• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hei der, friends! As you might be able to tell, I am trying to learn Norsk (Norwegian)!

I signed up for this 4-week course: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/norwegian

It's free, but I only have 6 weeks to complete it before I lose access to it. So, I need to be diligent about doing 2 lessons per week until I finish.

In addition to this goal, I want to do my usual "Outdoor Adventure" goal. That is going to an outdoors setting and doing something I normally don't. Past adventures have been exploring a nearby park and going to the beach. This time, I'd like to try a very short/gentle hike in the nearby hills.

For the daily stuff, I have variations on my usual day-to-day goals. These are:

Improve Sleep: Steady bed time (11pm)

I noticed in the last challenge that getting up at a certain time isn't necessarily a problem for me, as long as I have a reason to get up at that time. But getting to bed at a reasonable hour... that's where I struggle the most. My work situation is a little uncertain right now, which means my getting up time might fluctuate. But if I can get myself into bed and trying to sleep by 11pm every night, maybe the wake-up time won't matter too much. Mostly, I need to retrain myself to think of "11pm" as "late at night"!

Do a 'warm up' routine 3 times per week (Steve's or Stacie's)
Inspired by Tobbe, I'm going to make a goal to learn it by heart. I haven't decided which routine to do (may end up combining them into my own). This goal is a prerequisite to doing actual work outs. I think one of the problems I'm having with starting a work out habit is that I'm intimidated by the concept of a work out. So this is not a work out! It's a warm up! So therefore it's trivial to do it thrice a week... ;) The goal is to trick myself into building a habit of moving at a specific time three times per week, and then eventually building that into a full work out habit. But remember! This isn't a work out!!

Walk every day

No length or distance requirement, but it should be more than just walking from my car to the office. Could just be a slight detour on that walk, though. I just need intention that I am 'going for a walk'. This is a continuation of the walking goal I've had for a while. Previously, the "trigger" for this was to walk after lunch. That will still be the case most of the time, but not necessarily all of the time. Especially because, this time around, "every day" means weekends, too!

Count my calories

This time, I will be using the LoseIt app. No specific requirements on how much to eat, just track it all. I'm sure I'll be playing with the amount that I eat and when I eat it during the challenge... but I'm not setting any specific goals about that. My plan for when I don't feel like tracking (such as on weekends) is to take a picture and estimate later. This time, the tracking includes weekends!

Drink a lot of water (start at 1 liter per day)

I have a big water 0.5 liter bottle, and I want to try to finish it twice over each day. I learned in the last challenge that I don't actually like diet soda that much. It makes me feel kinda crappy, to be honest! (After cutting it out for almost a month, I can definitely notice the effects now.) I still drink it sometimes, but if I have my own water to drink instead, hopefully I won't rely on it as much. Anyway, I'm tired of being dehydrated! Since this is a new goal, I'm not counting on weekends for this one. But, I will count other water (including LaCroix).

Make (at least) 1 meal per week

This is a new goal! I've been eating out way too much lately. Sometimes making good decisions on what to eat, sometimes not... but either way, it's hard on my wallet! Usually, we eat out when my wife doesn't feel like cooking. She also doesn't really like making many of the more healthy recipes that I suggest. So, I want to take over making dinner for one of the days of the week. Most likely it will be a weekend day.

---

Did you notice that three of the goals above are gold? Golden Goals are slightly prioritized for this challenge. All the goals are important to me, but I have a lot of goals right now... some would say an overwhelming amount... this is a way of organizing them! Golden Goals are worth a bit more in my reward scheme. I haven't figured out exactly how I want to reward myself yet, but that will come soon. ;)

I thought about making "walk every day" a Golden Goal, because it's so close to becoming a true habit, and I don't want to slack on it now! But for the moment, I'm slipping more on calorie tracking than on walking, so we'll see how things go.

• Like 3

Grading: 1 point per daily item, three per weekly item, and ten per challenge item. Golden Goals are worth double!

Daily:

Be in bed by 11pm

Take a walk

Drink 1 liter of water

Count calories

Weekly:

Warm Up x3

Norsk Lesson x2

Make meal x1

1 per Challenge:

Outdoor Adventure

Finish Norsk Course

Non-graded goal: I would like to try to lose 3 lbs during this challenge. Goal weight: 235 lbs. Good sleep, good hydration, reasonable eating and increased activity... hopefully these will combine to naturally reduce my waistline a little. ;)

• Like 1

"Jeg pleier å gå å jobbe."

I've been working on my Norsk course. My wife is trying to take it, as well, but she struggles more with languages than I do. I'm proud of the above sentence because it's the first one I've strung together under my own volition (in response to the prompt "what do you usually do on Mondays?") and I made a guess about some of the grammar and vocabulary that turned out to be correct. :D

So far, I find Norwegian to be a reasonable and relatively simple language to learn. Not too much in the way of strange exceptions to the rules (*cough English cough*), no unexpected pronunciations (*cough French cough*). It's close enough to English that it's easy to learn words that are similar. (But I'll have to look out for false friends: "snakker" isn't eating, it's talking!)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jett said:

Do a 'warm up' routine 3 times per week (Steve's or Stacie's)
Inspired by Tobbe, I'm going to make a goal to learn it by heart. I haven't decided which routine to do (may end up combining them into my own). This goal is a prerequisite to doing actual work outs. I think one of the problems I'm having with starting a work out habit is that I'm intimidated by the concept of a work out. So this is not a work out! It's a warm up! So therefore it's trivial to do it thrice a week... ;) The goal is to trick myself into building a habit of moving at a specific time three times per week, and then eventually building that into a full work out habit. But remember! This isn't a work out!!

I'd go for the cool down. It's more involved, and much more difficult to learn. But it's very rewarding, and good for you to be more flexible :) And, in all honesty, the warm up is pretty tough for a warm up.

11 hours ago, Jett said:

"Jeg pleier å gå å jobbe."

Sweden "Jag brukar gå och jobba" in Swedish. 

I love that you're learning Norwegian. It's so similar to Swedish! :D We'll be able to talk to each other!

"snakker" -> Sweden "snackar"

I actually tried to learn a little Swedish (on Duolingo) about a year ago. So a lot of things sound very familiar! I'm doing the Norwegian Duolingo in addition to the course, and I think the two complement each other very well. So far, it feels like Norwegian is mostly just Swedish with a different accent and everything is spelled a little differently. :P Seems like the nordmenn prefer more "K"s for some reason.

"Kj" also throws me off EVERY single time I approach a Scandinavian language, because I always forget that it sounds like the Enlgish "sh". So I'm sitting there going "kie-opp? Kah-jop?" and then I listened to an example video, and it made sense: "kjøpe" sounds like "shop". It's literally the same word as in English, just spelled totally differently. D'oh!

I'm feeling much better than before (when I was depressed at the beginning of the week). I've been making time for walks in the sunshine, and I think the mental exercise of learning a new language is also helping. :) Plus, learning Norwegian is part of my contingency plan in case things go very, very bad here in America. If I can speak Norwegian, I can probably get into a Norwegian university and hide out in Scandinavia for a while. There's a minimum language requirement (I don't think it applies for exchange students, though, but I'm not sure - it does apply for non-exchange students for sure) and a minimum income requirement. So making a savings and learning Norsk feels like two steps I can take right now towards keeping myself safe against the oncoming terror. Even if I never have to enact that plan, it certainly won't hurt!

10/24:

Be in bed by 11pm: I wasn't last night. The main impact I'm still feeling from the depression is a tendency to just kind of space out and not want to go to sleep.

Take a walk: Yes.

Drink 1 liter of water: 48/34 oz consumed. It may turn out that 1 liter is too low a goal!

Count calories: Yes.

Week 1:

Warm Up x3

Norsk Lesson x2 - Lesson one more or less completed. The lessons are kind of long; I may need to split them and do them over 4 days per week.

Make meal x1 - Did this today!

+9 points

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jett said:

Seems like the nordmenn prefer more "K"s for some reason.

True. Both Norwegian and Danish uses "kk", while in Swedish we spell it "ck". Takk vs Sweden Tack for example (which is "thanks")

3 hours ago, Jett said:

Even if I never have to enact that plan, it certainly won't hurt!

Learning a new language is never a bad idea! Great brain exercise if nothing else!

3 hours ago, Jett said:

Make meal x1 - Did this today!

What did you cook? Plate

Sometimes the simplest things are the best! :) If not the best-tasting, it could be the best thing to do with what you have at that moment. The best choice of preparing your own meal, or go to the closest fast food joint. Or the best thing to do to take your mind off of something else.

Just stumbled upon this in a blog post I read. Immediately thought of you :wub:

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

The past two weeks have been really challenging with the news, and I know a lot of my clients are struggling with triggered memories. Consider this your reminder to take care of yourself. And if you need it, there’s no shame in calling the National Sexual Assault Hotline (1-800-656-4673).

IMG_4686.jpg

- https://www.rachaelhartleynutrition.com/blog/five-thoughts-4

• Like 1

Tack, Tobbe. :)

I am feeling pretty much back to normal. I still need to watch myself about getting to sleep on time and not becoming too sleep deprived, but I am no longer suffering from depression directly. It is still stressful to think about my government trying to remove protections, but now I have ideas about what to do if things get bad, so I don't feel so hopeless.

10/25:

Be in bed by 11pm: No.

Take a walk: Yes.

Drink 1 liter of water: 40/34 oz

+4 points

10/26:

Take a walk: No

Drink 1 liter of water: 34/34 oz

+3 points

Week 1:

Warm Up x3 - No....

Norsk Lesson x2 - 1.5/2 lessons complete. (will gain additional points when lesson 2 is done)

Make meal x1 - (done)

Challenge Total: 16 points

I realized that my water bottle is 1 liter, not 1/2 a liter! So I'm going to update my goal to reflect a 2 liter water goal, not 1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jett said:

Tack, Tobbe. :)

Any time! :)

2 hours ago, Jett said:

now I have ideas about what to do if things get bad, so I don't feel so hopeless.

Having a plan for the worst is always a good idea! :) 

Ugh, I guess I spoke too soon about being back to normal. I'm still much better than the first few days that I was depressed, but it's not totally gone, either. Motivation to do much of anything is low, and willpower to resist the unhealthy food we have left over from a party is also low.

Here's my scoring for the last two days...

10/27:

Drink 2 liters of water: ? (didn't track)

Count calories: No.

10/28:

Drink 2 liters of water: ? (didn't track)

Count calories: No.

Week 1:

Warm Up x3 - No....

Norskkurs x2 - 2/2 lessons complete.

Make meal x1 - (done)

+3 poeng

Challenge total: 19 poeng

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jett said:

Norskkurs x2 - 2/2 lessons complete.

Grattis! Bra jobbat Thumbs Up

2 hours ago, Jett said:

+3 poeng

Challenge total: 19 poeng

Nice touch on the "poeng" (or Sweden poäng) :D 

Takk! I'm glad you noticed! :D

My plan is to slowly translate more and more of my posts into norsk as I learn the language.

As my wife and I are learning more about the Scandinavian countries, we are finding that we have the desire to come live there, at least temporarily, even if we don't "have" to do it to get away from poor conditions here. The country that most interests me right now is actually Sweden! I was extremely impressed by the impression I got of a very organized and compassionate country while I was looking at government and university websites this past week. Swedes seem to care a lot about each other and the environment, and you guys seem to use technology to improve your lives and the world. Is that a fair assessment?

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 10:25 AM, Jett said:

Swedes seem to care a lot about each other and the environment, and you guys seem to use technology to improve your lives and the world. Is that a fair assessment?

To some extent, but it's not utopia, we still pollute and produce trash like everyone else, and use useless tech that does nothing good for the world. Better than most countries perhaps, but it's not all rainbows and unicorns.

Having said that, the Scandinavian countries + Finland are pretty good to live in, no doubt about that. :) And at least in Sweden (and almost certainly in the other countries too) there are many degree programs that are 100% in English that you could look into.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

To some extent, but it's not utopia, we still pollute and produce trash like everyone else, and use useless tech that does nothing good for the world. Better than most countries perhaps, but it's not all rainbows and unicorns.

Having said that, the Scandinavian countries + Finland are pretty good to live in, no doubt about that. :) And at least in Sweden (and almost certainly in the other countries too) there are many degree programs that are 100% in English that you could look into.

Oh, I'm sure it isn't a utopia. Nowhere is. But I hadn't really realized how much the culture and government of the United States had degraded until I started looking into what it might be like to live in a Scandinavian country. It was like looking at a picture of a fresh mountainside while breathing smoggy air (somewhat literally; I do live in LA after all :P). Sweden, Norway, and Denmark all have pretty good LGBT protections. Finland, as far as I can tell, is okay for LGB people, but not so great for Trans people yet.

I have looked at various programs to see what the options are. Sweden and Denmark have a lot of English-language undergrad programs. Norway only has Master's programs.

• Like 2

10/30:

Drink 2 liters of water: Yes

+3 poeng

10/31:

Take a walk: Yes

Drink 2 liters of water: Yes

Count calories: Yes.

+4 poeng

Week 2:

Warm Up x3 - Not yet :|

Norskkurs x2 - 0/2

Make meal x1 - Not yet.

Challenge total: 26 poeng

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jett said:

Oh, I'm sure it isn't a utopia. Nowhere is. But I hadn't really realized how much the culture and government of the United States had degraded until I started looking into what it might be like to live in a Scandinavian country. It was like looking at a picture of a fresh mountainside while breathing smoggy air (somewhat literally; I do live in LA after all :P). Sweden, Norway, and Denmark all have pretty good LGBT protections. Finland, as far as I can tell, is okay for LGB people, but not so great for Trans people yet.

I have looked at various programs to see what the options are. Sweden and Denmark have a lot of English-language undergrad programs. Norway only has Master's programs.

Ok good, from your description it all just sounded a little too good to be true. :lol: Reminds me of a conversation I had recently about a friend from Iran that used to spend her time watching YT videos of nature with forests and clean air. For her it would take hours to get out of the city and now when she's living in Finland she finds it incredible that she has all that on her doorstep. :) I think LA is an awesome city but man it's crazy dysfunctional and I would hate to actually live there.

I think the LGBT stuff sounds about right, but I don't know enough. If you ever have questions I can ask a friend who's lived in both Sweden and Finland, she's not trans but she's interested in these things.

I have half of a bachelor's degree in Computer Science with a focus on web development (which is the kind of work I do professionally). I would like to finish that. I have no idea if anything would transfer to a Swedish school, or if I'd have to start from the first year. But, I've found a couple of programs at Swedish universities that I am very interested in. Depending on the timeline, I might finish my bachelor's in the States and try for a Master's in Sweden (or Norway) instead, but still probably with a focus on web technologies.

I've also thought about just trying to apply for jobs with Swedish companies to see if I can skip all the rest and just continue my career in Sweden. But, I don't know if my incomplete degree would hinder me in finding work? (Maybe @Tobbe can answer that?) Going to university in Sweden also seems like a good way to build networking and industry contacts within the country, so I'm inclined to do that, any way. But is it unusual for older adults to come back to university in Sweden? I'm 28, and will probably be at least 30 before we move. Would that be seen as extremely weird? I know that here in America, some universities are almost exclusively filled with students fresh out of high school, but others encourage older adults to enroll, and classes are more mixed in student ages.

• Like 1

A few larger and more bureaucratic companies might want you to have a degree, or rather HR might filter you out by default, but most in the business don't care as long as you can show you have experience and can do the work. Most companies also don't care if you don't speak the language, unless you have to deal directly with customers or if it's a government related business.

For an undergrad degree you'll probably find yourself with mostly kids out of high school simply because that's what most people do, but I don't think they'll find it weird. If anything I'd say you might find it more weird. ;) For master's programs I think it's a lot more mixed though and the younger people that are there will inevitably be more serious about their education in general. But I'm just making educated guesses as I never went to uni in Sweden. For networking purposes and also for getting more interesting work to do I'd say that pursuing a master's degree would be a better option, but obviously that depends if you can be bothered to finish your undergrad now or if you'd rather just work or you'd rather move. You could also do a part time masters and work at the same time. I don't think any of the options are bad, though if you had to start an undergrad from scratch that would suck! As an aside, for computer science Chalmers is the place to go.

12 hours ago, Jett said:

Sweden, Norway, and Denmark all have pretty good LGBT protections. Finland, as far as I can tell, is okay for LGB people, but not so great for Trans people yet.

I'd be a little careful/mindful of Denmark. The are the most right-wing country out of the ones you have listed. And I know they don't take too kindly to immigrants. At least not from eastern countries. Not sure about Americans. And not really sure about their view on LGBT people. Don't get me wrong. I've lived in Denmark for several years and generally love the country. I'd just take an extra good look at those questions if I were you before potentially moving there.

Also don't forget about Iceland :)  Lovely (but expensive!) country!

7 hours ago, Jett said:

I have no idea if anything would transfer to a Swedish school, or if I'd have to start from the first year.

I'm not sure either, but I wouldn't count on too much transferring I'm afraid :( I've heard of MDs moving here having to work as taxi drivers because their education didn't mean anything here. But sure, doctors is another thing than computer stuff... Easy enough to just send an email to any school you're interested in and just ask! :)  

7 hours ago, Jett said:

But, I don't know if my incomplete degree would hinder me in finding work?

If you can show that you have relevant industry experience I think that'd be enough to get you to an interview. And then, depending on who's hiring you might just have to speak well for yourself, or they might ask you to complete some kind of test. Either right there and then, or at home at your own pace. 

7 hours ago, Jett said:

But is it unusual for older adults to come back to university in Sweden?

Most students will come straight from high school/college. But there will also be older students, but not very many. When I went to university there were maybe five students out of 100 that were older than 25, with the oldest being 50+