• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky goes back through the Stargate...

stargate.jpg

Ugh... I took some time off (about 8 weeks) while I went through some significant rehab on my torn adductor.

During that time, I:

Set 12 new Pr's on my Benching... current max is 132.5kg.

Re-tore the damned adductor which took extra time to heal.

Popped a rib (right where it connects to the spine) which was super painful.

Re-tore my oblique (whhich only took 7 days to fully heal this time).

Did zero cardio or conditioning.

Put on 3 kg.

Got very lazy with my language practice.

Now I'm starting to huff and puff after walking up my short staircase... ie: I need to start doing something.

Gonna keep it simple:

Get strong enough to rip an Alien's head off (STR GOAL): +1 STR for each PR/rep PR.

Get fit enough to run away from his friends (CON GOAL): Do 2 x 20min+ cardio sessions per week. +1 CON per week.

Learn an Alien language (INT GOAL): Make time for 2hrs of Russianing. +1 INT per week.

It's going to be a Stargate theme as that's what I've been watching recently when training. I last did a Stargate theme almost 18 months ago and yes, I will be recycling the same old jokes/memes...

• Like 3

Mon 19 Nov

________________________________________________________________________________

Training

Max Effort Lower:

- Reverse band SSB BxSQ: new 1RM of 167.5kg (1st PR of the challenge). Up 22.5kg since last time I tried this.

- Deficit deadlifts: 3's at 130kg - I would have gone higher but I got a weird pain/sensation from my hip.

- Comp SQ: 5s at 80kg - I would have gone higher but... see above.

- Lunges: 80 lunges without stopping.

- Back extensions.

No cardio/conditioning

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Other stuff

No language practice.

I put up some more hooks in the gym for various stuff.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

hi.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +1

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 0/10

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 0/10

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blocky said:

Re-tore the damned adductor which took extra time to heal.

Popped a rib (right where it connects to the spine) which was super painful.

Re-tore my oblique (whhich only took 7 days to fully heal this time).

Absolutely none of these should be healed in a week. Has being in Australia given you a permanent head rush?

6 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Absolutely none of these should be healed in a week. Has being in Australia given you a permanent head rush?

Heh... no...

The adductor is now going on 6 months (and the consensus is that it will take up to a year). I have a stretching regime which is helping a lot.

The rib thing took about a month.

But the oblique thing seems good to go already. I wasn't expecting to squat over 120kg yesterday, so the 167.5 was a pleasant surprise.

It weird... but the more I fuck shit up, the quicker it heals. When I first bulged a disc, it took 3 months - the second time took 3 weeks and the latest time took 1 week. Like any sort of linear progression, I think I have kicked my recovery abilities in overdrive...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blocky said:

It weird... but the more I fuck shit up, the quicker it heals. When I first bulged a disc, it took 3 months - the second time took 3 weeks and the latest time took 1 week. Like any sort of linear progression, I think I have kicked my recovery abilities in overdrive...

The opposite of diminishing returns. I like it.

• Like 1

Tue 20 Nov

________________________________________________________________________________

Training

20 mins of cycling and kettlebell swings.

Several trips with 1-arm farmer's walks. I really think these will be the key to fixing my oblique issues.

Other stuff

Nothing yet

528bdafead409.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +1

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 1/10

Wed 21 Nov

Training

Max Effort Upper:

- Bench vs 12.5kg band tension: up to a single at 125kg (+2.5kg PR).

- Comp Bench: 8s up to 90kg.

- Pendlay Rows: 5s up to 95kg.

- DB Bench: 4 sets of 16 with 20kg DBs.

- TRX Rows: 4 sets

- A bunch of tricep extensions and curls

No cardio/conditioning

Other stuff

Had to do some landlording... drove 20 mins each way to tighten a sink fixture...

Were-going-to-build-an-iris-make-earth-g

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +2

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 1/10

On 11/20/2018 at 7:48 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

welcome back! sorry to see the injuries but glad you are taking care of yourself and stopping when your body says "eff that"

Thanks... I'm not good at stopping but it's something I'm working on...

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 4:03 PM, Blocky said:

528bdafead409.jpg

They seem like experts, so I have a question. I'd like to attempt to build my own time travel machine, but I don't want to take meth. Is this normal? 

P.S. 132.5kg bench sounds excellent. V impressed. What is "popping" a rib, though? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

They seem like experts, so I have a question. I'd like to attempt to build my own time travel machine, but I don't want to take meth. Is this normal? 

Presumably, meth will cut the time to completion quite a bit... however, the work may be a bit shoddy...

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

What is "popping" a rib, though? 

Ribs.jpg

It felt like the cartelidge that joins one of the circled ribs to the spine let go (probably just partially)... similar to dislocating a shoulder... it went back in but was just painful for a few weeks.

13 minutes ago, Harriet said:

P.S. 132.5kg bench sounds excellent. V impressed.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thur 22 And Fri 23 Nov

Training

Thurs: Did my usual movement and mobility circuit + 1 arm farmer's walks for the obliques... not counting this as my cardio though as I did no steady state stuff.

Fri: Finally a decent session with no major aches or pains...

Dynamic Effort Lower:

- BxSQ with SSB + 10kg chains: 10 doubles at 120kg for speed, the YOLO'd singles up to a new PR of 160kg + chains.

- DLs: 3 doubles at 170kg. Ouch.

- Comp SQ: 8s at 80kg for technique practice. No weird hip pain this time.

- Leg Press and Good mornings for accessories.

No cardio/conditioning

Other stuff

Nope.

what-we-can-learn-from-south-park-and-st

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +3

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 1/10 sessions

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 0/10 hours

• Like 1

Sat 24 Nov

Training

Repetition Effort Upper:

- Closegrip Bench: worked up to an overwarmup single of 115kg, then 8s at 80kg.

- Push Press: 5s at 60kg.

- Standing Barbell Row: 8s up to 72.5kg (New Rep PR).

- Pushups, More rows, Curls...

I did the cardio... 20 mins of Kettlebell Swings and Biking.

Other stuff

Ugh... the filter on our pool has crapped out... we got a guy out to look at it... the conversation went thusly:

Me: Sooooo... how much for a new one?

Guy (said in quite a nonchalant manner): Oh... about $1000...

Me: .... Fuck... no swimming this year I guess....

giphy-3.gif

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +4 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 2/10 sessions  +1 CON

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 0/10 hours

• Sad 1

Sun 25 Nov

Training

Rest day.

Other stuff

So many things....

Cleaned the gym

Edged and mowed

Worked on the pool (it takes so much more effort with the filter broken)

Took some crap to the dump

Bought some more chemicals for the pool

And.... finally did some Russian-ing. I've started typing out all my notes (which is quite a long process - I'm writing all the english bits on my laptop and then transferring the file to my tablet to type in the Russian bits (it has the russian keyboard).

giphy-4.gif

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +4 STR

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 2/10 hours  +1 INT

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Did you pick Russian for any special reason? 

A few reasons:

I have a fair chunk of Russian DNA from about 4 generations ago (my ancestors on mg Dads side were pre-communist Tsarist guards).

Mrs Blocky and I went there on our honeymoon and again earlier this year. Not many people speak English, so having some language skills made things a lot easier.

I don't have many hobbies that aren't gym related... this gives me an outlet to challenge myself...

• Like 1

Mon 26 Nov

Training

Max Effort Lower:

Sq vs 10ish kg band tension: New 1RM in sleeves at 160kg + bands + New 1RM in wraps at 165kg + bands.

Deficit DLs: up to 130kg - 9 sets

Box Sq: 5s up to 120kg - 8 sets

Lunges: 80

Back extensions: 3 x 10

Other stuff

Nothing yet.

giphy-6.gif

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +6 STR

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 2/10 hours  +1 INT

• Like 3

On 11/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, Blocky said:

A few reasons:

I have a fair chunk of Russian DNA from about 4 generations ago (my ancestors on mg Dads side were pre-communist Tsarist guards).

Mrs Blocky and I went there on our honeymoon and again earlier this year. Not many people speak English, so having some language skills made things a lot easier.

I don't have many hobbies that aren't gym related... this gives me an outlet to challenge myself...

Yeah, it's definitely good to have some non-gym activities. Lifting improves so slowly we need other things to occupy us. Also, it's probably good to exercise the creative and intellectual muscles sometimes. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 6:17 PM, Blocky said:

So, what you're telling me is that you are becoming Wolverine, yes? That's cool..

• Like 2

Tue 27 & Wed 28 Nov

Training

Tues

Did some cardio and some 1 arm farmers walks with 45kg.

Wed

Yup it's Bench day (as you can see from this amazingly realistic photo)!

stargate-bench.jpg

Max Effort Upper:

- Reverse band Bench (+20kg at lockout): New 1RM of 125kg (145kg at lockout). Then for shits and gigs, I used the slingshot for a single at 130kg (150kg at lockout).

- Plain ol' Bench: 5 triples at 100kg.

- Pendlay Row: worked up to a new 8RM at 80kg.

- the other stuff: DB Bench, Rows on TRX, tricep extensions and curls.

It was a good day, but I can tell it took a toll on my shoulder... I see lots of mobility work in my immediate future...

Other stuff

- Sent the pool filter away for repair (Mrs Blocky got her own way and they are going to fix it under warranty even though it's been out of warranty for a month).

- Did a little Russian-ing.

hi.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +8 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 3/10 sessions  +1 CON

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 3/10 hours  +1 INT

• Like 2