• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Night Watch Gonna Ranger: The Build the Wall Ranger Mini-Challenge

Winter is coming, and so our watch begins. We spent last mini-challenge working on boundaries in our mind, now we work on boundaries around the Ranger's forest. Inspiration struck, and while I'm not well versed with A Song of Fire and Ice (I only read the first two novels, never watched the show), it seemed like a good theme for the mini. We take our place on the wall.

fmjkw9cow2jz.gif

If you want to help build the wall, sign up on the spreadsheet. Each week will be a separate task, and you will compete for first place. 

Week 1: In order to get the ice, first we have to get to the ice fields. Your task for week 1 is to get some miles in. Any way you do them under your own power count. Record them next to your name in the Week 1 Task tab of the spreadsheet.

Week 2: Well done Rangers. You've reached the Ice Fields. Others have already cut the ice into blocks, it's your job to load them. Your task for week 2 is bodyweight squats. From 12:01 am Monday morning December 3rd your time, till 12:59 PM Sunday December 9th your time, record all bodyweight squats in the Week 2 Task tab of the spreadsheet.

Week 3: Well done on the previous week. As a reminder, you have till some random time Tuesday to log your squats. The ice blocks have been transported to the wall, now we need to draw up plans for placing them. Your task this week is meditation. Log them in the spreadsheet by minutes meditated. From 12:01 am Monday morning December 3rd your time, till 12:59 PM Sunday December 9th your time, record all meditation minutes in the Week 3 Task tab of the spreadsheet.

Week 4: Well done making it to week 4. As a reminder, you have till some random time Tuesday to log your meditation. A plan has been made to build the wall, now you have to get the ice blocks in the right place. It's a bit of a stretch tying this weeks task to the narrative, but here it is: Do yoga, and record the minutes of yoga done. Just as yoga stretches our body to get back into alignment, the ice blocks need to go into proper alignment with the wall.

• Like 4

On 11/16/2018 at 9:57 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Week 1: In order to get the ice, first we have to get to the ice fields. Your task for week 1 is to get some miles in. Any way you do them under your own power count. Record them next to your name in the Week 1 Task tab of the spreadsheet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If the miles are under your own power, they count. Biking is under your own power, it counts.

But does it have to be deliberate, though? Because just walking the kids to school and back is half a mile, and walking from my car to my desk at work and back is half a mile as well. And I'm walking those regardless...

It doesn't feel like much of a challenge if I'm counting what I'm doing anyway...

2 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

But does it have to be deliberate, though? Because just walking the kids to school and back is half a mile, and walking from my car to my desk at work and back is half a mile as well. And I'm walking those regardless...

It doesn't feel like much of a challenge if I'm counting what I'm doing anyway...

You don't have to count those miles if you don't want to, just know everyone is allowed to. The decision is yours.

Hey wait up! *pant pant* Heard we were *gasp* headed to the ice fields? I'm in! Anybody want some hand warmers before we head out?

For my fellows tentatively joining, I'm completely with you, and I believe in you! We're all on this thread to cheer each other on, so when I start dying on the sidelines, I'll call out to you; and when it's your turn to struggle, you call back! (Yes, I took bardic inspiration, what else you want to know? :D)

• Like 5

On 11/26/2018 at 11:03 PM, maegs said:

TFW you have to convert km to miles and the number goes way down

sad.gif

I have one of my apps set to kms and it makes me feel like I'm so much cooler than I am... until I realize it's km and not mi...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For those joining mid week or later, you can include miles done between 12:01 am Monday morning November 26th, and 11:59 PM Sunday evening December 2. In other words, miles you got in before posting on this thread still count, provided they were done in that window. On Tuesday, Dec 3 at some point I'll lock out the week 1 task, so don't take to long to record your miles.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2018 at 9:57 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Week 2: Well done Rangers. You've reached the Ice Fields. Others have already cut the ice into blocks, it's your job to load them. Your task for week 2 is bodyweight squats. From 12:01 am Monday morning December 3rd your time, till 12:59 PM Sunday December 9th your time, record all bodyweight squats in the Week 2 Task tab of the spreadsheet.

• Like 3

Quick form question, and something that's been bugging me for a while: are there any tips or tricks to keep your heels on the ground during a squat?

Before doing the BW workouts here, I didn't even know the heels were supposed to stay on the ground. Lifting the heels allows me to go as deep as ass-to-heel, but while keeping the heels on the ground, I have difficulty in getting my thighs to parallel with the ground.

With my feet slightly further apart and my tows a bit more outward (and turning my knees outward as well during the squat), I can get to parallel with the ground without my heels rising, but not lower.

I've read that squatting lower is more of a workout for the glutes, calves and hamstrings, and those are less developed than my quads, so I'd rather target those more.

Any pointers?

• Like 1