• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

The IE Group - Intuitive Eating Support Group

Recommended Posts

I found the article where that hunger/fullness scale I posted above comes from. Credit where credit's due. https://www.rachaelhartleynutrition.com/blog/beyond-the-hunger-fullness-scale

 

She actually also touches on the subject I kind of mentioned too, that all scales are a little different. But that it doesn't really matter. Because IE is different for everybody too, and you're not supposed to use the scales to pinpoint exactly (like 3.75) where you're at on the scale. It should just be more of a rough estimate to help in the beginning with knowing when to eat, and when to stop eating :) 

 

Quote

I've seen people use different markers/physical cues on the hunger/fullness scale, and just know there's no right or wrong! It's really whatever works for you, as the whole point is to simply tune into these cues, not identify the number with 100% accuracy. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 5:46 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Usually after dinner at work.

 

How long is the time between lunch and dinner? Do you have a small snack between these meal times? It could be that you get really hungry between the meals... And if you do have a snack, is it big enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 12:54 AM, Ensi said:

Building trust between your body and yourself (or pretty much yourself and anyone!) takes time and effort...! It sounds to me like you have the right mindset about this :) You can't force trust, it builds up with time. Try to think of the past experiences you've had, and you might find things that you can already trust.

 

Do you think that having a meal is something that takes away from other things? As in, you shouldn't take time to really relax and enjoy your food? Could you make it a priority for yourself to take half an hour to allow yourself relax and do nothing else but to eat your food and recharge your batteries? And to not stress too much about it: I usually start eating without any distractions, but I might take a look at some things online while I'm munching away. Demanding perfection with our eating habits isn't good, either: "if I can't sit still and do nothing else but to enjoy this food, I'm doing it wrong!" isn't what we're after. Enjoy your food, but allow yourself to get a bit distracted, too. Maybe start your meal with the idea that you're allowed to start reading whenever you want? Could that help with getting started? (It might not be food we're restricting, but maybe there are other ways to restrict ourselves...)

I'm working on it. This week has been a bit of a disaster, but so has life recently so I can't really expect to be perfect when I'm barely emotionally functional on a good day. 

 

For me, I feel very strange being idle in any way now. It's holdover from college, where I did homework or was working basically every free moment and then the only time I got to take breaks and read (something I love doing) was while I was eating. I think what I might do is make 10-30 minutes before I go to bed every day to read if I'm in the middle of a book. I guess reading feels like I'm being too idle and I need to be doing something 'productive' (work related, cleaning the house related, or related to my makeup youtube channel- though that last feels a bit frivolous sometimes too tbh). Which isn't fair, I need to take care of myself too. It's really hard to allow myself to truly relax. I guess I need to learn that if I'm going to be trying to take care of myself better. Which I really do want to do, I'm just... really bad at it >.<

 

I think I also need to take smaller steps. When I was dieting, I was most successful when I made little changes slowly to be "healthier." So why not gamify the whole thing by building new, good self care habits? At least to start off I guess. I might try joining habitica to help me start building habits like that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I struggled a lot the last 2 weeks with my eating.
 

Spoiler

 

After I decided to do IE i ate AAAALL the things. SO the scale went higher and higher. People noticed and told me that they can tell that I gained weight. That I look "more".

And I am very anxious about that. It was a lot for two weeks. 5kg.

BUT I ate almost just carbs. Bread, bread rolls, pizza, all the good stuff. So there might (there is) some water and I think because of all the carbs I was so bloated. Because they take a lot of time to digest. Longer than protein etc.

But I think this "haven't had it for years, need it now!" is now done. Yesterday and today was sort of "normal" again. Hopefully.

I can'T stand this weight. Ok, it's not the weight itself (the number) but the way I look now.

BUT!!!! I put the scales in the basement. Yay!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Lunch to dinner is short, and I do have plenty of snacks in between. I do think they are big enough.

 

OK, I was thinking that maybe there was a longer pause or something :D Just keep experimenting, and try that "if I have to think about it, I might not be hungry" approach for a while, if that feels like a good idea? Keep us posted!

 

5 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

I'm working on it. This week has been a bit of a disaster, but so has life recently so I can't really expect to be perfect when I'm barely emotionally functional on a good day. 

 

For me, I feel very strange being idle in any way now. It's holdover from college, where I did homework or was working basically every free moment and then the only time I got to take breaks and read (something I love doing) was while I was eating. I think what I might do is make 10-30 minutes before I go to bed every day to read if I'm in the middle of a book. I guess reading feels like I'm being too idle and I need to be doing something 'productive' (work related, cleaning the house related, or related to my makeup youtube channel- though that last feels a bit frivolous sometimes too tbh). Which isn't fair, I need to take care of myself too. It's really hard to allow myself to truly relax. I guess I need to learn that if I'm going to be trying to take care of myself better. Which I really do want to do, I'm just... really bad at it >.<

 

I think I also need to take smaller steps. When I was dieting, I was most successful when I made little changes slowly to be "healthier." So why not gamify the whole thing by building new, good self care habits? At least to start off I guess. I might try joining habitica to help me start building habits like that. 

 

Sounds to me like prioritizing rest and learning to take time for yourself are more important right now than getting your eating habits right...! What I mean is that it's hard to change your eating habits, if you feel otherwise out of control or unable to stop and de-stress. Sounds like you try to fill your time with as much activity as possible, because you feel like you have to be productive at all times. You really want to learn to take care of yourself, which is already a huge step towards actually doing it :) Again, I'd say that trust becomes with experience. Could you take a week, where you take 30 minutes every day to relax, and observe how it effects your well-being? You might just notice, that you start to actually feel better, and you get everything done just as you usually do. Could this article offer some help?

 

1 hour ago, Arkania said:

I struggled a lot the last 2 weeks with my eating.
 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

After I decided to do IE i ate AAAALL the things. SO the scale went higher and higher. People noticed and told me that they can tell that I gained weight. That I look "more".

And I am very anxious about that. It was a lot for two weeks. 5kg.

BUT I ate almost just carbs. Bread, bread rolls, pizza, all the good stuff. So there might (there is) some water and I think because of all the carbs I was so bloated. Because they take a lot of time to digest. Longer than protein etc.

But I think this "haven't had it for years, need it now!" is now done. Yesterday and today was sort of "normal" again. Hopefully.

I can'T stand this weight. Ok, it's not the weight itself (the number) but the way I look now.

BUT!!!! I put the scales in the basement. Yay!

 

 

 

 

 

0OGneOP.jpg

(sorry, this just popped into my mind...)

 

Sorry to hear you've had such an experience, especially with people commenting on your weight. But it sounds like you've had really restrictive mindset about those foods, and now you've really let yourself have as much as you've wanted...! How do you feel about the "forbidden" foods now? Do you want to keep eating them? (Remember: you're allowed to eat them, as much as you want.)

 

I'd say you've been really brave to actually give yourself permission to eat. It's not a mistake, nor does it mean that this is how you will keep practicing IE, if you do not want to. I had a lot of ice cream and chocolate when I started. But, at some point, I started to get bored by them, and wanted to eat something else. I started paying more attention to eating healthier foods that made me feel better. That's the key: finding foods that make you feel better. They might not always taste amazing and make you feel completely satisfied, but it's not about the perfection: it's about finding what makes you feel good. If you're healthy and energized, that's awesome :D

 

Again: you haven't done anything wrong. You've started to learn something new, and no one's a champion when they start something new. You've taken a brave step towards trying something else than dieting, and that's awesome :) The weight gain can be expected for anyone, who starts. Take a deep breath, remember that pizza is there if you want it, and keep making choices you think could make you feel happy and energetic!  There's a middleground between "restricting everything" and "munching pizza all day", you just need to build it for yourself. You got this :love_heart:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ensi said:

I'd say you've been really brave to actually give yourself permission to eat.

Agreed! 

 

About people commenting:

51f71155c8561126be00000d_736.jpg

 

Also none of their fucking business. Hope you enjoyed all the good stuff! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I asked some of the people if one can see the weight gain.

And then I saw some pictures of me from September with 5kg less than now, I was a bit shocked because I haven't seen myself that "thin". And when I look in the mirror now... hm.

Will write more tomorrow :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ensi said:

0OGneOP.jpg

(sorry, this just popped into my mind...)

 

Sorry to hear you've had such an experience, especially with people commenting on your weight. But it sounds like you've had really restrictive mindset about those foods, and now you've really let yourself have as much as you've wanted...! How do you feel about the "forbidden" foods now? Do you want to keep eating them? (Remember: you're allowed to eat them, as much as you want.)

 

I'd say you've been really brave to actually give yourself permission to eat. It's not a mistake, nor does it mean that this is how you will keep practicing IE, if you do not want to. I had a lot of ice cream and chocolate when I started. But, at some point, I started to get bored by them, and wanted to eat something else. I started paying more attention to eating healthier foods that made me feel better. That's the key: finding foods that make you feel better. They might not always taste amazing and make you feel completely satisfied, but it's not about the perfection: it's about finding what makes you feel good. If you're healthy and energized, that's awesome :D

 

Again: you haven't done anything wrong. You've started to learn something new, and no one's a champion when they start something new. You've taken a brave step towards trying something else than dieting, and that's awesome :) The weight gain can be expected for anyone, who starts. Take a deep breath, remember that pizza is there if you want it, and keep making choices you think could make you feel happy and energetic!  There's a middleground between "restricting everything" and "munching pizza all day", you just need to build it for yourself. You got this :love_heart:

 

There were 3 people commenting and I don't think they wanted to be mean. Two I asked if they can see anything (one said I was looking really thicccccc :D ) and one just asked. All friends, no strangers or colleagues or something.

I don't feel like I want to have these foods right now in this amounts. Or at all. But this may change with my hormonal status/cycle.

I am craving veggies and protein the last days. And I think, if I really listen to my body (the last days I were fuller than full) I can eat smaller portions, won't be bloated as much, may loose weight etc. I am still eating like during my diet. Huuuuge amounts of veggies and protein I ate there. But now I can eat everything. So I don't need these huge amounts of low-calorie stuff.

 

And thank you all <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for jumping to conclusions @Arkania, my bad. :) 

 

12 hours ago, Arkania said:

And then I saw some pictures of me from September with 5kg less than now, I was a bit shocked because I haven't seen myself that "thin". And when I look in the mirror now... hm.

For me it's really difficult to compare what I see in the mirror to what I see in pictures. I've looked back on old pics and thought I looked so fit compared to my current "fat" self. But when I've later seen pictures of my "fat" self I realise I looked fine even then, it was just my brain playing tricks on me. 

 

Another thing that I've noticed that my body image is quite often correlated to how strong I feel. If I'm having a period of feeling weak or not performing so well my brain quite often goes into auto pilot and says that's because I'm too fat for my sports. Rather than the logical conclusions like not sleeping enough or not recovering well enough. Now that I'm injured I'm trying to see it as an opportunity to work on that and hopefully come back to heavy activity with less judgement and more of a beginner's mindset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Another thing that I've noticed that my body image is quite often correlated to how strong I feel. If I'm having a period of feeling weak or not performing so well my brain quite often goes into auto pilot and says that's because I'm too fat for my sports.

I notice that, too.

("I am to heavy for bouldering": I have never done as many boulder problems as now....)

 

And again regarding the comparing: It's the same everytime. When I was 58kg I looked at photos and thought: "omg, really chubby" (i am 5'6"/1,72m) and when I look at it now: "Woah, really!!skinny!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I look at old photos I see that yes, I was skinnier, but I look so much stronger now! My posture is better and I look less naive ;)

 

Can you guys see positive changes too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Terah said:

When I look at old photos I see that yes, I was skinnier, but I look so much stronger now! My posture is better and I look less naive ;)

  

 Can you guys see positive changes too? 

From really old pictures yes, when I didn't have any upper body muscles. :D  But there was a phase about two years ago when I was really rather lean for my frame (of course I didn't think so at the time) and I won't lie I do think I looked my best then. Funnily enough it coincided with a period where I was living together with a BF who cooked and liked to exercise so both my eating and my exercise habits were a lot more stable. Even if I got distracted I'd still eat when he ate and I think it helped loads to just eat regularly and enough nutritious food. It wasn't perfect and I didn't eat intuitively but it was a lot easier and I *think* I binged less.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this pop up and would be interested in joining the conversation if ya'll decide to move it forward! I just finished a period of work with an IE coach. Feeling happy about the experience!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Just saw this pop up and would be interested in joining the conversation if ya'll decide to move it forward! I just finished a period of work with an IE coach. Feeling happy about the experience!

Awesome! Wanna tell us more? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terah said:

When I look at old photos I see that yes, I was skinnier, but I look so much stronger now! My posture is better and I look less naive ;)

 

Can you guys see positive changes too? 

 

As you may see on my profile picture I don't have a "skinny" physique. So even when I am 10kg less and without that muscles I am more "broad". And with all the muscles (and the fat oncovering them) one can see that even more. They exploded when I started not to cut on food. Before that, when I was on diet, I did a lot more sports and muscles grew but not like THAT. So now I know what bulk/cut phases are for :D

And because I do most weight training and almost no cardio they are big. I like them, but with less bodyfat it would look amazing. BUT only on my but (ok, under the butt, the bananas ;) ). The rest is fine!

My clothes are getting too tight :D

 

So yeah, I like the muscle growth and that I am strong now!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Just saw this pop up and would be interested in joining the conversation if ya'll decide to move it forward! I just finished a period of work with an IE coach. Feeling happy about the experience!

 

A very warm welcome! We will definitely continue; here's the new group thread:

 

 

Welcome to the new thread, everyone! :)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now