Big_Show in #OperationWeddingSuit

I'm fairly confident we share that power and it's when our powers combine disaster strikes
cb2cc10baca8858fd057263f800ca088.gif

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Wednesday!

Day off from training.  Which is a good thing for the sake of my quads - it may not have been a particularly heavy leg day by a long shot, but they are definitely not used to this!

After work my train was cancelled.  So I went to the pub and had a pint and read my book while waiting for the next one.   I then ended up stood next to the buffet car on a train full of two trains' worth of people, so I had another beer while continuing to read my book.  And by that point I felt like another beer, so the Welshman & I went to the pub.  To be fair, he kinda needed that too.

Anyway, what this shows is that I need another go-to option for next time my train is cancelled.  Could go for a walk I suppose, or head over to the platform on the other cafe for a coffee?  Either way, it was too easy an option and the path of least resistance led to more beer.  And now wine.

Chest Day tomorrow! I shall redeem myself.

• Like 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Oh the sweet, sweet siren song of beer. So seductive. Water, barley, hops and TEMPTATION!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Thursday!

I did my first chest/shoulders/triceps day in a long time.  I am definitely also out of practice at that one too.  But it felt really good to be properly back at it, and I have now completed all three of the workouts I wanted to do this week!  One at the weekend will be a nice bonus, but is not compulsory.  (But I really want to and so probably will.)

Gluten-light does not appear to be happening - I managed to avoid it at lunchtime with my canteen order (korean beef bowl served on rice) but I was still not feeling at all full, so then the shop happened on the way back to the office... and tonight I cooked us a big bolognese but served it with buttered cheesy bread.

Tasted damn good though.  Got leftover bolognese for lunch tomorrow too.

Also, I am currently drinking my second glass of wine.  Maybe November/December wasn't the time to try to cut down, but I'm going to try again next week to not drink on school nights.  I'll get there.

• Like 4

Bolognese sounds so good! And winter/holidays is undisputedly the worst time to cut back on delicious delicious booze drinks, so it makes sense that it would be trickier, but maybe the odds being stacked against you is precisely what could give you uncanny tea drinking powers?

• Like 1

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

A good fun weekend! Our house now contains two fully-decorated Christmas trees. And I deadlifted. Proper update this evening!

• Like 5

TWO christmas trees?? That's so festive.  I really need to get on just setting up our one and only hahah.

Oh man Bolegnese sounds delicious.  You could always try some gluten free pasta next time - the kind that combines quinoa, rice and some third type of flour that currently escapes me is actually really good.  Mr. Raxie didn't even noticed I used it until I told him.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Raxie said:

TWO christmas trees?? That's so festive.  I really need to get on just setting up our one and only hahah.

Oh man Bolegnese sounds delicious.  You could always try some gluten free pasta next time - the kind that combines quinoa, rice and some third type of flour that currently escapes me is actually really good.  Mr. Raxie didn't even noticed I used it until I told him.

Ah good call, I never remember to try that!  Thign I got a bit jaded when I used to eat it around 10yrs ago and it tated absolutely awful...

• Like 1

Update time!

Friday

This was my Christmas work night out.  We had a lovely meal, many drinks, and quite a late night.

Saturday

Obviously had a bit of lie-in to make up for last night (totally worth it), then took the rest of the day off everything goal-related.  We popped by a beer festival in the afternoon briefly, walked a fair way around town, and spent the evening decorating our Christmas tree.  And very nifty it looks too!

Sunday

Went out to buy another Christmas tree!  A taller, thinner one to go in the conservatory without preventing us being able to sit at the dinner table.

After that I went to the gym again for a Back & Biceps session - slightly higher deadlifts again, and progress in everything else too.  Very pleased with how it is going so far.

After that some friends came round for the afternoon, and then in the evening we decorated Tree no. 2 and I made the new Italian Sausage & Kale Casserole from Nom Nom Paleo's blog.  Very nice, and I'll definitely be making it again!

Summary of the week - I am back to consistently going to the gym, but not doing any of my other goals.  Need to focus more on that this week!

Dinner's ready now.  Tree photos to follow soon.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

Ah good call, I never remember to try that!  Thign I got a bit jaded when I used to eat it around 10yrs ago and it tated absolutely awful...

Yeah they have for sure come a longggggg way in the gluten free technology magic. Definitely give it another try! But look for the multi-flour kinds if you can find it.

1 minute ago, Big_Show said:

I am back to consistently going to the gym

That's awesome!!

• Like 1

I LOVE YOUR BATMAN TREE DANGLY! SO FESTIVE AND POWERFUL!

• Like 1

Time for another update!

Monday

Took the remains of yesterday's casserole for lunch at work (photos to follow in a subsequent post).  It tasted just as nice reheated, although didn't quite fill me up enough for a lunchtime - decided to add some boiled potatoes as a little side dish for next time.  I know it's mainly boredom, but I do seem to get very hungry at work all the time.  Especially now I'm back to exercising.

Gym after work for Leg Day!  When I arrived both squat racks were in use so I decided to skip squats and move straight on to the leg press, figuring I could do them at the weekend.  Then I got more stern with myself and just asked one of the guys how many sets he had left - turned out he was on his last one, so I just waited a couple of minutes and then did my full workout as originally planned.  Yay for not being a wuss!  I do hate squats though - I have always had an irrational fear of my squat form and/or ability, but that's only going to improve by actually Doing The Damn Thing.

Tuesday

'

Hungry all day at work and ate like an arsehole.  Came to the conclusion that I just plain have to ban myself totally from using the shop at work, or from eating any of the snacks people bring in to the office.  "Just the one" inevitably becomes "Just one more" with me, and I have to be aware of this.

No exercise after work - went out to a comedy night at our favourite local restaurant.  For £20 you get a burger & chips and a drink, then there's a compere and two comedians.  Always a good night, and today I got to find out what a charcoal bun tastes like!  I had kinda assumed it would be crunchy, to be honest, but it was really nice.

Wednesday

No unplanned snacking at work today!  Roast pork dinner in the canteen for lunch (going to be my weekly treat from now on I thnk - allows me to prep lunches two days at a time instead of spending ages over it at once) and took a different route back to the office to avoid the shop and therefore temptation.

Chest, Shoulders & Triceps at the gym after work; I nearly sacked it off entirely as my head was kinda battered from work, but there was an accident on the A12 in the afternoon which made all the traffic in town awful due to diversions and so I realised the gym would be really quiet!  Gotta take advantage of that!  Ended up having a pretty good session all things considered.

Dinner was an experimental variation on the Nom Nom Paleo casserole - I used bacon, a big bag of diced carrot & swede, and a bag of leek & cabbage.  It came out really nice again and provided two days of lunches for me to round off the week with!

Thursday

No snacking, and bacony goodness for lunch.  A good day.

Gym this evening was Back & Biceps day - my deadlift continues to edge gradually back up again, and I'm enjoying all the rest of the exercises too.  Plus I get to finish this one off with bicep curls, so that's always fun.

I have been succumbing to having a couple of glasses of wine each evening still this week - less than last week, but it's still a routine I need to break.  I'm more aware of my consumption though, and leaving it until later in the evening, so that's still progress.

That's all three of my gym sessions for the week done now - I plan to get to the gym Saturday morning for another Leg session, then forget about it for the rest of the weekend and enjoy myself.  Got some family time planned for Saturday afternoon/evening, and then a little local Comic-Con to go to on the Sunday morning.  Should be a nice relaxing weekend!

• Like 5

The original italian sausage & kale casserole:

05a2ab4e5fb8550ac4c2ec8766238039.jpg

89136d020b6d4e35d14813d38d7c2547.jpg

The cheeseburger in a charcoal bun:

af33b49609947545f1cc2bf646d1c70b.jpg

And my bacony alternative casserole with new potatoes:

00e1f2389da225ce495a9855298a007c.jpg

• Like 2

Friday

A day off from training and... everything, basically.  Lack of sleep caught up with me - got home, sat on the Xbox for a bit, then completely failed to get up and go out again.  I had stopped by M&S on the way home for one of their meal deals and so put our "takeaway" in the oven for half an hour - enchiladas, pizza fries, mozzarella sticks, and garlic bread.  Very nice indeed.

Saturday

Got up and went to the gym!  Leg Day was done - slightly heavier squats again (still very much not actually heavy though), a bit more on the leg press, and progress in the other various leg-based exercises too.

That afternoon we got the train over to see my sister and her family, settled in with party food and watched the semi-final of Strictly.  Much fun (and wine) was had by all.

Sunday

No training - went to the little Comic-Con that started this year at the local football club.  Not a proper one by any stretch of the imagination - in fact we were only there an hour!  I did manage to find a couple of Christmas presents and buy myself some Lego figures though, so it worked out pretty well in the end.  Saw a few cool cosplays too.

The rest of the day was spent doing various jobs & housework, then settled in early on the sofa with Ant Man & The Wasp (finally!) and Christmas shopping on the laptop.

Week's summary

Gym habit is definitely getting well-established.  I managed 4 trips out of my desired 3, and I'm making good progress so far.  Having a coffee on the train home on gym days seems to be helping, if only mentally.  I'll take a caffeinated placebo effect any day if it increases my lifts!

Drinking is reduced - drinking less on an evening if I am at all, and starting later too.

Food is getting a bit better - more preparation done, and the Welshman is also taking it into account as well when he cooks.

Feeling quite positive about things right now - definitely enjoying being back at lifting weights more regularly again.

• Like 3

Might as well update on this week too while I'm at it...

Monday

Took gluten-free snacks for work today, as well as a portion of the chilli I made for dinner last night.  I did eat slightly too many of the snacks, but they weren't very big so I guess that explains it.  Something to look out for next time I buy these ones.

Chest, Shoulders & Triceps after work - had a good session again.

Tuesday

Chicken & spinach curry in canteen at lunchtime.  Kept me nice & full for the afternoon so I didn't over-snack again.

Back & Biceps at the gyma after work - my deadlift is creeping up again now, and the weight I was using a month ago is now one of my warm-up sets!  Feels good to watch the numbers moving.  Also enjoying finishing off a session with gratuitous biceps curls...

Baked belly pork and seasonal veg for dinner tonight.  Hopefully the lack of carbs won't leave me starving all day tomorrow!

• Like 4

Hey hey, solid habit lifting guy with good food! I hear a lot about the apparent wizardry of having a coffee before a workout, but I’m always afraid that I won’t sleep or that my stomach will hate me. Seems to be working out well for you though, making me rethink my reluctance...

Well the logging got a way from me a bit - I did actually write an update for the rest of the week, but unfortunately it didn't post for some reason.  So let's just say that I hit all my workouts but also went away for the weekend to visit family.  There has been plenty of food & drink involved, and in the process of sitting in the back seat of cars I seem to knacker my lower back up a bit, hence no workouts this week so far.  But my Christmas shopping is near enough done.

Currently got my programme & diet planned for after Christmas, but until then I need to finish tying uop some loose ends and then enjoy my first Christmas spent with someone else's family!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big_Show said:

and in the process of sitting in the back seat of cars I seem to knacker my lower back up a bit

I'm too tall to sit comfortably in the back of most cars, it must be torture for you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 12/7/2018 at 7:02 AM, Big_Show said:

Then I got more stern with myself and just asked one of the guys how many sets he had left - turned out he was on his last one

Very cool, you're definitely building momentum :encouragement:

On 12/12/2018 at 7:14 AM, Big_Show said:

stopped by M&S on the way home

Oh man I really miss M&S food, nothing like it over here really.

Your xmas trees look great! 

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

On 12/22/2018 at 10:12 PM, Endor said:

Oh man I really miss M&S food, nothing like it over here really.

Really?  I could even get it in Qatar!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year nerds!

It has been an amazing week and a half.  Saw my family on Christmas Eve for our traditional curry, spent Christmas Day & Boxing Day with all of the Welshman's family (then also back there in the evening after work on the 27th & 28th).  On the Saturday after Christmas we went round to see my family to open presents with them, and on New Year's Eve we went to visit a couple of friends and had dinner followed by playing various card games.

I started back at the gym on Friday evening, hit my heaviest deadlift of the year on NYE (still not that heavy, but it's nice to be making progress!), and spent today continuing our big clearout of the house.  With a trip to the gym for squats, and also popped out for a G&T for good measure.

I have also been trying various recipes from my new Bacon cookbook.  Plenty of good things are happening here.

Back to the daily-ish updates from tomorrow, and a brief outline of my goals/strategies for 2019!

• Like 7

Ok, so this was the first proper day of 2019!  Back to work, in more ways than one.

I spent most of the day hobbling round from leg DOMS - every time I sat down for a while it took a good while for my quads to unseize again.  Guess that means I definitely worked yesterday!

Hit the gym again after work - today was Chest, Shoulders & Triceps.  Lifts all progressed slightly from when I did them last Friday, so that's a Good Thing.  Wasn't too busy really either; I'm guessing all the noobies haven't had chance to sign up and get started yet.  But I tend to get in there just before it gets busy after work, so I've usually got anything I need a bench or a squat rack for out of the way by the time more people rock up.

Dinner tonight is being cooked for me - we're both trying to shift some timber at the moment so I'm sure it'll be good quality.  And definitely much healthier than the majority of last year!

--------------------------------------------------

My plan for the first half of 2019 is mainly fat loss - I'm going on a family holiday to Center Parcs at the end of May, and that will involve a lot of time in the swimming pool (as it's the only thing that's free at that place!) and I don't want to feel at all self-conscious about being shirtless in front of people.  And then a month or so later we'll be probably be going on our proper holiday for just the two of us, and that will also involve pools and beaches.  And therefore more shirtlessness.

The main tactic for this is basically in the kitchen - sticking to mainly gluten-free foods (for the sake of my guts), meal-prepping & planning properly each weekend, avoiding the snacks in the office ("just the one" has never been a thing I can do); this kind of simple basic stuff that we all know is the key but I somehow find excuses not to stick to.

The other main factor is alcohol - I won't be drinking during the week, and I'll be trying not to drink as much over the weekend either.  We've got a wedding to save for, so this should help with that too.

Training-wise, I'm getting back to what I did in the sandpit - a three-day split of workouts in the gym.  I haven't been able to run in half a year thanks to the plantar fasciitis in one foot and the achilles tendinopathy on the other side, but on NYE I did the first week of a Couch to 5k programme - it seems really weird and kinda frustrating to be starting over like this when I used to do Ironman triathlons and marathons, but if it's all I can do than that's what I'll do.

I took my starting stats at the weekend (with kinda horrifying results):

- 120.1kg/264.8lbs

- 48" waist

Mainly focussed on getting 10" off that waistline.  Gonna be remeasuring at the beginning of each month to see if I'm making progress, and weighing myself weekly mainly to see if I'm getting light enough to safely increasing my running volume without injuring myself again/any more/in new and interesting ways.

So that's my aims for 2019 - nothing left now but to get on with it!

• Like 5