• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Ye Wall of Ice Ranger Guild Hall: General Chatter

TimovieMan enters the Guildhall, nods to his fellow Rangers, finds a chair next to the wall, places his bow beside him, and orders some dark Belgian beer.

ressource_304.jpg

• Like 5

tenor.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American Rangers!! I wanted to take a quick second in the midst of the revelry to invite each of us to be kind to our bodies and spirits today by doing for them what they need.

For some of us, that will look like "letting go" and enjoying a day to eat and drink without judging ourselves, knowing that we have good habits in place that give us the freedom to do so, and knowing that we will jump right back into tomorrow (or Saturday, depending on hangovers and travel and all that good stuff). 

For some of us, that will look like saying "no" to the temptation to eat or drink more than we can handle, so we don't trigger any disordered eating or drinking patterns that we're working to break free from. We can always invite someone to be our buddy and help us navigate this challenging holiday.

For those of us who are alone or separated from family, it may look like taking a little extra effort to Skype, call, or hunt up someone in-person to be with, if we feel isolated and left out. It can be scary to say "Hey, I'm lonely, can we talk for a little while?", but we're courageous Rangers and we know how to take care of ourselves.

And for all of us, it will hopefully look like taking a few minutes to think about what we're thankful for, and to celebrate the blessings that we have. Some of us are going through hard times, we're tired, we're feeling low or sad - on this day set aside for giving thanks, maybe taking a few minutes to list the things that are going right in our lives can bring a bit of sunshine back into our days.

I hope every one of you has wonderful, safe celebrations with the people you love. You guys will always be high up on that list for me.  :) 

• Like 10

A friendly Harrgath reminder that Real Life™ can absolutely be a RPG..

32b05cec5c81955fde743afee5303d60.jpg

On 11/21/2018 at 10:00 AM, TimovieMan said:

TimovieMan enters the Guildhall, nods to his fellow Rangers, finds a chair next to the wall, places his bow beside him, and orders some dark Belgian beer.

Have you had the Rocheforte 12yr?  Sampled some in a chalice in the middle of Brussels back in '15.

Tasted like barley wine and as sweet as plums!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Have you had the Rocheforte 12yr?  Sampled some in a chalice in the middle of Brussels back in '15.

Tasted like barley wine and as sweet as plums!

Ranger confession: I don't actually like beer, despite being Belgian. :angel:

I'm just very much aware of our international beer reputation, and I know which brands are popular/well liked among peers. :D

• Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 4:00 PM, TimovieMan said:

ressource_304.jpg

If this picture doesn't lure @Mr_Willes back to the Ranger fold, nothing will.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kasteelbier gets brewed about 10 miles from where I live! :)

The same brewery also makes Brigand beer, which is named after "De Brigands", the archery club where I practice. The beer fittingly has an archer on the bottle:

brigand.jpg

(an archer that has poor shooting form, but the brewery's marketing guy didn't want to listen when the club told him) :D

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

confession

That's okay.  I don't actually drink alcohol IRL, because I'm a recovered alcoholic.  But Ranger Hall drinks don't count.  :-)

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Kasteelbier gets brewed about 10 miles from where I live! :)

The same brewery also makes Brigand beer, which is named after "De Brigands", the archery club where I practice. The beer fittingly has an archer on the bottle:

I would drink this if only for the outlaw street cred.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2018 at 9:49 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

In that case, these are the ones we need to summon him...

e3-kasteelbier-selection-box.jpg

Oh wow, that Kasteel Rouge was my gateway drug to imported beers.  I even have the Kasteel beer glass packed up in a box somewhere!  I can't drink them anymore though, WAY too heavy and sweet and syrupy...... (I remember looking at the calorie count on them when I was tracking actively and ahahahaha BIG YIKE)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I would drink this if only for the outlaw street cred.

Actually, while "brigands" in French are highwaymen (and thus the outlaws you're thinking of), that name was given by the French to the peasant revolters during the Peasants' War here in the late 1700s. It was an uprising that was a precursor for Belgium's independence in 1830.

In the town where my archery club is, there's a commemorative plaque at the church in honour of the fallen "Brigands". That's where the club took the name.

And then the beer took the club's name. :D

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bf9b2dc4a67673155

• Like 3

On 11/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I don’t care if it’s winter warmer season, if you want me to give up my sour beer you’re going to have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you on this one

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Well Rangers, week 1 starts tomorrow, and this is not a battle speech. As many of you know, I am now doing more than Guild Leader-ing for the Rangers. I am now responsible for the whole forums. I'm still a Ranger and always will be. However, as my scope has increased, I will step back from direct leadership in the Ranger Corps and let the other GLs handle it. This is the last mini-challenge I will be running for the foreseeable future, and others will post the General Chat threads after this time around. Again, I'm not leaving, just changing my role. Other Guild Leaders and Ambassadors will be giving Battle Speeches from now on. It has been an honor to be a Guild Leader here, and it is an honor to lead the forums.

RANGERS GONNA RANGER!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Hey, hey, hey! That last one's not Belgian!!! fryingpan.gif

Hey Tim, I was reading about the E3 Haralbeke and went to Wikipedia to check out the town. It said the inhabitants consider the town to be Weireldstad and they have a monthly Harelbekedag on Ghent. Google isn’t being very helpful. What does this mean?

27 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Hey, hey, hey! That last one's not Belgian!!! fryingpan.gif

But it's still good.

Have to have luxembourgish beer here, because the mister NEEDS it!

15 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Hey Tim, I was reading about the E3 Haralbeke and went to Wikipedia to check out the town. It said the inhabitants consider the town to be Weireldstad and they have a monthly Harelbekedag on Ghent. Google isn’t being very helpful. What does this mean?

"Weireldstad" is our dialect way of saying "wereldstad", which means "global city". Very much a joke. :D

Students in Ghent having a monthly "Harelbeke Day" is pretty much a joke as well.

It's a case of the Wikipedia pulling your leg, I reckon. :P 

11 minutes ago, Arkania said:

But it's still good.

Yeah, I don't doubt that.

I'm not that chauvinistic. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2