protein, and you may lose more muscle mass with weight loss. But it's not like you CAN'T lift weights if you don't hit a magical protein goal. 

Instead of focusing on protein, focus on what you can do. According to the internet, weight loss may help control gout. Eating healthier and less is still a positive strategy. Also (and just mentioning because it's not in your outline above) if you drink alcohol or fructose sweetened beverages, these can increase flare ups - do you monitor these? 

22 hours ago, chrisharry said:

It basically leaves low fat dairy and too much dairy is also bad for you! 

There are some studies that show low-fat dairy might help prevent flare ups, so don't discount this as a source. Also, studies show that certain medium purine veggies might not increase gout risk, which might help with some extra protein.

• Like 1

It's not just purines that can trigger gout; sugar, crash dieting and/or yo-yo dieting, alcohol, eating too large meals, dehydration, etc. can all also cause acute gout. Other risk factors include a higher BMI and hypertension (high blood pressure).

There are a few studies (small & mostly reported data rather than lab-controlled factors, I'd love to see more rigorous testing) suggesting that a high protein diet doesn't necessarily aggravate gout, so long as purine levels are kept reasonable and other triggering foods (eg. sugar & alcohol) are avoided.

Vegetable purines are kind of a grey area - they should technically be a problem, but in reality the data doesn't really show that to be the case. Spinach & mushrooms, tofu, nuts, etc. should all be fine so long as you're not slamming back multiple servings of each every day; and check out broccoli - low purines, high protein for a vegetable. 

Caffeine can be an issue since it's a diuretic, but a daily cup of coffee can help reduce the risk of a flare-up. Supplementing Vit C can help. Complex carbohydrates are a better choice than refined carbs. In general, some of the more recent info out there suggests that favouring low GI foods would be a big help - essentially, eating similar to diabetics in some ways.

Speculation on uric levels rising due to whey consumption is just that - speculation. Dairy foods like cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. are all good protein sources, as are eggs and whole grains. And low-fat dairy specifically has shown some promise in helping to treat gout as well, they can reduce uric acid levels. Protein supplements haven't been shown to increase gout risk, nor have high protein diets been shown to offer any risk factors for kidney damage.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, chrisharry said:

Gout friendly diets are high carb and veg which isn't what I am looking for either.

You can aim for a balanced carb/fat macro ratio, just don't get your carbs from refined foods. There's nothing wrong with carbs, honestly, even when you're trying to lose fat - you just need to watch your total caloric intake.

If it were me, I'd stick with whey supplements, low fat dairy, eggs, the occasional piece of fish (not seafood), whole grains and legumes to hit protein goals - no meat, no alcohol, no refined sugar; hard stop. I'd also explore whole-body workouts rather than a body-part split (but that's a different convo for a different thread).

And unless in your personal experience you find that a higher protein intake is causing worse gout episodes, I'd also probably still aim for ~1.6g of protein per kg of bodyweight a day. At your current weight, if it were me, I'd set my macros as 130-160g protein,  60-80g fat, and 160-200g of carbs; nice and balanced - plus at least 2L of water a day. But bear in mind, I'm not a doctor or dietician - and if you're medicating for your gout, you'll want to chat with your doctor about how dietary changes could affect that medication.

At the end of the day, you just need to experiment to figure out what works - and doesn't work - for you. The studies are useful guides, but you need to become an expert on YOUR body to decide how to sort out protein, veg, dairy, etc. Have fun!

This may help. Arthritis and gout are related, & I came across a book 'How to Eat away Arthritis'.  It is supposed to work for Gout too and it cleared up my RA just about overnight.

I read lots of articles about this issue and start to try different methods. For me, one of them worked. I completely changed my diet and routine. Also, I start watching videos on youtube and see there that people drink shakes during workouts. I start to drink protein shakes too and sometimes use proteolytic enzymes. So, the result is - 5kg and a healthy body.