Beyond Barbells: Tanktimus Bashes Barriers

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Why would a man who struggles with lycanthropy be named Remus Lupin? His name might as well be Werewolf McWerewolf.

*quietly takes this down for future use.........*

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Rutabaga

I Googled rutabaga and apparently one of the benefits of this fascinating root vegetable is supporting healthy skeletal structure THANK MR SKELTAL

• Like 3

Hi Tank! Sorry I'm late. It's cool to see you tackle bodyweight.

giphy.gif

When it comes to HP houses:

I have no idea why Ravenclaw has a eagle to it (or why Hufflepuffs have a badger), but our usual descriptor is 'trying to herd cats into a box' because the hat didn't say anything about discipline, just wanting to know all the things :D 

I usually either get Ravenclaw or Sytherin which is freaking hilarious to me. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Hi Tank! Sorry I'm late. It's cool to see you tackle bodyweight.

giphy.gif

When it comes to HP houses:

I have no idea why Ravenclaw has a eagle to it (or why Hufflepuffs have a badger), but our usual descriptor is 'trying to herd cats into a box' because the hat didn't say anything about discipline, just wanting to know all the things :D 

I usually either get Ravenclaw or Sytherin which is freaking hilarious to me. 

Welcome! I always get Hufflepuff, but that's common for people in the helping professions.

12 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

As far as I know, we use this in soup. Or the turnip cousin of rutabaga.

Glad you got a KB workout in, Tank.

Thanks. Rutabagas are basically bigger, yellow turnips. I think Brits call them swedes. 

Yesterday was a great day. Our small group ended the week before, so we just hung out all day. We went out for lunch, did some shopping. At REI we found something relevant to the interests of @shaar, @Sloth the Enduring and others.

BDKDlLD.jpg

We also got a new hat for me (sorry, forgot a pic) and a gift for my FIL. We puttered around a bit more then went home, where I saw Ip Man for the first time. It lived up to the hype. I made dinner.

I took steaks and seasoned them with olive oil, himalayan pink salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides and let them come to room temp for 30 minutes. I boiled some yukon gold potatoes, then mashed them with butter, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley. I preheated the oven to 425 with a cast iron skillet in it. Sra. Tanque likes her steak medium, so I seared it for two and a half minutes a side then put it in the oven still in the cast iron skillet for 6 minutes at 425. I then put some butter on it and tented it with some aluminum foil. Meanwhile I seared mine and had them rare. We also had some broccoli I steamed and added salt, pepper, and butter. It was incredible.

Today is a day. I woke up with a bad headache. We went to church where I helped set up for an area where I was serving but had to go home. Others covered for me. When we got home the headache was so bad I threw up. I napped for a while before Sra. Tanque took me to work. After being here a while I finally felt good enough to work, so I started seeing patients. I can function now, but I think I only have a good atitude about how I feel now because I was feeling so much worse earlier (I've been using NSAIDs to treat the pain and discomfort). I can keep stuff down now, but am not super hungry, I'm stopping when I'm full. 

• Like 14
1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’d like to read that just to see how there’s enough information on the topic to fill a book.

I suspect most of it has to be about the environmental impact.

19 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the headache. It always makes me sad when I'm sick and have to miss church

Thanks. Headache is far better now. It's still there, but no longer really affecting my ability to function, it's just uncomfortable now.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You get a lot of headaches. Is everything alright up there?

I have a ridiculous overbite (my top front teeth completely cover my lower front teeth). That throws my jaw out of alignment and causes knots in the muscles around my temples. Somtimes they cause bad headaches. I thought it might be TMJ syndrome, but when I had my wisdom teeth out I asked the Oral Surgeon about it. When he looked at the xrays he said I didn't have it (TMJ) and that it was my jaw clenching from the overbite causing the problem. We're considering invisalign to straighten my teeth in hopes that will eliminate the headaches.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ve asked you this before haven’t I? I’m sorry about all that. The occasional random headache I get is bad enough.

Trust me, there is no need to apologize. It's hard to remember everyone's backstory and several years worth of lore for each member of the rebellion.

And yes, it's been asked and answered before. ;) 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I saw Ip Man for the first time

Obsessed with these movies.

I'm so sorry about your headache and very glad that there seems to be an identifiable, treatable cause. I hope you're able to access said treatment very soon.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, fleaball said:

I think you may have mentioned this before, but do you have a night guard? Mine really helped with headaches and jaw clenching when I was wearing it. 

I do have one. Sometimes it seems to help, sometimes it seems to exacerbate the situation. I do breathe better with it in, but I've found I have to cycle using it to avoid jaw pain.

6 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Obsessed with these movies.

I'm so sorry about your headache and very glad that there seems to be an identifiable, treatable cause. I hope you're able to access said treatment very soon.

Thanks, we're debating about when to get invisalign because of the house buying goal, but it's gonna happen.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hope that headache clears off soon.  Even when they are not debilitating they are still super annoying

It did. I don't have a headache now, I'm recovering today.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’d like to read that just to see how there’s enough information on the topic to fill a book.

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I suspect most of it has to be about the environmental impact.

Dang.  Got me doin' a big think over here that there'd be a whole book about that..........

Headaches are the worst, I had one yesterday too that made me feel like death warmed over.  I think the worst thing is just feeling helpless while you are in pain (and throwing up), like gee, I hope these NSAIDS work...... glad you are on the mend!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Thanks, we're debating about when to get invisalign because of the house buying goal, but it's gonna happen.

Let me know when you need to pull yourself back from that financial cliff - I have a friend who's had a terrible experience with it! Ended up in it 3x as long, then got put in braces, has a random front tooth misbehaving like crazy, hates the whole thing. Be super careful.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh man that's a rough headache. I'm guessing you've already tried but maybe massages/acupuncture could at least give some relief to the symptoms? Glad you're feeling better now though!

Thanks. In my experience Massages and acupuncture don't help in the midst of a headache, they can clear up tight muscles that lead to headaches. Chiropractor visits help as well.

4 hours ago, Rinna said:

There’s a cheaper option where they send all the stuff through the mail for sizing etc.......

Smile Direct

My overbite is so severe I'm concerned I may need more direct assistance, though the price is tempting.

4 hours ago, shaar said:

Dang.  Got me doin' a big think over here that there'd be a whole book about that..........

Headaches are the worst, I had one yesterday too that made me feel like death warmed over.  I think the worst thing is just feeling helpless while you are in pain (and throwing up), like gee, I hope these NSAIDS work...... glad you are on the mend!

Thank you. I've thrown up twice this year, and I don't think I threw up at all in 2017. Both times were due to a headache.

1 hour ago, DaemonCorax said:

Let me know when you need to pull yourself back from that financial cliff - I have a friend who's had a terrible experience with it! Ended up in it 3x as long, then got put in braces, has a random front tooth misbehaving like crazy, hates the whole thing. Be super careful.

That's why I'm concerned about mail order aligners. I trust my dentist to tell me what will and won't work.

Today is a good day. I've been feeling fine, which is itself awesome. I did the NF Beginner Body Weight Workout and cooked.

I made Turmeric rice. I melted butter in a pot, and added minced garlic and minced ginger. I let that cook for a bit then added rice with salt, pepper, a splash of white wine vinegar and turmeric. I stir fried that for a bit then added chicken broth (with water, as I was almost out of broth) and let it come to a boil then covered the lid and turned it to low. It looked like this.

znunyQS.jpg?1

I then made squash. I took and sliced a yellow squash, a zucchini, and a calabaza squash and put them on a baking sheet lined with foil and added avocado oil, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, ginger powder, salt, pepper, and turmeric. I put them into a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. They looked like this.

ZPigFmJ.jpg?1

I then cooked 12 oz of ground lamb with salt, pepper, avocado oil, red wine vinegar, and garam masala till it was brown. I set it aside and in the liquid cooked a minced onion with minced garlic and minced ginger. I added the lamb back in with a can of coconut milk and added plenty of garam masala. I let that simmer while the veggies and rice were finishing. I then put the veggies on the rice and the lamb masala on top. It looked like this:

GcmAHHJ.jpg?2

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's why I'm concerned about mail order aligners. I trust my dentist to tell me what will and won't work.

Adult braces are totally a thing (I know three coworkers / friends with them). To be honest, there have been technology upgrades since we were young'ins. Now, they have ceramic and clear braces, which will blend in with your teeth making them super not noticeable. Also, in some cases, they can put the braces on the lingual side of your teeth (although, it might not be an option for you based on the overbite). 

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but as an aside for anyone else reading, talk to your (health) insurance company! If braces aren't just for cosmetic reasons, they may pitch in to cover part of the cost, particularly if it is documented. 

• Like 4