14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Off to a great start :)  Here's to no arguments the entire time!  

Enjoy your holidays!

36 hours now! :D 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, @mu said:

Yeah for parents being good :P

Ooooh exciting!! I saw her announcement, the bit about self-evaluation / assessment is very interesting. I have all her active flexibility programmes and it's just too much raw information. I'm really curious to know what you think about it and how it goes. I think you get 1 month of the Facebook group with it? Feedback would be so valuable.

Talking about programmes, Kirsty Grosart (@garagegymgirl) also released a press to HS programme (with theory and drills) that include feedback on videos. Right now I'm too busy with P2 to get on a specific programme (and a bit low on available budget too) but I would definitely consider it. I really like what she does. Plus she has a pretty one-arm handstand + and she can do HS pushups too...

The self assessment side of it sounds really good, because as you say the old programs just have SO much information and they take quite a long time of you want to do all of it. And it’s hard to tell which exercises would give the most bang for their buck. So I’m hoping this will clear things up! :) 

I did consider her press to HS program as I think it might be a fun shiny to pursue next year :). But I think her approach might be too gymastic-y for me. I’m sure it’s great, but I kinda want to wait for Mikael Kristiansen to release an intermediate HS program (he just released a one arm HS program, but I’m sure a press program will come too). I did a course with him years ago back in Stockholm and he’s one of my favourite teachers ever! His style 100% resonates with me. Unfortunately he went on tour after that course which left me with a HS teacher void since. :sorrow: 

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I did consider her press to HS program as I think it might be a fun shiny to pursue next year :). But I think her approach might be too gymastic-y for me. I’m sure it’s great, but I kinda want to wait for Mikael Kristiansen to release an intermediate HS program (he just released a one arm HS program, but I’m sure a press program will come too). I did a course with him years ago back in Stockholm and he’s one of my favourite teachers ever! His style 100% resonates with me. Unfortunately he went on tour after that course which left me with a HS teacher void since. :sorrow:  

Yes that's true, she has a gym background. I didn't know about Mikael Kristiansen so I looked him up, very very interesting! In particular, I randomly found a post by him talking about cubitus valgus vs HS shape (in text and comments) and it's not something I've come across very often! I do have a bit of that, when my arms are straight over head, elbows at ear level,  my hands are even further back. If I want my hands to be over my shoulders, I have to move my elbows forward (before my ears). There is nothing I can do about it, it's the forearm bone structure that has a slight deviation. I don't think it's a "problem" or that it might prevent me from reaching a straighter shape, but it is a little peculiarity :D 

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

20 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I want to be able to do all the cool things

Well, welcome to the Assassins, where we do all the cool things :) 

Image result for One of us gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

12 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Had to re-read the guild descriptions...

Assassins:

Every building can be climbed, every gap can be jumped, every obstacle can be conquered. Assassins spend most of their time training with functional body-weight exercises, as that’s usually the only thing they need to lift. Gymnasts and parkour enthusiasts would fit into this category.

Can't say I'm much of neither a gymnast nor a parkour enthusiast :( 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Can't say I'm much of neither a gymnast nor a parkour enthusiast :( 

Not a problem, those are certainly not requirements.  The Assassins are primarily about bodyweight exercises, so those are some examples of things Assassins might enjoy.  The things you listed above (HS pushups, pullups, rings) are totally Assassiny things.  :) 

One of the key defining features of the Assassins is that we love to do all of the cool things, which we have coined into a phrase called chasing shinies.

Or hunting shinies, in my case ;) 

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes that's true, she has a gym background. I didn't know about Mikael Kristiansen so I looked him up, very very interesting! In particular, I randomly found a post by him talking about cubitus valgus vs HS shape (in text and comments) and it's not something I've come across very often! I do have a bit of that, when my arms are straight over head, elbows at ear level,  my hands are even further back. If I want my hands to be over my shoulders, I have to move my elbows forward (before my ears). There is nothing I can do about it, it's the forearm bone structure that has a slight deviation. I don't think it's a "problem" or that it might prevent me from reaching a straighter shape, but it is a little peculiarity :D 

He’s awesome, he has such a deep understanding about handstands and HS lines and just about everything! I also really appreciate that his approach is very much focused on efficiency rather than “perfection”, which is going to vary hugely between individuals. Like my butt is always going to be too big achieve a perfectly straight line haha. :D 

• Like 1

I just read through the Valgus post, very interesting stuff.  It is a very good reminder than I need to think more in terms of points of balance rather than lines.

Level 2 Ninja

On 12/28/2018 at 8:56 PM, Mad Hatter said:

he just released a one arm HS program

Shiny! Want it!

oh, wait, I can't do a regular one yet, shhhhhittt

Still no arguments? If so, congratulations!

• Haha 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Alternatively, the Rangers do ALL the things. By definition that includes all the cool things. B)

• Like 2

My character: Ranger TimovieMan

Active challenges: TimovieMan becomes a Time Lord

Older challenges and threads: TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. IIIPt. IIPt. I | TimovieMan's Daily Struggles on the Road

Weight loss goal: 35+ kg (80 pounds): 47% completed

No arguments is a big win - still going strong?

Also, lol at the Christmas dinner confusion - my family does both (dad’s side 24th, mom’s 25th) but didn’t realize the 24th was common in most of Northern Europe (we’re Polish).

And curse you / thank you for enlightening me to all these hand balancing shinies - gonna be chasing them a bunch next year!

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Everything still going smooth on the parents front?

After reading the IG post about handstands last night, I decided to do some handstands and film them to see how my handstands stack up.  Apparently, shoulder mobility is a real issue for getting the beautiful lines, but in terms of weight alignment, I am still getting (for the most part) all of the key places balanced.  I look more like the Mexican alignment he mentioned with the chest sticking out and legs counterbalancing to the other side, though.

6 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Alternatively, the Rangers do ALL the things. By definition that includes all the cool things. B)

But also by definition it means all of the uncool and boring things too.  :P  The problem with the Ranger "All the things" line is that it effectively eliminates the purpose for any other guilds.  Rangers do X, so if you also do X you fit as a Ranger, ergo everyone fits as a Ranger.  The result is a huge Ranger guild that has no focus and all the other guilds are tiny, because most people don't limit themselves to only guild specific activities.  There isn't a fixed line between any of the guilds to include or exclude and just because you do things outside of the guild focus does not mean you automatically have to go be a Ranger.  /rant

Sorry @Mad Hatter for hijacking your thread... :( 

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The result is a huge Ranger guild that has no focus and all the other guilds are tiny, because most people don't limit themselves to only guild specific activities.  There isn't a fixed line between any of the guilds to include or exclude and just because you do things outside of the guild focus does not mean you automatically have to go be a Ranger.  /rant

The longer I've been on NF, the less relevant the guilds have seemed. (Back in the day, all the guilds were pretty large, though. It's gotten a lot quieter since 2015 when I first joined.) If you've got a special focus, like parkour or heavy lifting or rock climbing, then it can be nice to find others who share it. Otherwise, we're all kind of doing the same stuff to different degrees. Having people who are acting as accountability and sounding board is the valuable part.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2018 at 11:48 PM, zenLara said:

Shiny! Want it!

oh, wait, I can't do a regular one yet, shhhhhittt

That might have been my thought process too. :P But I controlled myself haha. Also I don't think I'll ever even try to pursue one arms.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:05 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

And curse you / thank you for enlightening me to all these hand balancing shinies - gonna be chasing them a bunch next year!

Well not me, but I'm glad to point you in the right direction!

On 12/30/2018 at 7:06 AM, WhiteGhost said:

After reading the IG post about handstands last night, I decided to do some handstands and film them to see how my handstands stack up.  Apparently, shoulder mobility is a real issue for getting the beautiful lines, but in terms of weight alignment, I am still getting (for the most part) all of the key places balanced.  I look more like the Mexican alignment he mentioned with the chest sticking out and legs counterbalancing to the other side, though.

But also by definition it means all of the uncool and boring things too.  :P  The problem with the Ranger "All the things" line is that it effectively eliminates the purpose for any other guilds.  Rangers do X, so if you also do X you fit as a Ranger, ergo everyone fits as a Ranger.  The result is a huge Ranger guild that has no focus and all the other guilds are tiny, because most people don't limit themselves to only guild specific activities.  There isn't a fixed line between any of the guilds to include or exclude and just because you do things outside of the guild focus does not mean you automatically have to go be a Ranger.  /rant

Sorry @Mad Hatter for hijacking your thread... :( 

If you have issues with shoulder mobility it's not really possible to get into that Mexican alignment which he's talking about. I couldn't find a good example, but maybe you remember in some of my videos my alignment looks quite aesthetic up to my shoulders but then I pike a lot? That's a compensation for having too open shoulders similarly to a Mexican. Most likely you're rather doing a banana handstand, where the shoulders are in front of the line of balance rather than behind it. It's also a less efficient position from an alignment point of view, but it's up to you decide how much you care, it really depends on your goals. :) 

Haha no worries about hijacking! Always appreciate a good rant. ;) I'm not sure why the ranger guild has grown so disproportionally big considering it's been the same definition for years and before it was more spread out. Better marketing recently perhaps? But I do think a slightly narrower definition might be better, say crossfit/OCR.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:08 PM, Tobbe said:

Agreed! We're all just here to have a good time and to improve our lives, right?

Truth.

• Like 3

I survived my family! And I'm still friends with my dad - WIN! We did get into a minor spat or two but overall it was pretty chill. Spent some time with old friends too which is always lovely, other than that I didn't really do much. My mum's had foot surgery and she's still very restricted in how much she can move so I mostly stayed at home.

Anywho, let's get 2019 started! :D 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

If you have issues with shoulder mobility it's not really possible to get into that Mexican alignment which he's talking about. I couldn't find a good example, but maybe you remember in some of my videos my alignment looks quite aesthetic up to my shoulders but then I pike a lot? That's a compensation for having too open shoulders similarly to a Mexican. Most likely you're rather doing a banana handstand, where the shoulders are in front of the line of balance rather than behind it. It's also a less efficient position from an alignment point of view, but it's up to you decide how much you care, it really depends on your goals.

OK, I see what you mean.  I misunderstood what he meant when he said pushing out the chest.  Here is a recent picture of a handstand and you can see what I am talking about with the shoulders.

R2zkl2M.jpg

Level 2 Ninja

At least it looks like you can align hand-elbow-shoulder, I took some pictures to illustrate my cubitus valgus story, since we are happily hijacking Mad Hatter's thread :D

Aligning elbow with shoulder:

cv2.jpg.86271ac1da89fbe2b0abd94e5bd4a13f.jpg

Aligning hand with shoulder:

cv1.jpg.5d6fde0e932fe56228f974f4d1cd4901.jpg

My arm is not bent. It's just the way the forearm bone connects.

• Like 3

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

8 minutes ago, @mu said:

I took some pictures to illustrate my cubitus valgus story

Wow, I never noticed that from all of your update videos.  Also, it seems really unusual to see you right side up, I am so used to seeing you inverted :D 

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

OK, I see what you mean.  I misunderstood what he meant when he said pushing out the chest.  Here is a recent picture of a handstand and you can see what I am talking about with the shoulders.

R2zkl2M.jpg

Yup, classic banana. :D But nothing wrong with that. 

8 hours ago, @mu said:

At least it looks like you can align hand-elbow-shoulder, I took some pictures to illustrate my cubitus valgus story, since we are happily hijacking Mad Hatter's thread :D

Oh I love the hijacking. Those pictures make it very clear. Would've been useful a few days ago when I was standing in front of a mirror trying to figure out the geometries in different arm positions. :D 

• Like 1

very late to the party but so glad to see you dismantled the sneaky brain liars quickly and recovered like a rock star from the plague - climbing?! Woot woot!!!

Big YAY to the new circus flexy training and ... did I hear dancing?

Squeeeeeeee, off to catch up on your new thread which is probably miles long already :lol:

Let's have a most wonderful NEW YEAR

PS: on the mention of mind funk vs habits, I found "Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself" a most fascinating read on how our neural networks and thinking/feeling loops develop and how we can change way more of it than we assume. It takes some decisive, consistent readjustment though. 

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too