Ye Wall of Ice Ranger Guild Hall: General Chatter

I love that video so much :highly_amused: We've been nervous about package thieves at our new house - it's the first time we've lived in a house versus an apartment complex (where the packages went to the office) and our front door is both a little bit hidden and really hard to close properly (the frame is kinda jacked up, and that's even after we fixed the originally far worse work) so we tend to avoid it and don't always remember to check immediately for packages even when we know they're coming. Everything has been fine so far, but it's still tempting to rig up something like this ourselves just in case!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

It's essentially covering a break for Christmas and New Year.  I've no insight into this but the new challenge board might be put up sooner than the 7th for week zero. 

I hope so cos I’m getting anxious about starting a new one for new year haha

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

It's essentially covering a break for Christmas and New Year.  I've no insight into this but the new challenge board might be put up sooner than the 7th for week zero. 

I have some insight and it will be up before the New Year :P

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Does anyone have experience with Icebug running shoes? I can't remember if I asked previously, but there is no way any of my trail runners will let me run (or even walk) on the slick ice trails we get.  The only pair I can find in my size is extremely expensive because the official retailers are all sold out... are they worth it?  Can you actually run on pure ice with the Bugrip?

5 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Does anyone have experience with Icebug running shoes? I can't remember if I asked previously, but there is no way any of my trail runners will let me run (or even walk) on the slick ice trails we get.  The only pair I can find in my size is extremely expensive because the official retailers are all sold out... are they worth it?  Can you actually run on pure ice with the Bugrip?

Not specifically ice bugs but some experience with running on ice :) (although bare in mind I live in the South of England and our winters in general aren't all that severe). Inov-8 also have a pair of shoes with the ice spikes built in the Arctic Claw which way or may not be cheaper than the Icebugs in your area. They are tiny metal spikes and so dig into ice and offer some traction. Their effectiveness I imagine depends on the severity of the ice and snow that you are running in. 

The much more pocket friendly version is to use something like yaktrax or microspikes. I've used yaktrax and they work well enough with the kind of ice and snow that I might encounter. They are horrible for running on pavement though but better than slipping on the ice. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Thanks, I've got microspikes for hiking but can't imagine running in them! 

I agree but apparently people do for mountain trail running in the winter (not something I'm likely to be getting up to). Personally I use these and they are more than enough to deal with the ice around here even if they are clattery and horrible to run on. I think if you look around other shoes might also be available with the ice cleats embedded into the outsole. 

81ocYsczzGL._SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, VanGrrl57 said:

Vangrrl57 arrives at the Ranger Guild Inn after a long period of health issues that kept her from chatting and fellowship. She asks for a mimosa and takes a seat to see what's going on.

Welcome Back!!

• Like 1