• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

19 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Funny enough she is a Transformers fan, but the videos kinda eviscerate the movies (especially the Bay parts) while being incredibly educational. 

I watched all of those as I was making dinner today and I have to say I learned a lot.  I was very surprised to find myself agreeing that Megan Fox played the most interesting and developed character in the entire series...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I watched all of those as I was making dinner today and I have to say I learned a lot.  I was very surprised to find myself agreeing that Megan Fox played the most interesting and developed character in the entire series...

I know right? It's kinda like the first movie actually had a writer. :D 

I mean no wonder there is a comic in an alternate universe where Sam dies and she deals with the plot instead.

• Like 2

This movie was EPIC! Boom and Baaang and wooooosh and explosions! (That's what I expect from a transformers movie)

Was there today, alone. Just a few people in the cinema :D

Besides some lofical issues (hey, it's Transformers!) it was great! And I loooove Bumblebee. Need one :D

And I forgot how nice going to the cinema is. Will do it regularly now!

Thanks!

• Like 3

On 12/24/2018 at 4:15 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Part of the charm from the cartoon was the way they talked  and interacted with the other Autobots.

We saw maybe a handful of episodes, through sheer luck being in the right place at the right time, of the cartoon series. We basically only know the movies.

Edited by elizevdmerwe
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 8:05 PM, TimovieMan said:

That and the fact that when the robots fight, you see thousands of pieces of metal hitting thousands of other pieces of metal, and the detail in the special effects is insane, yet you can't tell if it's an Autobot hitting a Decepticon or a Decepticon hitting an Autobot. You just can't tell them apart in the shuffle.

From a technical viewpoint, Michael Bay is in fact one of the best directors out there. Unfortunately there's a lot more to movies than just the technical side. Back when Don Simpson was still alive, he seemed to be able to take Bay's movies in the right direction on all non-technical aspects as well (by getting the right crew for the job). After he died, Bruckheimer just let Bay do whatever Bay wanted because his focus was also on the technical side, so we got explosions and pubescent scripts and sexism, and it only got worse over the years...

Yes, random metal character hitting random metal character was so frustrating. What do you mean by technical? Michael bay doesn't know what to do with actors that don't explode, and I'd consider directing actors one of the most important parts of being a director, but I'm not a filmmaker. 

On 12/25/2018 at 7:42 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I haven't seen the reviews yet, but given what you wrote I'd have to agree. She's the only one who's character has a believable backstory, but it's overshadowed by the way Bay sexualized her.

On 12/25/2018 at 8:09 AM, Echoceanic said:

I know right? It's kinda like the first movie actually had a writer. :D 

I mean no wonder there is a comic in an alternate universe where Sam dies and she deals with the plot instead.

Sam was almost tolerable in the third movie, I really think it was writing more than Shia LeBouf's acting that made me not like Sam.

19 hours ago, Arkania said:

This movie was EPIC! Boom and Baaang and wooooosh and explosions! (That's what I expect from a transformers movie)

Was there today, alone. Just a few people in the cinema :D

Besides some lofical issues (hey, it's Transformers!) it was great! And I loooove Bumblebee. Need one :D

And I forgot how nice going to the cinema is. Will do it regularly now!

Thanks!

So glad you enjoyed it and that you got back into a cinema.

6 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

We saw maybe a handful of episodes, through sheer luck being in the right place at the right time, of the cartoon series. We basically only know the movies.

I grew up with the original cartoon. As an adult I have DVD's of all of Generation 1 episodes and the animated movie. I've seen them all so much I can't watch them now without getting sleepy (at least I can only sit through a few episodes).

We had a great time over the extended weekend. Sunday was my first Sunday off in a long time, and I really enjoyed getting to go to church and help out without having to worry about leaving in time to get to work. That evening we saw Marvel's Frost Fight (animated Avengers Christmas Special, it's on Netflix and I recommend it). Christmas Eve my parents came over for dinner and we exchanged gifts and visited for a while. I got some deerskin leather gloves lined with sheepskin or wool or both and the promise of a flatcap made in Ireland (hasn't shipped yet). Christmas we spent with Sra. Tanque's family. We got a giftcard for a local movie theatre chain, and some 3D special edition Blu Ray disks (Black Panther, Solo, and Hobbit Battle of Five Armies). Some more haven't-shipped-yet gifts include some Special Edition BluRays of Star Trek movies. More important than the gifts was enjoying spending time with family. I go back to work this afternoon, but thanks to my days off I only work two days this week. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What do you mean by technical?

The technical aspect of directing films: camera work, special effects, practical effects (in this case mainly pyrotechnics), sound effects.

There's little negative to say about those aspects in his films, because if there's one director that can make explosions look beautiful, it's him.

But like you said, the technical side is actually one of the least important aspects, and Bay completely neglects to direct his actors. The only times he can get away with that is when the actors are top notch in themselves and don't need as much directing (like Nic Cage on a good day, Sean Connery and Ed Harris in The Rock). When he's working with the likes of Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox, well... :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

The technical aspect of directing films: camera work, special effects, practical effects (in this case mainly pyrotechnics), sound effects.

There's little negative to say about those aspects in his films, because if there's one director that can make explosions look beautiful, it's him.

I think he knows what they are but not always how to use them, especially when it comes to focus - why individual shots in the Transformers are pretty but confusing and the movies are a bit hard to remember. How good his movies are usually depends on the people he is working with, kinda like Joel Schumacher.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

I think he knows what they are but not always how to use them, especially when it comes to focus - why individual shots in the Transformers are pretty but confusing and the movies are a bit hard to remember. How good his movies are usually depends on the people he is working with, kinda like Joel Schumacher.

That's what made Don Simpson more important than Jerry Bruckheimer: he was the one with the contacts, involving the most talented people to support the director.

It's a shame he was a drug addict that died young.

• Like 2

Oi oi you there!  Tank!  

Hi!

Finally got a hot minute to catch up, and sounds like you are managing things in a good way.    Recognizing bandwidth limits and adjusting to meet them.   Excellent!    

Nerd confession, I never got into Transformers... mostly because my parents got me GoBots as they were cheaper.  I loved Leader One and Scooter though!     Glad to hear the new movie hit ya in the feelz and overall enjoyment sectors so much better than the others!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

But like you said, the technical side is actually one of the least important aspects, and Bay completely neglects to direct his actors. The only times he can get away with that is when the actors are top notch in themselves and don't need as much directing (like Nic Cage on a good day, Sean Connery and Ed Harris in The Rock). When he's working with the likes of Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox, well... :P

He'd be a much better director of cinematography than an actual director.

3 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

He's a sfx guy that got Peter principled.

2 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

That's what made Don Simpson more important than Jerry Bruckheimer: he was the one with the contacts, involving the most talented people to support the director.

It's a shame he was a drug addict that died young.

Hollywood isn't exactly the best environment for folks with addiction issues.

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Oi oi you there!  Tank!  

Hi!

Finally got a hot minute to catch up, and sounds like you are managing things in a good way.    Recognizing bandwidth limits and adjusting to meet them.   Excellent!    

Nerd confession, I never got into Transformers... mostly because my parents got me GoBots as they were cheaper.  I loved Leader One and Scooter though!     Glad to hear the new movie hit ya in the feelz and overall enjoyment sectors so much better than the others!

I remember the GoBots, I had a few. Leader One was awesome, even as a kid I never liked Scooter. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sam was almost tolerable in the third movie, I really think it was writing more than Shia LeBouf's acting that made me not like Sam.

Shia is a good actor, he is too convincing as the whiny ass in those movies to be a bad actor (the Twilight problem basically - decent actors portraying crappy characters so well people assume they are the problem). The second movie was written by Bay and it shows a lot.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 2:51 PM, Echoceanic said:

Shia is a good actor, he is too convincing as the whiny ass in those movies to be a bad actor (the Twilight problem basically - decent actors portraying crappy characters so well people assume they are the problem). The second movie was written by Bay and it shows a lot.

Bay is not skilled at writing, that's for sure.

I got to meet my Great Niece today for the first time!

5oUXxXX.jpg

Also, the new challenge forums are up. Here's my next challenge:

• Like 7

On 12/22/2018 at 8:30 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

He's even better in this movie. This movie managed to give us more robots, AND more plot, AND better humans. Also, there's no objectification of women, the romantic interests shown on screen are far more teen appropriate, and there are continuity nods to the G1 fans. It feels like a soft reboot, some things fit in with the Bayformers Timeline, others are changed.

That's how I rang in the new year :D When the movie ended it was 12:20 am. It was more PG compared to Bay's movies, I agree, and I saw some similarities between Sam Witwicky and Charlie. No spoilers I promise! 

• Like 1