• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

The IE Group - Intuitive Eating Support Group

Recommended Posts

 

Welcome to the IE Group!

 

tumblr_o90nw3TtaB1rhl1gao1_500.gif

 

This group is for everyone, who wishes to practice intuitive eating. It doesn’t matter, if you’re just starting or if you’re a seasoned veteran: everyone’s welcome! This group is for sharing ideas and experiences around intuitive eating, and to offer guidance with issues that members might have.

 

Rules:

 

  • Intuitive eating is a very personal experience, so we’re not here to tell one another how to do it “right”. Instead, we support everyone to find their own way and navigate through their issues
  • Discussion should be mostly about intuitive eating and everything that has something to do with it
  • Personal venting is allowed, but put it under spoilers
  • Do not share material that encourages dieting or food restrictions - this group is not the place for that
  • Sharing material on intuitive eating is allowed
  • Avoid discussing exact calorie amounts or goal weights, as some might find this triggering (or put them under spoilers, too)
  • Taking part in challenges and other activities is optional. Use this group in any way you find helpful
  • Taking part in discussions that you find difficult or emotionally taxing is not expected of you. If something's too much for you to handle, feel free to skip the discussion

 

It is very likely that there will be discussion surrounding eating disorders and/or unhealthy relationship with food, since many discover intuitive eating after a long time of dieting or suffering from an eating disorder. This is why it’s important to understand that we are not trained psychologists, therapists, or dietitians: this group doesn’t replace getting professional help for your issues with food, but we’re here to offer support to one another. Some of us might have a healthy relationship with food, some not, and it's all OK: we're here to learn and grow :)

 

How to join? Come and say hello! If you wish to give a brief introduction of yourself and/or a link to your current challenge, that would be lovely :) ( But don't feel pressured to share any information you'd rather keep to yourself.)

 

What are the challenges about? The point of the challenges is to give one another mental support as we do things that are new and/or scary to us. For example, we might try eating our fear foods, or spend a week paying extra attention to our hunger or satiety signals. We encourage you to come up with your own challenge ideas and tell us about them: this is a wonderful opportunity to get support for something specific you're struggling with!

 

Current members:

 

 

Upcoming challenges:

 

- to be decided -

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intuitive Eating Resources

 

Books

 

 

 

Videos and podcasts

 

 

Articles

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First topic of discussion: why do you want to practice intuitive eating?

 

I start: you can read my history in more detail in my daily battle log (which I'm not currently using), but I chose to practice intuitive eating after years of dieting and disordered eating habits / an unspecified eating disorder. I believe that eating "unhealthy" foods every now and then is much less dangerous to my health than obsessing about food 24/7 and being afraid of gaining weight. It's not always easy, but once I stopped dieting, I haven't wanted to go back :) Currently, my goal is to stay healthy and functional so that I can study and work, and eating a proper amount of healthy foods plays a big part in that (during my ED times, all my mental energy was spent on thinking about food, and I was hungry, tense and anxious because I didn't eat enough). It's been a year and a half since I started, and I'm feeling a lot better both mentally and physically. And now I wanted to start this group to get some company on this journey :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Terah said:

Terah reporting for duty! 

You can find my thread here.

 

I've been working on my relationship with food for over a year now. I still have relapses into dieting, and I am hoping this group will help me stay on the right path. 

 

 

Awesome to have you here! :D What are your relapses like? Do you decide to follow a certain diet, or do you have diet mentality that kinda controls your eating, even though you're trying not to control? Because that's my issue. I haven't really missed diets or starting a new diet, but I have some thoughts around food that make me obsess too much. For example, I'm still worried that I'm not getting enough protein, and this makes me eat more of it than I'd actually feel comfortable to eat...! That's actually something I could start working on :)

 

18 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Checking in! :)  Will come back with links and stuff later Book

 

Welcome to the group! :) I took the liberty of adding a link to your current challenge, I hope you don't mind!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ensi said:

 

Awesome to have you here! :D What are your relapses like? Do you decide to follow a certain diet, or do you have diet mentality that kinda controls your eating, even though you're trying not to control? Because that's my issue. I haven't really missed diets or starting a new diet, but I have some thoughts around food that make me obsess too much. For example, I'm still worried that I'm not getting enough protein, and this makes me eat more of it than I'd actually feel comfortable to eat...! That's actually something I could start working on :)

 

I find the latest diet or decide to recycle an old one :p I find or make up a lot of rules to eat less, so I will lose weight. It gives me a sense of control, the idea that I'm doing something good. 

I'm trying to change my mindset from "I need to lose weight" to "I want to be/stay healthy". 

 

I've been following a lot of youtubers and instagrammers that talk about eating right and being healthy, backed up with science. It's been helping me a lot.

 

And about the protein: too much protein can be really bad for your body. Unless you're a bodybuilder prepping for a contest or are doing keto, you don't need to concern yourself with the carbs/protein/fat ratio too much, and just eat what you're craving. I hope this helps a bit in letting go :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea to create this group!

 

I wrote up a huge wall of text last challenge about my eating history which I'll link to, but the tl;dr version is this - have had issues with disordered/binge eating behaviour for many years, discovered the anti-dieting movement about a year ago (?) slowly realising how fucked up our society is. Currently at a point where I stopped any kind of tracking/weighing/dieting and feel much saner for it, but I still have a bunch of leftover bad eating habits treating my body like a jerk which I want to get rid of. But without rules or restrictions.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Great idea to create this group!

 

I wrote up a huge wall of text last challenge about my eating history which I'll link to, but the tl;dr version is this - have had issues with disordered/binge eating behaviour for many years, discovered the anti-dieting movement about a year ago (?) slowly realising how fucked up our society is. Currently at a point where I stopped any kind of tracking/weighing/dieting and feel much saner for it, but I still have a bunch of leftover bad eating habits treating my body like a jerk which I want to get rid of. But without rules or restrictions.

 

 

 

 

Welcome to the group! :) I climbed read your Wall of Text, and I'm glad to hear that you're recovering from your disordered eating / BED - the realization can be so hard when you can't see the fault in your ways, and the culture around you actually encourages you to having disordered eating habits...! I share your struggles with eating healthy without rules or restrictions, and I find that the best way to do it is to make healthy food enjoyable. Actually, the most difficult part for me is that self-compassion and treating your body lovingly are a huge part of recovery. It's easier to try and hate yourself healthy... :D

 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh and you probably want to add the actual IE book in the resource list. :) 

 

Oh, right :DD I copied the list from my old intuitive eating journal and didn't think of updating it. Thanks! I also added a couple more books. There's also a book by Gisela van der Ster, but I'm a bit reluctant to recommend it here, because it's not available in English. You and @Tobbe could benefit from it, though: in Finnish, it's called Lupa syödä, and in Swedish, Mattillåtet. I read it in Finnish last year when I started recovery, and it was such a biological approach to human body and nutrition that it helped me understand how food actually affects me. It's also from the perspective of eating disorder treatment, so double yay!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terah said:

I find the latest diet or decide to recycle an old one :p I find or make up a lot of rules to eat less, so I will lose weight. It gives me a sense of control, the idea that I'm doing something good. 

I'm trying to change my mindset from "I need to lose weight" to "I want to be/stay healthy". 

 

I've been following a lot of youtubers and instagrammers that talk about eating right and being healthy, backed up with science. It's been helping me a lot.

 

And about the protein: too much protein can be really bad for your body. Unless you're a bodybuilder prepping for a contest or are doing keto, you don't need to concern yourself with the carbs/protein/fat ratio too much, and just eat what you're craving. I hope this helps a bit in letting go :) 

 

When the urge to start a new diet comes up, could you remind yourself about what happens every time you try one? Every. Single. Time. For the last x amount of years. You can do it for as long as you like, but the result isn't likely to change. Changing the mindset is hard, but staying kind and patient with yourself is super helpful. Personally, another thing that's been hard to grasp is that since nutrition isn't the single factor in staying healthy, it doesn't require as much attention as we may think. Sometimes it feels like we have to be constantly aware of our food choices and monitor possible threats so that we won't accidentally ruin our efforts. It's really common to read that in order to be healthy, you need to eat in a certain way, but rest, managing stress and doing things that make you happy are equally important. Could you maybe focus on being good by arranging yourself 20 minutes during the day to just to take a nap, meditate, or read something funny? Even 10 minutes helps, though :D

 

Thanks for the thing you said about protein! I cooked some zucchini, broccoli and quinoa for dinner, and added just some goat cheese instead of my regular protein portion (usually chicken). Sure, there's protein in goat cheese, but I was mostly thinking of what would taste good :)

 

**

 

Alright, I've tried something new today: I have this habit of buying something sweet to have at home (a bar of chocolate, ice cream, sweets, whatever), and it's always the same sweets. I tell myself, "this time, I can control myself not to eat too much!" - and then I have several servings during the day, always feeling guilty and like I can't stop having it. Finally, I toss the rest away in order to not eat it. And then I buy some more, and the cycle continues T__T But! Earlier this week, I had lunch in a diner, and they told me that I could have dessert. I was first looking at options with chocolate, like I always do, but then I saw a green apple macaron, and got interested. I had that macaron, and it tasted new and interesting. I thought about the macaron, and realized that the regular sweets I have don't feel new and interesting. They're boring, I have them out of habit, and I only think about how much I'm eating them instead of how good they taste. So, instead of trying to win my game of cupboard sweets, I quit the game. This morning, I went for a walk, and went to a local coffee house to get myself something sweet. They had cheesecake muffins (!!!!!), so I bought one and brought it home with me. Normally, I wouldn't have something like that, because I seem to have this "certain amount of sweets" I'm allowed to have daily, and I try to spare it for my (boring) favourites. I had a quarter of the cheesecake muffin for dessert, and it tasted really good and left me satisfied. I didn't need seconds, and I still have some left in the fridge. I haven't missed my cupboard sweets at all, either. I learned that I've only thought that my regular sweets make me satisfied, when in fact, they do not. Instead of restricting sweets, I'm going to challenge myself to try new flavours and sweets that interest me.

 

So, what's the point of this? Probably that creating weird restrictions and games to test if I can control myself around food are pointless, and can actually prevent me from having new, exciting experiences. I also started to think, if there are other "boring habits" in my life that hold me back. I need to think about it...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ensi said:

I took the liberty of adding a link to your current challenge, I hope you don't mind!

 

Of course not :) Thanks for adding it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 10:30 AM, Ensi said:

Kathryn Hansen: Brain Over Binge

  • Brain Over Binge is the story of a recovering bulimic and realizations that have helped her deal with her eating disorder

 

 

I've got this as an e-book, but haven't read it yet. Have you (or anyone else in here) read it? Would you recommend it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ensi said:

It's really common to read that in order to be healthy, you need to eat in a certain way, but rest, managing stress and doing things that make you happy are equally important

 

I wish I could focus more on managing stress, and sleeping. And focusing less on food. When I'm having a good day I feel like all the constant obsession/stress/thinking about food causes more harm to my general health, than whatever "bad" food choice I might have done if I didn't think about what I eat all the time. Or, in other words; If I ate something that my current diet mind deems "bad" every once in a while, that would actually be better for my health, than this constant obsession with what I eat and the resulting weight yo-yo-ing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ensi said:

share your struggles with eating healthy without rules or restrictions, and I find that the best way to do it is to make healthy food enjoyable.

The biggest mindfuck for me is that I DO enjoy healthy food! Yet my brain defaults to rubbish that I don't even want to eat. Like you said - it's the same BORING things on a  loop! Things that I often don't even particularly enjoy. I don't have a problem stuffing my face with something delicious haha but when it comes to rubbish it's just like whyyyy? It feels incredibly wasteful on so many levels.

 

Thanks for the book recommendation btw, I found the book in Swedish at the library here!

 

9 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

I've got this as an e-book, but haven't read it yet. Have you (or anyone else in here) read it? Would you recommend it?

I read it recently and I think overall it's worth a read. I did find it somewhat annoying and wanting her to get on with things, and it felt overly simplistic times, but there were some interesting tidbits.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ensi said:

There's also a book by Gisela van der Ster, but I'm a bit reluctant to recommend it here, because it's not available in English. You and @Tobbe could benefit from it, though: in Finnish, it's called Lupa syödä, and in Swedish, Mattillåtet.

 

It's actually the book they use at the ED center I go to for my treatment. They went on-and-on-and-on about me reading the book, but I was really reluctant. But after a while I went to the library and got the book and started reading it. But didn't like it at all. So I returned it. I think I might get it again though. I feel my mind is in a totally different place now than it was then. I think I might just not have been ready to take it in at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I read it recently and I think overall it's worth a read. I did find it somewhat annoying and wanting her to get on with things, and it felt overly simplistic times, but there were some interesting tidbits.  

 

Thanks. I'll keep it on my to-read list then :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Today, I will try to feed myself when I am hungry.
Today, I
will try to be attentive to how foods taste and make me feel.
Today, I
will try to choose foods that I like and that make me feel good.
Today, I
will try to honor my body's signals of fullness.
Today, I will try to find an enjoyable way to move my body.
Today, I will try to look kindly at my body and to treat it with love and respect.

 - https://lindabacon.org/HAESbook/pdf_files/HAES_Live Well Pledge.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

If I ate something that my current diet mind deems "bad" every once in a while, that would actually be better for my health, than this constant obsession with what I eat and the resulting weight yo-yo-ing.

I truly believe that the stress surrounding disordered eating causes much more harm than overindulging once in a while. But the restrict/binge cycle is not only a huge mental stressor - it's very much a direct physical stressor too. Which is part of the reason why the brain goes haywire.

 

But even for people without disordered eating I see so much unnecessary stress surrounding food. For example people ruining their food experiences by feeling guilty all the time! Or the time I witnessed a couple arguing over the guy adding literally half a teaspoon of sugar to a dish for four people. Because sugar is bad for you. Pretty clear what's more harmful there...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could say I do the things in that list I posted above every day. But I don't. It's something I feel I could work towards though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ensi said:

There's also a book by Gisela van der Ster, 

Her name is Dutch, so I looked up the book, but no luck. Too bad I can't read Finnish... 

 

3 hours ago, Ensi said:

Every. Single. Time. For the last x amount of years. You can do it for as long as you like, but the result isn't likely to change. 

I know! Every time I think: this time it will be different. But it won't... 

I'm hoping I'll remember this next time. 

 

 

3 hours ago, Ensi said:

Could you maybe focus on being good by arranging yourself 20 minutes during the day to just to take a nap, meditate, or read something funny? Even 10 minutes helps, though 

You're right, food isn't the only factor in being healthy. 

I'm trying to do this, but it's hard to shut off the "there is so much I need to do" voice in my head, so I never fully seem to relax. 

3 hours ago, Ensi said:

but I was mostly thinking of what would taste good 

Progress! *high five*

 

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

 

I've got this as an e-book, but haven't read it yet. Have you (or anyone else in here) read it? Would you recommend it?

I read it. It was the first book that pointed me in the direction of intuitive eating, and for that it was great. It was also easy to read (I'm not a native English speaker). Try it, you might like it :)

 

1 hour ago, Tobbe said:

I wish I could say I do the things in that list I posted above every day. But I don't. It's something I feel I could work towards though!

Focus on progress, not perfection :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Terah said:

I read it. It was the first book that pointed me in the direction of intuitive eating, and for that it was great. It was also easy to read (I'm not a native English speaker). Try it, you might like it :)

 

I'm going to finish the IE book first. And the IE Workbook. Then we'll see if I go with this one, try Gisela's book again, or if something even more interesting sounding pops up :) 

 

7 minutes ago, Terah said:

Focus on progress, not perfection :)

 

I know... and I will! Thanks :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The biggest mindfuck for me is that I DO enjoy healthy food! Yet my brain defaults to rubbish that I don't even want to eat. Like you said - it's the same BORING things on a  loop! Things that I often don't even particularly enjoy. I don't have a problem stuffing my face with something delicious haha but when it comes to rubbish it's just like whyyyy? It feels incredibly wasteful on so many levels.

 

Could you give some examples of these "rubbish" foods that you eat? I'm not sure if my rubbish (the sweets) is the same thing, but I realized that I've had them, because I've thought they would be satisfying, but then I had that macaron, which was actually satisfying. I guess I like exploring new things and studying, so it's no wonder that trying new foods brings me joy, too :D

 

9 hours ago, Tobbe said:

 

It's actually the book they use at the ED center I go to for my treatment. They went on-and-on-and-on about me reading the book, but I was really reluctant. But after a while I went to the library and got the book and started reading it. But didn't like it at all. So I returned it. I think I might get it again though. I feel my mind is in a totally different place now than it was then. I think I might just not have been ready to take it in at that time.

 

Oh, I do remember that it was written in a pretty boring way, and sometimes things got repetitive, but it really helped me. Reading that "your body needs protein, carbs and fat" was a huge support, when I was surrounded by magazines that told me to cut everything from my diet. The book was so boring and normal that it actually felt really refreshing after reading so many hyped up diet rule books... All in all, I started asking myself during recovery, "how do all these people around me eat?" and I realized that many stay healthy without strict diets and control. I want to be a normal eater, thanks!

 

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I truly believe that the stress surrounding disordered eating causes much more harm than overindulging once in a while. But the restrict/binge cycle is not only a huge mental stressor - it's very much a direct physical stressor too. Which is part of the reason why the brain goes haywire.

 

But even for people without disordered eating I see so much unnecessary stress surrounding food. For example people ruining their food experiences by feeling guilty all the time! Or the time I witnessed a couple arguing over the guy adding literally half a teaspoon of sugar to a dish for four people. Because sugar is bad for you. Pretty clear what's more harmful there...

 

I agree that the stress that disordered eating causes is definitely more harmful than overindulging once in a while, for sure! And about unnecessary stress surrounding food... Having lunch at my workplace is usually pretty interesting. I've had people tell me about their diets, sigh in a guilty manner when they have a single cookie, all that. And once there was a girl, who read the label on my chocolate pudding, and started telling me that there are tons of preservatives and colourants in it. I just asked, "does that cause you anxiety?" and she laughed nervously, "well, yes!" and then she kept eating her chia seed pudding. Actually, that's what I said to everyone, who commented on my food choices that summer (I had just started recovery a couple of months earlier)...

 

8 hours ago, Terah said:

Her name is Dutch, so I looked up the book, but no luck. Too bad I can't read Finnish... 

 

 

I could borrow the book again and see if I could share some ideas here. I'm not sure if it was in this book, but I remember having some source that explained how eating too little is a big factor in why binge eating happens, and that feeding yourself sufficiently helps a lot in recovery. Then again, I haven't suffered from binge eating, "only" from constant food thoughts and snacking (caused by eating too little). I remember when I started to eat more and didn't think about food all the time. The bliss! :D

 

8 hours ago, Terah said:

 

You're right, food isn't the only factor in being healthy. 

I'm trying to do this, but it's hard to shut off the "there is so much I need to do" voice in my head, so I never fully seem to relax. 

 

 

You do have a lot more to do than I do haha, but one of my favourite ways of relaxing these days is to tell myself, "time to let life take the wheel while I take a quick nap" and then I literally imagine myself moving to the backseat to take a nap while life takes us forwards :D It gives me the feeling that things progress, even if I'm not doing anything actively. The more I do this, the more I notice it to be true: I'm not required to be active 24/7 in order to get my stuff done. And, after the break, you have rested and can probably perform better than without the break. All in all, it's been really helpful for my stress levels to identify the things that I only think that I need to do, and then just not do them. Could you recognize some things that you just think you need to do? And could you delegate some things to someone else?

 

10 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I wish I could say I do the things in that list I posted above every day. But I don't. It's something I feel I could work towards though!

 

It takes time, and you're not bad or weak if you can't do those things right away! It's a process, as Terah said :) But try and cultivate those thoughts, because you deserve a comfortable, happy life, no matter your body size. We all do! I've only lately started to believe that for myself, and I feel a lot happier than before. Of course there will be hard times, but it doesn't mean that I can't have a life that I enjoy.

 

One of my favourite mantras, I hope it helps you all to start your week in a fab fashion:

 

meditation-affirmations-7.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ensi said:

I'm not sure if it was in this book, but I remember having some source that explained how eating too little is a big factor in why binge eating happens, and that feeding yourself sufficiently helps a lot in recovery. 

I've come to the same conclusion. After restricting for a few day/weeks I binge. And the time between binges decreases the longer I try to restrict... 

 

2 hours ago, Ensi said:

time to let life take the wheel

That is hard! I can be a total control freak :p But I will try.

2 hours ago, Ensi said:

And could you delegate some things to someone else?

My husband occasionally helps me out, but he's really busy too. So I feel guilty to ask. The boys do help out (with a lot of whining :p ). But they are small, so it takes me more time to explain and help them than I gain from their help. I see it as a future investment ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Terah said:

I've come to the same conclusion. After restricting for a few day/weeks I binge. And the time between binges decreases the longer I try to restrict... 

 

Same here...

 

14 minutes ago, Terah said:

But they are small, so it takes me more time to explain and help them than I gain from their help. I see it as a future investment ;)

 

Hah! I'm totally in the same boat with my two boys! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now