jstanlick explores new health horizons

jstanlick

I wasn't going to do a challenge. It seemed like my path is fairly set. I mean, unless I decide to go the whole Keto route, my food is fairly set at this point. And I'm not taking on Keto right before Thanksgiving and Christmas. Talk about setting myself up for failure. My exercise is what it is. I lift some, I run some, repeat. Depending on what my body says (and the thermometer) I pick one and go with it. I'm not too worried about falling out of habit at the moment as I go through something akin to withdrawal if I miss more than 2 days in a row of training. So, doing the battle log was where I was going to go and just record where stuff was at. Then it occurred to me that there are a great many other variables that have an effect on blood sugar and can lead to an overall better state of health. So, I'm going to put those in a challenge. I'll still report in on nutrition and exercise, but they won't have actual goals. Those are here:

1. MOAR Sleep - My sleep average is poor. I currently have dipped back down to about a 7 hour average. And that is including the weekends when I sleep in to make up for missed sleep. So, for this challenge, my goal is going to be to be in bed by 10:30 PM. I may not be asleep, but I gotta stop getting into the bed after 11 and waking up before 6.
  2. Less Screen time - Wow, that goal looks so easy. 3 words. How hard can it be? :D It's not like I sit in front of screens for a living or have to be on call every hour of the day periodically...oh, right. Since the evil geniuses at Apple have updated my phone to keep track of how much time I spend on it, we're going to try to make that average go down. Last week I average 2 hours and 45 minutes a day on my phone. I'm going to be shooting for dropping that average 10 minutes each week. Should put me close to 2 hours by the end of the challenge. That on call week the last week of the challenge should be fun.
  3. MOAR hydration - Alright, so despite having my macros dialed in fairly well, I suck at drinking enough water. Coffee doesn't count does it? No? Didn't think so. But, the more fluids I'm drinking the better my blood sugar should be. So, shooting for more hydration. I'd love to say, hey I'm going to drink 128 ounces of water every day. But, considering I might get to 32...on a good day...we'll shoot for that old common wisdom target of 64. I'm only counting water mind you. Not coffee or tea or diet soda or...just water.

We'll start with that. I'll try to bring in some more for future challenges, but for now this is enough.

• Like 5

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Just now, Salinger said:

Good luck!!! Here to follow and support you x

Thanks Sal! Hopefully, I have the time to be around the forums this challenge more than the last.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

19 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Less Screen time - Wow, that goal looks so easy. 3 words. How hard can it be? :D It's not like I sit in front of screens for a living or have to be on call every hour of the day periodically...oh, right. Since the evil geniuses at Apple have updated my phone to keep track of how much time I spend on it, we're going to try to make that average go down. Last week I average 2 hours and 45 minutes a day on my phone. I'm going to be shooting for dropping that average 10 minutes each week. Should put me close to 2 hours by the end of the challenge. That on call week the last week of the challenge should be fun.

I'd hate to know exactly how much time I actually spent in front of a screen in the average week. It cannot be a pretty number. 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

3 hours ago, AgentsSka said:

MOAR & less & MOAR!

FTFY

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

I'd hate to know exactly how much time I actually spent in front of a screen in the average week. It cannot be a pretty number. 

Yeah, I'm not even going to try calculating work related screen time. It is what it is. Trying to reduce it implies I'm not doing work and sitting in meetings all the time. Not gonna happen.

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Same :o x

Kind of a danger of anyone using a website called "Nerd Fitness" I'd imagine.

• Like 2

Let's see how we're doing:

1. Sleep - I made it to bed at 10:45. Well, it was before 11 at least. But, then I slept for crap thanks to the dog laying on top of my legs. Man she generates a lot of heat. Then she moved and laid down on my wife's legs. Which woke her up and she couldn't go back to sleep which kept me awake. She must've gotten cold last night because she usually stays on the floor.
  2. Screen time - Hit my average on the noise when I checked it before going to bed: 2 hours 45 minutes. Hmm, at least it didn't get worse.
  3. Water - 32 ounces.

Wow. That's not a lot of progress out of the chute. Although, I'm already at 32 ounces of water today and...iPhone says I'm currently 11 minutes below my average for this time of day. So...yay?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jstanlick said:
  1. Screen time - Hit my average on the noise when I checked it before going to bed: 2 hours 45 minutes. Hmm, at least it didn't get worse.

Well, if you are checking it all the time... ;)

It feels kind of like a scale to me.  Checking every day can be harrowing.  Checking multiple times per day creates more data points... but are they useful data points?

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

25 minutes ago, AgentsSka said:

but are they useful data points

The exact data point? No. Really I'm looking for a trend. If it's less than the day before. then it was a good day. I do get a notification once a week that tells me what I averaged on the week. I wish I got one of those per day. Once a week almost feels like that's too long of a gap before checking progress.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope you are having a great day ! xx

Thursday = Meeting day. Great is not how I would describe it. But, it is what it is. Every Thursday is this way so I try to plan for it.

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good challenge. Interesting that your iPhone keeps track of your screen time.

Interesting or ironic? Since ya know, I have to look at the phone's screen to see how much screen time I've had. But, that only takes a few seconds. Plus, it tracks which apps are used the most. So, far my top 3 apps are GMail, Outlook Mail and the calendar. So, I guess I'm using it primarily for productivity purposes. Either that, or I'm checking it too much to see if anyone wants to talk to me :D 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

Thursday = Meeting day. Great is not how I would describe it. But, it is what it is. Every Thursday is this way so I try to plan for it.

Interesting or ironic? Since ya know, I have to look at the phone's screen to see how much screen time I've had. But, that only takes a few seconds. Plus, it tracks which apps are used the most. So, far my top 3 apps are GMail, Outlook Mail and the calendar. So, I guess I'm using it primarily for productivity purposes. Either that, or I'm checking it too much to see if anyone wants to talk to me :D 

I'd say ironic is the perfect word for it.:smile-new:

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Meeting day is in the rear view. I managed to get my flu shot yesterday, attend my kids' open house at school, help them with their homework and get them to bed on time. All of that did lead to less screen time. WOO!! It also lead to less sleep and less hydration. BOO!!

I can't blame all of the sleep on that though. My brother and my dog has a hand in it too. While I didn't get to bed until 11 since I was doing stuff I didn't do earlier in the day, I got a text from my brother at 2:46 AM. The dog, having heard the phone make noise, seeing me grab the phone to figure out what the hell was going on, thought it was my morning alarm and promptly pounced on my head. After realizing her mistake, she promptly laid down and stuffed her paws into my back. It's not entirely her fault as our busy schedule the last week or so has meant that she hasn't gotten enough exercise and now we're starting to pay the price. The dog is lucky she's very cute and more importantly that my wife was still asleep and I didn't want to wake her. So, I was off to the family room since I was now wide awake. My brother is lucky he lives states away. Especially since it was simply are reply to a text I sent him 7 hours earlier. Maybe the delivery of it was hung up for some reason. But, it definitely affected my sleep.

Hydration was not where I want it to be but it wasn't terrible (based on history). I hit 56 ounces, which is close to my current daily goal of 64. One of these days I'll hit my goal.

On other notes, it looks like the rain might hold off long enough for me to get a run in after work and before my son's volleyball game. So, we'll see what happens there. I have now had requests from both of my sons to work out with me this winter. But, they don't want to run in the cold. We'll see if this lasts more than a week or so before they quit on me. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 4:07 PM, jstanlick said:

Less Screen time - Wow, that goal looks so easy. 3 words. How hard can it be? :D It's not like I sit in front of screens for a living or have to be on call every hour of the day periodically...oh, right. Since the evil geniuses at Apple have updated my phone to keep track of how much time I spend on it, we're going to try to make that average go down. Last week I average 2 hours and 45 minutes a day on my phone. I'm going to be shooting for dropping that average 10 minutes each week. Should put me close to 2 hours by the end of the challenge. That on call week the last week of the challenge should be fun.

I feel you, my man. I need to do the same thing, especially in the evenings.

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

On 10/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, DJtrippyT said:

I feel you, my man. I need to do the same thing, especially in the evenings.

Evenings is hard as is mornings. I hate walking into work not knowing what happened the night before. So, I check all my work apps and logs and make sure there's not something that's going to hit me in the face. But, that only takes a few minutes usually. The problem with my lizard brain is that as long as I've got that done, let's go check last night's basketball/baseball/football news...I suppose I should check the world news, oh, what's this click bait over here...and so on and so forth. Easily 30 minute time suck.

That said, my screen time report this morning says I'm down 8% last week over the previous week. But, I challenge Apple's math. The previous week it said I averaged 2 hours 45 minutes. This week is says I averaged 2 hours 15 minutes per day. My math says that's 18.2% less. (165 minutes - 135 minutes)/165 minutes * 100. Unless their percentage is an average of the percent change each day compared to the day a week prior (which feels closer to but not actually standard deviation). But, I'm not going through day by day to figure that out. Maybe there's a math nerd listening that can help me out with how Apple calculated their numbers.

• Like 1

Week 1 update.

1. MOAR Sleep - 6:52, 7:07, 7:15, 7:30, 5:51, 7:14, 8:14. Thursday night pretty much sucked as I said before. The weekend has been good. A couple of the days during the week were not bad. The average of 6:52 is not bad I suppose with that night of less than 6 hours in there. But, again, the weekend numbers help prop that up and the goal is to get more sleep during the week. Still, turned out better than I thought while the week was going on. Whatever I did on Wednesday night, I need to replicate.
  2. Less Screen time - Whether its 8% less or 18% less, I managed less. That was the goal and I'm taking the win for the week. The weekly goal was 2 hours and 35 minutes or ten minutes less than when  I started the challenge. It was 30 minutes less on average. So, I've jumped ahead on the goals to where I wanted to be at the end of Week 3. Now can I maintain? We'll see this week.
  3. More hydration - Goal was 64 ounces per day of water. Not counting tea, coffee, etc. I hit that goal yesterday. I came close on Friday. But, yeah, 1 day out of 7. I need to work on that one more obviously.

• Like 1

Sigh, Halloween. I used to like this holiday. Ya know, before the diabetes. Now, everywhere I go there is some kind of foodstuffs trying to kill me. Halloween party at work. Kids have Halloween parties at school. I get to take the kids Trick or Treating and then the house will be filled with candy. Plus, everyone at work will bring candy in tomorrow that they didn't hand out, hoping their co-workers will eat it so they don't have to. The one saving grace, the bowl a member of my team has already put out has no Peanut M&M's or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Temptation avoided for the moment.

In the meantime, a co-worker has picked up a second job working at the new Shred 415 down the road and asked me if I want to come to a free workout session tomorrow and Friday during lunch. Looks kinda similar to some workouts I've already been doing, so sure. Why not? Gets me away from Halloween treats for an hour and did I mention it's free? Cuz, Lord knows I'm too much of a cheapskate to pony up the $120/month for a membership. Otherwise, I'd already belong to a CrossFit box somewhere.

Let's see a goals check-in. Sleep has been...meh. I am doing better than last week thus far. My average is 7:08 hours and last night I made it to bed at 10:47 PM. Still not 10:30. The previous nights were 10:54 and 10:53. Well, at least its before 11:00. So, we're improving. Not that quickly though.

Less screen time is still getting better, YAY! Well, yesterday was not a great day. Spent a lot of time reading news articles on the upcoming election and news articles about other news agencies and how they're all liars pushing their own corporate agendas. Ya know, the usual: Trump is doing dumb arrogant things, CNN is lying to you to push their progressive agenda, FOX News is lying to you to push their conservative agenda, and more of Trump doing dumb Trump things and what the pollsters think it will do to the election IF people actually show up to vote in a mid-term election. So, a time suck of reading things I already knew and further shaking my faith in humanity. But, yesterday aside, I've been doing a damn good job of leaving that thing alone.

Project hydration has been failing to get off the ground. Although I exceeded my targets yesterday. That has more with having to replenish after a 5 mile run than anything else I think. I was trying to extend my lead on the previously mentioned course record before my boss starts doing some serious running for another marathon he signed up for. I really thought I was going faster than the last one. But, at the end of it all, I was 3 seconds slower running time and 15 seconds slower overall (stupid traffic signals slowing me down). Still faster than his best, but I didn't extend the lead as I was hoping to. Body was very sore and overheated yesterday which lead to lots more drinking (of water). I think I need some new shoes. Right knee and left Achilles were both mad at me for the rest of the day. Last time that started happening on a regular basis, I got some new shoes and the pain went away. Strava says I've got over 300 miles on these shoes, so yeah, probably time for a new pair.

• Like 3

Halloween can be hard as far as sugar, plus the fact that it is just the opening season of all the sugar it seems. I sent hubby to the store to buy candy and told him not to buy chocolate candy. If we have extra  I will just throw it away. We did some dark chocolate peanut butter cups for us. They come in a small package, and have less sugar. Then I ca have a treat to enjoy, but not eat candy all week

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Halloween can be hard as far as sugar, plus the fact that it is just the opening season of all the sugar it seems. I sent hubby to the store to buy candy and told him not to buy chocolate candy. If we have extra  I will just throw it away. We did some dark chocolate peanut butter cups for us. They come in a small package, and have less sugar. Then I ca have a treat to enjoy, but not eat candy all week

I try to stick to dark chocolate — usually 85% cocoa or so — for the ol’ sweet tooth. Although, while picking up stuff to hand out for Halloween I did stumble on some sugar free chocolates by Russell Stover. The used sugar alcohols instead of sugar to sweeten them. So, their glycemic load is about half that of regular carbs ( cuz the one they used is one of the cheaper sugar alcohols ). So, I grabbed a bag of those to try them out. I’ll let you know how that goes. 

6 hours ago, AgentsSka said:

Stay strong, my friend.  Stay strong.

One of the women on my team literally brought in a bushel basket full of Butterfingers, Starbursts, Kit Kats and Twix. She wouldn’t help anyone with a question unless they took some. Except for me. She said I didn’t have to. I don’t know if that’s because she knows I’m diabetic or if it’s because I’m her boss. But, one weird thing about cutting sugar and carbs way back, you can smell it. She sits 3 cubes away and I could smell it sitting there.

Now I sit in my house after the boys went trick or treating, smelling all of the stuff they brought home. Might have to go find those sugar free ones I bought...

• Like 1