• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Jett said:

 

A big part of it is that in baking, I mix together some stuff, then put it in the oven and come back later to a finished product. The meals I've been making have required a lot of "babysitting" a pan of something that needs frequent stirring, or dealing with a lot of different bits that are supposed to fit together, time-wise. There's also a lot of chopping veggies. I don't like chopping veggies. :I So boring...

 

Cooking is meticulous and boring. Baking is more creative and once I get the "creative" part out of the way, I just have to remember to take the result out of the oven and let it cool.

 

 

Hmm, because I didn't know soy yogurt was a thing! I'll have to see if I can find it at my usual grocery store (I don't remember seeing it, but I haven't really looked), and if not, I guess I'll have to make a special trip and find it somewhere else.

 

I love to put stuf fin the oven for dinner, I am very lazy sometimes :D

There are a lot of recipes like casseroles or even pancakes that you can do in the oven without all the babysitting. If you don't like chopping veggies there are prechopped fresh ones or you buy them frozen.

 

We have a lot of alternatives for dairy here. E.g. soy yoghurt, oat yoghurt etc. And even lactose free stuff, if that is the problem. Most of the companys write vegan in bold letters on it (because it's in ;) ) so you won't miss it :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arkania said:

I love to put stuf fin the oven for dinner, I am very lazy sometimes :D

Me too!

 

I quite enjoy chopping vegetables, I find it relaxing, almost meditative. :) But yeah, there are options. Or get wicked knife skills so it's quick at least! It's funny that you find baking more creative, I find it the opposite. It requires more precision and paying attention to recipes, with cooking I can experiment a lot easier with flavours and adjust things on the fly. Maybe you'd enjoy cooking more if you find the creative side of it?

 

Btw have you been to the dentist about your gums to check whether they're sensitive because of inflammation?

 

Some good stuff this challenge! Congrats on the Norwegian progress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hej Jett!

 

Even though the challenge is over I saw yours and wanted to drop in because I am learning Dansk :P

From what I have learned about Denmark (ex lived there + I've been looking into it because I want to move there) they're pretty open minded in regards to at least the LGB of LGBT (I don't have any info about the latter to pass judgement on it).

 

Good luck on continuing with your Norsk!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 12:37 PM, Tobbe said:

You have a new challenge thread set up yet Jett? Just want to make sure I don't miss anything :) 

 

Hey, sorry, I got an unexpected short work project, and my grandmother passed away, and so I've been buried under a lot of things that I had to do and lost track of time again. :/

Gonna set up a new one soon.

 

 

On 11/19/2018 at 2:40 PM, pureleeawesome said:

Even though the challenge is over I saw yours and wanted to drop in because I am learning Dansk :P

From what I have learned about Denmark (ex lived there + I've been looking into it because I want to move there) they're pretty open minded in regards to at least the LGB of LGBT (I don't have any info about the latter to pass judgement on it).

 

Good luck on continuing with your Norsk!

 

Hei hei! How do you find learning Dansk as an English speaker? I haven't tried to learn Dansk at all yet, but I hear that it's a bit different from the other Scandinavian languages, though still similar. I'm a little afraid to look at other Scandinavian languages right now, because I'll probably mix everything up with Norsk and end up speaking some kind of unintelligible pan-Scandinavian mixture. XD

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 1:51 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I quite enjoy chopping vegetables, I find it relaxing, almost meditative. :) But yeah, there are options. Or get wicked knife skills so it's quick at least! It's funny that you find baking more creative, I find it the opposite. It requires more precision and paying attention to recipes, with cooking I can experiment a lot easier with flavours and adjust things on the fly. Maybe you'd enjoy cooking more if you find the creative side of it?

 

Btw have you been to the dentist about your gums to check whether they're sensitive because of inflammation?

 

I kept thinking about this comment, but forgot to reply to it. Oops!

 

I've had several people tell me that chopping vegetables is meditative, but I just find it tedious. Maybe if I put on some music or a podcast or something, it would work better.

 

With baking, I have a good knack for "balancing" a recipe or substituting things. (Like, if I change the type of flour, it'll maybe make it more bitter, so needs something sweet like honey to compensate... adding honey makes it denser, so needs a little baking powder to be a bit fluffier... etc) But I also realized that, with baking, I'm not afraid of making a failure. If I make a cake and it comes out terrible, I can just toss it, and I'm out a few dollars and some disappointment. If I screw up dinner, then we're hungry and not only did I lose the cost of ingredients, but now we have to get take out or something, so there's $30+ wasted.

 

So, being afraid of messing up the recipe is one aspect. Another is that we use a meal delivery service, which delivers the ingredients for recipes plus a recipe card. So I'm following someone else's steps, and not necessarily making something I actually want to make. The service gives us 4 dinners' worth of food, so I could try making dinner one of the other days. 

 

I did see a dentist several months ago. He said my gums are having some separation from the teeth, and suggested a rather expensive and painful treatment that I couldn't afford. So yes, they're inflamed, but I don't know if there's much I can do about it right now. My mom has the same kind of thing, so I guess I have her to thank for my sensitive gums.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 1:11 PM, Jett said:

 

Hei hei! How do you find learning Dansk as an English speaker? I haven't tried to learn Dansk at all yet, but I hear that it's a bit different from the other Scandinavian languages, though still similar. I'm a little afraid to look at other Scandinavian languages right now, because I'll probably mix everything up with Norsk and end up speaking some kind of unintelligible pan-Scandinavian mixture. XD

 

I'm finding it hard - mostly because my tongue gets a workout due to pronouncing things in ways it's never had to pronounce before.

People argue with me that English is the hardest language to learn and I think in regards to learning all the words and grammar that's somewhat true.

But it's the easiest language to speak - it is so lazy and you can generally understand someone when they mispronounce words. Mispronounce words in some other languages and you're saying a completely different thing.

 

Ha, even if you end up mixing all your words no one over there understands their own language anyway :P

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

People argue with me that English is the hardest language

 

Never ever :D

On most of the lists the scandinavian, asian and east european languages are on top.

We learn english from age 6 or 10 on (depends) and I think it's one of the easiest languages out there. I struggle a lot with french and luxembourgish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

I'm finding it hard - mostly because my tongue gets a workout due to pronouncing things in ways it's never had to pronounce before.

...

Mispronounce words in some other languages and you're saying a completely different thing.

 

I'm definitely finding these things to be true in Norsk! Right now I'm trying to understand the difference between "kj" and "sk". In English there's no distinction between these two noises; either one is perfectly acceptable as the pronunciation of "sh". I've watched some videos and read about it, and I can even kind of reproduce the correct sound if I'm paying attention. But when listening, I can't hear the difference at all!

 

And I can't hear the difference between "sky" (cloud) and "ski". :apthy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Arkania said:

struggle a lot with french and luxembourgish.

 

I've studied French for years, and it's still hard. Too many conjugations! And words that sound the same because you only pronounce half of them... -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jett said:

 

I've studied French for years, and it's still hard. Too many conjugations! And words that sound the same because you only pronounce half of them... -_-

:D

And as a german I struggle a lot with the articles. We have 3 (der, die, das -> m, f, n) and they have 2 and they are sometimes the opposite, sometimes the same and I am afraid it is just memorizing. *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Arkania said:

and I am afraid it is just memorizing. *sigh*

 

It is! :D  It's something you just have to learn by practicing. But, on the other hand, it's not the end of the world if you get it wrong sometimes. We'll still understand you perfectly fine :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

 

It is! :D  It's something you just have to learn by practicing. But, on the other hand, it's not the end of the world if you get it wrong sometimes. We'll still understand you perfectly fine :) 

 

As long as I use all the words of a sentence as a word mumble everyone will understand me  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now